TV Alert: Shatner TNG Documentary
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Forbes Cast In Powers
By: T'Bonz on Aug 22

Dorn To Voice Firefly Character

No ALS Ice Bucket For Saldana

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Fiction

Fan Fiction Other forums talk about Trek. We make it.

Old November 30 2008, 06:01 AM   #31
Nerys Ghemor
Vice Admiral

Re: Arc of the Wolf: True Bearings - Mothers and Sons

SLWatson wrote: View Post
Nerys Ghemor wrote: View Post
Wow...Corry went to war because Scotty was? That's serious dedication. VERY moving stuff!!
No, he didn't. Corry stayed on Earth, Scott went onto the Denevan Run. Much to Cor's worry. Thanks for the comment!
Crap...I think I must have misinterpreted the ending, and thought Corry would end up following Scott. Sorry.

I still love the story, though!
Old November 30 2008, 07:03 AM   #32
SLWatson
Captain

Send a message via AIM to SLWatson
Re: Arc of the Wolf: True Bearings - Mothers and Sons

Crap...I think I must have misinterpreted the ending, and thought Corry would end up following Scott. Sorry.

I still love the story, though!
Nah, no problem. And thanks!
SLWatson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30 2008, 01:08 PM   #33
DavidFalkayn
Commodore

Re: Arc of the Wolf: True Bearings - Bookends

I'm still enjoying this story--it's just that the holidays make it difficult to keep caught up! Between kids and turkey and football games and work there are never enough hours. So, it's all the better for me when I have the time to devote to your stories--you really do have a knack and a love for these characters that comes through with every word.

Keep it up!
Old November 30 2008, 06:06 PM   #34
SLWatson
Captain

Re: Arc of the Wolf: True Bearings - Bookends

DavidFalkayn wrote: View Post
I'm still enjoying this story--it's just that the holidays make it difficult to keep caught up! Between kids and turkey and football games and work there are never enough hours.
Tell me about it!

So, it's all the better for me when I have the time to devote to your stories--you really do have a knack and a love for these characters that comes through with every word.

Keep it up!
Thank you very much!
Old November 30 2008, 06:36 PM   #35
SLWatson
Captain

Arc of the Wolf: True Bearings - Abigail

Title: Abigail
Rating: PG, mild language
Words: 1761
Timeline: 2246
Disclaimer: The universe is Paramount's, but for once, all the characters are mine.
Notes: Abigail Hanson finds herself in a place she didn't expect. Originally posted here.

--

She didn't like South Bristol. It was familiar, and she could find her way around the little town blind, but she didn't like it. She'd grown up here, and couldn't walk through town without being waved to, but where most of the natives loved their little enclave in Maine, she didn't.

Still, her father lived here, and she came back to check on him whenever her work schedule allowed it. And even if she disliked South Bristol, she loved Dad, and was willing to put up with the discomfort of being in this area for his sake.

He was doing good, considering his age, considering his heart. A man who was a lot of bluster, like the spring wind, but warm and warming when the wind faded. And even his bluster had no edge -- rare was it when he ranted that he didn't have a twinkle in his eye. He was doing good, and for that, she was glad.

It was still more winter in Maine; even on the edge of April, there was dirty and rotting snow everywhere, though the temperature was up to the point where walking didn't mean almost instant frostbite. After she checked on Dad, who wasn't allowed to have coffee in the house, she walked down to the cafe for a cup.

Dan was at the counter, and gave her his customary grin, but other than him and Andy Corrigan sitting down the way a bit, it was quiet in there.

"How've you been, Abby?" Dan asked, taking her travel mug when she handed it to him, then turning to go fill it.

"Hangin' in," Abigail replied, pulling her gloves off so that she could get her credit chips out of her coat pocket. "War means tightened port security, so I'm eating up a lot of overtime."

At the mention of her name, Andy looked down the counter. Once just the annoyingly sunny brother of one of her classmates, now he was another of the semi-familiar background faces of South Bristol. Which made the fact that he stole looks at her anytime they crossed paths kind of irritating. He sure hadn't had that staring problem when she was at the house working on a class project with Rachel. Must've developed it since then.

