Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Site Forums > TrekToday News Items

TrekToday News Items Discussion of TrekToday news items

Old January 14 2009, 07:49 AM   #1
TrekToday
Rear Admiral

Pine: Star Trek XI Not Steamy

Despite hints in the trailer, don't expect Star Trek XI to be steamy according to Chris Pine.

As reported by E!Online, in spite of Pine's previous statement that the Star Trek franchise had been "sexed up for a new generation," don't expect anything that goes over the line. "It is a different 'Star Trek,' but there's no crazy sex scene," said Pine, speaking at the HBO Golden Globes party. "There may be some bare midriffs, but you know it's been a long time since the bikini was invented, so I don't think we're going to ruffle any feathers."

Pine had previously predicted that the scene in which Uhura (Zoe Saldana) is shown in her bra while changing would "become famous." Another trailer scene showed Kirk in a provocative scene with an Orion woman (Rachel Nichols) in what was said to be one of the two love scenes in Star Trek XI.

With the release of Star Trek XI several months away, Pine is ready for what is to come. "I'm waiting patiently," he said. "I'm like an eight-year-old on Christmas Eve."

To read the article, head to the link located here.

Old January 14 2009, 04:21 PM   #2
billcosby
Commodore

Re: Pine: Star Trek XI Not Steamy

That's perfectly fine with me.
I don't know about Joe Six Pack, but I don't go looking for "steam" in movies titled Star Trek. They have other movies chock full of Steam Demons

Old January 14 2009, 09:09 PM   #3
Morpheus 02
Commodore

i am just wondering if it will be appropriate to bring my 4 year old girl to the new Star Trek...
Old January 14 2009, 10:52 PM   #4
Lord Garth

I don't think I'd take a four-year-old to see a PG-13 movie just in general. For what it's worth, if I were considering it, I'd screen the movie first.

Old January 14 2009, 10:52 PM   #5
GodzFire
Ensign

Uhh even if there wasn't anything of a sexual nature, a 4-year old has no business watching a film like this. Putting the issue of it being so loud they'll start crying, the action/violence is way too strong for someone of that age.
Old January 15 2009, 03:36 AM   #6
T'Cal
Commodore

I took my oldest, who was 4 at the time, to see GEN (PG). He was already a TNG fan so I didn't think twice about bringing him along. The crash landing of the E-D was so loud in the theatre that it freaked him out. I kid him now that it had to be Shallaff's syndrome. I wanted to see it again but he didn't so my wife and I took him and my then 3-year-old daughter to a drive-in showing of it and told him my son that he could control the volume of the van's radio. He could turn it all the way down at the loud parts if he wanted. This worked out very well.

As they got older, in the 13-15 year range, we didn't allow them to see PG-13 films unless we saw it first. Way too much sex and nudity is allowed in movies with that rating. I've read that PG-13 means they can use the F-bomb once in the film. I must be getting old but I've seen too many PG-13 films that I felt should've been rated R.

I'm actually very happy to read what Pine said about this. While violence is often a part of the story, Trek really doesn't need foul language or sex scenes to make it exciting or realistic. It's always been about the stories, moral dilemas, and ethics for me.
Old January 15 2009, 03:53 AM   #7
Broccoli
Vice Admiral

What?! No hard core sex scene. Pfft...totally going to pass on this movie then. Rumor reports that I got involved a three-way between Old Spock, Young Spock, and Kirk. Now that that's looking like it won't happen, this movie will flop!
Old January 15 2009, 04:55 AM   #8
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Romance has always been Trek's achilles heel. Leave that stuff for the fanfic writers.
Rumor reports that I got involved a three-way between Old Spock, Young Spock, and Kirk.
Leave that stuff for the fanfic writers. Silly me, I'm sure they've already taken care of it.
Old January 15 2009, 06:47 PM   #9
Plecostomus
Commodore

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Plecostomus

Well since there is no steamy-sexxors in this movie they'd better actually have a frigging plot or some kind of story otherwise I'm going to boycott this movie so hard.
Old January 15 2009, 11:50 PM   #10
Procutus
Admiral

Damn! I was hoping for some bare, green, heaving Orion breasts!

Old January 16 2009, 04:55 AM   #11
Broccoli
Vice Admiral

Plecostomus wrote: View Post
...otherwise I'm going to boycott this movie so hard.
That's what she said.
Old January 16 2009, 05:23 AM   #12
number6
Vice Admiral

Location: number6 has left the village through some inexpicable hole in the ground to head the corporation.

Wait a sec..

It sounds to me like "fan"dom doesn't mind that TOS Kirk seduces go-go booted space babe of the week, but has a major problem with NuKirk getting down with a single Orion babe.

That's just plain stoopit.
Old January 16 2009, 05:41 AM   #13
Lord Garth

^ You're reaching.

There are no posts in here where anyone says they have a major problem, or any problem at all, with Kirk getting some action, "nu" or otherwise.

The closest we get is a parent wondering if they should take a four-year-old to see a PG-13 movie, that's it.

Old January 16 2009, 05:49 AM   #14
number6
Vice Admiral

Location: number6 has left the village through some inexpicable hole in the ground to head the corporation.

Lord Garth wrote: View Post
^ You're reaching.

There are no posts in here where anyone says they have a major problem, or any problem at all, with Kirk getting some action, "nu" or otherwise.

The closest we get is a parent wondering if they should take a four-year-old to see a PG-13 movie, that's it.
Why would a parent take a 4-year old to a PG-13 film anyway?? The ONLY Star Trek film rated G was TMP and I seriously doubt any 4 year old would have found that film entertaining.

If someone made a PG-13 Teletubbies film, then I would be concerned.

The easiest solution would be to find a sitter and go see Star Trek without the 4-year old.
Old January 16 2009, 05:52 AM   #15
Lord Garth

Which I think most of us agree with, myself included. We were just trying to be a sounding board for Morpheus.