RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 141,549
Posts: 5,513,534
Members: 25,144
Currently online: 583
Newest member: A.E.Andres

TrekToday headlines

Two New Starships Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Dec 26

Captain Kirk’s Boldest Missions
By: T'Bonz on Dec 25

Trek Paper Clips
By: T'Bonz on Dec 24

Sargent Passes
By: T'Bonz on Dec 23

QMx Trek Insignia Badges
By: T'Bonz on Dec 23

And The New Director Of Star Trek 3 Is…
By: T'Bonz on Dec 23

TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old December 4 2008, 03:01 AM   #16
Rowan Sjet
Commodore
 
Rowan Sjet's Avatar
 
Location: Away!
Re: Aventine the new flagship?

I didn't intend this thread to turn into a debate concerning the proper use of the term flagship. I meant it more as a thread to ask the question if the technologies that the Vesta-class posessed would make the rest of the fleet obsolete and/or the rest of the fleet would soon be in drydocks and fitted with the new technologies when they were deemed to be stable and operational.
Well why didn't you say so?

Yes, I can imagine that within the next few years, any and all ships that can be outfitted with the slipstream drive will have it installed, and the rest moved to small support roles or retired from service.
__________________
And the sign said, "Long haired freaky people need not apply..."
Rowan Sjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4 2008, 05:29 AM   #17
Julio Angel Ortiz
Fleet Captain
 
Julio Angel Ortiz's Avatar
 
Location: Pennsylvania, USA
Re: Aventine the new flagship?

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
JoeZhang wrote: View Post
The D scored triple points because it saved the universe.
"After saving every planet in the known universe a minimum of seventeen times, I have decided to retire."


"Dalek bumps."
__________________
Blog | Star Trek: Titan Guide
Julio Angel Ortiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4 2008, 11:25 AM   #18
Timo
Admiral
 
Re: Aventine the new flagship?

I would assume that it's in tribute to the fact that without the United Earth Ship Enterprise NX-01, neither the Coalition of Planets nor the United Federation of Planets would have been established
Does Trek-lit really have it that all the Enterprises are flagships?

I mean, we don't know about NX-01 one way or another onscreen, as regards UE Starfleet, and she seems to be retired before there's a UFP Starfleet. Kirk's ships never seemed to carry that nomer, and we saw too little of the -B and -C to tell whether the lack of such mention was evidence of absence or just absence of evidence. Only the -D and -E have been established as ships of flagship status outside lit.

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4 2008, 11:42 AM   #19
Sci
Admiral
 
Sci's Avatar
 
Location: "Don't blame me--I voted for Jaresh-Inyo!"
Re: Aventine the new flagship?

Timo wrote: View Post
I would assume that it's in tribute to the fact that without the United Earth Ship Enterprise NX-01, neither the Coalition of Planets nor the United Federation of Planets would have been established
Does Trek-lit really have it that all the Enterprises are flagships?

I mean, we don't know about NX-01 one way or another onscreen, as regards UE Starfleet, and she seems to be retired before there's a UFP Starfleet. Kirk's ships never seemed to carry that nomer, and we saw too little of the -B and -C to tell whether the lack of such mention was evidence of absence or just absence of evidence. Only the -D and -E have been established as ships of flagship status outside lit.

Timo Saloniemi
Trek Lit has never established any ships other than the D and E as Federation flagships. That previous Federation starships Enterprise have been flagships is my interpretation.
__________________
"Every line of serious work that I have written since 1936 has been written, directly or indirectly, against totalitarianism and for democratic Socialism, as I understand it." - George Orwell, 1946
Sci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4 2008, 12:13 PM   #20
trekkerguy
Commodore
 
trekkerguy's Avatar
 
Location: Boise, ID
View trekkerguy's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to trekkerguy
Re: Aventine the new flagship?

Sci wrote: View Post
Timo wrote: View Post
I would assume that it's in tribute to the fact that without the United Earth Ship Enterprise NX-01, neither the Coalition of Planets nor the United Federation of Planets would have been established
Does Trek-lit really have it that all the Enterprises are flagships?

I mean, we don't know about NX-01 one way or another onscreen, as regards UE Starfleet, and she seems to be retired before there's a UFP Starfleet. Kirk's ships never seemed to carry that nomer, and we saw too little of the -B and -C to tell whether the lack of such mention was evidence of absence or just absence of evidence. Only the -D and -E have been established as ships of flagship status outside lit.

Timo Saloniemi
Trek Lit has never established any ships other than the D and E as Federation flagships. That previous Federation starships Enterprise have been flagships is my interpretation.
I'll second that.
__________________
"I kept dreaming of a world I thought I'd never see, and then one day... I got in." - Kevin Flynn
trekkerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4 2008, 07:25 PM   #21
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral
 
Hartzilla2007's Avatar
 
Location: Star Trekkin Across the universe.
Re: Aventine the new flagship?

trekkerguy wrote: View Post
Sci wrote: View Post
Timo wrote: View Post

Does Trek-lit really have it that all the Enterprises are flagships?