He didn't stare at her this time, though, not even when she hiked an eyebrow in his direction, just gave her a sort of tired and far-less-than sunshiny half-smile that made her want to frown. Then he went back to his coffee.

Dan brought hers back and she paid for it, then shook her head, turning to head for the door. But then looked back at Andy, who was staring into his coffee mug. "How're your folks?" she asked.

He looked up again, eyebrows drawing in confusion, wearing some surprise on his face. "Not bad. Dad's retired, Mom's still writing. How's your Dad?"

"Pretty good. Still kickin'."

There was an almost awkward pause, then Andy gave her another of those half-hearted smiles that didn't look quite natural on his face. "Good." A beat. "Stay safe out there, okay?"

For some reason, that statement made her feel kind of uneasy, but not exactly in a bad way. It wasn't so much the words, but the fact that he meant it sincerely; it wasn't just a casual good-bye, he really did want her to stay safe.

Abby fought off a frown and nodded smartly. "You too." And she was sort of uneasy that she meant it herself. Then she finished her walk to the door and out.

Shore Patrol was her calling. She had the particular ability and talent to notice trouble through a crowded spaceport; homegrown instincts that were cultivated by training. One twitch of a muscle in someone's face could be the difference between a smuggler or just a tired traveller, and she could read the faces and expressions of any number of species.

Under the flag of the Federation, though not a part of Starfleet, the war still effected most things on Earth but in more subtle ways and the Shore Patrol was there to make sure that those ways never became less-than-subtle. Originally it was a part of Starfleet, made up of people assigned without experience to keep their own people out of trouble, but then as space travel became more common, it became clear that there needed to be a home-based police force to keep guard. And the Shore Patrol became its own organization.

Since war had broken out, she was all over the planet; sometimes her home station in Augusta, more often they put her wherever they needed her at the time. But mostly she dealt with the same things -- smugglers, illegals, occasionally just belligerent assholes. Usually people who had something to hide, and could only be picked out of the crowds by their body language, expressions, the things that most people never looked twice it.

Late April in Maine tended to be where winter truly finally released its grip to spring, and she walked through the musty rain that had a sweet scent in it to the cafe. Small talk with Dan, as usual. Andy was there this time; he hadn't been the last two times. Sitting down the way, dressed in his pale blue uniform shirt. He didn't look quite so forlorn as he had last time, though he still seemed to be a little lost, and certainly looked tired.

"How're your folks?" she asked, as Dan got her coffee.

"Still good. How's your Dad?"

"Tough as ever." Dan was taking his time; apparently the pot wasn't finished. Feeling a little uncomfortable, Abby shifted her weight from her right foot to her left, then leaned her elbow on the counter. "How's Rachel?"

Andy made a face that read as irritation, and some worry. "Not bad, but... I don't know what's gotten into her. She's just... I dunno."

If reading for the subtle cues from people in crowds at port was her calling, then talking to Andy was like having everything printed on an open book in large letters. She didn't know the circumstances, but she could immediately glean that Rachel was probably in some state of not quite trouble, was duly smacking the offered help of her brother away and that his frustration was that he couldn't understand why.

He shook his head, then, and gave her a smile. "How's work been?"

"Up and down. You?"

"Not bad. Taking classes for half the day, getting practical experience the other half."

Dan finally brought her coffee back, and she paid for it. And again, with an earnestness that was as plain as the rain outside, Andy said, "Stay safe, Abby."

"You too..." she paused there, then finished, "Andy."

She had never wasted her time admiring the boys at school, let alone her classmate's brother. Just focused on her school work. Graduated top of her class. Got the Hell out of South Bristol, and was planning on getting out of Maine, but then Dad retired and she settled for living in Augusta. Close to work, close enough to her father.

In the warm, bright air of summer, she wondered a little when she started looking at Andy like that. Slowly their conversations had lengthened, and she had realized with a jolt that she looked forward to them now. After days or weeks looking for all of the subtle indicators of lawbreaking and wickedness, talking to someone who spoke openly and honestly was like a relief.

