MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Ships Of The Line Design Contest

Next Weekend: Shore Leave 36!

True Trek History To Be Penned

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old January 13 2009, 04:24 AM   #1
The Habs Fan
Commodore

X-Files Chronology

I'm watching the X-Files series for the first time and I understand that Millennium and the Lone Gunmen series take place in the same universe and that both shows have crossover episodes in the X-Files series.

Does anyone have a list or a link where they list all the episodes of X-Files, Millennium, and the Lone Gunmen in chronological order so I could watch all three series simultaneously as they take place?

Or do I just watch X-Files season 4 and then Millennium season 1, etc.?

Or is it better to watch Millennium and the Lone Gunmen after X-Files?

I would prefer not doing the third option as I like watching everything in chronological order (like I've done with Star Trek, Stargate, and Babylon 5/Crusade).
The Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13 2009, 04:49 AM   #2
Harvey
Admiral

Re: X-Files Chronology

Millennium doesn't really treat itself as a spin-off. As long as you see the Jose Chung episode in Millennium (second season) after the X-Files episode with Jose Chung, and finish the three seasons of Millennium before you see the X-Files episode "Millennium" (seventh season), you'll be all right.

The Lone Gunmen takes place at the same time as the eighth season of the X-Files, but, tonally, it's so different from the X-Files that I would watch season eight of the X-Files, and then watch the Lone Gunmen. Watching season nine after that will allow you to enjoy it as the both the final season of the X-Files and as a show with more than a few references to the short-lived Lone Gunmen series.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13 2009, 05:06 AM   #3
The Habs Fan
Commodore

Hirogen Alpha wrote: View Post
Millennium doesn't really treat itself as a spin-off. As long as you see the Jose Chung episode in Millennium (second season) after the X-Files episode with Jose Chung, and finish the three seasons of Millennium before you see the X-Files episode "Millennium" (seventh season), you'll be all right.

The Lone Gunmen takes place at the same time as the eighth season of the X-Files, but, tonally, it's so different from the X-Files that I would watch season eight of the X-Files, and then watch the Lone Gunmen. Watching season nine after that will allow you to enjoy it as the both the final season of the X-Files and as a show with more than a few references to the short-lived Lone Gunmen series.
Thanks for the response! I didn't realize there were two Jose Chung episodes so I'll make sure to watch the X-Files one first.
Old January 13 2009, 05:09 AM   #4
Aragorn
Admiral

Don't forget the first movie.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13 2009, 02:45 PM   #5
The Habs Fan
Commodore

Aragorn wrote: View Post
Don't forget the first movie.
Does that take place between season 4 and 5 of X-Files?
Old January 13 2009, 05:14 PM   #6
Ethros
Vice Admiral

^ It was mostly filmed between 4 & 5, but takes place (and was released) between 5 & 6
Ethros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13 2009, 10:59 PM   #7
Harvey
Admiral

Right, I had forgotten about the movie. Watch it in between season five and six. It's a good, if not great, transition between the Vancouver and Los Angeles years.

Another note about Millennium, though. The series is very dark, especially in the first year. Very, VERY dark. You might not want to watch a lot of episodes at once, so it might be easiest to alternate between the X-Files and Millennium.

The other thing about Millennium is that it changes significantly in intention and tone every season, especially in the second year (which, outside of a handful of episodes, I loathe). You should be aware of this from the get go, so it doesn't catch you by surprise.

Old January 14 2009, 05:02 PM   #8
The Habs Fan
Commodore

Right, I had forgotten about the movie. Watch it in between season five and six. It's a good, if not great, transition between the Vancouver and Los Angeles years.

Another note about Millennium, though. The series is very dark, especially in the first year. Very, VERY dark. You might not want to watch a lot of episodes at once, so it might be easiest to alternate between the X-Files and Millennium.

The other thing about Millennium is that it changes significantly in intention and tone every season, especially in the second year (which, outside of a handful of episodes, I loathe). You should be aware of this from the get go, so it doesn't catch you by surprise.
I'll probably watch 1 disc of Millenium and then one disc of X-Files (and so on). The first season of Millennium and the 4th season of X-Files take place at around the same time right?

Thanks Hirogen Alpha and Ethros for your replies.
Old January 14 2009, 08:40 PM   #9
Harvey
Admiral

Yes, season four of the X-Files and season one of Millennium take place during the same time.

And because I love making silly lists...

X-Files 1
X-Files 2
X-Files 3
X-Files 4/Millennium 1
X-Files 5/Millennium 2
X-Files Movie (AKA "Fight the Future")
X-Files 6/Millennium 3
X-Files 7
X-Files 8
The Lone Gunmen
X-Files 9
X-Files: I Want to Believe

Old January 14 2009, 08:52 PM   #10
CaptJimboJones
Vice Admiral

The series "Homicide: Life On The Streets" is also in the same universe as the X-Files, because of a crossover episode in which featured Detective Munch. Which also puts all of the "Law and Order" shows in the X-Files universe as well because of crossovers with Homicide.

So to be complete, you need to watch all of those episodes of those shows as well. I can't help you with a chronology, though.
Old January 14 2009, 08:58 PM   #11
Harvey
Admiral

Watching Homicide and Law and Order, and all the other series that John Munch appears on just because of a fun cameo in "The Unusual Suspects" would be patently absurd. Just stick to the Chris Carter shows, methinks.

Old January 14 2009, 09:07 PM   #12
CaptJimboJones
Vice Admiral

Watching Homicide and Law and Order, and all the other series that John Munch appears on just because of a fun cameo in "The Unusual Suspects" would be patently absurd. Just stick to the Chris Carter shows, methinks.
Psst ... I was just kidding.
Old January 14 2009, 10:29 PM   #13
The Habs Fan
Commodore

CaptJimboJones wrote: View Post
The series "Homicide: Life On The Streets" is also in the same universe as the X-Files, because of a crossover episode in which featured Detective Munch. Which also puts all of the "Law and Order" shows in the X-Files universe as well because of crossovers with Homicide.

So to be complete, you need to watch all of those episodes of those shows as well. I can't help you with a chronology, though.
lol...maybe next year...

Thanks for the list Hirogen Alpha