Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old January 6 2009, 12:26 PM   #31
Hermiod
Admiral

Re: I finally watched Firefly! (SPOILERS)

^No, airing the series' worst episode that they threw together in a weekend first can't have hurt it at all.
Hermiod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6 2009, 01:07 PM   #32
DWF
Vice Admiral

Hermiod wrote: View Post
^No, airing the series' worst episode that they threw together in a weekend first can't have hurt it at all.
I thought Safe was their worst ep. not The Train Job, the series just didn't have a wide appeal, Sci-Fi aired the show in order and it still didn't grab people.
--- Harlan Ellison, from his introduction
to the PINNACLE series of Doctor Who books
DWF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6 2009, 01:27 PM   #33
Hermiod
Admiral

DWF wrote: View Post
I thought Safe was their worst ep. not The Train Job, the series just didn't have a wide appeal, Sci-Fi aired the show in order and it still didn't grab people.
Well, that's where you and I disagree, then. If they had aired "Serenity" properly and shown just the tiniest amount of patience, I still contend that the show would have lasted a lot longer.
Old January 6 2009, 02:08 PM   #34
ATimson
Rear Admiral

TheSeeker wrote: View Post
Why do people even bother selling their shows to Fox anymore? It seems like all Fox does is cancel any good shows they get a hold of.
They used to do that. But that was also six years ago. The only show that I can think of that was killed prematurely in the last couple of years, Drive, underperformed on a scale rarely seen on network television; its death was not unwarranted, unfortunately.

"...don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6 2009, 02:10 PM   #35
ATimson
Rear Admiral

Sci wrote: View Post
Well, yeah, he abandoned any attempts to revive it on TV because it was just never gonna happen. But that doesn't mean that there was some sort of legal barrier.
My recollection is that there was a legal barrier in the form of Fox (the network) retaining the rights for an unseemly long period of time. But since I can't find anything in a quick Google search, I could be misremembering.

"...don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6 2009, 02:59 PM   #36
Evil_Kirkneivel
Lieutenant Commander

Fox didn't pre-emt the show the local channels did and there's no proof that airing the show out of order hurt it, if anything the premise hurt the show more than anything else.
The Firefly DVD sold so well it was in the top 100 at Amazon for sales. That's pretty good for a TV show with a flawed premise.

Whedon did a great job of creating an ensemble cast where every character had a fleshed-out personality. There were no cardboard characters or stereotypes. This is not easy to do, and it's great to watch the result.
Old January 6 2009, 03:13 PM   #37
Reverend
Rear Admiral

It grabbed me. I'm also reasonably sure the Sci-Fi airings were partly responsible for the strong DVD sales. Sales that were strong enough to convince Universal to fund a theatrical film. Read into that what you will.
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6 2009, 03:21 PM   #38
trekkerguy
Commodore

View trekkerguy's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to trekkerguy

It wasn't just out of order it was all over the place. Constantly changed
when it would be on and such. The show never had a chance. Those that
saw it loved it, but those who didn't see it probably wouldn't get the chance to.
Old January 6 2009, 03:39 PM   #39
RoJoHen
Awesome

Evil_Kirkneivel wrote: View Post
Fox didn't pre-emt the show the local channels did and there's no proof that airing the show out of order hurt it, if anything the premise hurt the show more than anything else.
The Firefly DVD sold so well it was in the top 100 at Amazon for sales. That's pretty good for a TV show with a flawed premise.
I believe it actually held the #1 spot for a while.
Old January 6 2009, 03:41 PM   #40
Ensign_Redshirt
Commodore

I'm just grateful for the 14 episodes and the movie we have.
Ensign_Redshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6 2009, 04:04 PM   #41
DWF
Vice Admiral

Reverend wrote: View Post
It grabbed me. I'm also reasonably sure the Sci-Fi airings were partly responsible for the strong DVD sales. Sales that were strong enough to convince Universal to fund a theatrical film. Read into that what you will.
Yeah and the movie made a mere $25 million at the US box office and it's nice that it grabbed you but it needed to grab three or four times the audience it got.
--- Harlan Ellison, from his introduction
to the PINNACLE series of Doctor Who books
DWF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6 2009, 09:12 PM   #42
Harvey
Admiral

Sci wrote: View Post
Firefly was not cancelled under terms by which the movie got to be made. Not at all.
I don't think that's what he meant. What he is referring to is the fact that, when the film rights to the franchise were sold to Universal, the legal situation was one in which the series couldn't be made on television again for (IIRC) ten years, essentially rendering any televised versions of Firefly dead. I'm not sure exactly how or why the deal went down the way it did, but that's as best as I can remember it.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6 2009, 09:24 PM   #43
Ugly Sweater
Trekker4747

I think not airing the pilot first really hurt the series, not to mention Fox's lack of proper/enough promotion of the series.

But there's a LOT of exposition and set-up in that pilot that's just glossed over in "The Train Job."

Airing the episodes out of order only hurts it on some minor contnuity levels, but not doing the pilot first was DUMB of Fox and that the show has such popularity on DVD I think "proves" that Fox erred in some way in promoting it, it's time slot, or how they aired the episode order.

Sigh.

What could have been.
Old January 7 2009, 08:08 AM   #44
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

Well for what it's worth I watched the series out of order and it didn't take away from my enjoyment or understanding of the series. I'm surprised that they didn't edit the pilot to make it a flashback though considering when they originally aired it.
Old January 7 2009, 08:30 AM   #45
Hermiod
Admiral

^By the time Fox got around to airing it, I don't think they cared.