RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 141,373
Posts: 5,504,175
Members: 25,126
Currently online: 478
Newest member: Ted Dave

TrekToday headlines

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

IDW Publishing March 2015 Comics
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Paramount Star Trek 3 Expectations
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Star Trek #39 Sneak Peek
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

View Poll Results: Grade Lost Souls
Excellent 131 72.38%
Above Average 35 19.34%
Average 12 6.63%
Below Average 1 0.55%
Poor 2 1.10%
Voters: 181. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old December 29 2008, 02:40 AM   #406
Marie1
Rear Admiral
 
Marie1's Avatar
 
Location: Alpha Centauri
Re: Star Trek: Destiny Book 3: Lost Souls - (SPOILERS)

But... but... there are all those years in between to learn about! I guess if you're not into it... but for me at this point, it'd be the worst place to quit!

Plus- whats happening to the Borg is quite awful, all those people!! Its horrid, but some have been tired of hearing about them so... something had to happen, something that would impact everyone.

People may be war-weary, but there are other enemies, other places to explore... and so on.
Or I have an addiction. But I can think of worse.
__________________
"He sings lounges? I'm not familiar with that musical form."
-Taran'atar, DS9-R Mission Gamma 3 --Save Taran'atar!
Marie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29 2008, 02:42 AM   #407
Rat Boy
Vice Admiral
 
Rat Boy's Avatar
 
Location: Home of the World Champion San Francisco Giants!
Re: Star Trek: Destiny Book 3: Lost Souls - (SPOILERS)

nx1701g wrote: View Post
JoeZhang wrote: View Post
I was going to post a longer review but then.. well couldn't be bothered. It's odd, the series has killed (not because I thought it was bad) any interest I have in reading any future Star Trek fiction, like it was the perfect jumping off point.
I have to be honest and admit that I had a similar thought when I read the last chapter of Destiny. It seemed like the perfect ending not only for the novels but for Trek itself. The Federation's greatest enemy was destroyed not by force but by the ideals upon which the Federation was founded. While the Federation and its allies are hurt, they are still strong and they are coming together more and more. It just seemed like the perfect ending to me.

That being said I plan to continue reading anyway.
If it had to end there, I can't think of any better way to do it, though I look forward to what's coming next.
Rat Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29 2008, 02:47 AM   #408
KRAD
Keith R.A. DeCandido
 
KRAD's Avatar
 
Location: New York City
View KRAD's Twitter Profile
Re: Star Trek: Destiny Book 3: Lost Souls - (SPOILERS)

How did the S.C.E make an entire planet disappear?
Good question.

__________________
Keith R.A. DeCandido
Blog | Facebook | Twitter

"Even when you turn your back, you're facing something."
KRAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29 2008, 02:53 AM   #409
Sci
Admiral
 
Sci's Avatar
 
Location: "Don't blame me--I voted for Jaresh-Inyo!"
Re: Star Trek: Destiny Book 3: Lost Souls - (SPOILERS)

nx1701g wrote: View Post
JoeZhang wrote: View Post
I was going to post a longer review but then.. well couldn't be bothered. It's odd, the series has killed (not because I thought it was bad) any interest I have in reading any future Star Trek fiction, like it was the perfect jumping off point.
I have to be honest and admit that I had a similar thought when I read the last chapter of Destiny. It seemed like the perfect ending not only for the novels but for Trek itself. The Federation's greatest enemy was destroyed not by force but by the ideals upon which the Federation was founded. While the Federation and its allies are hurt, they are still strong and they are coming together more and more. It just seemed like the perfect ending to me.

That being said I plan to continue reading anyway.
Hmm. I don't see that at all. I suppose especially because -- well, to me, Star Trek doesn't have a beginning or an ending because it's not a story. It's a common setting sharing certain dramatic conceits. But there was a lot of Trek before the Borg and there'll be a lot of Trek after them; I could never give them the kind of dramatic power to have Trek end when they do.