Andy was tethering the family's ketch to the dock, and in the bright sun looked like something that had come from it; golden and open, no eclipse. His skin had a healthy, tanned cast to it, and offset the sun-bleached blond hair on the top of his head. And when he looked at her and smiled, it was a bright smile and it was for her.

That much light was just as hard to look at as it was natural to admire. And she felt another jolt.

"How was the sailing?" she asked, as he stepped over.

"Beautiful," he replied, taking a deep breath, and letting it out with a contented sigh. "I'm glad I got a day off today. How was work?"

"Busy. Had a group of dignitaries in the Port of New York, and security levels were through the Goddamn roof." She leaned on a dockpost, crossing her arms. "And then the war protesters outside."

A shadow crossed Andy's face, the cloud in front of the sun, and she frowned inwardly at that. He said, "I wish it would..." then stopped, then sighed. "I dunno. I'm not a pacifist or anything, and I know we didn't start it, but..."

She recognized the shadow; he'd been living under it in March, though he'd slowly come out from under it since then. After a moment of internal argument, she gestured randomly at her own face. "Why the shadow?" she asked, and then wondered if he would even understand what she meant; it was vague.

He did, though. "Just worry. My best friend shipped off on the Denevan run in March, and I don't like him being out there alone."

"The black-haired guy you were palling around with."

Andy looked surprised, like he had no idea that she would have noticed him, let alone who he was hanging around with. And Abby felt the corners of her mouth curl up. It was starting to sink into his head that she didn't miss much, but it was amusing and maybe even endearing that he still stole looks at her on the sly and thought he'd gotten away with them. Then he nodded, bobbing his blond head. "Yeah, that's him. I mean, I know he's okay, it's not like we don't write back and forth, but it's really hard not to worry anyway."

That was endearing, too. She didn't bother saying anything cliche about how no war lasts forever, or that worrying about someone even when you know they're okay is a waste of energy. It would be trite, and she didn't feel like cheapening herself or Andy with it. So, she just nodded.

He gave her a half-smile, the shadow dissipating but not entirely gone. "Guess I better let you go, huh?"

"Take me out for coffee," she said, and on the word 'coffee' felt a spike of fear. But there was no taking the words back now.

Andy's eyebrows went up, and then he laughed his surprise, but it was a happy laugh and scared her even at the same time that it felt good. "Wow. Really?"

Abby cleared her throat, her face feeling warm, her voice rough. "Yeah, really."

And even as scared as she was inside, of this wide-open man who looked at her so earnestly, she would never look back on that moment and regret it.
Old December 1 2008, 01:58 AM   #36
Nerys Ghemor
Vice Admiral

Re: Arc of the Wolf: True Bearings - Abigail

Awww...the beginning of a beautiful relationship.

(Just watched Casablanca for the first time last night--can't help misquoting it! )
Old December 1 2008, 02:09 AM   #37
SLWatson
Captain

Re: Arc of the Wolf: True Bearings - Abigail

Awww...the beginning of a beautiful relationship.

(Just watched Casablanca for the first time last night--can't help misquoting it! )
It's a good movie! I actually like Bogie and Bacall's stuff, but Casablanca is definitely a classic. Thanks for the comment!
Old December 1 2008, 05:20 PM   #38
SLWatson
Captain

Arc of the Wolf: True Bearings - Home

Title: Home
Rating: G
Words: 1538
Timeline: 2246
Disclaimer: One's Paramount's, the rest are all mine.
Notes: It's strange how something can be wonderful and heartbreaking all at once. Like what it is to have a home. And what it is to be homesick. Second to last one of the set. Originally posted here.

--

Echoes and silence, patience and grace;
All of these moments I'll never replace;
No fear of my heart, absence of faith...

All I want
Is to be home.

-Foo Fighters; Home

--

"The Lobster Festival in Rockland was good this year. We stuffed ourselves stupid."

"...bastard."

