Trek Original Series Slippers
By: T'Bonz on Nov 19

Hemsworth Is Sexiest Man Alive
By: T'Bonz on Nov 19

Trek Business Card Cases
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

February IDW Publishing Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old December 19 2008, 12:53 AM   #31
mirandafave
Fleet Captain

Re: What do you dislike about The Dark Knight?

^^ For a guy without a plan he had a lot of plans and redunancy plans^^

So does show him to be a genuis - but is he really an anarchist then - an agent of chaos? rather organised thought out chaos if so. Dunno but on reviewings this bugs me for some reason. But still actually love it.
mirandafave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19 2008, 01:03 AM   #32
Trekker4747
Trekker4747

iguana_tonante wrote: View Post
I actually liked that. It gives the sense that the Joker is not just a weirdo in facepaint, he's a genius weirdo in facepaint, with a mind both brilliant and twisted.
Yeah, but come on. He finds TWO empty warehouses (granted, probably not all that hard) and FILLS them with TONS of explosives and he also fills TWO ferrys with TONS of explosives?

I mean, how did he manage to smuggle barrel fulls of explosives onto two city ferrys?! And where and how did he buy all of these explosives? Certainly buying all that stuff would've perked up someone's ears considering a person can't buy a slightly more than reasonable amount of fertilizer without getting the FBI or DHS knocking on their door and The Joker buys barrels and barrels of explosives?!

It's also interesting no one in the gun-salute team noticed the "new guys" or the guy with the horrible facial scars.

And the narc who was going on the news station to reveal a big secret. How did that conversation go?

"I have a big secret to tell you guys."
"What is it?"
"I won't say until I'm on the air."
"... Sounds good! Get this guy to makeup!"

And, I don't know, maybe I'm just an asshole, but...

"So, this guy is going to blow us up unless we decide to blow up the boat full of criminals first? Hmmm, gee what SHOULD we do?!"

The city's anger towards Batman not turning himself in also seemed like mis-placed rage. What if The Joker's demands were that all of the police pull out their guns and shoot themselves in the head? (Thus eliminating the entire police force.) Would people then demand police do that to prevent more terror?
Old December 19 2008, 02:25 AM   #33
Lapis Exilis
Rear Admiral

mirandafave wrote: View Post
^^ For a guy without a plan he had a lot of plans and redunancy plans^^

So does show him to be a genuis - but is he really an anarchist then - an agent of chaos? rather organised thought out chaos if so. Dunno but on reviewings this bugs me for some reason. But still actually love it.
I think it's deliberate. The Joker is a liar. He's manipulating Harvey with the "no plans" speech, just as he's manipulating Batman with the "no rules" speech. He basically just says whatever he needs to in order to fuck with someone. His elaborate plans are also good evidence that he's not actually insane.

Scrooge4747 said:
I mean, how did he manage to smuggle barrel fulls of explosives onto two city ferrys?! And where and how did he buy all of these explosives? Certainly buying all that stuff would've perked up someone's ears considering a person can't buy a slightly more than reasonable amount of fertilizer without getting the FBI or DHS knocking on their door and The Joker buys barrels and barrels of explosives?!
Joker both says, and it is shown, that it is not barrels of explosives, but barrels of gasoline wired to a detenator that probably does little more than start a spark. Conceivably he could simply steal a tanker truck and have enough gas for his various schemes.

The utter lack of security anywhere in Gotham could be a nit, unless you assume that he simply paid everyone off to get access wherever he wanted it. The movie does begin with him stealing $68 million after all.
Old December 19 2008, 02:31 AM   #34
MattJC
Fleet Captain

Count me in among those who was annoyed that they killed off Two-Face.
MattJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19 2008, 02:40 AM   #35
exodus
Fleet Admiral

^^There is no security in Gotham.

Dent & Gordon have a nearly every scene together about how when Harvey was in Internal Affiairs he would uncover all the dirty cops in the city. Haravey accuses Gordon of not helping in which Gordon replies:"I can't afford to be an idealist, I have to work with what I'm given." It's also why Two-Face blames Gordon for why he became the way he looks now atthe end of the film because Gothams cops are corrupt and on the mobs payroll.

Plus, in "Beings" they explain Wayne Industries built Gotham City, so I would guess Bruce Wayne can enter any vacant buliding in the city and not be questioned to intensely. Notice how Gordon didn't even consider giving him a ticket for running the red light and causing an accident. The Wayne name carries weight. That's why he can walk into the building without a mask. Even if questioned he's good at playing aloof.

