RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 137,857
Posts: 5,328,482
Members: 24,554
Currently online: 666
Newest member: Kastrol

TrekToday headlines

Retro Review: Inquisition
By: Michelle on Jul 12

Cubify Star Trek 3DMe Mini Figurines
By: T'Bonz on Jul 11

Latest Official Starships Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Jul 10

Seven of Nine Bobble Head
By: T'Bonz on Jul 9

Pegg The Prankster
By: T'Bonz on Jul 9

More Trek Stars Join Unbelievable!!!!!
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

View Poll Results: Grade the movie...
Excellent 31 22.30%
Above Average 58 41.73%
Average 32 23.02%
Below Average 12 8.63%
Poor 6 4.32%
Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old December 26 2008, 06:33 PM   #256
CorporalClegg
Vice Admiral
 
CorporalClegg's Avatar
 
Re: Quantum of Solace - Grading & Discussion

Ceridwen Troy wrote: View Post
Scrooge4747 wrote: View Post
Well, it seems that Maddox came out of hibernation to review this movie:

Quantum of Solace is a Shitpile
Damn, I couldn't disagree with that review more.
No idea who the guy is, but that has to be one of the most uneducated reviews I've ever read in my life. Everything he wrote made him sound like he 12 and totally ill-represented the movie. And I didn't even really like it.

Then that whole thing with the title just made him sound like an ignorant buffoon.
__________________
I haven't much to say.
CorporalClegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26 2008, 06:40 PM   #257
SalvorHardin
Rear Admiral
 
SalvorHardin's Avatar
 
Location: Star's End
View SalvorHardin's Twitter Profile
Re: Quantum of Solace - Grading & Discussion

Scrooge4747 wrote: View Post
Well, it seems that Maddox came out of hibernation to review this movie:

Quantum of Solace is a Shitpile
Wow!
What asylum did this guy escape from ?
__________________

SalvorHardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26 2008, 07:37 PM   #258
Zeppster
Commodore
 
Zeppster's Avatar
 
Location: Oklahoma
Re: Quantum of Solace - Grading & Discussion

Jax wrote: View Post
Am re-watching QoS and as I thought it makes for a better re-watch value and easier to follow the plot but still could be tighter. So far only real scene that bugs me is the parachute one because he pulls it far too late, a few seconds earlier would of been much more believeable and shows me that Marc Foster is nowhere near the director Campbell is for Bond movies anyway. However saying that I thought Foster did excellent work with the fight scenes especially the last fight scenes in the hotel and the Bond girl (though she didn't shag bond which made a good change) was probably the best and that wasn't easy to do because Vesper was a good character.

I like the Bourne esq fights, Bond needs to change from the older films and I don't buy the people saying it should be like older Bond...CR proved them wrong. I like Bond being more bitter for this movie, he has real excuse but am sure he will be back to a more normal Bond in the next movie.
I agree with all this. I think after it goes on DVD and people start watching it a few times, it gets better after more than one or two views.
Zeppster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26 2008, 08:23 PM   #259
trevanian
Rear Admiral
 
trevanian's Avatar
 
Re: Quantum of Solace - Grading & Discussion

Much as I disagree with this MADDOX on QOS, I actually like the way he represented his views (and he does have a few valid points, though most of them are a set-up to make him look smart.)

He just doesn't realize that the producers are to fault for this thing, not the director. If they'd avoided hiring a second editor to massacre the action, the whole thing would probably work better than it does (as good as it can, considering the arrow-through-the-head-before-going-into-battle that is casting Daniel Craig as James Bond instead of casting him as 'villain's 2nd henchman' or 'Felix Leiter.')
trevanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27 2008, 06:16 PM   #260
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral
 
JacksonArcher's Avatar
 
Send a message via AIM to JacksonArcher
Re: Quantum of Solace - Grading & Discussion

I honestly had no problem with the editing. I know many people have, including my own friend who I saw it with a second time a while back, but for me I have no problem catching everything that is happening between all the quick cuts.

After seeing the film twice now, I can say my opinion hasn't really changed. It holds very well on a second viewing, and while there weren't any new details I could unearth, I was able to absorb the action more and the smaller moments between Bond & M or Bond & Camille.

I still can't pinpoint why exactly people dislike this movie. I saw this for the second time with my friend & his girlfriend; she liked it more than him, and interestingly enough trevanian, my friend raised the same point that you did: If this Bond is suppose to actually care about not killing, then why does he kill every time he's in a fisticuffs?

I think he kills so much in Casino Royale because he feels like he has to, and he kills so much in Quantum of Solace because he's exacting revenge. I think it's an evolution of the character, going from killing out of necessity to killing out of desire. I think both movies make a big deal out of, and for a reason.

Anyway, I'm going to see it today, again, for the third time. I'll likely re-explore some of these topics and points when I see it again, but I watch this, and I think about it, and then I go back to a movie like Live and Let Die, which I saw again recently on TV, and I can't get past a Bond who quips and looks, in all honesty, like a pansy. The Bond I read in Fleming's books was a callous, cold-hearted bastard, and I really think Daniel Craig captures that in his films.
__________________
"Please... We need you to hope again... " - Professor Charles Xavier, X-Men: Days of Future Past
JacksonArcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28 2008, 07:03 AM   #261
TheImperial
Ensign
 
Re: Quantum of Solace - Grading & Discussion

I had to go with above average. It was a good movie but it was a bit of a letdown after Casino Royale.
TheImperial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28 2008, 11:49 AM   #262
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral
 
Trekker4747's Avatar
 
Location: Kansas City
Re: Quantum of Solace - Grading & Discussion

TheImperial wrote: View Post
I had to go with above average. It was a good movie but it was a bit of a letdown after Casino Royale.
That's sort of like saying a nap isn't as good as a long-night's sleep.