Corry chuckled, looking out over the bay; the horizon was starting to cool off in the east behind him, while the sun got low in the west and set the sky on fire in front of him. He was just sitting on the steps, in a pair of shorts and a t-shirt, soaking up the warm air and the smell of the ocean that never seemed to get old to him. "Sorry. I'd send you some if I could."

"Aye, I know." There was a half-muffled yawn on the other end of the line, but even through the little speaker of the communicator Corry had patched through the comm in the house, it could have been right beside him and not so many lightyears away. Then Scotty added, "Still a bastard, though. Know what was on the menu today?"

"Lemme guess... cubes?"

"Exactly."

Wartime rationing was brutal at best for Starfleet, though it didn't touch the personnel stationed on Earth, or even inside of Sol. Worse was wartime staffing -- the more military vessels and squadrons took the lion's share of everyone, leaving the non-military cargo carriers to be badly undermanned by overworked, generally lower-ranking people. Corry shook his head to himself. "Long day." It wasn't a question.

"Very."

"If you want me to let you go get some sleep, we can catch up later."

"No, I don't." There was a certain 'through the teeth' quality to Scotty's words, and Cor knew it wasn't because he was angry, but because he had his chin resting on his forearms and didn't have the energy left to hold his head up. "Don't know when I'll have the time t'get on subspace again."

Between the marathon schedule, then the strict rules governing subspace communications usage during wartime, that was a legitimate enough reason. So, Corry nodded; knew Scott couldn't see it literally, but would sense it anyway. "It's beautiful here. Sun'll go down in a half-hour or so. Mom's down in Boston with Rach, but I don't think that's probably going so hot. Abby went home a few hours ago."

"Aye?"

"Yeah." Corry looked off, taking a deep breath, letting it out and leaning back on his elbows. Geez, it was gorgeous out; very warm, and a little humid, but just kind of a perfect summer day. So, knowing that he was being listened to, if not the words then his voice, he kept talking, "I'm still not sure where I am with her, y'know? I mean, she asked me out, but she's just... it seems like we make some headway, and I start thinking that we're a couple, but then she backs off and I don't hear from her for days, or even sometimes a week or more. Trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong." He didn't get a reply, and wasn't really looking for one, just continued, "I mean, she's... I see something in her, like just under the surface, and I'm willing to wait for that. I just don't know how long I'll have to or anything."

There was a chuckle, then Scotty said, "If there's anyone persistent enough to win someone over, Cor, it's you."

Corry shook his head with a wry grin. He supposed it must be true; making a friend of Scotty had taken him months, which he doubted he would have spent if not for the fact that he knew there was something there worth winning over. Now, over four years later, and through life, near-death, chaos and even silliness, he'd kill or die for that friendship. "I'm... I dunno. Just kinda letting her do the leading."

"Whatever works."

"I love it when she smiles. She doesn't really do it often, but when she does, she just... lights up, and man, I swear, my heart just about jumps out of my chest. It's like Christmas or something every time." Even just recalling it was making Cor smile, and he shook his head. "Yeah. I think I can wait for that."

"Gettin' all domesticated?"
Another quiet yawn; a likewise quiet grin that Corry could hear. "Better be careful, though. Looks like a bruiser -- wake her up with a lobster, she might take yer head off."

"I'll save that for you. Still owe you for that stunt you pulled with the canners."

"Ye did ask for it."

"There's a big difference between sticking one lobster in someone's face and dropping ten of them... ten... onto someone in the shower."

Scotty laughed, that kind of 'I really did do that, didn't I?' laugh, and before he could stop himself, Corry was laughing too. Really, he had gotten over it; still, at the time he had nearly lost his mind. Plus, his mother had been an accomplice in that, and that was even worse.

"Aye, well, least I left the bands on 'em."

"Small mercy. My shins were bruised for a week from where I dove out of the shower. Tore down the curtain, got water everywhere..." Corry shook his head with a smile. "And then my own mother was laughing at me."

"So was I. All the way back to Augusta. An' all the next day."

