Klingon Bloodwine To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Trek Actors In War Of The Worlds Fundraiser
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Star Trek: The Next Generation Gag Reel Tease
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Shatner In Haven
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Tech

Trek Tech Pass me the quantum flux regulator, will you?

Old December 3 2008, 10:07 PM   #61
Forbin
Admiral

Re: Up sizing the movie Enterprise

Yup! Look how much fun we had with the Yamato and the Musashi! WHHEEEE-BOOM!

(Boom, boom-boom, boom. Boom. Glub.)
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4 2008, 06:21 AM   #62
CuttingEdge100
Commodore

Well, the shuttle bay being smaller makes sense. But the shuttle bay is probably like 4 decks high as it's about twice the rim thickness from what I remember.

A shuttle can fit in there...
CuttingEdge100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4 2008, 02:42 PM   #63
Forbin
Admiral

The hangar deck model used in TOS was a forced-perspective miniature made intentionally oversized at the fore wall. I'm sure it was also egaggerated a bit in general size to make the ship look bigger and more impressive to TV viewers. And that they only had one little shuttlecraft model to stick in that cavern helped make it look so huge.
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4 2008, 02:57 PM   #64
wonderstoat
Comrade

Westwords2020, you seem unnaturally obsessed with size. If you don't think it's big enough, you're probably right: It isn't.
wonderstoat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 4 2008, 03:49 PM   #65
Cid Highwind
Fleet Captain

wonderstoat wrote: View Post
Westwords2020, you seem unnaturally obsessed with size. If you don't think it's big enough, you're probably right: It isn't.
Hah, that's what she said!

...Uhm...
Old December 4 2008, 04:13 PM   #66
westwords2020
Commander

Only in the sense that I see the TOS Enterprise as too small. Doubling dimensions keeps the proportions and allows for future ships to still be bigger even though the upscaled Ent is about 1900 feet long. Ent D isn't so much longer as it is wider and longer in the saucer section. Also, on the series, we saw a ship with very high rooms and corridors which might help and windows were only in certain places which might allow them to be high enough for the new scale and this is visible inside and not outside to an external observer who should see little differencne in proportions; I hope.
westwords2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4 2008, 04:21 PM   #67
wonderstoat
Comrade

um ... how do I put this?? My single entendre seemingly wasn't single enough ...
Don't worry about it ...
wonderstoat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 4 2008, 08:07 PM   #68
Cary L. Brown
Rear Admiral

westwords2020 wrote: View Post
Only in the sense that I see the TOS Enterprise as too small. Doubling dimensions keeps the proportions and allows for future ships to still be bigger even though the upscaled Ent is about 1900 feet long. Ent D isn't so much longer as it is wider and longer in the saucer section. Also, on the series, we saw a ship with very high rooms and corridors which might help and windows were only in certain places which might allow them to be high enough for the new scale and this is visible inside and not outside to an external observer who should see little differencne in proportions; I hope.
You keep saying it's "too small." Yet you haven't, as of today, given any RATIONALE behind that.

You think it's "too small." So convince us. Prove to us that if they were building a ship to do the job the TOS Enterprise was doing that it would need to be some specific size, and that the size it needs to be is significantly larger than the one we've been told for 40+ years.

For the record, I'm one of those who does think that the ship should be larger than the on-screen evidence (one screen-cap) and the unofficial (yet intended) original design intent.

I'm in the 1080' camp, you see. The reason for that is that, having tried to fit everything in, I came to the conclusion that the ship needed to be larger... specifically, about 1100' in length. This allowed for all the sets to work, for the bridge (conceptually) to work (albeit with a few dimensional tweaks as well), the hangar to work, the engineering set to work... everything... and to allow for relatively thick deck and wall thicknesses (critical for mechanical strength, as well as to fit with the stuff we've seen indicating wall thicknesses and so forth)

I don't believe that the 947' number is inviolable. But I do believe that you have to have a REASON... a logical, well-thought-through, arguable position.

So far, you have failed to provide anything of the sort. You're only... ONLY... talking about "well, I think it ought to be bigger 'cuz bigger is kewl" it seems.

That's NONSENSE. Plain and simple. You make it as big as it needs to be, and not one inch longer, not one ounce heavier. You don't make things bigger "just because we can." Especially if the "we can" argument is based upon SFX work, not even upon in-universe arguments.

You want to be taken seriously in your "proposal?" Then SUPPORT IT WITH AN ARGUMENT.

Why does the ship need to be the size you want it to be?
Cary L. Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4 2008, 09:43 PM   #69
Vance
Vice Admiral

The classic Enterprise is the size of a frickin' Nimitz-Class Aircraft Carrier with less than half the crew, a tenth of the secondary vessels, and its main engine assembly completely seperate from the rest of the ship. Even with all that, the ship is shown as being 'crowded' while in operation.

I'm looking over Janes' Fighting Ships right now, and seeing tiny subs with 200 crew that are literally out of contact with the world for months at a time while on patrols.

So, seriously, how is the ship too small?
Vance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4 2008, 10:28 PM   #70
ancient
Vice Admiral

Well, if you discount the nacelles, which take up a sizable portion of the ship, it's nowhere near that big.
Old December 4 2008, 10:45 PM   #71
Vance
Vice Admiral

ancient wrote: View Post
Well, if you discount the nacelles, which take up a sizable portion of the ship, it's nowhere near that big.
Nope, still is (or very very close to it). The Enterprise is considerably DEEPER, which makes up the extra mass. It's a pretty impressive-sized ship, really, which makes me wonder why a crew of 400 couldn't stay on her. Other than set discrepancies (which are Hollywoodisms anyway), what, exactly, is the size issue for such a crew?
Old December 5 2008, 01:13 AM   #72
ancient
Vice Admiral

It's only deeper because of that long neck, which has no actual livable space in it. Some space is made up by the saucer width, but not enough.
Old December 5 2008, 01:45 AM   #73
Vance
Vice Admiral

It's only deeper because of that long neck, which has no actual livable space in it. Some space is made up by the saucer width, but not enough.
Even going with that, keep in mind that much of the hull of the Nimitz (below decks) is the hangar and maintenance area. And, of course, much of the aft of the ship is the nuclear reactor plants.

So, really, if the remainder of the ship can house, somewhat comfortably, 1200+ crewmen, I'm thinking the 400 of the Enterprise should be fine. As I said, the only issue would be a handful of the set-pieces, which chalk up to Hollywoodisms anyway.
Old December 5 2008, 02:06 AM   #74
Shaw
Commodore

It's only deeper because of that long neck, which has no actual livable space in it.
Funny, I thought there was lots of extra space in the neck and I'm one of those 947' guys. Come to think of it... I really wasn't having any of the space issues most everyone said there should be, and I still have lots of open space to fill.
Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5 2008, 02:50 AM   #75
MarianLH
Fleet Captain

westwords2020 wrote: View Post
Only in the sense that I see the TOS Enterprise as too small.

If you want to imagine it being larger, go right ahead; it's your imagination. But it works perfectly well at the official length. Even with the Hollywood-sized quarters, room has been found for all 430 crew and the frickin' bowling alley.

Marian

Half of being smart is knowing what you're dumb at.
--Jim McCarthy.
MarianLH is offline   Reply With Quote