Trek UglyDolls First Look
By: T'Bonz on Oct 29

New Star Trek Select Action Figure

Trek Actors In Elsa & Fred

The Red Shirt Diaries #9
By: T'Bonz on Oct 28

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old December 22 2008, 11:01 PM   #1
The Creeper
Commodore

Why don't phasers shoot straight?

Have you ever noticed how phaser streams almost always seem to go out the emitter at an odd angle relative to its aim, why is that?
Old December 22 2008, 11:05 PM   #2
kv1at3485
Commodore

Re: Why don't phasers shoot straight?

The real question is how the user tells the phaser where to direct the beam. There's nothing strange with a "steerable" particle beam or laser.
kv1at3485 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22 2008, 11:17 PM   #3
The Creeper
Commodore

"Steearable" beams may be possible but, IIRC, that idea is not canon, at least not yet.

How hard can it be for the FX Co. doing the effect to align the beam with the shooters aim?
Old December 22 2008, 11:19 PM   #4
Mr. B
Vice Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. B Send a message via AIM to Mr. B Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Mr. B Send a message via Yahoo to Mr. B

It's quite simple, the actors aren't pointing the props in exactly the right direction... they should stick laser pointers in them.
Old December 22 2008, 11:21 PM   #5
Plecostomus
Commodore

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Plecostomus

I could have sworn there was a scene in Deep Space Nine where Kira was reviewing the features of various hand weapons and she hefted the Federation rifle and one of the features she mentioned was the tracking servos/system... and she mentioned this was a remarkable feature but one of the reasons she preferred "simpler" weapons when "in the field..."

One of the 7th season episodes where she was trying to set up a resistance cell against the Dominion.
Plecostomus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22 2008, 11:31 PM   #6
The Creeper
Commodore

Mr. B wrote: View Post
It's quite simple, the actors aren't pointing the props in exactly the right direction... they should stick laser pointers in them.
I thought of that, (actors not pointing in right place) but dismissed it. That means the SFX person doing the shots knows better than the shooter what is being aimed at, & that doesn't make sense. His presumsumntion should be the shooter's aim is as true as can be thus lay out a straight beam along the phasers 'barrel'.

Union Elf wrote: View Post
I could have sworn there was a scene in Deep Space Nine where Kira was reviewing the features of various hand weapons and she hefted the Federation rifle and one of the features she mentioned was the tracking servos/system... and she mentioned this was a remarkable feature but one of the reasons she preferred "simpler" weapons when "in the field..."

One of the 7th season episodes where she was trying to set up a resistance cell against the Dominion.
Interesting. I don't recall that but will check on it...

However, the effect is not limited to rifles, phasers have been seen doing it as well.
Old December 22 2008, 11:41 PM   #7
The Wormhole
Admiral

Actually, that was season 4's Return to Grace. Kira was travelling on a Cardassian freighter commanded by Dukat, and she was explaining the various weapons and their features to Ziyal in case they got boarded by Klingons.
Old December 22 2008, 11:51 PM   #8
Plecostomus
Commodore

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
Actually, that was season 4's Return to Grace. Kira was travelling on a Cardassian freighter commanded by Dukat, and she was explaining the various weapons and their features to Ziyal in case they got boarded by Klingons.
Ah! Thanks! So I guess that means "self-aiming phasers" are canon? (cannon? BUAHAHAHAHA)

As for aiming, perhaps slight pressure with your finger on the firing button steers the emitter and you get feedback through the same button telling you when the emitter is pointed at a target... Wouldn't be hard to set up actually... it'd require a bit of user-training to master but that holds true for "normal" firearms as well.
Old December 22 2008, 11:55 PM   #9
P0sitr0nic
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to P0sitr0nic

Simple answer? Actors dont honestly care where theyre aiming as long as it looks close. If the FX guys put the beam in straight to where the actor was aiming, it would most likely MISS the other actor who is pretending to be hit.
Old December 23 2008, 12:05 AM   #10
bullethead
Fleet Captain

In TNG's "The Vengeance Factor," Riker phasers some girl and the beam goes at an extreme downward angle to hit her in the chest. However, it appears that Jonathan Frakes was aiming at her head, so the outrageous angle was because the guys in post decided that having a girl get shot in the head wasn't family friendly or something.
Old December 23 2008, 12:19 AM   #11
The Creeper
Commodore

Ah! Thanks! So I guess that means "self-aiming phasers" are canon? (cannon? BUAHAHAHAHA)
Yes, thanks f0r the clarificati0n.

As for aiming, perhaps slight pressure with your finger on the firing button steers the emitter and you get feedback through the same button telling you when the emitter is pointed at a target... Wouldn't be hard to set up actually... it'd require a bit of user-training to master but that holds true for "normal" firearms as well.
Sounds like a good idea but don't you still need to see the target to hit it..? And if you can see it then you can shoot straight at it thus eliminating any need to steer the beam.

I suppose a steerable beam could be an advantage for a moving target if the beam steers faster than swinging your arm or jerking your hand but again, has it been specifically stated phaser beams are steerable?

bullethead wrote: View Post
In TNG's "The Vengeance Factor," Riker phasers some girl and the beam goes at an extreme downward angle to hit her in the chest. However, it appears that Jonathan Frakes was aiming at her head, so the outrageous angle was because the guys in post decided that having a girl get shot in the head wasn't family friendly or something.
That is exactly the strange behavior from phasers I am talking about.
Old December 23 2008, 12:34 AM   #12
Plecostomus
Commodore

Ghost Of Christmas Future wrote: View Post
bullethead wrote: View Post
That is exactly the strange behavior from phasers I am talking about.

F/X error. Apply a healthy dose of "suspension of belief" and remember it's pretend.

Riker is actually an unsporting bastard, he shot her in the head with a phaser set to SUPER-MAXIMUM ASSBURN and the real reason he did it was because he hated her cooking. OF COURSE they are going to "edit" the historical tapes to paint the Humans in a good light.
Old December 23 2008, 12:39 AM   #13
The Badger
Fleet Captain

From what I've read the design of the early TNG 'dustbuster' phaser made it very difficult for the actors involved to correctly line it up with the target, hence the odd angles as the SFX team tried to make it look right.
There's a couple of examples at
http://www.phasers.net/2360/type2db.htm
The Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23 2008, 12:46 AM   #14
The Creeper
Commodore

The Badger wrote: View Post
From what I've read the design of the early TNG 'dustbuster' phaser made it very difficult for the actors involved to correctly line it up with the target, hence the odd angles as the SFX team tried to make it look right.
There's a couple of examples at
http://www.phasers.net/2360/type2db.htm
Great. Thank you. I'll accept this as a satisfactory explanation to my question.
Old December 23 2008, 12:53 AM   #15
The Wormhole
Admiral

Ghost Of Christmas Future wrote: View Post

Yes, thanks f0r the clarificati0n.

Y0u're welc0me.