I mean, we don't know about NX-01 one way or another onscreen, as regards UE Starfleet, and she seems to be retired before there's a UFP Starfleet. Kirk's ships never seemed to carry that nomer, and we saw too little of the -B and -C to tell whether the lack of such mention was evidence of absence or just absence of evidence. Only the -D and -E have been established as ships of flagship status outside lit.

Timo Saloniemi
Trek Lit has never established any ships other than the D and E as Federation flagships. That previous Federation starships Enterprise have been flagships is my interpretation.
I'll second that.
Um The Enterprsie NCC-1701 was refered to as the Federation Flagship in part one of the first book of the Badlands Duology.
Hartzilla2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5 2008, 01:19 AM   #22
ProwlAlpha
Fleet Captain
 
ProwlAlpha's Avatar
 
Location: Florrum
Re: Aventine the new flagship?

Also, in the novelization of Relics, the Enterprise was referred as the Federation Flagship.
__________________
"As my sweet mother always said, 'son, if one hostage is good, two are better, and three, well, that's just good business!'"
ProwlAlpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5 2008, 02:16 PM   #23
Timo
Admiral
 
Re: Aventine the new flagship?

So that'd leave only the -A, -B and -C as undefined in lit, right?

Or are there books to suggest that those were flagships at some point, too?

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5 2008, 02:25 PM   #24
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral
 
JoeZhang's Avatar
 
Re: Aventine the new flagship?

In the sonic shower, she thought about the challenges facing John. As captain of the Federation flagship, one of the most powerful vessels in the fleet
From Lost Era: Serpent amongst the ruins

"The Great Captain Rachel Garrett. Commander of the illustrious Enterprise, the flagship of Starfleet."
from Lost Era: Well of Souls
JoeZhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5 2008, 02:58 PM   #25
Timo
Admiral
 
Re: Aventine the new flagship?

So now we're down to -A, right? That is, this wasn't the ship described either in the "Relics" novelization or in Badlands?

We can argue minutiae after that: at which point during her career would each ship have held this flagship status?

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5 2008, 03:18 PM   #26
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral
 
JoeZhang's Avatar
 
Re: Aventine the new flagship?

Timo wrote: View Post
So now we're down to -A, right? That is, this wasn't the ship described either in the "Relics" novelization or in Badlands?

We can argue minutiae after that: at which point during her career would each ship have held this flagship status?

Timo Saloniemi
Do you want to make things complex first? :-)

Kirk noted that the Vulcan hid her own disappointment well, as she did her disapproval that Starfleet's flagship had been relegated to providing a civilian with taxi service. That's not how Captain Sulu had viewed Kirk's request for a favor, but Kirk understood how others might see it.
From Federation.

JoeZhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5 2008, 03:36 PM   #27
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral
 
JoeZhang's Avatar
 
Re: Aventine the new flagship?

There is no reference in any TOS novel to the Enterprise-A being a flagship, there are multiple references to flagships belonging to various admirals but that's it.
JoeZhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5 2008, 05:07 PM   #28
Clawhammer
Commander
 
Clawhammer's Avatar
 
Location: The Netherlands
View Clawhammer's Twitter Profile
Re: Aventine the new flagship?

I think, even though the Aventine is one of the largest and one of the most advanced ships of the fleet, it does not really have a long history like the Enterprise has, that should count a bit.
Clawhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6 2008, 02:42 AM   #29
Herbert
Captain
 
Herbert's Avatar
 
Re: Aventine the new flagship?

Christopher wrote: View Post
Regardless of how you define it, I don't think the Aventine would be the "flagship." It's more of an experimental ship, a test bed for new technologies. The "flagship" of the fleet might get the best, most advanced new toys, but not until after the Aventine has taken them for a test drive and made sure they won't blow up.
That answers my question. So we shouldn't expect the Enterprise, Titan, or Voyager to be ordered to a shipyard anytime soon in the novel series to be refit with quantum slipstream drive?
Herbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6 2008, 02:50 AM   #30
Christopher
Writer
 
Christopher's Avatar
 
Re: Aventine the new flagship?

Herbert wrote: View Post
That answers my question. So we shouldn't expect the Enterprise, Titan, or Voyager to be ordered to a shipyard anytime soon in the novel series to be refit with quantum slipstream drive?
Well, Titan is going back out to the frontier, so it won't be near any shipyards. As for the others, I couldn't say.
__________________
Christopher L. Bennett Homepage -- Site update 11/16/14 including annotations for "The Caress of a Butterfly's Wing" and overview for DTI: The Collectors

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
aventine

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 07:54 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.