Cor rolled his eyes, but he wasn't mad. "Well, I'm glad I provide such a source of amusement."

"Me too."

Silence fell like the sun did; it was funny, most people tended towards trying to stuff as much conversation as they could into what subspace time they were allotted, but Corry had found that silence had become a reasonable, comfortable part of this long-distance communication. Maybe because it made it feel less long-distance. If they sometimes sat in silence when they were together, then sitting in silence apart was an acknowledgment that connections don't always require words.

The first time they'd managed to catch each other on subspace was a fairly brief conversation, and a little raw. Corry had a far better understanding than most of what it was to be connected to people; after all that had happened in the Academy, he never let himself forget just what it is to be a part of someone else's life, either in blood or by choice.

So, Scott shipping off had left him in a state like grief; looking out of the corner of his eye for someone who was supposed to be there, and then finding him not there, and it was renewed at every echo. Adding in the worry, and Cor had been a mess. Hard time concentrating, hard time training himself not to look for his best friend, who should be there, be home where he was missed.

That first conversation, absent some letters, had been a little raw. And Scotty had said, in a way that managed to cover all of it, even maybe some wonder, "I'm homesick."

It had hit Cor like a brick, and he was pretty sure they both were hit at the same time by it, because for someone to be homesick, then they had to have a home. Corry always knew he did. Always knew that he could come back to South Bristol, and he would be safe; surrounded by the things he'd grown up with, surrounded by people who liked him or loved him, and would protect him.

He knew, though he had never figured out why, that Scotty really hadn't had a home before. At least not in the way that people do when they know, on some level deeper than words, that they belong somewhere.

If there was ever a living, breathing reminder to Corry to appreciate what he had grown up with, knew into his soul, it was Scotty. Because you never quite understand what it is to have a home until you see someone else discover it, little by little. And just like he would kill or die for this friendship, he would kill or die so that his best friend never had to wonder again if he would have some sheltered harbor to retreat to.

Few things in the universe could encompass what those two words had summed up.

Just like no words could explain how Cor knew Scotty had fallen asleep with the comm line open; could probably hear the tree-frogs in the trees starting up, and given how new the communicator was, maybe even the water across the road rolling in.

But it made him smile anyway.

"Hey, Wolf. Wake up." A quiet tug on the line.

"Mm," was the protesting, drowsy reply.

Corry chuckled, shaking his head. "No sleeping at the desk."

Scotty sighed, a long-suffering sigh, and it was a little amused and a little like a kid who had just gotten rousted by his older brother, and just as much an indicator of how far they'd managed to get. "Bastard."

Cor looked off at the sunset, and listened to the summer air, and took a breath. It had been a beautiful day. "I know."

There was a pause on both parts; an acknowledgment of silence, and connection, and what it is to be at home and homesick. And for all the ways that families had come up with to say goodbye to each other across distances, none of them ever quite worked. Just a pause in the silence, and one more moment that spanned lightyears, and then the click of the call breaking.

Because in the end, all the things that really mattered were never broken.
Old December 1 2008, 06:13 PM   #39
Nerys Ghemor
Vice Admiral

Re: Arc of the Wolf: True Bearings - Home

So I'm guessing back then (especially during wartime) it wasn't so common to have visual communications? It seems like this is audio...

And I LOVE getting the follow-up on the lobster incident! I had been wondering exactly that, if he left the bands on or not!

Very moving to see them still trying to keep up the friendship despite distance and circumstances.
Old December 1 2008, 06:21 PM   #40
SLWatson
Captain

Re: Arc of the Wolf: True Bearings - Home

So I'm guessing back then (especially during wartime) it wasn't so common to have visual communications? It seems like this is audio...
I think visual was probably much more strictly allotted. I figure that in the modern day, it takes less bandwidth (or whatever else) to do audio communications than it does full video, and I imagine that even in the future with subspace communications, it would still be about the same. Except, of course, they can call across whole lightyears. Plus, especially during wartime, I'd think that the relays and everything that makes it possible would be dedicated mostly to wartime traffic.

