TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: Could "The Dark Knight" Win Best Picture?
Yes 25 51.02%
No 24 48.98%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Old December 7 2008, 08:01 AM   #1
nx1701g
Admiral

The Dark Knight: Oscar Bound?

Found this on Yahoo:

YAHOO:
As the box-office bankroll climbed for " The Dark Knight " last summer, the Hollywood consensus was that a posthumous nomination for Heath Ledger was the Batman blockbuster's best Academy Awards hope.

Now that critics have gotten a peek at all the last-minute Oscar contenders, "The Dark Knight" has emerged as a solid contender for best picture and best director for Christopher Nolan. [MORE]
So do you think that "The Dark Knight" has a shot?
Old December 7 2008, 08:16 AM   #2
Siwilliams
Fleet Captain

Re: The Dark Knight: Oscar Bound?

I voted yes, but don't think it will
Siwilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7 2008, 08:24 AM   #3
Broccoli
Vice Admiral

I voted no, because I don't think it will.
Old December 7 2008, 08:28 AM   #4
Frontier
Vice Admiral

View Frontier's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Frontier

Does it have a chance?

Yes.

I hope everyone votes about COULD it, and not WILL it. This is a "could" question. Anything is possible.

Is this year the best chance any film like TDK will ever have? Period? Yes.

The Oscar telecast has been in continued decline in viewership for years and years. The result of so many "unknown" films being nominated and winning. Obscure films that people cannot connect with. The result is that the Academy has stated it plans to consider more note worthy films this year as a result. It's not to say such a film will win. So much as that they're not going to just dismiss such films so easily.

I'd be thrilled if TDK won Best Picture, Nolan best director, and most important - the must have - Ledger best supporting. If Ledger doesn't win, it's a criminal act of ignorant stupidity. His performance was one of the best of all time, of any film. He truly made the character live. You don't see Heath Ledger in that film one bit. He is the Joker. His life or death is irrelevant. It was the performance of a lifetime, and if he where alive I think the buzz would be 10 times as great because he'd be around to discuss it and feed the frenzy.

If Ledger does not win, I will never again watch the Oscars for the rest of my life. And I'm a big movie buff. When the nominations come out, almost every film nominated goes on my NetFlix queue, so I can see the so-called "best" of the best.

Frontier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7 2008, 08:33 AM   #5
Siwilliams
Fleet Captain

Frontier wrote: View Post

I hope everyone votes about COULD it, and not WILL it. This is a "could" question. Anything is possible.
I meant it could....but don't think it will
Siwilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7 2008, 09:55 AM   #6
Stone_Cold_Sisko
Vice Admiral

To be nominated? yes. to win? no.
Stone_Cold_Sisko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7 2008, 11:19 AM   #7
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to JacksonArcher

Well, this is a conundrum for me.

If The Dark Knight gets nominated for Best Picture, I am forced to sell my testicles. That's just if it gets nominated. So while The Dark Knight is my favorite film of all time, and my favorite film of 2008, I kind of like my testicles.

So it'd be a really bittersweet victory even if it got nominated. Because like I said, I really like my testicles.
Old December 7 2008, 01:16 PM   #8
Evil_Kirkneivel
Lieutenant Commander

It depends; what's the competition going to be like this year?

There have been many high-quality, 'testicle-selling-quality' movies nominated for Academy Awards that have lost because they happened to be running against a powerhouse film that same year.

The whole concept of voting for only one Best Picture each year is in itself flawed, especially when some years there are really no movies worthy of the title, and other years there may be 2 or more.

Last edited by Evil_Kirkneivel; December 7 2008 at 01:17 PM. Reason: left out a word
Evil_Kirkneivel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7 2008, 04:14 PM   #9
T'Baio
Admiral

JacksonArcher wrote: View Post
Because like I said, I really like my testicles.
I really like your testicles, too.

