Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Fiction

Fan Fiction Other forums talk about Trek. We make it.

Old December 2 2008, 08:09 AM   #136
Nerys Ghemor
Vice Admiral

Re: Star Trek: Sigils and Unions--The Thirteenth Order

I'd say all of that is very true. I am very proud of my country even though it's never really been popular for most of my lifetime...I have a way of thinking in that regard that fits much more with the Depression/World War II generation than my own. To me, my country may have problems, but my country itself is not the problem--unless we as a people give up our resolve.

Sometimes I try to deny the part about tradition and routine because it's associated with being an uptight jerk (and some people will undoubtedly go on and think that anyway no matter what I say or do, since there's a pretty bad prejudice against those traits in any form in more liberal circles), but truth be told, yes...I'd say that's accurate.
Old December 2 2008, 04:36 PM   #137
TheLoneRedshirt
Commodore

Gripping stuff! I continue to enjoy the story and your characters.
Old December 2 2008, 06:09 PM   #138
SLWatson
Captain

Send a message via AIM to SLWatson

Nerys Ghemor wrote: View Post
I'd say all of that is very true. I am very proud of my country even though it's never really been popular for most of my lifetime...I have a way of thinking in that regard that fits much more with the Depression/World War II generation than my own. To me, my country may have problems, but my country itself is not the problem--unless we as a people give up our resolve.

Sometimes I try to deny the part about tradition and routine because it's associated with being an uptight jerk (and some people will undoubtedly go on and think that anyway no matter what I say or do, since there's a pretty bad prejudice against those traits in any form in more liberal circles), but truth be told, yes...I'd say that's accurate.
There's always a fine line to walk these days, especially since folks tend to take an 'all or nothing' view on either side of the political fence. I've wavered throughout my life about my own politics before settling where I am... I am a moderate independent who refuses to be boxed into one philosophy, especially when I only agree with parts of it. I have friends who are varying degrees of conservative, and friends who are varying degrees of liberal, and I even have a friend who was an old hippy, back when I was a serious conservative. Now, older and wiser, I'm considerably more liberal and understand a lot of what she said when I was younger.

Your conservatism shows, but no one should have a right to judge you for it. It takes all kinds of people across the spectrum to make up a diverse nation, and there are good things about the conservative philosophy that I carry with me to this day -- namely, keeping government out of peoples' lives. So, if people knock you for it, to heck with 'em. We're all entitled to our beliefs, and they don't always have to agree for us to be good to each other.
SLWatson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2 2008, 08:00 PM   #139
Nerys Ghemor
Vice Admiral

TheLoneRedshirt wrote: View Post
Gripping stuff! I continue to enjoy the story and your characters.
Thanks for reading!

To SLWatson--more coming to you shortly via PM.
Old December 2 2008, 09:38 PM   #140
Mistral
Vice Admiral

Excellent, tense scene. Your characters are solidifying into individuals(despite the large number of them) and their interplay is(damn, TLR used the word I wanted!) well, it holds a reader in place and focused.

Mistral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2 2008, 09:43 PM   #141
CeJay
Commodore

Starfleet and Cardassians seems to work relatievely well in the beginning stages of this operation. Folani, I'm getting the impression, is still very much a wild card and might cause problems later on.

It's going to be baptism by fire for this unlikely alliance. I'm looking forward to find out how well they do when the chips are down.

Great stuff.

Now with a complete United Trek story archive.
CeJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2 2008, 09:54 PM   #142
Nerys Ghemor
Vice Admiral

CeJay wrote: View Post
Starfleet and Cardassians seems to work relatievely well in the beginning stages of this operation. Folani, I'm getting the impression, is still very much a wild card and might cause problems later on.

It's going to be baptism by fire for this unlikely alliance. I'm looking forward to find out how well they do when the chips are down.

Great stuff.
Keep your eye on Speros, as well. I don't think he's any happier than Folani with this. That little spat could've been a lot worse if Daro hadn't cut it off.

