Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Art

Fan Art Post your Trek fan art here, including hobby models and collectibles.

Old December 6 2008, 07:26 PM   #16
Santaman
Rear Admiral

Re: If You Could Re-Imagine the Constitution-Class Refit...

I wouldn't mess with the design, at the moment I only want someone to get the original model and have Olson repaint it so it will be back to its 1979 appearance.
Old December 6 2008, 09:43 PM   #17
RyanKCR
Vice Admiral

Santaman wrote: View Post
I wouldn't mess with the design, at the moment I only want someone to get the original model and have Olson repaint it so it will be back to its 1979 appearance.
Who won it? Also are they going to put it on display? I've always wanted to see it in person.
RyanKCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6 2008, 10:08 PM   #18
largo
Fleet Captain

i'd make it a perfectly smooth, featureless sphere. so nyah.
Old December 6 2008, 10:23 PM   #19
davejames
Vice Admiral

CuttingEdge100 wrote: View Post
Externally

-I'd want to de-clutter the design, in other words, remove all unnecessary junk. The photon-torpedo box has a bunch of gadgety things on them for example, the warp-nacelles on the front have small box shaped thingies, the warp-engine's amplification crystal, and the lighting boxes (which extend out from the nav-dome) are unnecessary (The early TMP design didn't have them until Doug Trumbull got his hands on it).
(edit)
So basically.... you'd turn it into the TOS Enterprise.
davejames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 7 2008, 01:31 AM   #20
CuttingEdge100
Commodore

davejames,

No. The design would retain it's basic shape. Saucer would be the larger size used on the TMP and of pretty much the same shape, the bridge would the be pretty much the same shape, it's warp nacelles would be the new rectangular design, the torpedo tubes would be in the neck.

The surface detail of the design would be closer to the TOS design yes, and the nacelle frontcap would be a smooth structure like in Phase II -- but it would not have cylindrical nacelles.
CuttingEdge100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7 2008, 08:24 AM   #21
Johnnymuffintop
Commander

Send a message via AIM to Johnnymuffintop Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Johnnymuffintop Send a message via Yahoo to Johnnymuffintop

CuttingEdge100 wrote: View Post
davejames,

No. The design would retain it's basic shape. Saucer would be the larger size used on the TMP and of pretty much the same shape, the bridge would the be pretty much the same shape, it's warp nacelles would be the new rectangular design, the torpedo tubes would be in the neck.

The surface detail of the design would be closer to the TOS design yes, and the nacelle frontcap would be a smooth structure like in Phase II -- but it would not have cylindrical nacelles.
Maybe a photoshopped image could help clear up what you have in mind.
Johnnymuffintop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7 2008, 11:24 AM   #22
CuttingEdge100
Commodore

If only I actually knew how to effectively use photoshop. I do have it (got it as a gift) -- but I have minimal knowledge in how to properly use it.
Old December 7 2008, 02:39 PM   #23
Johnnymuffintop
Commander

Send a message via AIM to Johnnymuffintop Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Johnnymuffintop Send a message via Yahoo to Johnnymuffintop

Then maybe a quick sketch? Graph paper can a scanner can do wonders.

Or hell, even MSPaint can show an idea.
Johnnymuffintop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7 2008, 09:20 PM   #24
CuttingEdge100
Commodore

Why not just imagine a constitution class refit with the surface detail of the TOS enterprise basically...
Old December 8 2008, 03:18 PM   #25
therealfoxbat
Commander

Come to think of it, I've already seen a truly AWESOME re-imagining of the Constitution Refit. It was done a while back by Icy_Penguigo...

Check it out here...

http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=56367

I really DO have a squirrelly wrath, you know...
therealfoxbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10 2008, 06:00 AM   #26
CDR6
Lieutenant Commander

My take on the "Refit"...

Exterior…

The original “Big E” was designed as a series of circles and cylinders; I would want to go with that theme as much as possible. So as the refit goes I would leave the exterior as is, with the exception of the engine nacelles and their support pylons. Over all beam and Length and Draft as per TOS/TMP. No uber ships (No bloody C, D, or E as Scotty would say.)

