TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Closed Thread

Old December 29 2008, 05:20 AM   #16
Samuel T. Cogley
Vice Admiral

Re: Cannonising the Kelvin

Starship Polaris wrote: View Post
Samuel T. Cogley wrote: View Post
If I like it, it's in. If not, it's out. So easy!
My girlfriend has the same attitude.
About your cannon?
Old December 29 2008, 05:26 AM   #17
Santa Kang
Fleet Admiral

Starship Polaris wrote: View Post
If I like it, it's in. If not, it's out. So easy!
My girlfriend has the same attitude.
About your cannon?
Its not the cannon, its the continuity.
Old December 29 2008, 06:03 AM   #18
Pegasus
Lieutenant

BACK TO TOPIC!

1. Having a 0 in front of the registry number actaully makes it UNCANNON!
Name 4 canon ships with an 0 as the first number s there registry!
Let me: THERE ARE NONE!

2. You opinions are fine, but I see it like this: as the Kelvin is one of the only half decent things in the new fim,(and is liked more then the new Enterprise) it deserves to be canonised. Aren't those DS9 kitbashes canon?

It is the only officail known Earth- Romulan war ship, and there are gaps in FASA which in the opinon of Ken Thompson Jr. He actually helped me with this because he agreed. He's even placing an avery class ship in Starship Saladin!
Proof: http://www.startreknewvoyages.com/fo...p?topic=6649.0
Proof: The Avery Class USS Leaning Tower in The Lost Outpost fanfiction: http://www.startreknewvoyages.com/fo...p?topic=6753.0

Proof:
http://i463.photobucket.com/albums/q..._AVERY_002.jpg

http://i463.photobucket.com/albums/q..._AVERY_001.jpg

http://i463.photobucket.com/albums/q..._AVERY_003.jpg

http://i463.photobucket.com/albums/q...rdPlanView.jpg

See no 0 at the start!

Last edited by M'Sharak; December 29 2008 at 06:16 AM. Reason: converting images to links to prevent page-stretching
Old December 29 2008, 06:12 AM   #19
Samuel T. Cogley
Vice Admiral

What the fuck is the point of all of this?

I feel like Towelie.

I have no idea what's going on...
Old December 29 2008, 06:22 AM   #20
Pegasus
Lieutenant

2. You opinions are fine, but I see it like this: as the Kelvin is one of the only half decent things in the new fim,(and is liked more then the new Enterprise) it deserves to be canonised. Aren't those DS9 kitbashes canon?

It is the only officail known Earth- Romulan war ship, and there are gaps in FASA which in the opinon of Ken Thompson Jr. He actually helped me with this because he agreed. He's even placing an avery class ship in Starship Saladin!
Proof: [COLOR=#aabbcc]http://www.startreknewvoyages.com/fo...p?topic=6649.0[/COLOR]
Proof: The Avery Class USS Leaning Tower in The Lost Outpost fanfiction:[COLOR=#aabbcc]http://www.startreknewvoyages.com/fo...p?topic=6753.0[/COLOR]
Old December 29 2008, 06:29 AM   #21
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

Pegasus wrote: View Post
BACK TO TOPIC!
To be honest, I'm not sure what the topic is, but it looks almost like something which belongs more in Trek Art than here.

However, this:

It is the only officail known Earth- Romulan war ship...
I don't think we can consider correct. What causes you to believe that the Kelvin had any part whatsoever in the Earth-Romulan War or that it even existed at that time? That conflict would have to predate the events involving the Kelvin (in this movie) by something like seventy years.