Not only is he coming into this with an attitude...but that little side conversation didn't help. I think the other Cardassians realized that species with stronger hearing wouldn't necessarily realize what they were doing, but from Speros' perspective, Folani tried to deliberately cut him and the other Cardassians out of the pattern, right to their faces.

Mistral wrote: View Post
Excellent, tense scene. Your characters are solidifying into individuals(despite the large number of them) and their interplay is(damn, TLR used the word I wanted!) well, it holds a reader in place and focused.
Thanks! I'm very glad you feel the characters stand apart from each other in personality. That's something I've definitely been trying to give a lot of attention to.
Old December 3 2008, 03:58 AM   #143
DavidFalkayn
Commodore

Very, very well done. And yes, you do a very good job in juggling the large cast of characters you have--these are individuals--not cardboard cutouts.
Old December 3 2008, 06:35 AM   #144
TimmyWl
Commodore

I do admire the nod to Captain Picard in the beginning of the story. It provided some sign of where the story comes from and namely the character of Macet. The bit at the end does portray the operation as advanced somewhat in their approach. It's really nice to see these Cardassians level-headed and complex; yet they are willing to achieve their goals of freedom with an unorthodox approach. I hope that they achieve it.

I'm curious about the other inside person they planted - namely the false Vorta. Is she still alive or not?
TimmyWl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3 2008, 07:19 AM   #145
Nerys Ghemor
Vice Admiral

DavidFalkayn wrote: View Post
Very, very well done. And yes, you do a very good job in juggling the large cast of characters you have--these are individuals--not cardboard cutouts.
Thanks! The people are the most fun for me--I love getting inside their heads, finding out what makes them tick, and watching what happens when you put them all in a room together.

Example: I wasn't initially looking for the Speros-Berat animosity, but then when I threw them together, it just...kinda felt right to have the two not get along, and not just on Speros' end. Speros being a jackass isn't surprising. But if you ever read Betrayal, you'll see an impulsiveness to the way Lois Tilton wrote Berat. While in the novel that trait was pushed by circumstances to a huge extreme, I figured that had to speak to something in his nature under normal conditions. So I can just envision those two having been in an argument (probably more than one) before the one Macet prevented them from having--probably because Berat couldn't keep from calling Speros on it when he got obnoxious.

TimmyWl wrote: View Post
I do admire the nod to Captain Picard in the beginning of the story. It provided some sign of where the story comes from and namely the character of Macet. The bit at the end does portray the operation as advanced somewhat in their approach. It's really nice to see these Cardassians level-headed and complex; yet they are willing to achieve their goals of freedom with an unorthodox approach. I hope that they achieve it.
Glad the stuff I wrote about Picard felt right to you. I expected that to tick off some people, but while I think Picard's had some good traits, Macet does kinda let me vent at the flaws some.

The descriptions of Cardassian battle plans that I've seen have always indicated a great degree of planning and a lot of cunning: "a plan within a plan within a plan leading to a trap." They're a disciplined people, too--not unemotional like Vulcans, but they can get a serious, singleminded dedication. As if it weren't difficult enough already to write, this has really given me a lot to live up to--I not only have to write a battle plan, but give it those Cardassian fingerprints! (And the way I envision Berat and the workings of his mind makes it even tougher.)

I'm curious about the other inside person they planted - namely the false Vorta. Is she still alive or not?
I believe she is. I won't be able to revisit that for a few chapters, but yes.
Old December 16 2008, 05:08 AM   #146
Nerys Ghemor
Vice Admiral

All right, guys...getting closer to things going crazy.

So now you'll learn something (maybe a few of you) always wanted to know about Cardassians.