To me, Star Trek can no more end than can, say, the Buffyverse. Sure, individual series within Trek can end, but not Trek itself.
__________________
"Every line of serious work that I have written since 1936 has been written, directly or indirectly, against totalitarianism and for democratic Socialism, as I understand it." - George Orwell, 1946
Sci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29 2008, 02:56 AM   #410
Rat Boy
Vice Admiral
 
Rat Boy's Avatar
 
Location: Home of the World Champion San Francisco Giants!
Re: Star Trek: Destiny Book 3: Lost Souls - (SPOILERS)

KRAD wrote: View Post
How did the S.C.E make an entire planet disappear?
Good question.

The real question is if they can bring it back.
Rat Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29 2008, 03:07 AM   #411
ialfan
Fleet Captain
 
Re: Star Trek: Destiny Book 3: Lost Souls - (SPOILERS)

nx1701g wrote: View Post
JoeZhang wrote: View Post
I was going to post a longer review but then.. well couldn't be bothered. It's odd, the series has killed (not because I thought it was bad) any interest I have in reading any future Star Trek fiction, like it was the perfect jumping off point.
I have to be honest and admit that I had a similar thought when I read the last chapter of Destiny. It seemed like the perfect ending not only for the novels but for Trek itself. The Federation's greatest enemy was destroyed not by force but by the ideals upon which the Federation was founded. While the Federation and its allies are hurt, they are still strong and they are coming together more and more. It just seemed like the perfect ending to me.

That being said I plan to continue reading anyway.
Agreed. I have thought many times since finishing Destiny that it would be the perfect ending for the 24th century star trek series. I would be more than satisfied with things ending here but am happy there is more to read next year.
ialfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29 2008, 03:30 AM   #412
JD
Admiral
 
JD's Avatar
 
Location: Arizona, USA
Re: Star Trek: Destiny Book 3: Lost Souls - (SPOILERS)

Personally, I'd say it's more like the end of this "chapter" of the 24th Century Trek. IMO the Borg being gone actually makes things more interesting, not less.
__________________
They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it is not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance. - Terry Pratchett, Equal Rites
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29 2008, 04:33 AM   #413
Christopher
Writer
 
Christopher's Avatar
 
Re: Star Trek: Destiny Book 3: Lost Souls - (SPOILERS)

nx1701g wrote: View Post
I have to be honest and admit that I had a similar thought when I read the last chapter of Destiny. It seemed like the perfect ending not only for the novels but for Trek itself. The Federation's greatest enemy was destroyed not by force but by the ideals upon which the Federation was founded. While the Federation and its allies are hurt, they are still strong and they are coming together more and more. It just seemed like the perfect ending to me.
But Star Trek isn't about defeating enemies. It's about exploring the universe and the human potential. The defeat of the Borg isn't the end of the story, it's the beginning of a new phase, a new situation to be explored.
__________________
Christopher L. Bennett Homepage -- Site update 11/16/14 including annotations for "The Caress of a Butterfly's Wing" and overview for DTI: The Collectors

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29 2008, 05:02 AM   #414
Silversmok3
Commander
 
Silversmok3's Avatar
 
Re: Star Trek: Destiny Book 3: Lost Souls - (SPOILERS)

Christopher wrote: View Post
nx1701g wrote: View Post
I have to be honest and admit that I had a similar thought when I read the last chapter of Destiny. It seemed like the perfect ending not only for the novels but for Trek itself. The Federation's greatest enemy was destroyed not by force but by the ideals upon which the Federation was founded. While the Federation and its allies are hurt, they are still strong and they are coming together more and more. It just seemed like the perfect ending to me.
But Star Trek isn't about defeating enemies. It's about exploring the universe and the human potential. The defeat of the Borg isn't the end of the story, it's the beginning of a new phase, a new situation to be explored.
Yall know what the irony of all this is?
When I picked up book one and saw that the Borg were the villians I was like "Och, the frakin' Borg AGAIN? What is this, 1996? Cant we make some better villains than that?This book's gonna suck...."