And I LOVE getting the follow-up on the lobster incident! I had been wondering exactly that, if he left the bands on or not!

Very moving to see them still trying to keep up the friendship despite distance and circumstances.
Thank you! I loved this one. It was quiet and warm and I'm glad I wrote it.
Old December 2 2008, 06:38 PM   #41
SLWatson
Captain

Arc of the Wolf: True Bearings - Reflected

Title: Reflected
Pairing: None
Timeline: September 2246
Words: 1443
Disclaimer: Scott is Paramount's property, everyone else is not.
Notes: Jay gets an unexpected call from his son; short, kind of bittersweet. Written for Trekfan, in a roundabout way. Edited by the ever-lovely Teddog. Last one of this set.

--

The sunlight reflected off of the water so brightly that he had to keep from looking at it directly; high summer, on the ocean, and the light seemed to come from all directions. From the sky, off of the water, off of the polished decking of the ship. Nice, but only in short amounts. He liked the dusk and twilight better -- colors, planet-rise, and easier on the skin and eyes.

The Denevan oceans were deeper and wider than Earth's; he'd liked the long stretches of nothingness back when he'd first worked on them, and still found a good deal of peace there now. He did miss Earth sometimes -- there was no way to be tied to a planet through evolution, right to an elemental level without missing it on some unspoken level -- but for now, this was the best place for him.

Jay McMillan had a lot of good reasons for staying here, but the biggest one had a name.

Despite that regret, though, it was a decent life. He worked hard, and had a good flat he only saw once every few months. There was also a pretty lass, his age, who he hooked up with when he came into port -- a casual relationship, just dating. She was a widow, and they both enjoyed going out and having a meal in unassuming company. He stayed in contact with Winslow, too, getting updates on his former business.

And the occasional update about his son.

He wasn't sure how he felt when he found out that Montgomery had been court-martialed by Starfleet; according to what little he'd heard, it wasn't a cut and dried affair. On one hand, he wanted to be disappointed -- after all that boy had to fight to get into Starfleet and out of the range of influence his family levied on him, it seemed to be an entirely foolish thing to get into trouble like that.

But on the other hand, it wasn't a matter of Montgomery doing something immoral, unethical or otherwise. Even with just the barest of details that he had, Jay knew that the lad had done what he had because he was still fighting back against the myriad forces that had done their level best to reduce him to a ghost. And when it was all over, and the conviction came, word was that he had no regret for the choices he'd made, even though those choices were ones that flew in the face of the rules and expectations of others.

And on that hand, Jay couldn't help but be a bit fiercely proud of his son.

That had been a few years ago now; last update was that the lad was still in Starfleet and hadn't gotten into any further trouble.

It was rare when a day passed that Jay didn't think of him in some way, even just a passing thought about where he was and what he was doing. Therefore, it didn't seem all that much like a coincidence when Jay had been thinking about him and the call came on the tails of those thoughts.

"Hey, Jay! Got a call!" The first mate Jess called, from the deckhouse forty feet above him. "Starfleet apparently wants to talk to ya!"

He knew in an instant who it was; likewise didn't know why or what he would say. An anxious thought occurred that the boy might be calling to ask some very difficult questions; nervous as that thought made Jay, however, he didn't waste any time going inside and climbing the stairs to the deckhouse. If that was the case, he'd find a way to give the answers. If it wasn't... well, it'd still be a good thing to at least set eyes on the child he'd been half responsible for.

Jess was looking at him oddly when he got there, a kind of measuring look. Jay scowled it off, then headed over to the comm station.

He knew immediately that Montgomery wasn't going to be asking any of those questions; he looked tired, but like he was in good spirits. Jay imagined that if the topic ever came up, that would not be the expression that would go with it. But Jay was instantly struck with just how much the lad had grown up, even since his Basic Training graduation photo. Still boyish, but he was strong-jawed and strong-shouldered, and Jay knew where both those features came from. He saw them every day in the mirror.

"Sir," the lad said, not quite comfortably but not really anxiously, either. "If I'm interruptin' anything important..."