And for the other thing, I leave you with one word...RETRO. Let's get ready to GRUMBLE! (Trust me, you'll get it when you read that part. I will be interested, though, to find out how far you had to get into that section to figure out exactly what Rebek's been talking about. Or if you even figured it out in the previous section... )

---------

2375—The Dominion War—Eleven days after the attack on Rondac III

Cardassian Rasgălor of Lessek

The largest of the foothills were at their back now; following another day of joint training, the Thirteenth Order had set out with their supplies on their backs just like Macet remembered from his earliest days as a new ragoç under the boot of the Vigilance Corps. The gul of the Trager would have preferred more time to integrate the Starfleet troops into their unit, but time was quickly running out—the Romac, which had been under repair at the orbital shipyard, was set to undock at midday and spend the next four hours running through a postoperative checklist for spaceworthiness. This would only provide the other three Gălor-class vessels an excuse to stay in the area for so much longer. This left a four-hour window for the Thirteenth Order to strike.

It had been a two-day march to their current position, a network of kelbonite-fistrium caves just northeast of the planetside shipyard’s shield perimeter. So far the Starfleet soldiers, while they betrayed their doubts more openly than most Cardassian soldiers would ever dare—as though we here have a right to comment, Macet wryly thought—had performed as well as could be expected for beings who had been away from the battlefield for anywhere from six days to six months ago. A fair part of their enthusiasm came from the prospect of leaving behind the compound they had known for all but the last few days as their prison. They hungered to strike at the Dominion, certainly…but more and more he observed them looking to Makis Spirodopoulos for more than just encouragement and discipline as they had in their internment days—they looked to him for a goal, a direction. And so far, they seemed receptive to that direction. As long as Spirodopoulos stayed true…the Thirteenth Order had hope.

Macet balefully eyed the device dangling from the crook of Rebek’s elbow. He tried and failed to suppress a groan. “You really meant it.”

The petite gul knelt next to Macet on the dusty grey Lessekda soil flashed a toothy smile and nodded. Good, Macet thought even as he questioned her sanity in bringing that thing into the field. If she can smile, then maybe she has made the right choice in joining us after all. Maybe this is what she needs.

“I desperately hoped I had the wrong image in my head when you said ‘hunter array,’ but I can see my fears were justified. Please tell me you don’t intend to foist that misbegotten brainchild of the Science Ministry upon us all. It never even performed as advertised, not to mention the other reason we all hated it.”

Rebek laughed—not much of a laugh, but recognizable nonetheless. “I’ve been tinkering with it on and off for the past couple of years, with some advice from Berat, and I think I’ve solved all of the biggest problems. Granted, I still haven’t been able to make it interface with more complex systems like the ship’s computer—”

“Which is what the wretched piece of skrăgh was supposed to do in the first place,” Macet cut in.

“And that is still my primary objective—if I can ever get the proper code and hardware into place. Maybe someday after all this, I’ll see if Iymender will look at it…considering the kind of code he’s been writing lately, I have a feeling he’d have some ideas. Anyway, I’ve gotten the hunter array to talk to a number of stand-alone devices: my wristcomm, scanner…and the targeting scope of my rifle. I can fire a shot straight behind my back and see exactly where it’s heading, and depending on my settings, still see everything going on in front of me…a claim the Dominion and even the Federation—no offense,” she added with a quick glance at Spirodopoulos, “certainly can’t make of their targeting sensors.”

“At least theirs look a little less…stupid,” Macet mumbled under his breath, unable to find a better word to describe the awkward ugliness of the hunter array. “You try boarding an ali—er…Federation starship wearing one of those. You should’ve seen the looks on their faces.” Central Command policy at that time had stated that the hunter array was to be worn during all boarding procedures, ostensibly as a means of detecting any threats aboard foreign vessels, but also—had the thing actually worked correctly—to maintain a connection with their ship’s computer and even remotely operate it if necessary.

