Coto Drama Sold To Fox
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Braga Inks Deal
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Remastered Original Series Re-release
By: T'Bonz on Sep 11

UK Trek Ships Calendar Debuts
By: T'Bonz on Sep 10

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Closed Thread

Old December 29 2008, 12:20 PM   #31
Kpnuts
Commodore

Re: Cannonising the Kelvin

Pegasus wrote: View Post
BACK TO TOPIC!

1. Having a 0 in front of the registry number actaully makes it UNCANNON!
Name 4 canon ships with an 0 as the first number s there registry!
Let me: THERE ARE NONE!

The NX-01 Enterprise
The NX-02 Columbia
The NX-01-A Dauntless
The NCC-0514 Kelvin

There you go... four canon ships with a zero preceeding the registry.

The USS Kelvin's registry number is 0514. It is FACT, on screen, and therefore canon. Your drawings mean nothing.

Get over it.
Old December 29 2008, 12:34 PM   #32
Cky
Captain

I know it's nothing to do with anything etc, and nothing to do with canon. But isn't there a 1 nacelle ship in the Star Trek: Legacy game?
Old December 29 2008, 12:35 PM   #33
Plain Simple
Commodore

Kpnuts, I think what the OP meant is that he tried to tweak designs and registry numbers and what not, so that they fit in better (to his taste and apparently that of mr. Thomson or Thompson) with the designs etc. shown in TOS, so with TOS-only canon so to speak. Not the canon of the whole franchise, but only of the '66-'69 series. I don't think he's in a position to add something to that canon, since you'd probably need real world time travel yourself to add something to the TOS '66-'69 canon, but he's free of course to make designs that he likes in the style of TOS.

At least, that's my interpretation of this puzzling post (the first time I read it I had no idea what it was about), but I'm sure the OP will correct me if I'm wrong here.

It's Tolkien, not Tolkein.
Old December 29 2008, 12:43 PM   #34
SalvorHardin
Rear Admiral

View SalvorHardin's Twitter Profile

1. Having a 0 in front of the registry number actaully makes it UNCANNON!
Yawn...

Canon is what is onscreen.
The Kelvin with a 0 (ZERO) in the registry will be onscreen in May and therefore it is canon.
Now get over it .

/thread

Last edited by SalvorHardin; December 29 2008 at 02:53 PM.
Old December 29 2008, 02:43 PM   #35
Cyke101
Rear Admiral

I love the audacity here, that what we see on screen and is sanctioned by Paramount and the creators isn't canon, but that someone's lone fantasies *are* canon. Oh, the hubris!
Old December 29 2008, 04:23 PM   #36
Pegasus
Lieutenant

I didn't say it wasn't canon for the alernate timnline in which this set.

Cannon ship with an Andorian captain: The Warshp Kumari!
Oh yeah and all the other Andorians ship seen in Enterprise. Well over 4 pal!

And there is no NCC - 0 registry in TOS is there?

Simplified:
Three timelines:
1. Star Trek Chronology Book,and TOS.
2. Prime First Contact/ TCW/Enterprise Alternate Timeline. The one we saw in Enterprise, that simply wet into TOS.
3. Second First Contact/TCW/ Enterprise Alternate Timeline. Enterprise to Star Trek XI.
Old December 29 2008, 04:27 PM   #37
blaXXer
Fleet Captain

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
I honestly don't know what it is you're going on about, but you did the registry numbers the right way, so that makes you okay in my books.
Wuv' ya!
Old December 29 2008, 04:29 PM   #38
Cyke101
Rear Admiral

Fine I'll just delete all my posts in thi thread.

But as mentioned before, there is a Zero-registry in Enterprise, and it seems that there will be some small details in Abrams' Trek that will bridge Enterprise with TOS, ie the mural of the NX-01 and references to "Admiral" Archer. If we're talking about canon, then that means there would be some precedence from ENT to TOS, even if it's a retcon.

