Cumberbatch To Voice Khan
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old November 25 2008, 09:06 PM   #16
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson
Re: Titan Comic

I'm still not seeing the problem.

As Christopher points out, there are massive gaps in the novel chronology. And it's not like the novels couldn't be worked into the series as necessary. DC managed to work the third and fourth films into their comics continuity, and Marvel worked "The Cage" into Early Voyages by retelling some of its events from a new perspective.

The advantage to mini-series is that they can mimic the same event-driven, epic storytelling that the novel lines deliver today. The advantage to an ongoing series with single issue storytelling and longer story arcs is that it mimics the episodic nature of the television series that has, to some extent, been lost.

I'm not trying to be dense by saying that I don't see the problem with coordinating an ongoing comics series with an ongoing novel series. If Mike Friedman could do it for a whole lotta years for DC with TNG by carving out six-issue blocks within seasons for him to tell small and big stories, I've no doubt that Pocket and IDW could equally work out something that would work.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25 2008, 09:10 PM   #17
Christopher
Writer

Titan is an episodic series too, not unlike TNG. Yes, it has occasional transitions like character departures and developing romances and such, but when the installments are set anywhere from two to eight months apart, that's pretty much the definition of episodic storytelling. So no, maybe a comic couldn't tell stories that could make radical changes in the characters' lives, but that goes for most tie-in comics as a rule.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25 2008, 10:16 PM   #18
JD
Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
^^Well, for what it's worth, there are some major gaps in the Titan chronology. The first three volumes are pretty close together, but from Orion's Hounds to Sword of Damocles is two and a half months, from SoD to Destiny is nearly eight months, and from Destiny to the main body of Over a Torrent Sea is... well, more than a few weeks. So there's plenty of room that TTN comics could fill in.
Oh, I didn't realize there was that much time between each book. I had figured we were pretty much just gone from one adventure/mission straight to the next one.

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
JD wrote: View Post
Yeah, but that would be kinda hard to do if we are still getting the books. I really think it would better as occaisional graphic novels or miniseries.
DC Comics managed to do a monthly ongoing Star Trek: The Next Generation comic while that series was on the air. Malibu and Marvel both did ongoing Deep Space Nine series.

I'm not seeing the problem.
I'll be honest, I totally spaced out on the fact that they did have comics running at the same time as the shows.

I guess an ongoing series wouldn't be as hard as I thought.

Wow, I'm not doing to good on here today. I guess I need to think things through more before I post.
Old November 26 2008, 09:10 PM   #19
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

The advantage to mini-series is that they can mimic the same event-driven, epic storytelling that the novel lines deliver today. The advantage to an ongoing series with single issue storytelling and longer story arcs is that it mimics the episodic nature of the television series that has, to some extent, been lost.
Although IDW has now done two TOS mini-series set in "Year Four", with some potential overlaps (eg. developing Arex; perhaps setting up Chekov to move into security?), and a promise of more to come. The graphic novel omnibus reprints have numbered spines which should climb if/when more is done.
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27 2008, 06:53 AM   #20
Geoff Thorne
Fleet Captain

View Geoff Thorne's Twitter Profile

I'm still not seeing the problem.

As Christopher points out, there are massive gaps in the novel chronology. And it's not like the novels couldn't be worked into the series as necessary. DC managed to work the third and fourth films into their comics continuity, and Marvel worked "The Cage" into Early Voyages by retelling some of its events from a new perspective.

I'm not trying to be dense by saying that I don't see the problem with coordinating an ongoing comics series with an ongoing novel series. If Mike Friedman could do it for a whole lotta years for DC with TNG by carving out six-issue blocks within seasons for him to tell small and big stories, I've no doubt that Pocket and IDW could equally work out something that would work.
Seems as though all of us want to do it. It can be done. It just needs an editor or two who wants the headache.

Starfleet is not a military organization. Its purpose is exploration. - Jean-Luc Picard
Geoff Thorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1 2008, 12:58 AM   #21
Andy Mangels
Writer

RedJack wrote: View Post
Seems as though all of us want to do it. It can be done. It just needs an editor or two who wants the headache.
Put the right team together with the right experience, and it shouldn't be any headache at all.

The only likeness approval one might even *possibly* need to work with would be Frakes, and for artists, it's a chance to really open up some new kinds of designery kickass!

And as has been pointed out, there are loads of gaps in the stories in which new tales could be told. And knowing the way the authors all work together — and Marco keeps the continuity running brilliantly — working in stories that "fit" and maybe even take characters in new and/or future directions would be a snap.
Andy Mangels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1 2008, 02:22 AM   #22
JD
Admiral

I just hope if we do see a Titan comic, that they include some of the non-humanoids like Ree (well he's one of the major characters so I guess he's obvious), Torvig, and K'chak'!'op. I'd love to see Huilan too, but I'm not sure if we'd be able get him.