Trek Merchandise Sale
By: T'Bonz on Aug 28

Star Trek #39 Villain Revealed

Trek Big Bang Figures

Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: Grade the movie...
Excellent 15 17.24%
Above Average 36 41.38%
Average 24 27.59%
Below Average 8 9.20%
Poor 4 4.60%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 31 2008, 03:25 AM   #91
GalaxyX
Rear Admiral

Re: Hancock - Grading & Discussion

^^^ Just saved that to my PC.

The things that most annoyed me about the movie:

1. No valid reason was given for why Hancock is the way he is.
2. No valid reason for his change of heart.
3. The fact that there is another superbeing takes away from his uniqueness, as the story is no longer just about him.
4. The best parts of the movie played in the trailer (I thought the whale scene was going to be part of his "rehab" and not some random thing he just did for the hell of it, dumb dumb dumb)
5. After the PR Guy has been so nice to him, and him turning over a new leaf (for no apparent reason other than he wants to be liked?) he still wants to force himself on dude's wife? Lame.
6. Dude's wife tosses him thru the wall, and THIS is the changing moment for the character? Lamer!!

Like many have said on here, I wanted to see a movie about a downed superhero who makes his way back to the top again, not some dumbass get kicked around the city by a superGF with a temper tandrum.

Superman Returns is a classic compared to this pathetic attempt at comedy/drama.
Old December 22 2008, 06:52 PM   #92
Hyperspace05
Commodore

Sorry for necro-posting up this thread , but I finally rented Hancock on DVD.

And I have to give it an Excellent rating... The movie ended up a bit different than I expected - but in a good way.

I also dug the backstory - even if it was minimalist on purpose. Just enough was told to make you curious to fnd out more. (I *hate* obvious expositional dialog, so I was glad to not have to hear too much of it) I has guessed the 'twist' that Theron's character had powers from the trailer, but to me the real 'twist' was that she wasn't a villain, as I had expected.

I really dug the 2nd half of the movie - which I liked more than the 1st half. I mean how much can you do with a drunk superhero? They pretty much covered all those bases in 15 minutes or less, so I was glad to see the plot move on. (even if it was amusing)
Hyperspace05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27 2008, 02:32 AM   #93
GalaxyX
Rear Admiral

^^^ I went to see a movie about a superhero who was down on his luck and slowly got back to the top. I didn't go to see a movie about "My super ex Girlfriend 2.5"

The movie started out good. Good writing would have given us a good backstory as to why Hancock is a depressed asshole. As it stands in the movie, he is like that simply because he's Will Smith.

Think about it, Superman basically becomes good because his parents loved him and showed him to care for people. Hancock perhaps could have landed, but never found love? maybe he was a foster kid from home to home? What would a person who grew up like this but all of a sudden started getting superpowers be like?

Maybe they would turn criminal? Maybe out of some sense of pity help people once in a while, but not really giving a damn? Maybe he'd become some sort of anti-hero? Punishing those he believes have hurt him?

The movie sort of had the right idea. Hancock starts off as a bum, who occassionally feels pressed to "help out". Where they started going wrong IMO was:

1. The easy way in which Hancock was convinced to "start turning a new leaf"

2. Not enough "half asses good deeds of kindness"

3. The whole prison scene could have been where he "lets go" of his pains and starts turning for the better?

4. Having super ex GF throw him around the city just totally destroyed what little development this film had. It simply became a parody of superheroes at that point. What might have been nice was having Hancock face some sort of massive threat to earth, and super ex gf shows up and helps him fight it?

There's so many good ideas that could have been done as compared to what was done.
Old December 27 2008, 05:20 AM   #94
Hyperspace05
Commodore

GalaxyX wrote: View Post
... Think about it, Superman basically becomes good because his parents loved him and showed him to care for people. Hancock perhaps could have landed, but never found love? maybe he was a foster kid from home to home? What would a person who grew up like this but all of a sudden started getting superpowers be like?

Maybe they would turn criminal? Maybe out of some sense of pity help people once in a while, but not really giving a damn? Maybe he'd become some sort of anti-hero? Punishing those he believes have hurt him?...
Well you clearly wanted to see a different film that what the film-makers wanted to make... It happens all the time.

I personally liked it a lot. Tastes differ. Did we get a different film that what the trailers showed? Yep - and I'm glad for it. I like to be surprised. (The trailers showed no scenes of the last 3rd of the movie, which is sooo nice for a change)

(You could always try write your own story along the lines out outlined... it does sound interesting as well)
Old December 27 2008, 10:22 PM   #95
GalaxyX
Rear Admiral

Well you clearly wanted to see a different film that what the film-makers wanted to make... It happens all the time.
Which is fine if the trailer had been honest and not outright lied.
Old December 27 2008, 10:25 PM   #96
Hyperspace05
Commodore

GalaxyX wrote: View Post
Which is fine if the trailer had been honest and not outright lied.
Huh? What did it lie about? Since when do trailers have to show every plot point?