Trek 3 Shooting Next Spring?
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

Star Trek: Alien Domain Game Announced
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Old November 28 2008, 02:59 PM   #1
wonderstoat
Comrade

Why so little Uhura in ST3?

I've just rewatched ST3 and noticed a few things.

One, is that it's a much better film than I remember, some great character moments ("how can you be deaf with ears that big?"; "don't call me 'Tiny;"; "but you don't have eight, so I'll do it for ye in two", significant things happen (David dies, Ent gets scuttled) and I can't help feeling it may have been a lot better if it wasn't for the hokey Genesis studio set.

It also has the single best line in all of trek "That green-blooded son of a bitch ..." you all know the rest ...

Anyways, one thing that's puzzled me is that Uhura is completely absent after the transporter scene with "Mr Adventure" until the final scene on Vulcan.

I'm amazed I never noticed before. Can anyone shed any light on this? Is there some backstage story concerning Nichelle Nichols?
wonderstoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28 2008, 04:20 PM   #2
Jarrott2
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Re: Why so little Uhura in ST3?

This has also bothered me over the years. I always thought how cool it would have been if instead when they beam over and are on the bridge that the turbo lift doors open and in walks Uhura saying "you boys didn't think you could do this alone!" and behind her walks Janice Rand, Christine Chapel, Kevin Riley and others from the old series. And then she says I brought some old friends. I hated it that they blew up the Enterprise. One of my beefs with all the movies is that the Enterprise was never really grand it always ended up getting pumeled or destroyed.
Jarrott2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28 2008, 04:23 PM   #3
Admiral Bear
Captain

I've always guessed Uhura wasn't central to the story, and as such Nichols only had a small part. Star Trek III is essentially Kirk and McCoy going to find Spock's body so that McCoy can have his marbles back.

It's a good dark film, albeit with a very simple story, although sometimes they work the best.
Admiral Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28 2008, 05:12 PM   #4
Kryton
Admiral

Yup. She just wasn't key to the plot and, frankly, it worked to have her wish them well and see them off.

My favorite Trek film, BTW...truest to everything Trek ever meant to me growing up. "The needs of the ONE sometimes outweigh the needs of the many." Only Jim Kirk. <sniffle>
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28 2008, 05:26 PM   #5
Anticitizen
Fleet Captain

Well, Uhura did pop up on Vulcan at the end.

Don't forget the best part, though -

'I (kick) have HAD (kick) enough of YOU! (KICK)'
Anticitizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28 2008, 05:33 PM   #6
Shatmandu
Vice Admiral

I remember reading some slash about what Uhura did with "Mister Adventure" in that closet.

Jeez!

Joe, not easily shocked
Shatmandu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28 2008, 05:55 PM   #7
ST-One
Vice Admiral

She may not have had a big part in that movie, but she looked younger than in all the other film (even TMP and TWOK).
ST-One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28 2008, 11:41 PM   #8
DGCatAniSiri
Captain

I'm not sure if it was just the author's imagining or part of a bit of cut material, but in the novelization, Uhura goes to the Vulcan embassy and Sarek, just ahead of Federation security and gets asylum, which is how she got to Vulcan.

Not sure what the actual reason for her lack of usage was, but I can easily imagine the execs considering that not as exciting so they wanted it left out.
DGCatAniSiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28 2008, 11:50 PM   #9
tranya
Commander

View tranya's Twitter Profile

DGCatAniSiri wrote: View Post
I'm not sure if it was just the author's imagining or part of a bit of cut material, but in the novelization, Uhura goes to the Vulcan embassy and Sarek, just ahead of Federation security and gets asylum, which is how she got to Vulcan.

Not sure what the actual reason for her lack of usage was, but I can easily imagine the execs considering that not as exciting so they wanted it left out.
Yeah, the novelization was top notch, full of awesome extra bits like this -- it was by far my favorite novelization. I remember reading it as a kid and getting at least 100 pages into it and still hadn't reached the first scene of the movie.
Old November 29 2008, 12:10 AM   #10
RyanKCR
Vice Admiral

I read in a magazine interview that on original reading Nichelle counted her lines and complained to Bennett. He asked her if she read the lines themselve. She admitted she didn't and when she did she was extremely happy with what she was able to do and was grateful for the spotlight Bennet put on her in that scene.
RyanKCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29 2008, 12:49 AM   #11
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

RyanKCR wrote: View Post
I read in a magazine interview that on original reading Nichelle counted her lines and complained to Bennett. He asked her if she read the lines themselve. She admitted she didn't and when she did she was extremely happy with what she was able to do and was grateful for the spotlight Bennet put on her in that scene.
Yep. "Starlog" interview with Harve Bennett. Nichelle was also pressuring for a skirt version of the Starfleet uniform (in ST II) and he made sure that wish was granted for ST III.
Therin of Andor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 29 2008, 06:51 AM   #12
Peach Wookiee
Cuddly Mod of Doom

She liked her skirts, and that's fine! ^^
Peach Wookiee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 29 2008, 09:41 AM   #13
Kirk1980
Fleet Captain

Send a message via AIM to Kirk1980 Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Kirk1980 Send a message via Yahoo to Kirk1980

Yeah, she may have only had one key scene but it was....a very very good one!

That'd make me happy, too!

Let's see what's out there...
Kirk1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29 2008, 03:21 PM   #14
Kryton
Admiral

It's damn irregular is what it is!
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29 2008, 08:15 PM   #15
guardian
Commodore

There was just as much Uhura in TSFS as Sulu & Chekov if you go by lines.

Sulu had the 'tiny' scene
Chekov the destruct scene and they are just background button pushers for the rest of the movie

I am a crazy line counter

I counted all the lines for the main regular characters in TSFS up till the stealing of the Enterprise, recently.

Uhura has about 30 lines
Sulu about 25
Chekov about 20 and
Kirk nearly 300 lines and he's just getting warmed up, the others by that point had had their spotlight time.

Anybody who truly thinks that Nimoy changed balance of focus for the minor characters is just unaware.
In trek 3 & 4 he gave them each a little bit to do in one scene and they thought it was some kind of big deal.

TOS was the big 3, period.

Nimoy was just able to massage the egos of the other actors to keep them happy, not expand their roles.
guardian is offline   Reply With Quote