Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Frakes: Sign Me Up!
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old January 16 2009, 09:09 AM   #1
Dream
Admiral

Keanu Reeves will be Spike Spiegel in Cowboy Bebop movie

Twentieth Century Fox is bringing the Japanese anime TV series "Cowboy Bebop" to the big screen, with Keanu Reeves attached to star as a bounty hunter traveling through space in 2071.

One of the big titles in anime, "Bebop" is set in a time where "astral gates" make interstellar travel possible. Humanity, decimated by a lunar explosion resulting from a gate accident, spread out across the solar system, as did crime, which gave rise to the use of bounty hunters.

Reeves would play Spike Spiegel, a bounty hunter and former member of a crime syndicate. Spiegel, along with Jet Black, a fellow bounty hunter and former cop, are the two pilots of the spaceship Bebop.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/...120ead30352504

I loved the anime. I was hoping this rumor wasn't going to turn out true! At least Reeves already has some experience with weapons and martial arts after working in the Matrix series. I guess I'll give him a chance.
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16 2009, 09:15 AM   #2
JonathonWally
Admiral

View JonathonWally's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to JonathonWally Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to JonathonWally
Re: Keanu Reeves will be Spike Spiegel in Cowboy Bebop movie

Keanu's been wanting this role for a long time, he's been very outspoken about it. The real trouble lies in who get's cast for the other roles.
Are you hearin me, like I'm hearin you?
JonathonWally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16 2009, 09:17 AM   #3
Herkimer Jitty
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Herkimer Jitty

Well, now I have to practice pretending not to like Cowboy Bebop to avoid becoming associated with the inevitably shit movie.
Old January 16 2009, 11:19 AM   #4
Thespeckledkiwi
Vice Admiral

Location: TheBolianChef is no more! It's theSpeckledKiwi now!

Adrian Brody as Spike
Robert DiNeiro as Jet
??? as Fay
A Corgi as Ein
Some little kid for Ed

Come on! Was it that hard???
Thespeckledkiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16 2009, 12:25 PM   #5
The Borg Queen
Rear Admiral

Will the promo poster be a picture of Ed with the caption: "Cowboy Bebop at his computer?"

Old January 16 2009, 01:55 PM   #6
flavaflav
Commander

i don't mind Reeves getting cast. Though he is a bit too old. Just so long as the get the same peep that did the anime music.
flavaflav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16 2009, 02:45 PM   #7
Thrall
Commodore

TheBolianChef wrote: View Post
Adrian Brody as Spike
Robert DiNeiro as Jet
??? as Fay
A Corgi as Ein
Some little kid for Ed

Come on! Was it that hard???
Charlize Theron as Fay. She's the only big time actress with the legs to pull it off.
Old January 16 2009, 02:50 PM   #8
Maab of the Ten Tribes
Captain

I cant say i am thrilled with this announcement. I just dont think Keanu is Spike. Still, I will more than likely give it a shot.
Maab of the Ten Tribes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16 2009, 03:07 PM   #9
The Laughing Vulcan
Admiral

I'll be watching the series again, and Knocking on Heaven's Door, while the movie's flopping at the box office. And if Yoko Kanno does do the soundtrack, I'll buy the CD...

Anime @ MyReviewer
The Laughing Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16 2009, 03:15 PM   #10
Evil_Kirkneivel
Lieutenant Commander

Can anyone comment on the similarity between Cowboy Bebop and Firefly? Some poster somewhere seemed to think Firefly was a ripoff of it. I've seen all of Firefly and bits of Bebop and I don't really see much of a resemblance other than some similarity of the basic concept.

Anyway, I'm wondering if a live action Bebop will look like a ripoff of Firefly (not that Reeves can measure up to Nathan Fillion).
Old January 16 2009, 04:27 PM   #11
Venardhi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi

I don't think anyone but Reeves himself honesty wants him to be Spike. He might do a passable job, but he really doesn't suit the character as-written. . . at all.
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Venardhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16 2009, 04:37 PM   #12
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

Well, when you mention a live action movie, I'm sure Keanu all crossed our minds, even if you didn't actually want him to take the role. If nothing else, his involvement will probably help it toward completion. I think it would be cool if he could get Spike's body language down which I think is a big part of the character and I think Keanu could pull it off with his lean body.

We'll see, I think there are so many aspects of the anime that will be hard to capture that this is only the start of what could go wrong but if they could get close at all this could be a really cool movie.

TheBolianChef wrote: View Post
Adrian Brody as Spike
That's an interesting choice, I could picture that though I'm not sure if he's ever done a similar role.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16 2009, 04:43 PM   #13
Venardhi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi

The biggest issue I have with Reeves is he doesn't have a narrator's voice. Whoever plays Spike needs to have that hard boiled detective movie self-narration sound. And he just generally always looks and acts like he has a stick up his ass. INTENSEly far up his ass.
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Venardhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16 2009, 05:56 PM   #14
Pilot Ace
Captain

Ugh, this isn't good news. I don't feel as though Reeves can even come close to capturing Spike's non nonchalant intensity that defines the character.

Evil_Kirkneivel wrote: View Post
Can anyone comment on the similarity between Cowboy Bebop and Firefly? Some poster somewhere seemed to think Firefly was a ripoff of it. I've seen all of Firefly and bits of Bebop and I don't really see much of a resemblance other than some similarity of the basic concept.

Anyway, I'm wondering if a live action Bebop will look like a ripoff of Firefly (not that Reeves can measure up to Nathan Fillion).
There is no real resemblance other than basic concept. They're both space shows that don't go the shiny, Star Trek future route and the main group of characters in each are not regularly employed. There is little more to the similarity.

The other commonly hailed anime that Firefly ripped off was Outlaw Star, which is a slightly better comparison (but still little more than a passing resemblance). Again, both set in futures that are not Star Trek shiny, both have a girl in a box (although everything about the characters are completely and utterly different), both main groups of characters are not regularly employed and work with the concept of 'any job to keep going,' both crews end up getting chased/hunted by people who want the girl in the box, and both ships use a twirly light show on the back for their equivalent of FTL travel. That's about as far as the comparison goes.

In fact, Cowboy Bebop and Outlaw Star have more in common with each other than they do with Firefly. But, that's a different topic.
Pilot Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16 2009, 07:17 PM   #15
CorporalClegg
Admiral

Venardhi wrote: View Post
The biggest issue I have with Reeves is he doesn't have a narrator's voice. Whoever plays Spike needs to have that hard boiled detective movie self-narration sound. And he just generally always looks and acts like he has a stick up his ass. INTENSEly far up his ass.
Yup. Plus, he simply a poor actor--and he has no comedic timing at all. (Maybe Blum can give him acting lessons. )

One thing I'm really afraid of is this will be a hi-concept serious sci-fi action flick which just isn't Beebop at all.

I think it's going to be a disaster.