Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Site Forums > TrekToday News Items

TrekToday News Items Discussion of TrekToday news items

Old December 23 2008, 03:55 AM   #1
TrekToday
Rear Admiral

'Star Trek XI' Update From Abrams

Star Trek XI director J.J. Abrams left a message for fans at the official Star Trek Facebook page.

As reported by Facebook, Abrams updated the production status of Star Trek XI, which was originally planned for a Christmas 2008 release, but was moved to May of 2009.

"We're just making final tweaks to the movie," said Abrams. "We should be totally locked next week. Then we're going to flash-freeze it so it's totally fresh for you in May. I can't wait for you to see the movie. The cast is awesome. The action and effects pushed the stunt team and ILM beyond their limits. I'm so grateful to this cast and crew, and to all of you for your interest and patience."

Abrams promised future updates on the Facebook page. "We'll continue to update this page with new info and exclusives, so check back when you think of it," he said. "In the meantime, have a happy, healthy, fun holiday!"

To read the entry, head to the link located here.

Old December 23 2008, 04:26 AM   #2
billcosby
Commodore

Re: 'Star Trek XI' Update From Abrams

"tweaks?" "locked?" "flash freeze?"

Is he describing a movie or a video game??

I stand ready for JJ's tweaked, locked and flashed freezed fresh feature film for our consumption.

Or whatever.

Old December 23 2008, 02:40 PM   #3
GulDucati
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Pardon my ignorance of movie production terms, but what is "flash-freeze" and how will that make it more fresh in May??
Old December 23 2008, 03:11 PM   #4
Outpost4
Vice Admiral

Who knew Clarence Birdseye was JJ Abrams hero?
Old December 23 2008, 03:22 PM   #5
Lord Garth

Makes sense. All they changed was the release date not so much the production schedule. Nice to see there won't be a down-to-the-wire last-minute rush.

Old December 23 2008, 04:24 PM   #6
Charlie Kelly
Commodore

Cast awesome. Check.
Action and effects pushed beyond limits. Check and check.

Story?

Charlie
Old December 23 2008, 05:48 PM   #7
Procutus
Admiral

Geez, how many times is Abrams going to say that they're almost locked? If the film really is almost 100% complete, I still feel it's absurd to sit on a fimished movie for that length of time.

That said, I'll be there on May 8 to consume this 'freshly-thawed-out' extravaganza.

Old December 23 2008, 06:51 PM   #8
RobertScorpio
Pariah

Procutus wrote: View Post
Geez, how many times is Abrams going to say that they're almost locked? If the film really is almost 100% complete, I still feel it's absurd to sit on a fimished movie for that length of time.

That said, I'll be there on May 8 to consume this 'freshly-thawed-out' extravaganza.

Me too...I think this movie may have the same build up, in my mind, as TMP did...I remember going to that opening night and standing in that long line. Then watching the laser show that proceded it. Then the long view of space while they played the Ilya/Decker love song..and then that opening battle with the Klingons...all so great!!!! I hope this has the same build up, but, is also a better experience than TMP. TMP was good, but the movie, coming on the heels of Star Wars/Close Encounters, was a bit slow and the story seemed tired..

TREX XI has all this 'reboot' going for it...hope they cash in their chips and they are winners..

Rob
Old December 23 2008, 07:08 PM   #9
Procutus
Admiral

RobertScorpio wrote: View Post

I think this movie may have the same build up, in my mind, as TMP did...I remember going to that opening night and standing in that long line. Then watching the laser show that proceded it. Then the long view of space while they played the Ilya/Decker love song..and then that opening battle with the Klingons...all so great!!!!

I agree with you on that, for me, this has been very much like waiting for TMP back in '79. You're lucky though, here in Cleveland we had to wait until December 21 for the movie to open here. Matter of fact, I saw it exactly 19 years ago today, December 23. Brings back memories.

I hope that May 8 creates some new ones, all of them good!

Old December 23 2008, 08:14 PM   #10
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

Lord Garth wrote: View Post
Makes sense. All they changed was the release date not so much the production schedule. Nice to see there won't be a down-to-the-wire last-minute rush.
I think I recall reading after the change in release date was originally announced that they intended to stick as much as possible to the original production schedule, but that they didn't mind having the extra time available, just in case it might be needed.

Edit:

He doesn't really comment on the schedule here, but there's a comment by a Paramount exec here saying that the movie was still expected to be completed before year-end and here some more details from March about the expected schedule.
Old December 23 2008, 08:21 PM   #11
Procutus
Admiral

^

Well certainly, they won't have the problem that they did with TMP, where it was locked into a December 7 national release, and many of the effects really weren't completed to either Trumbull's or Wise's satisfaction.

With the extra time that Team Abrams and ILM have, there is no excuse for the FX not to be as perfect as possible.

I want to be wowed in the same way that LOTR wowed me.
Old December 23 2008, 08:28 PM   #12
Lord Garth

Procutus wrote: View Post
Well certainly, they won't have the problem that they did with TMP, where it was locked into a December 7 national release, and many of the effects really weren't completed to either Trumbull's or Wise's satisfaction.
Exactly the contrast I was thinking about.

Old December 23 2008, 08:38 PM   #13
RobertScorpio
Pariah

I think I said this elsewhere, but when TREK 2 came out they eventually paired it with TMP at the dollar theatre...I went there at 1030am and stayed until 1AM the following morning watching 1 and 2 back to back...I would sleep during TMP later in the day/evening, so as to be rested up in time for another showing of Khan...but in my case it was YAWNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!!!

Rob
Old December 24 2008, 02:23 AM   #14
Procutus
Admiral

While I'll agree there were some slow moments in TMP, over the years it's become my favorite Trek film, simply due to the fact it's the most epic feeling of the group. Granted, that might change come May, but for the moment, it still evokes a sense of wonder about 'what's out there' in me when I watch it (and I just viewed it again about a week ago on our new 42 inch LCD).
Old December 28 2008, 08:55 AM   #15
Tyson
Fleet Captain

pew pew pew thiz will be so sick guyz i cant wait holy shit wow pew pew