Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Frakes: Sign Me Up!
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Fiction

Fan Fiction Other forums talk about Trek. We make it.

Old December 5 2008, 07:53 PM   #46
Nerys Ghemor
Vice Admiral

Re: Arc of the Wolf: True Bearings - Artwork

Very nice! I especially like "Breathless"--the expression is just perfect!

As for "Be Careful"...it's kinda strange to see that one. There's emotion there, but they both kind of look like they're holding back.
Old December 5 2008, 07:57 PM   #47
SLWatson
Captain

Send a message via AIM to SLWatson

Nerys Ghemor wrote: View Post
Very nice! I especially like "Breathless"--the expression is just perfect!

As for "Be Careful"...it's kinda strange to see that one. There's emotion there, but they both kind of look like they're holding back.
"Messed up and off-balanced" maybe? Thanks for the comments!
SLWatson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7 2008, 01:50 PM   #48
DavidFalkayn
Commodore

Very well done vignettes--just the spot for before grading finals.
Old December 7 2008, 06:14 PM   #49
SLWatson
Captain

DavidFalkayn wrote: View Post
Very well done vignettes--just the spot for before grading finals.
Thanks very much, and thanks for reading so far!
Old December 17 2008, 10:29 PM   #50
Mistral
Vice Admiral

I just read through this. Lobster Wars is my next chapter. A few comments.

"She sings!" had me all choked up. The whole story of Cory's return home was amazing. Rachel's fall was well done-as someone who's had to deal with that type of situation, I thought you got the "feeling" of the situation dead on. Your explanation of Scotty's work on the Enterprise, particularly the short bit about him going EVA, was dynamite imagery. Usually, when I read anything, I read very fast-superfluous words are ignored and assumed as I gather the 'meat' of the story. It's actually useful when reading some of the less-polished work on this sight. Cuts down on the pain in my grammarian soul. That having been said-I read every word, every sentence you write. It's just such beautiful prose that I don't want to risk missing a key word or nuance. IMO, you could easily support yourself as a fiction writer if you gave it the kind of passion and effort these tales reflect. I'd buy anything you published, guaranteed.

Mistral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17 2008, 10:53 PM   #51
SLWatson
Captain

Mistral wrote: View Post
I just read through this. Lobster Wars is my next chapter. A few comments.
Oh, I can't wait to see what you think of that one.

"She sings!"
had me all choked up. The whole story of Cory's return home was amazing. Rachel's fall was well done-as someone who's had to deal with that type of situation, I thought you got the "feeling" of the situation dead on. Your explanation of Scotty's work on the Enterprise, particularly the short bit about him going EVA, was dynamite imagery. Usually, when I read anything, I read very fast-superfluous words are ignored and assumed as I gather the 'meat' of the story. It's actually useful when reading some of the less-polished work on this sight. Cuts down on the pain in my grammarian soul. That having been said-I read every word, every sentence you write. It's just such beautiful prose that I don't want to risk missing a key word or nuance. IMO, you could easily support yourself as a fiction writer if you gave it the kind of passion and effort these tales reflect. I'd buy anything you published, guaranteed.
I'm honored. Seriously, I am. My very favorite author is Norman Maclean, who approached writing as his father taught him: "It's good, now cut out a third of the words." If I ever get to be as half as good as he is, then I'll be happy.

Funny enough, I've never felt the urge to write original fiction; fanfic allows me to indulge in several passions (history, psychology, writing and in this case, Star Trek). I think I get my best compensation from it just... putting it out there and hoping people enjoy it, and maybe even take something away from it. In my day-job of sorts, I'm a stringer for the local paper, where I'm paid by piece to write little human-interest stories. By night, I just read or write fanfic, when I'm not doing household chores.

Again, thank you very much for the kind words. I'm touched, and humbled by them.
Old December 19 2008, 12:31 AM   #52
mirandafave
Fleet Captain

Re: Arc of the Wolf: True Bearings

Reading my way through the stories and thoroughly enjoying the insight into Scotty [and others]. Your work has a lot of internal drive and honesty to them that I find absorbing. So well done on a great job.
mirandafave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19 2008, 01:02 AM   #53
SLWatson
Captain

mirandafave wrote: View Post
Reading my way through the stories and thoroughly enjoying the insight into Scotty [and others]. Your work has a lot of internal drive and honesty to them that I find absorbing. So well done on a great job.
Thank you very much! I hope that I don't end up disappointing by stumbling along the way.
Old December 23 2008, 10:16 PM   #54
Mistral
Vice Admiral

Well "Lobster Wars" was a kick. And that line about"Understanding what it was like to have a home...." was priceless-I wish I could write something that insightful just once-then I could die content. I have to admit, I was a bit disappointed, though. I wanted to keep reading but it all ended.

Mistral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23 2008, 10:50 PM   #55
SLWatson
Captain

Mistral wrote: View Post
Well "Lobster Wars" was a kick. And that line about"Understanding what it was like to have a home...." was priceless-I wish I could write something that insightful just once-then I could die content. I have to admit, I was a bit disappointed, though. I wanted to keep reading but it all ended.
::laughs:: Well, it didn't end, but there are a lot of big stories missing between this and the next part. As I said before, if people don't mind reading 'em out of context, there are quite a few more stories. But I've given up trying to explain the parts that are missing, and figured I'd hold off on posting them until I actually filled in the gaps.

Thanks so much for reading, and commenting!
Old January 18 2009, 06:19 AM   #56
SLWatson
Captain

Random picture, from the story 'Bookends'. It is warm and fluffy and makes me happy. The picture, that is, not the story. About an hour and a half (real quick piece) on a Wacom Bamboo, in Photoshop CS2.
Old January 18 2009, 07:35 AM   #57
Nerys Ghemor
Vice Admiral

Oh, that IS comforting to look at! Makes me actually want to go to bed early...curl up with a book...
Old January 18 2009, 08:10 AM   #58
SLWatson
Captain

Nerys Ghemor wrote: View Post
Oh, that IS comforting to look at! Makes me actually want to go to bed early...curl up with a book...
Sleepy, early-morning Scotty for the win! It does. I have a thing for warm yellow light. I'm gonna go to bed regardless, but I was glad I managed to successfully draw something for once and finish it.