Macet had satisfied the letter of the regulation by ordering his glinns to wear the hunter array for the initial transport, but let them ditch the hardly-functional devices in their quarters as soon as they had the chance. Central Command—not to mention the Obsidian Order—would surely have been displeased to say the least at the idea of leaving such ‘cutting-edge’ technology unguarded, but, Macet had rationalized, it wasn’t like the hunter array actually did anything right that he would need to worry about. As expected, the connection with the Trager’s computer had been tenuous at best…utterly scrambled after transport.

A few months after that, the Science Ministry tacitly admitted its mistake and cut funding for any further development, and Central Command rescinded its ridiculous regulation. A couple months too late, of course. Macet summed up the entire thing with one sentence: “It was embarrassing.”

“Well, I’m not about to pass up something that works. Somebody should get a picture of this so I can send it next time that she-hound on the Yazar tries to tell me I’m too obsessed with my looks.”

Macet deadpanned, “You mean Gul Ocett?”

“I mean exactly what I said,” Rebek replied, her flutelike voice lethally sweet.

The rivalry between the two was the stuff of legend, and went all the way back to their basic training. Tayben Berat had been present for one exchange he later described to Macet: Gul Ocett had publicly derided Rebek’s ‘vanity’ and then claimed she could stuff the ‘pocket-sized gul’ into a vompăt ball. Rebek had retorted that someone ought to check Ocett’s hormone levels, and defended her creative interpretation of Cardassian Guard hairstyle regulations on grounds that, I may be a military girl, but at least I remember that I am a girl!

Ocett’s body had tensed like she was about to make good on her threat. Tayben tried to intercede—even though he was less than a month out of physical therapy at the time—and Ocett had simply fixed him with an aristocratic stare and said, Just you try it. Rebek had met Ocett’s gaze with equal coolness and declared, Thank you for that lovely insight. Then she’d turned her back and left the room, head held high. Berat had followed not far behind, but equally dignified in tactical retreat.

Macet, of course, had been none too impressed by Ocett after that report. He succinctly commented, “No comment.”

Rebek rolled her eyes, then slid the hunter array over her head, where she had unpinned her braids to accommodate the ungainly device. The crosspiece sat right on her cheekbones, the vertical band covering the krilătbre-yezul, the ‘hunter-eye’ from which the array derived its name—the inverted-teardrop-shaped prominence on every Cardassian therapsid’s forehead from which other peoples derived some of their favorite racial slurs.

For non-sentient creatures, the krilătbre-yezul made a fine sensor of bioelectric fields. This gave the vole in particular an impressive ability to detect pursuers, not to mention a nasty affinity for high-voltage conduits. Their ability to thrive in the midst of electrical hotspots where no cardasdanoid could follow without shutting down entire systems—most often vital systems with the greatest power flow—was what made the little vermin so blasted difficult to exterminate once they got into an artificial structure…especially ships and stations. The Cardassians’ ancestors had possessed other functioning nodes, but now those were so in appearance only, so in people this sixth sense was much attenuated: one generally had to draw within a meter to sense another’s bioelectric field. But with training, it was possible to use the input of the krilătbre-yezul to sense forcefields, holographic projections, and other forms of energy manipulation.

The hunter array, in addition to its vaunted heads-up display capabilities, intensified input to the vestigial sense much as an amplification device might for someone hard of hearing, granting a properly-trained Cardassian that much heightened awareness of his or her environment. While most soldiers, Macet included, had found that feature frustratingly difficult to interpret to the point of detracting from their situational awareness, he wasn’t surprised that Rebek, with her sniper background, had cracked the code.

Rebek reached up to her right cheekbone and twisted a small knob on the hunter array. Macet caught brief, iridescent flickers radiating between the crosspieces like light off a soap bubble: orange, yellow, green, cyan in turn before the field settled into invisibility. Once attuned to its wearer, the hunter array provided a heads-up display comprised of light so close to the eyes and of such low intensity that after initialization it was almost impossible for anyone else to detect. Next Rebek switched on the scanner that hung on her belt, followed by an adjustment to her wristcomm.