__________________
Just because it's futuristic doesn't mean it's practical.
Trekker4747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28 2008, 07:00 PM   #263
trevanian
Rear Admiral
 
trevanian's Avatar
 
Re: Quantum of Solace - Grading & Discussion

Scrooge4747 wrote: View Post
TheImperial wrote: View Post
I had to go with above average. It was a good movie but it was a bit of a letdown after Casino Royale.
That's sort of like saying a nap isn't as good as a long-night's sleep.

Well, CR definitely induced sleep.
trevanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28 2008, 08:33 PM   #264
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral
 
Trekker4747's Avatar
 
Location: Kansas City
Re: Quantum of Solace - Grading & Discussion

trevanian wrote: View Post
Scrooge4747 wrote: View Post
TheImperial wrote: View Post
I had to go with above average. It was a good movie but it was a bit of a letdown after Casino Royale.
That's sort of like saying a nap isn't as good as a long-night's sleep.

Well, CR definitely induced sleep.
"The titular casino face-off is coming... soon!"
- Mike Nelson on the Casino Royale Rifftrax.
__________________
Just because it's futuristic doesn't mean it's practical.
Trekker4747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28 2008, 10:16 PM   #265
trevanian
Rear Admiral
 
trevanian's Avatar
 
Re: Quantum of Solace - Grading & Discussion

Scrooge4747 wrote: View Post
trevanian wrote: View Post
Scrooge4747 wrote: View Post

That's sort of like saying a nap isn't as good as a long-night's sleep.

Well, CR definitely induced sleep.
"The titular casino face-off is coming... soon!"
- Mike Nelson on the Casino Royale Rifftrax.
I probably oughta listen to that ... then again, they should have hired me to do one for them.
trevanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29 2008, 01:11 AM   #266
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral
 
JacksonArcher's Avatar
 
Send a message via AIM to JacksonArcher
Re: Quantum of Solace - Grading & Discussion

I'm one of the few that found the second half of Casino Royale as thrilling as the first -- if not more so. Just because there wasn't any quick cuts, action sequences or foot chases doesn't make a well-played card game less entertaining. The eye contact between Bond and LeChiffre was magnetic, and I was glued to the screen to see what happened next. Bond facing off assassins and getting poisoned only added to the mix.
__________________
"Please... We need you to hope again... " - Professor Charles Xavier, X-Men: Days of Future Past
JacksonArcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29 2008, 02:56 AM   #267
Broccoli
Vice Admiral
 
Broccoli's Avatar
 
Location: Broccoli
Re: Quantum of Solace - Grading & Discussion

JacksonArcher wrote: View Post
I'm one of the few that found the second half of Casino Royale as thrilling as the first -- if not more so. Just because there wasn't any quick cuts, action sequences or foot chases doesn't make a well-played card game less entertaining. The eye contact between Bond and LeChiffre was magnetic, and I was glued to the screen to see what happened next. Bond facing off assassins and getting poisoned only added to the mix.
Agreed. Although, the rifftrax was pretty funny. Can't wait to see if they do QoS. Now that should be good.
__________________
"That which can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence." -- Christopher Hitchens
Broccoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31 2008, 03:28 AM   #268
John Picard
Vice Admiral
 
John Picard's Avatar
 
Location: Waiting for Dorian Thompson to invite me to lunch
Re: Quantum of Solace - Grading & Discussion

I just saw it today with my son. I voted Above Average but should have voted Excellent. The car chase at the beginning kicked total ass as did Bond's quick wit and brute resistance toward his enemies.

As of this movie, I have now put Daniel Craig as THE BEST BOND, with Sean Connery dropping to #2. I cannot wait for the next Bond film. I would love to see Craig playing Bond for at least 6 or even 7 films.
__________________
Don't like my posts? Fill out a report.
Psssstttt - Dorian, my location.
John Picard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31 2008, 05:30 PM   #269
DarthPipes
Rear Admiral
 
DarthPipes's Avatar
 
Re: Quantum of Solace - Grading & Discussion

You know, I read the Casino Royale book over the holidays. Daniel Craig's Bond is definitely similiar to Book Bond. However, I found it to be a case where I enjoyed the movie better than the book. More exciting and fleshed out the Vesper character more. But considering the movie was adaptated fifty years later, they stayed true to much of the overall story.

That being said, Quatum of Solace still sucked balls. The new kind of Bond film doesn't have to be boring and joyless.
DarthPipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31 2008, 06:47 PM   #270
Ensign_Redshirt
Commodore
 
Re: Quantum of Solace - Grading & Discussion

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
Well, it seems that Maddox came out of hibernation to review this movie:

Quantum of Solace is a Shitpile

Everything about this movie pissed me off, save for the lesbian finger bang scene. Except even that sucked because it wasn't in the movie.
Huh, wtf?

And this was the point where I stopped reading this review.
Ensign_Redshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
007, box office, daniel craig, ian fleming, james bond, olga kurylenko, quantum of solace

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:18 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.