Trek Ice Cube Maker and Shot Glasses
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

City on the Edge of Forever #3 Preview

TV Alert: Shatner TNG Documentary

Forbes Cast In Powers
By: T'Bonz on Aug 22

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Fiction

Fan Fiction Other forums talk about Trek. We make it.

Old November 4 2008, 08:57 PM   #16
Nerys Ghemor
Vice Admiral

Re: Star Trek: Sigils and Unions--Background Thread

Thank you very much!
Old December 22 2008, 06:45 AM   #17
Nerys Ghemor
Vice Admiral

OK...your first audio sample of a full Cardăsda sentence! Not much of one, but this will give you an idea of how I imagine the language sounding. Note the "š" and "rh" sounds...these are some of the more unusual things Cardăsda has to offer (at least, from an English-speaking perspective). Vowels tend to be pretty pronounceable, however, from an English standpoint.

As to this particular sample...well, I promised SLWatson in a PM that I would explain how Hirhul Mendral's name is pronounced, since the given name is not what you'd likely think of seeing it on paper.

So here you go...this is me saying, "His name is Hirhul Mendral" in Cardăsda. I hate my speaking voice, especially when trying to speak another language (real or created), so don't crank your speakers if you don't want to destroy your ears for ever.

Vešok roukou Hirhul Mendral.mp3
Old December 28 2008, 02:22 AM   #18
mirandafave
Fleet Captain

Congratulations Nerys Ghemor!

I've seen enough of your posts in other threads and forums to know you are a true Cardassian fan but this - resource - is a terriftic testament to your love and knowledge of an already intriguing species made all the more interesting by this treatment. Well done.

Plus note I did call it a resource because I am sure that others like me will refer to it whenever they think to write anything Cardassian and I do have a particular story to tell with some horrible Cardassians. But this makes me want to expand that particular story in other directions too. So thanks for the inspiration.
mirandafave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28 2008, 06:16 AM   #19
Nerys Ghemor
Vice Admiral

Thank you SO much for looking!

The language originally came about because I was pretty disgusted with some of the speculations I saw out on the Internet back in the day. Let's just say the so-called "Kardasi" language had the tendency to appear in some fanfic of a pretty unsavory type, with which I wanted no association!

So, I decided to go it alone and create my own version--Cardăsda.

As I went along, I started getting a load of cultural and other stuff that has never been expanded upon, on-screen.

For example, the rank system others developed ended up having to give way in order to fit the Cardăsda language...which is how it got to be so unlike the Federation system. That particular system is very decidedly non-canon even compared to the Pocket Books!

My goal is to give people the feel, when reading about the Cardassians in my works, that they are really seeing the people and the culture, more than just Central Command's official line. I often felt like we got glimpses of it, all the way back in "The Wounded" (just watch Daro, for instance...for having only a few lines, both the verbals and nonverbals there really hint at a lot). My aim is to follow in the footsteps of Diane Duane with her Rihannsu work, and John M. Ford with his Klinzhai work--though of course I've hardly scratched the surface of what they've accomplished, and I don't expect to.

That may complicate matters for you, if you try to use anything from this--it'll constantly grow and evolve.

If you DO choose to use material from this, however, please do let me know and give appropriate credit. I admit I'm interested to know what you're thinking of...do tell!
Old December 28 2008, 03:01 PM   #20
mirandafave
Fleet Captain

If you DO choose to use material from this, however, please do let me know and give appropriate credit. I admit I'm interested to know what you're thinking of...do tell!
Oh that's a given! Material as rich as this deserves glowing recognition.

Will get in touch when the time comes about some of the ideas. As I say this material has caused me to rethink elements to enrich it with more than as you say the standard Cardassian that we see.

My story revloves around Caitlyn Ryan's history when she was interred in a Cardassian prison-torture camp. She featured in USS ACCIPITER: Buried History and in the challenge A Question of Survival and her brutal history warrants exploring to me. So lots of bad guy Cardassians but i think there's potential to explore other Cardassians - some unwilling accomplices to the crimes committed and some prisoners themselves.

But like I say this material has all sorts of ideas percolating in my head. thanks again for the inspiration.
mirandafave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28 2008, 07:52 PM   #21
Nerys Ghemor
Vice Admiral

You're very welcome...I look forward to it, and I would love to hear more of your ideas!
Old January 2 2009, 12:08 AM   #22
Nerys Ghemor
Vice Admiral

Whew!

I just got the Star Trek Expanded Universe article on the Cardăsda language posted! Forgot what something means? Now you can go back and find out! I'll be keeping this up to date with each new section. Grammatical information might be forthcoming at some point, but you'll be seeing it in this thread first, whenever it comes.

