Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Star Trek Pop-Ups Book Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Cho: More On Selfie
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Deep Space Nine

Deep Space Nine What We Left Behind, we will always have here.

Old November 22 2008, 05:53 PM   #1171
Neroon
Mod of balance

Re: Niners Unite...around Babylon 5! - The Lost Threads

The character's name was Ari Ben Zayn, a veteran of fihts in New Jerusalem, etc so I suspect he's Jewish. Hence the last name being "Ben Zayn", but that's a wild guess on my part.

I don't know.... I gelt it worked pretty well, because this guy was mad, driven that way because of war and getting passed over for promotion.
- Proverbs 12:20
Neroon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23 2008, 12:20 AM   #1172
Jan
Commodore

Hirogen Alpha wrote: View Post
"Eyes" doesn't work as well as it should, I think. It works, but not as well as it should. The guy who comes to take Sinclair's power (is Zayn his name?) has that huge scar and an over-the-top performance to go with. I know the scar was his own, but it's just a little much.
Larry DiTillio said in his commentary for "Eyes" that much time was spent trying to reign in the over-the-top performance of the actor who played Ben Zayn to no avail.

Jan
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23 2008, 12:25 AM   #1173
Neroon
Mod of balance

I don't disagree with you guys that he was overdone, but I still tend to think the story itself was reasonably well executed.
Old November 23 2008, 03:29 AM   #1174
Phily B
Fleet Captain

View Phily B's Twitter Profile

Neroon wrote: View Post
"Eyes" from season 1 is an episode that I think doesn't get quite enough love. The B story of Lennier building Garibaldi's motorcycle is a lot of fun. But the A-story of Ben Zayn attempting to usurp Sinclair's command is a plot element that I'd definitely expect.
That episode nearly made me quit, the concept behind it was good but the acting was pretty bad.
Phily B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23 2008, 04:16 AM   #1175
Neroon
Mod of balance

Phily B wrote: View Post
"Eyes" from season 1 is an episode that I think doesn't get quite enough love. The B story of Lennier building Garibaldi's motorcycle is a lot of fun. But the A-story of Ben Zayn attempting to usurp Sinclair's command is a plot element that I'd definitely expect.
That episode nearly made me quit, the concept behind it was good but the acting was pretty bad.
You really think so? Obviously I didn't but why did you think it was so bad? It's not as if it was Emmy material, but nothing really stood out to me as being cringeworthy
Old November 24 2008, 12:20 AM   #1176
Reverend
Rear Admiral

In a nutshell the actor playing the Colonel bloke was hamming it up something rotten, almost to the point of parody. In fact, I felt he acted as if he was a character in Dr. Strangelove; any second I expected him to start obsessing about the security of the station's fluids...
Maybe it's because the guy was more of a stage actor, or felt the part called for an over the top, Patton-type fool (hardly unheard of with senior military types) I have no idea. Either way it didn't fit the tone and violently clashed with Combe's low key performance.
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25 2008, 08:48 PM   #1177
Phily B
Fleet Captain

Phily B wrote: View Post
You really think so? Obviously I didn't but why did you think it was so bad? It's not as if it was Emmy material, but nothing really stood out to me as being cringeworthy
He was just so over the top, even for Babylon 5. I think it may have been this thread, but I only watched it about a year ago and it was a struggle to get through season 1 first time due to some of the bad acting, but this took the biscuit.
Old December 1 2008, 05:58 PM   #1178
Harvey
Admiral

Reverend wrote: View Post
Either way it didn't fit the tone and violently clashed with Combe's low key performance.
Actually, it might be Combs' presence that really tips the Colonel's performance over the edge. It's a hammy performance, but it is made far worse because Combs is right there next to him delivering a performance that isn't hammy at all.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23 2008, 02:10 AM   #1179
Mal
Rear Admiral

Isaiah 60:1 wrote: View Post
A question to pose:

My friends have been clamoring for a B5 marathon, as we havne' thad one in quite awhile. My idea is to show a couple of "hidden gems", epiodes that aren't usually named on people's "best episode lists" but are still well regarded. Got any suggestions?