*LIP SMACK*
On Facebook
T'Baio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7 2008, 04:29 PM   #10
Sagart
Fleet Captain

In time, when all the hysteria over TDK has died down, I hope Heath Ledger's performance in Brokeback Mountain will be hailed as his best. There is so much for an actor to do with a character like the Joker, so much opportunity to pull all the acting stops out. His performance as Ennis Del Mar was breathtaking and heartbreaking and it was all so subtle.

TDK was a good movie but not the year's best in my opinion. It'll probably get nominated, as will Ledger, who will probably win Best Supporting Actor but I can't see the Academy going for a comic book movie as Best Film. Then again, they did give 11 Oscars to Titanic so what do I know!
Old December 7 2008, 04:32 PM   #11
Bad Bishop
Rear Admiral

JacksonArcher wrote: View Post
Well, this is a conundrum for me.

If The Dark Knight gets nominated for Best Picture, I am forced to sell my testicles. That's just if it gets nominated. So while The Dark Knight is my favorite film of all time, and my favorite film of 2008, I kind of like my testicles.

So it'd be a really bittersweet victory even if it got nominated. Because like I said, I really like my testicles.
Gambling is a disease, and now I fear for future generations of JacksonArchers.

Christopher Nolan deserves much more than an Scream Award for The Dark Knight. WB will mount an Oscar campaign in the trades for Nolan and Ledger. But knowing the Academy's snobbery, I wouldn't want to get my hopes up.
Old December 7 2008, 04:37 PM   #12
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral

So do I.

I would absolutely love for Christopher Nolan to nab the Best Director Oscar. I might weep precious little man tears.

But something tells me it might go to David Fincher for The Curious Case of Benjamin Button and something tells me that film might sweep the Oscars this year and unsurp Nolan's victory.

Imagine this: What if Darren Aronsofky gets nominated for The Wrestler (as well as a Best Picture nomination) and Fincher and Nolan get nominated? Three of my favorite directors of all time...what forever will I do?

My nuts might just explode.
Old December 7 2008, 04:41 PM   #13
T'Baio
Admiral

If Fincher won a Best Directing Oscar, my nuts would explode.

I haven't seen The Curious Case of Benjamin Button yet, it's my Christmas Theater Experience (TM) this year, but I'll assume it's great...since pretty much everything Fincher has ever done is great.

And while I won't say he deserves it more than anyone else for individual films, 'cause like I said, I haven't seen his contender this year, in the pantheon of "career Oscars," he deserves it far more than Nolan or pretty much anyone else does at this point...except maybe Mann or DePalma.
On Facebook
T'Baio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7 2008, 04:46 PM   #14
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral

T'Baio wrote: View Post

I haven't seen The Curious Case of Benjamin Button yet, it's my Christmas Theater Experience (TM) this year, but I'll assume it's great...since pretty much everything Fincher has ever done is great.

And while I won't say he deserves it more than anyone else for individual films, 'cause like I said, I haven't seen his contender this year, in the pantheon of "career Oscars," he deserves it far more than Nolan or pretty much anyone else does at this point...except maybe Mann or DePalma.
I dunno. I mean Fincher has Se7en and Fight Club, two of the greatest films ever in my opinion, but Christopher Nolan has Memento, Insomnia, The Prestige, Batman Begins and The Dark Knight...five of my favorite films of all time, so I'm a bit biased.

I definitely think Fincher is more than deserving for a Best Director Oscar (I'll also agree Michael Mann is overdo, much like Martin Scorsese was) but I'm a huge fan of Nolan so naturally I'm going to lean in his direction (ha, no pun intended).

I forgot to mention Zodiac! What a truly terrific film. Roger Ebert calls it his best, but I'm still stuck between choosing Se7en and Fight Club on most days (with a slight edge going to Se7en most of the time).
Old December 7 2008, 04:47 PM   #15
Bad Bishop
Rear Admiral

T'Baio wrote: View Post

Brian De Palma is a fine director who needs a comeback film.