If Wayne Interprises helped build Gotham, then his own money would be put into any repair damage the Tumbler would cause. Putting it down as a city donation would steer away any suspicion.

Last edited by exodus; December 19 2008 at 02:56 AM.
exodus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19 2008, 02:56 AM   #36
nx1701g
Admiral

^ Aloof Bruce Wayne - perfectly shown in the traffic 'accident'.
Old December 19 2008, 02:56 AM   #37
ria 75
Fleet Captain

Location: The other side of the frog pond ----------------- Avatar by Wicca who Wonta

That it's already begun to fade in my memory.
And that Heath Ledger will be remembered for that.
I loved the Batman flying over the buildings scene, though.
Old December 19 2008, 03:01 AM   #38
exodus
Fleet Admiral

nx1701g wrote: View Post
Notice how Gordon doesn't even think to give him a ticket for it.

He's Bruce freakin' Wayne, his family is the biggest real estate developers in the city. It's what Kate Holmes reminded him in "Begins", that his family name had to be upheld in Gotham because it means something too the city.
Old December 19 2008, 03:11 AM   #39
Trekker4747
Trekker4747

exodus wrote: View Post
nx1701g wrote: View Post
Notice how Gordon doesn't even think to give him a ticket for it.

He's Bruce freakin' Wayne, his family is the biggest real estate developers in the city. It's what Kate Holmes reminded him in "Begins", that his family name had to be upheld in Gotham because it means something too the city.
That and, well, he may well have saved a man's life.

I like the aloof/rich playboy idiot Bruce Wayne in the movies so far. It's the "character" he's playing as part of his "disguise." He's also a "young" Bruce Wayne. It's possible that if the scope of the movies would/ever does reach Wayne until he's a much older and more established business man he'd be more of the tamed billionare he's supposed to be.

But right now? He's the rich, handsome, billionare bachelor. He's allowed to be aloof and self-centered.
Old December 19 2008, 03:14 AM   #40
Brian
Vice Admiral

The bat voice.

The fall from a skyscraper that two people just walk away from.

That Bruce laid down the bat-pod to avoid pedestrian Joker, when he could have blown him up from down the block. Stupidest bat-move ever.

That ten seconds later Gordon didn't put a bullet in Joker's brain pan.

That Gotham's finest didn't see the gut-bomb coming from 10 miles away like I did, the moment the guy first complained about his pain, not to mention putting some run of the mill thugs in Joker's presumably high-security cell with him.

The sonar.
Old December 19 2008, 03:18 AM   #41
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

T'Baio wrote: View Post
I forgot about Joker's omnipotence.

Guy is fucking God the way he gets shit done.
I noticed his weakness is that he keeps talking and bringing up the "Ya wanna know how I got these scars?" which Batman took advantage of and used his gauntlet blades to cut his face.

Anyone else notice Joker fell for a long time near the end and when Batman catches him, Joker only looks like he fell for about two seconds?

captcalhoun wrote: View Post
not according to Eckhart. Aaron says he's dead.
and the script has Two face as being dead
Samurai8472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19 2008, 03:19 AM   #42
Trekker4747
Trekker4747

Hermey wrote: View Post
The fall from a skyscraper that two people just walk away from.
As I said above, it's possible that Bat's cape (which can go rigid on command) was able to act as a sort of "drag chute."

That Bruce laid down the bat-pod to avoid pedestrian Joker, when he could have blown him up from down the block. Stupidest bat-move ever.
Batman doesn't kill. Unless... he needs to save a child from a bulet in his head.... or by not saving someone.

That ten seconds later Gordon didn't put a bullet in Joker's brain pan.
He's a cop. Putting a bullet in the head of someone who isn't an immediate threat isn't part of his job discription.
Old December 19 2008, 03:25 AM   #43
MeanJoePhaser
Admiral

Scrooge4747 wrote: View Post
Batman doesn't kill. Unless... he needs to save a child from a bulet in his head.... or by not saving someone.
Or accidently in a high speed chase. Again, I don't see the Joker's garbage truck driver coming out of that wreck alive. No.
MeanJoePhaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19 2008, 03:51 AM   #44
Ward Fowler
Commodore

There aren't any naked boobies.
Old December 19 2008, 04:22 AM   #45
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile

I think it could have been shorter. It did feel a tad bit long at times.