"Ye're not," Jay said, trying hard to keep from looking too much of anything. Like surprised. Or happy. Or regretful. "How've ye been?"

"Well enough." There was a pause, a bit awkward, then he said, "Since I'm in orbit, I thought I'd call."

"Aye?" Jay asked, trying to sound casual. "One o' the Horizon ships?"

"Aye, the Horizon Sun. Engineering adviser." Montgomery grinned, a little sardonically. "Which is a nice way o' sayin' that I'm on call and doin' everything that no one else wants to."

Jay had to chuckle at that. It was short lived, but it put a pause in his own anxiety for a moment before he said, "Heard from Winslow that ye got yerself into some trouble. I'm guessin' ye'd rather be where ye are, than where ye coulda ended up."

"Aye." The lad shrugged, mostly one-shouldered, with a half-smile. "It's honest work, and I'll eventually get where I was aimin' for."

Jay didn't doubt that. He tried to cast about for something to say, but drew a blank. What do you say, to the child you're not able to acknowledge? How do you stop yourself from staring in wonder at someone you had a part in creating, and not just want to talk about that pride? That regret? The hope, the sorrow? He cleared his throat, forcing those thoughts down. "I'm sure ye will," he said, after a moment.

"Anyway, though..." There was a long pause while the boy studied the desktop in front of him, with the thoughtful look Jay remembered from too long ago. Then he looked back up with the directness that was new, at least to Jay -- a certainty, a confidence, that made Jay's heart ache. "I wanted to thank you. Up an' down as my career's been so far, it's still my own."

There were no words for what Jay felt; for all that he felt in that moment. That any statement of gratitude could ever cause such warmth and pain, all at once. He knew that there would be little more said, that this conversation was coming to a close. He wondered if there was ever a way to express how he felt right then, and knew of only one. There was no way to keep it out of his voice, and maybe, in a way, that was all right.

"I'm proud of ye," Jay said, past the tightness in his chest and throat; past the sting in his eyes that he prayed would hold off until this was over.

There was an eternal moment where some of his own sorrow and warmth was echoed back to him, unknowing and uneasy though it was. And Jay knew he had hit some nerve, still raw, that needed more time to heal. But after a moment of looking down, in some silent internal war, his son looked back up and tipped his chin up. "I have to get back to work. But..." and he nodded there, a subtle bow, "...thanks again. And take care."

"Take care," Jay managed to say, with a half-smile. "I'm glad ye called."

"I am too." And with a sort of reassuring last glance, the lad ended the call.

It was a long time, he didn't know how long, before Jay was able to pull his face out of his hands and get back to work. Even longer before he was able to get back to living his life, and not dwelling so much on his mistakes. Somehow, the knowledge that his mistakes and Cait's hadn't managed to destroy what they'd created, though, made it just a little bit easier.

And despite it all, he believed that last glance which said, "It's all right."
Old December 2 2008, 07:59 PM   #42
Nerys Ghemor
Vice Admiral

Re: Arc of the Wolf: True Bearings - Reflected

Very nice to see the interaction between these two now that Scott's come to a place in his life where I can more easily empathize. I didn't really read "Junkyard Dogs," but I still enjoyed this.

I also like your reflections on Jay's attachments to Deneva and Earth.
Old December 2 2008, 08:26 PM   #43
SLWatson
Captain

Re: Arc of the Wolf: True Bearings - Reflected

Very nice to see the interaction between these two now that Scott's come to a place in his life where I can more easily empathize. I didn't really read "Junkyard Dogs," but I still enjoyed this.

I also like your reflections on Jay's attachments to Deneva and Earth.
I think, if I wove the earlier stuff well enough and I weave the later stuff well enough, you'll understand the young, half-feral Scotty a lot better. But I have way too much to write yet, before it all clicks. That's part of the joy of writing it, though; arcs within arcs within eras, within the broad story of a person's life. If I do my job well, then hopefully you'll want to go back and re-read the early stuff with new perspective.

Still, that's awhile to go yet.