I think 2x10 GROPOS gets a particularly bad rep because it comes right after the spectacular Coming of Shadows. But if you aren't watching an in-order B5 marathon, you don't have that problem - and you can enjoy Dodger - who really is just a ton of fun
Old December 27 2008, 02:31 AM   #1180
Reverend
Rear Admiral

'GROPOS' is actually one of my favourites. Aside from the fun aspect of it giving a rare glimpse at ground warfare in a sci-fi setting it had some memorable, if a little clichéd guest characters (Large, Dodger, The General & the SgtMaj.) Most of all, it was a very important episode for Franklin; who some fans seam to have it in for, though I never understood why exactly. I remember hearing back during season three or four that JMS was planning on bringing Franklin senior back during the civil war and I was always curious as to why that was never followed up on.
Personally I wonder if he stayed loyal to Earthdome or defected to Sherian's side. Sure the guy may be hard headed, a bit of a gingoistic hawk but he wasn't stupid and after that ISN propoganda piece from 'Illusion Of Truth' you'd think he'd smell the BS. I mean while he may buy that Sheridan had lost it and "gone native" with the aliens, he knows his son well enough to know he's not about to start playing Dr Mengala with Lurkers.
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28 2008, 06:00 AM   #1181
Neroon
Mod of balance

GROPOS is indeed one of those fan favorite episodes, I think because of that rare glimpse into other aspects of military life in that universe. Compare it to "The Siege of AR-558". The episodes are very different in many respects, but.... in each you get to see a side of the conflicts that normally is hidden or forgotten.
Old December 29 2008, 02:34 AM   #1182
Mal
Rear Admiral

'GROPOS' is actually one of my favourites. Aside from the fun aspect of it giving a rare glimpse at ground warfare in a sci-fi setting it had some memorable, if a little clichéd guest characters (Large, Dodger, The General & the SgtMaj.) Most of all, it was a very important episode for Franklin; who some fans seam to have it in for, though I never understood why exactly. I remember hearing back during season three or four that JMS was planning on bringing Franklin senior back during the civil war and I was always curious as to why that was never followed up on.
Personally I wonder if he stayed loyal to Earthdome or defected to Sherian's side. Sure the guy may be hard headed, a bit of a gingoistic hawk but he wasn't stupid and after that ISN propoganda piece from 'Illusion Of Truth' you'd think he'd smell the BS. I mean while he may buy that Sheridan had lost it and "gone native" with the aliens, he knows his son well enough to know he's not about to start playing Dr Mengala with Lurkers.

I think General Franklin would have been a much better choice than General Lefcourt, who was the General that confronted Sheridan at Mars in 4x20 Endgame, as well as was David Sheridan's poker buddy in In the Beginning. There's nothing that Lefcourt brings to the role that Franklin Senior wouldn't have done better - and it would have given the whole thing much more of an emotion appeal (for the viewers).

Plus, it would have added significant weight to the choice to send Doctor Franklin with Sheridan on the mission (with G'kar) to meet the Minbari Ranger.

Maybe they weren't clear on how exactly to make Paul Winfield look young. Or maybe, they just wanted a another B5/DS9 crossover
Old December 30 2008, 10:12 PM   #1183
JoeD80
Captain

Most of all, it was a very important episode for Franklin; who some fans seam to have it in for, though I never understood why exactly.
They do? Didn't know that. Franklin is one of my favorite characters.

I remember hearing back during season three or four that JMS was planning on bringing Franklin senior back during the civil war and I was always curious as to why that was never followed up on.
Personally I wonder if he stayed loyal to Earthdome or defected to Sherian's side.
jms' take:

jms wrote:
I think he would tend to fall on the other side, and it'd be good to show that some people may think that yes, there's a problem, but you solve that problem from within, not by breaking away. Could make for some nice drama....
Sounds like a bit of this thread got passed to Lochley when that character was created.

Mal wrote: View Post
Maybe they weren't clear on how exactly to make Paul Winfield look young.
It was either in the script book or in an interview somewhere that Paul Winfield had some trouble with remembering large amounts of dialogue for his scenes; so perhaps they didn't bring him back in another episode because of that.
JoeD80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31 2008, 05:17 PM   #1184
Neroon
Mod of balance

I keep meaning to post this, and Jan did mention it in the SFF forum.

JMS has given approval to allow John Hudgens to post the music videos he's created over the years. I'm sure many folks have seen them, but in case you haven't ... go to Babylon5scripts.com/videos

The memorial to Andreas is actually a bit longer than the earlier version. It's still primarily done with the "Dragonheart" score, but now it's prefixed with G'Kar's epilogue from "Z'ha'dum".
Old January 2 2009, 12:51 AM   #1185
Phily B
Fleet Captain

Got the entire universe boxset for Christmas which has every DVD. Good stuff. Looks awful on my HDTV mind.