__________________
There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under Heaven:A time to heal, A time to break down, and a time to build up.
-Ecclesiastes 3:3
Silversmok3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29 2008, 06:18 AM   #415
Sci
Admiral
 
Sci's Avatar
 
Location: "Don't blame me--I voted for Jaresh-Inyo!"
Re: Star Trek: Destiny Book 3: Lost Souls - (SPOILERS)

Christopher wrote: View Post
nx1701g wrote: View Post
I have to be honest and admit that I had a similar thought when I read the last chapter of Destiny. It seemed like the perfect ending not only for the novels but for Trek itself. The Federation's greatest enemy was destroyed not by force but by the ideals upon which the Federation was founded. While the Federation and its allies are hurt, they are still strong and they are coming together more and more. It just seemed like the perfect ending to me.
But Star Trek isn't about defeating enemies. It's about exploring the universe and the human potential. The defeat of the Borg isn't the end of the story, it's the beginning of a new phase, a new situation to be explored.
Exactly. Whilst Star Trek sometimes does classical melodrama (i.e., good guys vs. bad guys), it is not inherently such.
__________________
"Every line of serious work that I have written since 1936 has been written, directly or indirectly, against totalitarianism and for democratic Socialism, as I understand it." - George Orwell, 1946
Sci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29 2008, 01:18 PM   #416
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral
 
JoeZhang's Avatar
 
Re: Star Trek: Destiny Book 3: Lost Souls - (SPOILERS)

Sci wrote: View Post
JoeZhang wrote: View Post
I was going to post a longer review but then.. well couldn't be bothered. It's odd, the series has killed (not because I thought it was bad) any interest I have in reading any future Star Trek fiction, like it was the perfect jumping off point.
Really? Why so?

I can't explain it - I got to the end and just thought - that's it, I'm done with Star Trek novels, time for new things. For whatever reason, 24th century trek ended for me with that book - did you know that Picard decided to retire six months later and spend more time with his child?
JoeZhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29 2008, 01:32 PM   #417
Ronald Held
Rear Admiral
 
Location: On the USS Sovereign
Re: Star Trek: Destiny Book 3: Lost Souls - (SPOILERS)

Will there be(was there) an SCE story telling use how the planet became invisible to the Borg?
Ronald Held is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29 2008, 02:56 PM   #418
Christopher
Writer
 
Christopher's Avatar
 
Re: Star Trek: Destiny Book 3: Lost Souls - (SPOILERS)

Ronald Held wrote: View Post
Will there be(was there) an SCE story telling use how the planet became invisible to the Borg?
There wasn't, since the SCE/CoE series only got up to mid-2377 before it ended and this was February 2381. And there are no current plans for further original CoE material, at least until all the TPB reprints are done in a couple of years.
__________________
Christopher L. Bennett Homepage -- Site update 11/16/14 including annotations for "The Caress of a Butterfly's Wing" and overview for DTI: The Collectors

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29 2008, 07:49 PM   #419
Sci
Admiral
 
Sci's Avatar
 
Location: "Don't blame me--I voted for Jaresh-Inyo!"
Re: Star Trek: Destiny Book 3: Lost Souls - (SPOILERS)

Christopher wrote: View Post
Ronald Held wrote: View Post
Will there be(was there) an SCE story telling use how the planet became invisible to the Borg?
There wasn't, since the SCE/CoE series only got up to mid-2377 before it ended and this was February 2381. And there are no current plans for further original CoE material, at least until all the TPB reprints are done in a couple of years.
Unless they put it in a box.
__________________
"Every line of serious work that I have written since 1936 has been written, directly or indirectly, against totalitarianism and for democratic Socialism, as I understand it." - George Orwell, 1946
Sci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29 2008, 09:51 PM   #420
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral
 
Turtletrekker's Avatar
 
Location: Tacoma, Washington
Re: Star Trek: Destiny Book 3: Lost Souls - (SPOILERS)

Sci wrote: View Post
Christopher wrote: View Post
Ronald Held wrote: View Post
Will there be(was there) an SCE story telling use how the planet became invisible to the Borg?
There wasn't, since the SCE/CoE series only got up to mid-2377 before it ended and this was February 2381. And there are no current plans for further original CoE material, at least until all the TPB reprints are done in a couple of years.
Unless they put it in a box.
That was my thought as well.
__________________
Whatever you celebrate this time of year-- be it Christmas, Hanukah, Ramadan, Kwanza, the Solstice, Life Day, Durin's Day, Festivus or whatever, let it be happy, joyful and safe.
Turtletrekker is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
aventine, borg, destiny, destiny trilogy, reviewpoll_v1

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 07:47 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.