RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 141,498
Posts: 5,511,132
Members: 25,134
Currently online: 470
Newest member: Taelon

TrekToday headlines

Trek Paper Clips
By: T'Bonz on Dec 24

Sargent Passes
By: T'Bonz on Dec 23

QMx Trek Insignia Badges
By: T'Bonz on Dec 23

And The New Director Of Star Trek 3 Is…
By: T'Bonz on Dec 23

TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

IDW Publishing March 2015 Comics
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Paramount Star Trek 3 Expectations
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old December 27 2008, 11:25 PM   #16
Reverend
Rear Admiral
 
Reverend's Avatar
 
Location: UK
Re: Officer Alex J. Murphy

davejames wrote: View Post
Nociod wrote: View Post
All this talk about Robocop made me realize that I only have it on VHS, and not DVD, so I just bought the trilogy pack on DVD

Don't know if Im gonna watch the third movie when it arrives though, man I remeber that sucked.. But we'll see.

But back on topic.. Peter Weller really made the character Alex Murphy work, I don't know if the new actor can live up to that, but I'll watch the movie with an open mind
I have to admit Robo's big entrance in the third movie is pretty cool, but... that's about it.

As for a new Murphy, it's gotta be some average, ordinary looking guy like Weller was. That's what makes it so cool later when we see him come back as a hulking, cyborg badass and get his revenge on everybody.

Eckhart is too much of a matinee idol to pull that same thing off.
As I understand it, part of the reason Weller was cast in the first place was because he was physically slight enough to fit inside the costume and was a trained mime, so he had the physical discipline to move like a fluid machine. That's somehting the other Robocop actors never got quite right: the walk. Weller's walk isn't nearly as jerky and mechanical as the others and was in fact deceptively elegant. There's an economy of movement involved that is missing from the later performances.
So whomever they cast for the reboot, I imagine it will be another relative unknown with a background in dance, mime, gymnastics or something similar.
Of they could just hire Doug Jones.
Reverend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 27 2008, 11:37 PM   #17
davejames
Vice Admiral
 
Location: Sac, Ca
Re: Officer Alex J. Murphy

Reverend wrote: View Post
As I understand it, part of the reason Weller was cast in the first place was because he was physically slight enough to fit inside the costume and was a trained mime, so he had the physical discipline to move like a fluid machine. That's somehting the other Robocop actors never got quite right: the walk. Weller's walk isn't nearly as jerky and mechanical as the others and was in fact deceptively elegant. There's an economy of movement involved that is missing from the later performances.
So whomever they cast for the reboot, I imagine it will be another relative unknown with a background in dance, mime, gymnastics or something similar.
Of they could just hire Doug Jones.
Yeah it's amazing to me that the other actors couldn't even come CLOSE to moving like Weller did in the suit. Maybe some of that was just them wanting to bring their own style to it, but whatever the case, it never looked half as good.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28 2008, 12:13 AM   #18
Lord Lunacy
Commander
 
Lord Lunacy's Avatar
 
Location: U.S.
Re: Officer Alex J. Murphy

Kinky Santa wrote: View Post
If I were the casting director of that movie I would shoot everyone in the room and then turn the gun against myself while shouting "the original is perfect as is!!!"


BANG!

The original was good I'll admit; pretty much a campy modern day frankenstein.

Who to play Murphey? How about Matthew McConaughey, Timothy Olyphant, Russell Crowe...or Hayden Christensen! I can see it now, Hayden and his bitch voice telling bad guys they are going with him dead or alive.
__________________
"Sometimes you feel like a nut, sometimes you don't..."

Last edited by Lord Lunacy; December 28 2008 at 12:30 AM.
Lord Lunacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28 2008, 01:15 AM   #19
Ugly Sweater
Trekker4747
 
Ugly Sweater's Avatar
 
Location: Kansas City
Re: Officer Alex J. Murphy

Based on the confusion I had when reading this thread title I think Eddie Murphy should play it.
__________________
Just because it's futuristic doesn't mean it's practical.
Ugly Sweater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28 2008, 03:55 AM   #20
Aragorn
Admiral
 
Aragorn's Avatar
 
Re: Officer Alex J. Murphy

Kiefer Sutherland: "Dead or alive, you're coming with me. Damnit!"

Christian Bale: "I'm not going to arrest you, but I don't have to save you."

Keanu Reeves: "Whoa, stay out of trouble, dudes and dudettes."

Kevin Costner: "Serve the public trust, protect the innocent, uphold the law, find out who really killed JFK."

Sylvester Stallone: "I'm a cop. I AM THE LAW!"

Tom Cruise: (Message board poster: He's not speaking with a robosapien accent, and I find that too distracting.)
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28 2008, 04:15 AM   #21
Rķu rķu, chķu
Fleet Admiral
 
Rķu rķu, chķu's Avatar
 
Location: Mr. Laser Beam is in the visitor's bullpen
View Rķu rķu, chķu's Twitter Profile
Re: Officer Alex J. Murphy

I don't know why this idea popped into my head, but:

Connor Trinneer.