Here ya go!
Old January 23 2009, 08:56 AM   #23
SLWatson
Captain

Send a message via AIM to SLWatson

Nerys Ghemor wrote: View Post
OK...your first audio sample of a full Cardăsda sentence! Not much of one, but this will give you an idea of how I imagine the language sounding. Note the "š" and "rh" sounds...these are some of the more unusual things Cardăsda has to offer (at least, from an English-speaking perspective). Vowels tend to be pretty pronounceable, however, from an English standpoint.

As to this particular sample...well, I promised SLWatson in a PM that I would explain how Hirhul Mendral's name is pronounced, since the given name is not what you'd likely think of seeing it on paper.

So here you go...this is me saying, "His name is Hirhul Mendral" in Cardăsda. I hate my speaking voice, especially when trying to speak another language (real or created), so don't crank your speakers if you don't want to destroy your ears for ever.

Dammit! Just when I finally get a peaceful house and working speakers, it won't let me listen to this. It says your bandwidth is exceeded. But, if you want to send it to me via my e-mail, feel free.
SLWatson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23 2009, 04:46 PM   #24
RobertScorpio
Pariah

SLWatson wrote: View Post

Dammit! Just when I finally get a peaceful house and working speakers, it won't let me listen to this. It says your bandwidth is exceeded. But, if you want to send it to me via my e-mail, feel free.
Yes...I am with SL on this one..I WANT TO HEAR IT but I cant because of the bandwith thingy...send it to me with email...would be cool to hear...

Rob
RobertScorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23 2009, 06:21 PM   #25
Nerys Ghemor
Vice Admiral

Man...all I can say is that trying to upload any sort of audio onto the Internet for free is horribly difficult!

But I'll e-mail you guys.
Old January 30 2009, 08:06 AM   #26
Nerys Ghemor
Vice Admiral

Man...all I can say is that trying to upload any sort of audio onto the Internet for free is horribly difficult!

But I'll e-mail you guys.
Hey, just wanted to check and see if the e-mail arrived intact! Robert--I used the same address that you listed for your AIM in your profile.

Also...bocot kiba'avzayn edek! I wanted to give you guys a link to the Cardăsda article I created over at the Star Trek Expanded Universe wiki. It has a complete lexicon of all words and phrases that have appeared in the works I've posted (though I still have to update it for "Exits in the Haze"), so that way if you're reading and hit a term you haven't seen in awhile or I just flat-out confuse you, you can look it up. As in the instance above.
Old February 4 2009, 07:35 AM   #27
Nerys Ghemor
Vice Admiral

OK...this is a ROUGH DRAFT of a concept I'm trying for a Sigils and Unions emblem. I decided that, given the spirit of my story--which is to break from your standard Federation-based tale, that I would take an entirely different approach to the logo design. I was kind of inspired by Ziyal's art here, and while of course her style blended Bajoran and Cardassian influences, I still took some cues off of that as to how Cardassian art might look. (Though this, again, has certain Federation influences.)

I am definitely going to have to redraw this (got some problems with the ship that I can see, plus it's woefully obvious that I didn't use a ruler)...but I finally got the Cardassian-like font looking for the most part like I want it. (Though that thing on the bottom of the vertical staff is going to have to move...I think it belongs up top.) And that's the basic idea of how I want to depict the ship.

But...here's the basic idea. Do you guys think this is TOO out-there for a Star Trek series? Or do you think that, Sigils and Unions being what it is, I can get away with it?

Old February 4 2009, 08:15 PM   #28
RobertScorpio
Pariah

Its actually pretty good. Though you might want to put the STAR TREK above the Cardassian ship and eliminate the second sigils and unions above your name..then center your name beneath the ship...

Rob
RobertScorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5 2009, 04:42 AM   #29
Nerys Ghemor
Vice Admiral

Thanks for looking! I'll keep it in mind, though to be honest I don't know if I'd want to rearrange it that way or not.
Old February 5 2009, 04:46 AM   #30
SLWatson
Captain

Send a message via AIM to SLWatson

It's an original series with a ton of world-building. Heck with it, Nerys -- you don't need to make it look more 'standard'. No more than I do my covers for AotW in any 'standard' format. ::grins:: I think it looks awesome. If you were into computer work, and illustrator, I'd strongly suggest vectoring it. But even as it is, a finalized version would look pretty neat.

And I promise, I will catch up on reading and everything else. ::laughs:: I've been... obviously busy. But for the good of ficcers, at least!
SLWatson is offline   Reply With Quote