Star Trek Movie Prop Auction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Star Trek Pop-Ups Book Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old January 14 2009, 11:50 AM   #16
captcalhoun
Admiral

Re: G.I. Joe Poster

yeah, but with the exception (to start with) of Britain, GI Joe toys have been sold around the world as GI Joe. and in Britain after they switched from 'Action Force International Heroes' to GI Joe, tehy were still repackaging the toys with altered file cards giving the characters British birth places and backgrounds.
captcalhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14 2009, 05:55 PM   #17
The Wormhole
Admiral

August? Doesn't say much that they're releasing this movie during the dregs of the summer season.

This'll be the next thing to rape our childhoods after Trek XI.
Old January 14 2009, 06:11 PM   #18
Ol Scratch
Lieutenant Commander

Except that Star Trek looks promising. This does not.
Ol Scratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14 2009, 06:14 PM   #19
The Wormhole
Admiral

Ol Scratch wrote: View Post
Except that Star Trek looks promising.
Your opinion.
Old January 14 2009, 06:40 PM   #20
ManOnTheWave
Rear Admiral

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
August? Doesn't say much that they're releasing this movie during the dregs of the summer season.
While this is typically true, apparently the movie company is trying an "experiment." They plan to release this thing "in an attempt to expand the summer blockbuster season." While I don't think the movie will be very good, it does have a hefty budget, and I don't think they're dumping it in no man's land to take a loss. I think they want to open it against weak competition.
Old January 14 2009, 06:42 PM   #21
Ol Scratch
Lieutenant Commander

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
Your opinion.
Yours, too. Despite your apparently bloated view of self-importance.
Ol Scratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14 2009, 07:54 PM   #22
Admiral2
Vice Admiral

Jackson Beck said it best in the toon opening:

[JacksonBeck]"G*I*Joe is the codename for AMERICA'S daring, highly-trained Special Mission Force. It's purpose: to defend human freedom against COBRA, a ruthless terrorist organization determined to rule the world!"[/JacksonBeck]

All you need to know in two simple sentences, and none of this "international" crap.

It won't necessarily make me boycott, but I'm slightly unhappy.

-Regina, heralding Elsa's arrival.
Admiral2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14 2009, 08:06 PM   #23
God Magnus
Commodore

View God Magnus's Twitter Profile

While I am in agreement over GI Joe being an American team if you want to stay most "pure" to the cartoon, think of the political reality of today. Thanks to various factors (be it media, the government, take your pick) the US armed forces are not viewed very positively in many parts of the world nowadays. If you start going on and on about an "American" military force, it doesn't have the same marketability as an "international" force. I'm just glad that it's being primarily led by Americans, keeping some of that core concept intact.
Old January 14 2009, 08:20 PM   #24
Gryffindorian
Vice Admiral

WTF happened to my post?! Anyway, I still would like to see this movie, but the whole nonsense about "men and women from different parts of the world" contradicts the concept of G.I. Joe being an all-American team. So what does the G.I. now stand for? Governments International? Gladiators Incorporated?
Old January 14 2009, 08:31 PM   #25
Admiral2
Vice Admiral

God Magnus wrote: View Post
While I am in agreement over GI Joe being an American team if you want to stay most "pure" to the cartoon,
Not just the cartoon. I was more a fan of the comic myself, but even the comic was titled "GIJOE: A Real American Hero!" and the writer adhered strictly to that.

think of the political reality of today. Thanks to various factors (be it media, the government, take your pick) the US armed forces are not viewed very positively in many parts of the world nowadays. If you start going on and on about an "American" military force, it doesn't have the same marketability as an "international" force.
Maybe, but the strategic reality today is the same as it has been since the turn of the last century: that the ones whining the loudest about America's military are usually the same ones who beg for its help every twenty years or so. Under those circumstances, I don't care if an all-american GIJOE is unmarketable in Belgium. Let Belgium get it's own special mission force. (A Real Belgian Hero!) Let Russia make an Oktober Guard movie. Better yet, if the force has to be international or our distinguished allies won't bite, there's a perfectly good alternative. Make a Rainbow Six movie! GIJOE is not Rainbow!

I'm just glad that it's being primarily led by Americans, keeping some of that core concept intact.
Which is one reason why I'm not completely abandoning it.

Old January 14 2009, 08:35 PM   #26
Aragorn
Admiral

If this had been the property of another country -- Japan, England, Russia, etc. -- and they globalized the concept for a movie, there would be a lot of people going stark raving mad about the change ruining the purity and integrity of the project.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14 2009, 08:42 PM   #27
Admiral2
Vice Admiral

Aragorn wrote: View Post
If this had been the property of another country -- Japan, England, Russia, etc. -- and they globalized the concept for a movie, there would be a lot of people going stark raving mad about the change ruining the purity and integrity of the project.
Of course. There's patriotism tied up in this, and no matter how much "enlightened" people try, you are never going to completely suppress patriotism.

Old January 14 2009, 08:49 PM   #28
Trent Roman
Rear Admiral

That happens all the time. Japanese and British media products are remade with American actors, in an American setting, in order to play to domestic audiences. This is an American concept that been globalized to play internationally. It is a broadening of the concept, and as such a good thing.

Fictitiously yours, Trent Roman
Old January 14 2009, 09:13 PM   #29
clint g
Admiral

Trent Roman wrote: View Post
That happens all the time. Japanese and British media products are remade with American actors, in an American setting, in order to play to domestic audiences. This is an American concept that been globalized to play internationally. It is a broadening of the concept, and as such a good thing.

Fictitiously yours, Trent Roman
This isnt exactly the same though. one of the critical aspects of GI Joe is that it is an elite American strike force. That's why it was known as GI Joe Real American Heroes. Its not like The Office where you simply have a show about office workers. Whether they were american or not did not play a role in the concept behind the show. As mentioned up thread, its more like making the the last samurai in The Last Samurai a white dude from America. Yeah, you can do it but it doesnt mean its a good idea.
Old January 14 2009, 09:18 PM   #30
Aragorn
Admiral

Tom Cruise was not the last samurai. The title of the movie referred to Ken Watanabe's character.

This is more along the lines of the 9/11 firefighter statue they were going to make, where the real firefighters depicted were white but some people thought it'd be a great idea to make them multicultural instead.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote