Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old January 1 2009, 09:10 PM   #1
Broccoli
Vice Admiral

Comic Book Frames

I'm not sure if this is the right forum for this question, but oh well.

Last summer, I went to Wizard World and one vendor there was selling frames for comic books. I thought this was cool, but I didn't think to buy one. Now I am kicking myself, because I am considering framing some of my comics that I've gotten signed and what not.

I did a Google search for comic book frames, and I have seen some sites that sell them. However, because it is online, I do not know which good frames and which crappy ones.

Has anyone here ever gotten comic frames? If so, which ones and were you pleased with them?

Thanks!
Old January 3 2009, 10:08 PM   #2
Ultimale
Lieutenant

Re: Comic Book Frames

First of all, thanks very much for posting this. I've been looking to frame my comics for years now, or at least, some of them (I have a few thousand stretching over twenty-five years) I know that years ago, there was a decent framing system involving two sheets of Lucite and screws. You can still get these Lucite sandwiches, but they're costly. Not sure about the other frames you mention, but could you post links? I framed what I'm fairly certain is the first comic I ever read in a simple wooden picture frame. It's a placeholder until I manage something better.
Old January 4 2009, 04:30 AM   #3
Tomato
Rear Admiral

Do you plan on ever reading your comics. If not the CGC system might be okay. Although if you are trying to display it like art having the rating right there might lose its luster.
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4 2009, 04:32 AM   #4
TheBrew
Vice Admiral

I would be interested in one as well. I actually want to frame my copies of the originally Watchman run.
For one of us could drink it all alone. Damn near.
TheBrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4 2009, 05:53 PM   #5
JAG
Vice Admiral

Have you tried looking in CBG( Comic Buyers Guide) They run ads from different companies that are obviously geared toward the comic collector.
Old January 5 2009, 01:44 AM   #6
Broccoli
Vice Admiral

Most I've seen run about $15. That seems pretty reasonable for a odd-ball frame.

I've found frames at the following links:
http://www.rockartpictureshow.com/comicbookframe.html
http://www.comicbookframes.com/
http://www.wonderviewframes.com/
http://www.target.com/Comic-Book-Fra.../dp/B001AFJD1G

Again, the thing is, I don't know which are good and which are lousy. I'm not looking for anything high-end. Just something that looks nice and won't fall apart.

JAG wrote: View Post
Have you tried looking in CBG( Comic Buyers Guide) They run ads from different companies that are obviously geared toward the comic collector.
I haven't looked there. Next time I am in a book store, I'll thumb through an issue.
Old January 5 2009, 11:21 PM   #7
firehawk12
Fleet Admiral

Tomato wrote: View Post
Do you plan on ever reading your comics. If not the CGC system might be okay. Although if you are trying to display it like art having the rating right there might lose its luster.
This Mona Lisa is rated 8.9... near mint!

"How do you trust a nation that's invented Karate? They're standing there in their pajamas... then they kick you in the balls!"
firehawk12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5 2009, 11:33 PM   #8
OmahaStar
Disrespectful of his betters

View OmahaStar's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to OmahaStar Send a message via Yahoo to OmahaStar

Probably a silly suggestion, but ... Have you checked with your local comic book store? The one closest to me carries a selection of frames, in addition to the standard bag & board supply. Yours may as well, and you could see for yourself whether it is what you want, without paying first.
Old January 8 2009, 05:11 AM   #9
Broccoli
Vice Admiral

OmahaStar wrote: View Post
Probably a silly suggestion, but ... Have you checked with your local comic book store? The one closest to me carries a selection of frames, in addition to the standard bag & board supply. Yours may as well, and you could see for yourself whether it is what you want, without paying first.
First thing I did. I called around to a couple of different shops. None carried them. One or two even looked at me as if I was crazy that such a thing would exist. They suggested a few places like Hobby Lobby, but no luck when I checked there.

firehawk12 wrote: View Post
Tomato wrote: View Post
This Mona Lisa is rated 8.9... near mint!
Old January 8 2009, 06:12 AM   #10
firehawk12
Fleet Admiral

You know, maybe I'm being a bit silly here, but wouldn't a normal picture frame work? At the very least, you can get someone to make a frame at a custom size.

"How do you trust a nation that's invented Karate? They're standing there in their pajamas... then they kick you in the balls!"
firehawk12 is offline   Reply With Quote