(I've also converted your images to links to avoid page-stretching. See the policy concerning image size here.)
Old December 29 2008, 06:41 AM   #22
Pegasus
Lieutenant

It was in the interviews with Orci arond the time the first USS Kelvin, she is said to have been part of the Earth-Romulan War. And if it wasn't it doesn't matter, I'll just delete a setence fro the class description.
Old December 29 2008, 06:55 AM   #23
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

It was in the interviews with Orci arond the time the first USS Kelvin, she is said to have been part of the Earth-Romulan War. And if it wasn't it doesn't matter, I'll just delete a setence fro the class description.
When we first saw mention of the Kelvin, the word was that it was
...a Federation starship from a generation before the Enterprise and smaller than the Enterprise. It is of a new ship class never seen before. The ship is commanded by Captain Robau (Faran Tahir) with George Kirk (Chris Hemsworth) as first officer. Locations seen on the ship include the bridge (which reflects an earlier design than the Enterprise and is a lot ‘busier’), corridors, sickbay and engineering.
Nothing I've seen indicates that it's anywhere near old enough to have figured in the Earth-Romulan War.

Which leaves us with the other question: what is this thread actually about? Is it about ship design? Is it about the artwork in the images? If it's simply about the ship becoming canon, that's easy: it's in the movie, and is canon on that basis already.
Old December 29 2008, 07:10 AM   #24
Pegasus
Lieutenant

This thread is about mine, and Kenneth Thomson Jr's effort to make the Kelvin in TOS canon.
Old December 29 2008, 08:26 AM   #25
Santa Kang
Fleet Admiral

Its on the screen and is produced by the owners of Star Trek. That's all canon is.
Old December 29 2008, 10:30 AM   #26
Plain Simple
Commodore

This thread is about mine, and Kenneth Thomson Jr's effort to make the Kelvin in TOS canon.
For something to be TOS canon, shouldn't it have been on screen in TOS? (At least, I suppose you mean by TOS canon something like 'canon if you only take The Original Series (so the '66-'69 television series) into account and not all the series and movies that came after it'). And since it wasn't in there (I think), it isn't. There's hardly anything that can be done about that now by anyone except the owners of the Star Trek franchise is there? After all, only their word decides what 'official canon' is and to the best of my knowledge (but I might be wrong here) their word for the moment is that 'on screen = canon (with the exception of TAS), off screen = not canon'.

And who is Kenneth Thomson Jr.?

It's Tolkien, not Tolkein.
Old December 29 2008, 10:46 AM   #27
JNG
Chief of Staff, Starfleet Command

You keep talking about canon, but also mentioning what fanfics the ship appears in and so forth. This thread is not making any sense to me so far, man. Kelvin is already canon because it's in the movie.
Old December 29 2008, 10:46 AM   #28
THE CHEBB
Captain

MisterPL wrote: View Post
Tweety?

Considering all the problems WB and CBS are having at the moment, I'm not sure that's such a wise choice. Maybe things will improve in the future?
Ah men men men men men men men manly men whooo whooo whooo whooo manly men men men...or something like that
Old December 29 2008, 11:12 AM   #29
Plain Simple
Commodore

Aren't those DS9 kitbashes canon?
Those what?

I think I now get sort of what you're trying to do. You're not trying to make it canon (since you cannot, unless you're one of the franchise owners), you're trying to fanfic it into a form and shape which fits more with what we saw in TOS. Some modern form of model building? Anyway, what are the rules for this game?

It's Tolkien, not Tolkein.
Old December 29 2008, 11:23 AM   #30
Takeru
Fleet Captain

Wrong, being on screen makes it canon, this is not open for discussion, it's a fact.

There's the Kelvin! But it doesn't really matter, name 4 canon ships that had an andorian captain. Let me: There are none! But that doesn't mean that there are no andorian captains in starfleet and that an andorian captain, who might show up in the future needs to be "canonised" by fans.

2. You opinions are fine, but I see it like this: as the Kelvin is one of the only half decent things in the new fim,(and is liked more then the new Enterprise) it deserves to be canonised.
It is canonised, because it appears in the movie.

Aren't those DS9 kitbashes canon?
Yes, but only because they were on screen, not because they appeared in fanfics or fanart.

Nothing of this is official and has no place in a discussion about canon. Who is Ken Thompson Jr. anyway and why should anyone give a rat's ass that he agrees with you?
Closed Thread