RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,565
Posts: 5,402,296
Members: 24,865
Currently online: 656
Newest member: shyrim

TrekToday headlines

October-November 2014 Trek Conventions And Appearances
By: T'Bonz on Sep 30

Cho Selfie TV Alert
By: T'Bonz on Sep 30

TPTB To Shatner: Shhh!
By: T'Bonz on Sep 30

Mystery Mini Vinyl Figure Display Box
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

The Red Shirt Diaries Episode Five
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

Shatner In Trek 3? Well Maybe
By: T'Bonz on Sep 28

Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Meyer: Revitalizing Star Trek
By: T'Bonz on Sep 26

Trek Costumes To Be Auctioned
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Hulu Snaps up Abrams-Produced Drama
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Tech

Trek Tech Pass me the quantum flux regulator, will you?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old December 12 2008, 05:30 PM   #16
GodThingFormerly
A Different Kind of Asshole
 
Location: An "American" in Friedrichshafen, Deutschland
Re: Andrew Probert's ST:TMP Dry Dock to be Orbited by 2020!

^ Thank you for the response, Andrew. If I may ask, was an actual "roof" designed for ST:TMP's dry dock miniature or did Richard Taylor and/or Douglas Trumbull ask you to leave the internal framework exposed so it could be more easily suspended from the ceiling of the motion-control stage?

TGT
GodThingFormerly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16 2008, 04:00 PM   #17
Probert
Starfleet Design
 
Probert's Avatar
 
Location: Earth, N. America, 21st Century
Re: Andrew Probert's ST:TMP Dry Dock to be Orbited by 2020!

The God Thing wrote: View Post
If I may ask, was an actual "roof" designed for ST:TMP's dry dock miniature or did Richard Taylor ask you to leave the internal framework exposed so it could be more easily suspended from the ceiling of the motion-control stage?

TGT
I drew it,... they built it. The people at 'Magicam' decided how it would be best supportable, considering how fragile the components were in the real (film) world of a one-g environment. As I recall, the top was left open to cool the lighting components and, yes, help suspend it. Besides, no high camera angles were envisioned so no top was necessary.

Andrew-
Probert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16 2008, 04:15 PM   #18
Tallguy
Fleet Captain
 
Tallguy's Avatar
 
Location: Beyond the Farthest Star
Re: Andrew Probert's ST:TMP Dry Dock to be Orbited by 2020!

Probert wrote: View Post
I drew it,... they built it. The people at 'Magicam' decided how it would be best supportable, considering how fragile the components were in the real (film) world of a one-g environment. As I recall, the top was left open to cool the lighting components and, yes, help suspend it. Besides, no high camera angles were envisioned so no top was necessary.

Andrew-
Thanks as always, Andrew. Is there any place where these drawings (or pics of the top of the model) have been published?

The other question I always had about the drydock is other than supporting a lot of lights and looking wonderously cool, what does it do?
__________________
-- Bill "Tallguy" Thomas
"All I ask is a tall ship..."
Tallguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17 2008, 01:49 AM   #19
GodThingFormerly
A Different Kind of Asshole
 
Location: An "American" in Friedrichshafen, Deutschland
Re: Andrew Probert's ST:TMP Dry Dock to be Orbited by 2020!

Probert wrote: View Post
I drew it,... they built it.
Ah! I would love to see an illustration or photograph of the dry dock's intended upper surface on ProbertDesigns.com if and when you find the time. May I ask if you recall whether Magicam also built miniatures of the additional "clip-on" habitat modules featured in this sketch?



The people at 'Magicam' decided how it would be best supportable, considering how fragile the components were in the real (film) world of a one-g environment.
Regarding your original triangular-truss dry dock concept (the miniature of which you surmised would have collapsed under its own weight on the mo-con stage), is this the speculative real-world fabrication mechanism you had in mind when designing it?





How ironic that now, when CGI technology can render delicate, filigreed microgravity structures just as easily as it can a lead pipe, we get overbuilt docks that look far more like something to be found in a Tulsa car wrecking yard than LEO/MEO.

TGT
GodThingFormerly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17 2008, 05:26 AM   #20
Herkimer Jitty
Rear Admiral
 
Herkimer Jitty's Avatar
 
Location: Dayglow, New California Republic
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Herkimer Jitty
Re: Andrew Probert's ST:TMP Dry Dock to be Orbited by 2020!

The God Thing wrote: View Post
How ironic that now, when CGI technology can render delicate, filigreed microgravity structures just as easily as it can a lead pipe, we get overbuilt docks that look far more like something to be found in a Tulsa car wrecking yard than LEO/MEO.

TGT
It's so it can withstand the full force of that movie's stupidity.
__________________
STAR TREK: 1965-1965½, 1966-1969, Jan. 21-23 1972, 1979-2001, 2003-2005, 2009-?
Herkimer Jitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17 2008, 07:48 AM   #21
Psion
Commodore
 
Psion's Avatar
 
Location: Lat: 40.1630936 Lon: -75.1183777
View Psion's Twitter Profile
Re: Andrew Probert's ST:TMP Dry Dock to be Orbited by 2020!

The God Thing wrote: View Post

Regarding your original triangular-truss dry dock concept (the miniature of which you surmised would have collapsed under its own weight on the mo-con stage), is this the speculative real-world fabrication mechanism you had in mind when designing it?





How ironic that now, when CGI technology can render delicate, filigreed microgravity structures just as easily as it can a lead pipe, we get overbuilt docks that look far more like something to be found in a Tulsa car wrecking yard than LEO/MEO.

TGT
GREAT SCOTT!

What are you thinking, TGT?! Are you honestly expecting us to believe anyone was seriously considering manufacturing things in orbit? Space is dangerous and construction workers might get hurt!

They should build those fantastically long girder structures on the ground where it's safe and lllllllaunch 'em into orbit! It'd be cooler that way too!

[wipes spittle from mouth and sits down]
__________________
Twinkies are back. I knew they couldn't stay away from me for long.
Psion is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
probert, sonicsux, tmp

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:10 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.