Coto Drama Sold To Fox
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Braga Inks Deal
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Remastered Original Series Re-release
By: T'Bonz on Sep 11

UK Trek Ships Calendar Debuts
By: T'Bonz on Sep 10

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: Could "The Dark Knight" Win Best Picture?
Yes 25 51.02%
No 24 48.98%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Old December 8 2008, 06:54 AM   #31
Orintho
Vice Admiral

Re: The Dark Knight: Oscar Bound?

A slim shot, but one none the less. Plus consider motives for the Academy. Picking a popular film like TDK would be a good way to increase public interest.
Old December 8 2008, 07:07 AM   #32
Harvey
Admiral

FleetLord wrote: View Post
The big question is what other films will contend with TDK? Last year No Country For Old Men won and alot of people attributed that to the fact that there was no really stand out film of 2007.
Sure there was. It was called No Country for Old Men.

Any year that produces Michael Clayton, There Will be Blood, and No Country For Old Men... and nominates them... that's a good year for the Academy.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8 2008, 08:07 AM   #33
Thrall
Commodore

The Dark Knight was a good movie but it was not a perfect film. The dialogue was still mediocre just like the first one. Christian Bale's Batman-voice annoyed alot of people(I didn't think it was that bad). Harvey Dent's demise was unnecisarry. The Hong Kong subplot was unnecisarry fat that could have been trimmed. The action ranged from "enjoyable but disconjointed" to "confusing and difficult to follow". Because I still have no idea what was going on in that construction site scene. The pacing is too rush-rush and doesn't give you time to relax and take a breather so by the end you're just exhausted and worn out rather then elated. So watching it becomes a great undertaking. It's not a movie you can just pop in and watch like the first one was. And yes I'm a purist who hated the make-up thing.

But mostly, it's just not a very fun movie. And that's not really a bad thing, neccissarily. Because the film is a powerful film due to it's unwavering maturity, complexity, and realism. I just think that in his strive for credibility for the genre, Nolan sacrificed the number one rule of pop-corn movies and superherodom: He forgot to make it fun. This is Batman, not King Lear. He runs around in tights beating up cartoony criminals. This is not something that requires a lot of intellectual insight here. I'm not saying I want Adam West or anything. I'm just saying he could have toned the realism down a couple notches and still made a great film, but not nearly as overbearingly mature and complex. Because, to be honest, I had more fun in 5 minutes of Iron Man then pretty much all three hours of the non-stop intellectual overbearingness of The Dark Knight.

So if it doesn't get an Oscar nom, then I won't be surprised because there might be members of The Academy who agree with me.
Old December 8 2008, 11:25 PM   #34
Caligula
Vice Admiral

Sure. The Dark Knight COULD win Best Picture (and on that basis I voted "yes").... but it won't.
Caligula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8 2008, 11:35 PM   #35
Lapis Exilis
Rear Admiral

Hirogen Alpha wrote: View Post
Were any actors billed before the title on The Dark Knight? Since the film doesn't have a traditional opening credits sequence, how is this determined (or does it say The Dark Knight right off the bat at the beginning of the end credits--I can't remember)?
"Before the title" is actually a little bit of an outdated way to describe it because so many films don't have traditional title sequences any more. Billing has to do with actor's contracts which determine the order they are listed in and pay rate. Very occasionally more than one actor or actress may have "top billing" (for instance both James Dean and Rock Hudson were nominated for Best Actor for the movie Giant), but usually it's simply whichever male and female are billed first who qualify for the Best Actor/ Best Actress nomination and everyone else on the bill would go to Best Supporting categories. Ledger was listed behind both Bale and Caine, so there's no way he can qualify for Best Actor for TDK.
Old December 8 2008, 11:36 PM   #36
N-121973
Commander

When are the Oscar nominations announced? I heard somewhere that the Golden Globe nominations are announced later this week and they're supposed to be a good indicator for the Oscars.
N-121973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8 2008, 11:42 PM   #37
IJD GAF
Rear Admiral

Not 'til January I think.
Old December 8 2008, 11:55 PM   #38
Aragorn
Admiral

Best Actor and Best Supporting actor nominations are based on what you're submitted as.

George Clooney as Best Supporting Actor for Syriana? It was an ensemble with Clooney as 1A, Damon as 1B and Wright as 2, but it was mostly Clooney's movie. Nicole Kidman wasn't on the screen that much in The Hours for her Best Actress. Hell, Jamie Foxx was a Supporting Actor nominee for Collateral, and he was the driving character and in it for like 99% of the run time. Ethan Hawke getting a Best Supporting nomination for Training Day? Judi Dench won Best Supporting for five minutes of screen time in Shakespeare in Love.

The actors get submitted based on what they think they're more likely to win.
Aragorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 9 2008, 12:07 AM   #39
MicahBrack
Lieutenant Commander

Siwilliams wrote: View Post
I voted yes, but don't think it will
Same here. Yes, it could win best picture. But it is highly unlikely that it will.
MicahBrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9 2008, 01:09 AM   #40
Lapis Exilis
Rear Admiral

Aragorn wrote: View Post
Best Actor and Best Supporting actor nominations are based on what you're submitted as.

George Clooney as Best Supporting Actor for Syriana? It was an ensemble with Clooney as 1A, Damon as 1B and Wright as 2, but it was mostly Clooney's movie. Nicole Kidman wasn't on the screen that much in The Hours for her Best Actress. Hell, Jamie Foxx was a Supporting Actor nominee for Collateral, and he was the driving character and in it for like 99% of the run time. Ethan Hawke getting a Best Supporting nomination for Training Day? Judi Dench won Best Supporting for five minutes of screen time in Shakespeare in Love.

The actors get submitted based on what they think they're more likely to win.
Looks like we're both wrong.

From 80th Acadmey Awards Rules
  1. A performance by an actor or actress in any role shall be eligible for nomination either for the leading role or supporting role categories. The determination as to whether a role is a leading or supporting role shall be made individually by members of the branch at the time of balloting.
  2. The leading role and supporting role categories will be tabulated simultaneously. If any performance should receive votes in both categories, the achievement shall only be placed on the ballot in that category in which, during the tabulation process, it first receives the required number of votes to be nominated. In the event that the performance receives the numbers of votes required to be nominated in both categories simultaneously, the achievement shall only be placed on the ballot in that category in which it receives the greater percentage of the total votes.
Huh. So I guess Ledger could be nominated for Best Actor if enough Academy members nominate him for that award as opposed to Best Supporting. Assuming enough people nominate him to get him into either category.

Shows what I know...
Old December 9 2008, 02:52 AM   #41
MeanJoePhaser
Admiral

Eric Roberts deserves a best supporting actor nod for his part...in CYCLOPS, the made-for-cable movie.
MeanJoePhaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9 2008, 03:26 AM   #42
Aragorn
Admiral

Lapis Exilis wrote: View Post
Looks like we're both wrong.
Oh well. Still doesn't change the fact that Jamie Foxx in Collateral and Ethan Hawke in Training Day are not supporting roles.
Aragorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 9 2008, 05:59 AM   #43
FalTorPan
Vice Admiral

If The Dark Knight wins Best Picture, then Hollywood movies as a whole must suck worse than even I thought.
Old December 9 2008, 06:00 AM   #44
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to JacksonArcher

FalTorPan wrote: View Post
If The Dark Knight wins Best Picture, then Hollywood movies as a whole must suck worse than even I thought.
Yeah, they do mostly suck. Hooray for The Dark Knight for being better than most of the dreck out there.