Thanks so much for the comment! I hadn't originally planned on revisiting Jay, but I was glad I could. He's a good man and I came to care a lot about him in Junkyard Dogs; it seemed only fair to give him one more look.
Old December 3 2008, 07:08 PM   #44
SLWatson
Captain

Arc of the Wolf: True Bearings - Notes and Things

All right, this is the last set I'm posting here until I have more done. Alas, I don't know when that'll be, since I've been suffering a very agonizing writer's block for awhile now. But if you want to read what else I do have out of context, you can find all of the stories here. If you're looking for some Christmas fluff, It's All Engineering is a good piece requiring no real context. But that's up to you -- there are big pieces missing in there.

There's one story written for me by someone else (Trekfan) to add to this set. Half-canon, but as always, wonderful: A possible look at Corry and Abby's not-quite-first date.

Title: First Date
Author: Trekfan
Pairing: Abby/Corry
Timeline: July 2246
Words: 1543
Disclaimer: Scott belongs to Paramount; Pete belongs to Trekfan. SLWatson belongs to the rest of 'em and then some. ::grins::
Notes: Written as half of a trade by Trekfan! So, tell him what you think. A possible look at Corry's first time out with Abby. As he said, "okay, here's a story for SLWatson, about dear Mr. Corriagan. As always, any and all comments are welcome. This story I particulary enjoyed writing (partly inspired by my 11th grade history teacher). enjoy."

Of course, there are more goodies, but I'll get to them tomorrow. In the meantime, I shall explain the story behind South Bristol, Maine.

Back when I picked this particular hometown for Corry, I had done so by basically throwing a digital dart at a map and came up with this. I only knew I wanted him to be from New England, and on a bit of a lark, from Maine. I hunted around the internet (this back when it was a much smaller place) and came across a picture of a pretty town where the sun was rising on the docks.

Enter, South Bristol.

The thing about evolving storylines is that you don't always know what will happen. I had no idea that South Bristol would be anything more than a mention, but as time went on and I kept asking questions, it emerged as being a place that held a significant amount of importance. Not because it was the site of some grand endeavor, but because, like all of us have at some point in our lives, it's the 'home territory' for at least two of the most important parts of my cast.

So, for about six years this story came back to visit Midcoast Maine, and that region between Wiscasset and Pemaquid Penninsula. I'd never been to Maine; in fact, I'd never been into New England, really, past Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. So I relied on a ton of research, and fell in love with this place through my characters' eyes.

Finally, the opportunity came up for me to take my very first adult vacation. And, there was only one place I wanted to go. So, this year in September, my friend Rach and I went to South Bristol.

There's something kind of remarkable about walking around the home territory of your characters, even a couple centuries before they do.

So, here are my pictures -- South Bristol, Boothbay Harbor, Damariscotta... a whole bunch of pictures of the space where my characters walk. Large images, so don't browse on slow connections.

Midcoast Maine.
Old December 5 2008, 07:50 PM   #45
SLWatson
Captain

Arc of the Wolf: True Bearings - Artwork

So, the last bit of artwork (for now, anyway) that goes along with this set. Some sketches, some actual colored work, a digital painting or two.

Breathless - I'm not too good at backgrounds or anything else, but I trip out on lighting and the pose is pretty good (for once). Scotty, awestruck, in EV gear. Was gonna go and do the whole story in images, but lost my will on it after awhile.

Laughter - Just a really rough sketch, but I totally adore it. Mostly because the little SOB doesn't laugh nearly enough. So, it's endearing to me.

Winter in Maine - Another rough sketch I love. Somewhere around the time of Bookends.

Just Askin' - Another sketch, originally done for practice, definitely from Bookends. Corry trying to put the brakes on Scotty, before he goes and asks Corry's crush if she wants to join them for coffee.

Be Careful - Full black-and-white digital painting from 'Mothers and Sons'. Didn't come out too bad.

Corry in Color - Just a quick portrait I did to show Corry's coloring. Probably somewhere around summer of 2246. He's a tawny kind of blond.