One of the great losses from TOS is the turbine effect of the engine nose caps. So I would choose the cylindrical engines, same length, with an over all design along the lines of those on NX01. The engine support pylons would be similar to originals but, with a slightly larger chord and small fairings at the root and engine.

Color to be either gull gray or left in bare metal finish... (6 of 1, half dozen of another)

Shuttles…
Runabouts from DS9, the rest are scrap, except for Work Bees…maybe

Interior…

There are many good possibilities already designed from other ST films and TV shows, the bridge for example would be from ST V, with the officers ward/briefing room based on the design from the Undiscovered Country.

In the engine room I would just up date the TOS design (detail it out some) as I love the EMM portion of the set as well as the functional over all look and depth it adds. (All of the cute 50’s plastic walls and engine core tubes are definitely gone.)

The railroad track photorp launchers would be replaced with something that more closely resembles an artillery piece. (This is the 23rd century)

The Sickbay complex would be closely designed like those from Undiscovered Country.

Transporter room from ST: NG as are most of the halls, turbo lifts and crew quarters… (No multi man bunk rooms.) two crewmen to a room…only. Senior Officers/Department Chiefs and VIPs get singles. (No families!!!)

Uniforms...

Put them all in the incinerator and back to the TOS stile…the only exception being the neat “Field Jackets” of TMP. Space suits suffer the same fate, keeping only the suits from WOK.

Weapons et all…

No hand vacuums, hokey push pin communicators, wrist watches, etc. TOS communicators, Phaser I’s, and Undiscovered Country stile Phaser IIs, Phaser Rifles from ST: Voyager.

Note on crew duties: One man one job… the helmsman is the helmsman not the communications officer/weapons officer/navigator/helmsman/add nausium... NO, I repeat, NO beaming around/to and from the ship’s bridge or any other place on the ship for that matter...LOL

Regards
Chuck

Last edited by CDR6; December 10 2008 at 06:15 AM.
CDR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10 2008, 06:21 AM   #27
Captain Robert April
Vice Admiral

Location: In selfless service to fandom, on the road to becoming a Star Trek trivia god...

Let's see if we can clean that up a bit...

CDR6 wrote: View Post

Exterior…

The original “Big E” was designed as a series of circles and cylinders; I would want to go with that theme as much as possible. So as the refit goes I would leave the exterior as is, with the exception of the engine nacelles and their support pylons. Over all beam and Length and Draft as per TOS/TMP. No uber ships (No bloody C, D, or E as Scotty would say

One of the great losses from TOS is the turbine effect of the engine nose caps. So I would choose the cylindrical engines, same length, with an over all design along the lines of those on NX01. The engine support pylons would be similar to originals but, with a slightly larger chord and small fairings at the root and engine.

Color to be either gull gray or left in bare metal finish... (6 of 1, half dozen of another)

Shuttles…
Problem: a Danube class runabout is rather large. The cockpit section alone is the size of a Class F shuttlecraft (like the Galileo). I doubt you'd be able to easily fit a runabout in the hangar bay.

Interior…

There are many good possibilities already designed from other ST films and TV shows, the bridge for example would be from ST V, with the officers ward/briefing room based on the design from the Undiscovered Country.

In the engine room I would just up date the TOS design (detail it out some) as I love the EMM portion of the set as well as the functional over all look and depth it adds. (All of the cute 50’s plastic walls and engine core tubes are definitely gone.)

The railroad track photorp launchers would be replaced with something that more closely resembles an artillery piece. (This is the 23rd century)

The Sickbay complex would be closely designed like those from Undiscovered Country.

Transporter room from ST: NG as are most of the halls, turbo lifts and crew quarters… (No multi man bunk rooms.) two crewmen to a room…only. Senior Officers/Department Chiefs and VIPs get singles. (No families!!!)

Uniforms...

Put them all in the incinerator and back to the TOS stile…the only exception being the neat “Field Jackets” of TMP. Space suits suffer the same fate, keeping only the suits from WOK.

Weapons et all…

No hand vacuums, hokey push pin communicators, wrist watches, etc. TOS communicators, Phaser I’s, and Undiscovered Country stile Phaser IIs, Phaser Rifles from ST: Voyager.