They could even work that into the plot: "Officer Murphy is NOT.DEAD."
__________________
"A hot dog at the ballpark is better than a steak at the Ritz." - Humphrey Bogart
Rķu rķu, chķu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28 2008, 04:37 AM   #22
Ugly Sweater
Trekker4747
 
Ugly Sweater's Avatar
 
Location: Kansas City
Re: Officer Alex J. Murphy

Christian Bale:

"GROWL MUMBLE MUMBLE GROWL GROWL"
__________________
Just because it's futuristic doesn't mean it's practical.
Ugly Sweater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28 2008, 06:12 AM   #23
Agent Richard07
Retired
 
Re: Officer Alex J. Murphy

Lord Lunacy wrote: View Post
Who to play Murphey? How about Matthew McConaughey...
I'm sure he'll demand a scene where he gets to take off his shirt.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28 2008, 06:17 AM   #24
nx1701g
Admiral
 
nx1701g's Avatar
 
Location: Aboard the Executor...
Re: Officer Alex J. Murphy

^ They could do it after the gunfight.
__________________
Not Dead Yet.
nx1701g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28 2008, 06:35 AM   #25
Mike Farley
Commodore
 
Mike Farley's Avatar
 
Location: Lost Vegas
Re: Officer Alex J. Murphy

Lord Lunacy wrote: View Post
Kinky Santa wrote: View Post
If I were the casting director of that movie I would shoot everyone in the room and then turn the gun against myself while shouting "the original is perfect as is!!!"


BANG!

The original was good I'll admit; pretty much a campy modern day frankenstein.

Who to play Murphey? How about Matthew McConaughey, Timothy Olyphant, Russell Crowe...or Hayden Christensen! I can see it now, Hayden and his bitch voice telling bad guys they are going with him dead or alive.
Hayden does not have the range to play a monotone, emotionless cyborg.
Mike Farley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28 2008, 07:04 AM   #26
TheImperial
Ensign
 
Re: Officer Alex J. Murphy

Lord Lunacy wrote: View Post
Kinky Santa wrote: View Post
If I were the casting director of that movie I would shoot everyone in the room and then turn the gun against myself while shouting "the original is perfect as is!!!"


BANG!

The original was good I'll admit; pretty much a campy modern day frankenstein.

Who to play Murphey? How about Matthew McConaughey, Timothy Olyphant, Russell Crowe...or Hayden Christensen! I can see it now, Hayden and his bitch voice telling bad guys they are going with him dead or alive.
Timothy Olyphant is a good choice. I hope that they'd go with him. He's joining Damages I think.
TheImperial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28 2008, 07:09 AM   #27
Rķu rķu, chķu
Fleet Admiral
 
Rķu rķu, chķu's Avatar
 
Location: Mr. Laser Beam is in the visitor's bullpen
View Rķu rķu, chķu's Twitter Profile
Re: Officer Alex J. Murphy

Faran Tahir.

Then, Officer Murphy will be a true Badass.
__________________
"A hot dog at the ballpark is better than a steak at the Ritz." - Humphrey Bogart
Rķu rķu, chķu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28 2008, 12:20 PM   #28
Snowy Roshi
Vice Admiral
 
Snowy Roshi's Avatar
 
Location: Mutenroshi
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Snowy Roshi
Re: Officer Alex J. Murphy

Aragorn wrote: View Post
Sylvester Stallone: "I'm a cop. I AM THE LAW!"
Whaaaat? And he will take off the helmet 5 minutes into the film!
__________________
Let There Be Rock!

Jack Beauregard: "You shine like the door of a whorehouse!"
Nobody: "I like folks to see me."
Snowy Roshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28 2008, 01:15 PM   #29
Emher
Admiral
 
Emher's Avatar
 
Location: Emher
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emher Send a message via Yahoo to Emher
Re: Officer Alex J. Murphy

I'll add a vote for Timothy Olyphant.

And I love that clip with the TV version, so bad a lot of the time, but I actually thought replacing "Aw, fuck you!" with "Yeah, for you!" was an improvment.
__________________
"I am who I am. Someone has to be."-Brendan Gleeson as Reynald in Kingdom of Heaven. - Emher
Emher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28 2008, 06:59 PM   #30
Zulu Romeo
Admiral
 
Zulu Romeo's Avatar
 
Send a message via Yahoo to Zulu Romeo
Re: Officer Alex J. Murphy

Emher wrote: View Post
And I love that clip with the TV version, so bad a lot of the time, but I actually thought replacing "Aw, fuck you!" with "Yeah, for you!" was an improvment.
My eternal abiding memory of RoboCop was ITV's screening of the heavily expurgated and cleaned-up version during the early evening one lazy Saturday during the mid-90s.

"You are gonna be a bad mother[crusher]!"
"Once I even called him... '[airhead]'!"
__________________
"In Germany, fear comes before sex... and if you're lucky, then a little bit later, an elf." -- Victoria Coren Mitchell
Zulu Romeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
reboot, robocop

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:59 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.