Finally, she hefted her sniper-issue disruptor rifle and tweaked a few buttons and knobs on various panels, the last one right on the business end. The sturdy rifle whined to life. Crouched down, rifle aimed ahead, Rebek nodded. “Ready.” Her eyes were raptor-intense, all trace of levity evaporated. All the vengeance of Septimus III bottled up into one tiny vessel, Macet thought, at once impressed and wary. We’ll need that fire—as long as we can keep it contained.

Glinn Daro laid a hand on Spirodopoulos’ arm and the terhăn nodded. It was time for them to move to the center of the formation. Gul Speros waited there already, tasked to lead the main assault after the first teams were through. “Wilkes!” Spirodopoulos called as he turned back. “You’re up!”

Though the young, orange-haired woman working her way forward had quickly been outranked by newer arrivals, the orange-haired Ivy Wilkes had gained a sort of mascot status for being the first to lead the Starfleet contingent. Now she volunteered as the trigger for Iymender’s viruses. And if his sabotage failed, she would be the first to fall.

So now I send not only my own people, but the children of another state to dangle their fatelines before the grasp of death. My one inheritance from my mother’s line, the one she gave me despite herself, he thought, acknowledging the DNA that under most circumstances they wished more than anything to expunge. We are meddlers, all of us—helpless to behold the universe as it is without a vision of what it could be, overlaid on the world as clear as the hunter array’s images are for Zejil. And we cannot help but see the lines from purpose to means to end like the tendrils of a vine and to feel the sense that they are there for the grasping if we would but reach.

Macet, for his part, remained near the front, but the point position belonged to Wilkes and Rebek.

The gul of the Romac pointed ahead. “Follow me—the sensor perimeter isn’t far.”
Old December 16 2008, 08:41 AM   #147
TimmyWl
Commodore

Good stuff!

I do like the story going into action.
TimmyWl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16 2008, 08:46 AM   #148
Gibraltar
Rear Admiral

The layers of subtle communication going on between the players in this strategy session are fantastic. We have a group of very distinct individuals, all playing along with Macet's creation, and all for their own reasons. Needless to say, without the Dominion threat, this group would be at each other's throats in an instant. This tenuous alliance desperately needs a victory if there's any hope of it's continuing.

I wish them well, for no battle plan ever survives contact with the enemy. Bring on the 'battle friction' and the 'fog of war!' How this disparate group copes with adversity will be highly enjoyable to watch!
Old December 16 2008, 03:56 PM   #149
Nerys Ghemor
Vice Admiral

TimmyWl wrote: View Post
Good stuff!

I do like the story going into action.
Thanks!

Gibraltar wrote: View Post
The layers of subtle communication going on between the players in this strategy session are fantastic. We have a group of very distinct individuals, all playing along with Macet's creation, and all for their own reasons. Needless to say, without the Dominion threat, this group would be at each other's throats in an instant. This tenuous alliance desperately needs a victory if there's any hope of it's continuing.

I wish them well, for no battle plan ever survives contact with the enemy. Bring on the 'battle friction' and the 'fog of war!' How this disparate group copes with adversity will be highly enjoyable to watch!
Thanks! And yes...it's absolutely critical and all of them know it.

The tragic part is that without these events, they probably would be firing on each other as part of the Dominion War--and while some of them would be doing so out of hate, some wouldn't. Gul Berat, for instance...it's kind of sad to think that he'd probably end up having to destroy people that you now see him getting along well with, out of self-defense, and that those people would try to do the same thing to him.

I certainly hope I'll be able to pull off the battle. I think the space combat sections are coming together OK--the ground combat, however...man, that's a struggle to write. I hope you'll forgive me if I have to slow down yet again on posting in order to pull it off.
Old December 16 2008, 06:50 PM   #150
DavidFalkayn
Commodore

You've done an excellent job in making these aliens understandable while at the same time being...alien. I'm looking forward to the fight--you're right, those sequences can be hard to get right and are often a struggle to get through, but it's worth it in the end.