For that matter, the only major starship class we see in TOS is the Constitution class, but does that automatically mean there were no other major classes back then? I think not.
Old December 29 2008, 04:29 PM   #39
blaXXer
Fleet Captain

This thread is about mine, and Kenneth Thomson Jr's effort to make the Kelvin in TOS canon.
attenshun whoar, much?
Old December 29 2008, 05:20 PM   #40
Shatterhand
Lieutenant

I really don't get why we agonize over "canon" or "non-canon", anyway. It seems to me that people who want to accept the Kelvin and its registry number will, and those who refuse to accept it won't. People waving their fists in the air and saying "It's in the movie so it's canon" are wasting their breath because those who don't accept it just won't, no matter who tells them to. Hell, Gene Roddenberry could come back from the dead this minute, post to these boards and say, "I officially endorse the U.S.S. Kelvin and its registry number with the zero in front of it" and someone will still grumble and moan, "But, Mr. Roddenberry!!!!!"

I really believe that people who absolutely refuse to accept this movie as established Trek canon (and I'm sorry to say that I know a few of them) should just call a "Highlander 2" on it; in other words, pretend it doesn't exist. Go see it at least (to show your support for the franchise), but when you walk out, just laugh to yourself in amusement, say" Oh, J.J., you fiend! Nice try, but no sale", and be on your way.
Old December 29 2008, 05:23 PM   #41
Kpnuts
Commodore

I didn't say it wasn't canon for the alernate timnline in which this set.

Simplified:
Three timelines:
1. Star Trek Chronology Book,and TOS.
2. Prime First Contact/ TCW/Enterprise Alternate Timeline. The one we saw in Enterprise, that simply wet into TOS.
3. Second First Contact/TCW/ Enterprise Alternate Timeline. Enterprise to Star Trek XI.

You asked for four canon ships with a zero preceeding the registry, I gave you 4. Are you ignoring that reply because it doesn't fit in with your argument?
Old December 29 2008, 05:24 PM   #42
Captain Robert April
Vice Admiral

Location: In selfless service to fandom, on the road to becoming a Star Trek trivia god...

I'll ignore the rather twisted view of canon that's been offered up and simply offer up these findings, which I think is what the OP is looking for....

There are a few things I'd do a bit differently with the secondary hull, like shifting those markings on the lower surface to the upper, but otherwise, I could definitely live with this.

In fact, I may just kitbash this sucker one of these days.
Old December 29 2008, 05:37 PM   #43
Shatterhand
Lieutenant

Captain Robert April wrote: View Post
I'll ignore the rather twisted view of canon that's been offered up and simply offer up these findings, which I think is what the OP is looking for....(pictures snipped)
Are you calling it a "twisted view" because it doesn't fit your version of canon? You're re-posting those pictures to support the original poster's attempt to "canonize" the ship, which is fine, but since those particular pictures are nothing more than fan art, they don't really back up anything.

The wallpapers of the Kelvin posted by Tobias Richter of The Light Works, while still considered just "fan art", are closer to canonical since they more directly reflect the design we'll see in the movie.

And, like I said in my last post, I think we've come to the point where people waving the canon flag are just saying "Star Trek is *this*" while another person waving the same flag is saying "No, Star Trek is *that*". It doesn't matter what Mr.'s Abrams, Orci, Nimoy, or anyone else says; fans are going to believe what they want to believe.
Old December 29 2008, 05:42 PM   #44
Captain Robert April
Vice Admiral

Location: In selfless service to fandom, on the road to becoming a Star Trek trivia god...

The "twisted" aspect I was referring to was the citing of fanfic and FASA material.
Old December 29 2008, 05:56 PM   #45
Shatterhand
Lieutenant

Captain Robert April wrote: View Post
The "twisted" aspect I was referring to was the citing of fanfic and FASA material.
Ahh, okay. Sorry if I seemed a bit caustic with my reply; that wasn't my intent.

I've always had an issue with the concept of canon. I've read things in the books and the RPG material that make me think, "Man, that's pretty cool stuff. I wish this was considered canon!" But the limitations set by...hmm...actually, come to think of it, I don't remember who set those limits. Can anyone refresh my memory on that? I'm sure it wasn't just us fans; it had to be someone in a position of authority related to Star Trek that decided what is "real" Trek and what isn't.

Sometimes I wish Trek "canon" could be done the way Star Wars handles theirs. Their books are officially endorsed by Lucasfilm, making whatever is written in them "official" canon.

Sorry; I know I'm off-topic, but since we're talking about "canonizing" the Kelvin, the debate kinda goes hand-in-hand.
Closed Thread