Note on crew duties: One man one job… the helmsman is the helmsman not the communications officer/weapons officer/navigator/helmsman/add nausium... NO, I repeat, NO beaming around/to and from the ship’s bridge or any other place on the ship for that matter...LOL
And what happens when the helmsman gets hurt? Or the communications officer goes balmy and shorts out the system? Or half the crew is down with the Rigellian flu? Knowing more than one job is a simple fact of reality on a starship on a deep space mission, where you can't just send back to base for a replacement.
Captain Robert April is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10 2008, 07:25 AM   #28
CDR6
Lieutenant Commander

Captain Robert April wrote: View Post
Let's see if we can clean that up a bit...

CDR6 wrote: View Post

Exterior…

The original “Big E” was designed as a series of circles and cylinders; I would want to go with that theme as much as possible. So as the refit goes I would leave the exterior as is, with the exception of the engine nacelles and their support pylons. Over all beam and Length and Draft as per TOS/TMP. No uber ships (No bloody C, D, or E as Scotty would say

Shuttles…
Problem: a Danube class runabout is rather large. The cockpit section alone is the size of a Class F shuttlecraft (like the Galileo). I doubt you'd be able to easily fit a runabout in the hangar bay.

Interior…

Uniforms...

Weapons et all…

And what happens when the helmsman gets hurt? Or the communications officer goes balmy and shorts out the system? Or half the crew is down with the Rigellian flu? Knowing more than one job is a simple fact of reality on a starship on a deep space mission, where you can't just send back to base for a replacement.
I was of course refering to the over all design/stile of the runabout. The actual thing would have to be lets see "scaled" for the ship. Because other than that, they would have to back her up and run her in at about 1/4 impulse to fit her in the shuttle bay...

One of the biggest problems I have with the later Star Treks is that there are only about 6 people seem that do everything on a starship. (I scratch my head) I agree, about cross trainning being a necessity, but what are the rest of the 400 + crewmembers doing? Originally, there were whole departments required to run a starship... Egad...are all the rest "red shirts?"

Regards,
Chuck

Last edited by CDR6; December 10 2008 at 07:39 AM.
CDR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10 2008, 03:07 PM   #29
Blip
Fleet Captain

Exterior: I'd do nothing except to remove the hokey centreline divider that runs down the front of the Bussard Collector grills, and get rid of the lit Thruster ports - the modellers made them look like more spotlights instead of like thrusters.

The overall dimensions, hull scheme, etc are all perfect as they are.

Interior: I'd pretend the TMP-TSFS version of the bridge never existed. I never liked that gigantic jello-mould set, especially in all it's sickly beige-grey incarnations. TUC sets were a great nod to the TOS bridge etc, although I'd lose the digital clocks, and move the turbolifts back to the rear of the set as they were originally.

For engineering I'd probably keep something similar to the TUC set, but enlarged towards the aft of the ship with only one PTC heading down towards the pylons, reminiscent of the TWOK set. I'd probably install some kind of "radiation room" opposite the Main Engineer's main workspace too. Sickbay would also be TUC-ified, devolving the TNG-style set. I'd keep a version of the TMP diagnostic sensor bed though - that was neat.

Uniforms:
I always preferred the movie era uniforms; except that everybody suddenly became a redshirt! So out with the maroon, replaced with a dark-grey/charcoal. I figure there's quite enough colour in the undershirts. I'd probably tone back the flared bell-bottoms a bit too - sometimes they looked a little excessive. Jackets and enviro suits were fine as they were (but again, replacing the maroon with a less-obtrusive grey).

Equipment:
STVI/STV phasers, communicators, tricorders, etc - with wristband communicators for shipboard use rather than having to run over to slap the nearest companel on the wall!
For those determined to contort yourselves into knots so as to include every minor production flub as gospel, and shoehorn it into "cannnonnnnn": STOP. I don't have all day to waste on here; I quite like enjoying real life thankyouverymuch.
Blip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11 2008, 08:13 PM   #30
ncc-1017-e
Captain

I love TMP and the refit! The only thing I think I would change is the captains chair and the other bride chairs! I would use the captains chair and the other bridge chairs from Star trek V!