Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Frakes: Sign Me Up!
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Old November 26 2008, 09:06 PM   #91
ScatmanRescueMe
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Just watched Star Trek V The Final Frontier

I am totally amazed at the question.........

"what are you talking about?"

You don't understand the concept that the FX actually stunk in 1989?

'All movies back then are bad compared to modern FX'

No, I too, saw TFF in theaters and the FX were a GIANT step back from TSFS, TWOK & TVH. Let alone the star Wars movies Aliens etc.
Many, many reviews commented on how horrible the FX were compared to contemporary movies (not movies 19 years in the future)

Shatner & Bennett hated the FX and said they were not what they expected or were promised by the company.

I'm not saying the quality of the FX can make a good movie worthless or a bad movie great, but by any objective standard they are BAD. VERY BAD.
ScatmanRescueMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26 2008, 09:12 PM   #92
Luminus
Fleet Captain

ScatmanRescueMe wrote: View Post

No, I too, saw TFF in theaters and the FX were a GIANT step back from TSFS, TWOK & TVH. Let alone the star Wars movies Aliens etc.
Many, many reviews commented on how horrible the FX were compared to contemporary movies (not movies 19 years in the future)

Shatner & Bennett hated the FX and said they were not what they expected or were promised by the company.

I'm not saying the quality of the FX can make a good movie worthless or a bad movie great, but by any objective standard they are BAD. VERY BAD.
I thought you guys were criticizing from Today's point of view. I've been re-watching old 80's movies and they just all suck in terms of effects, that's why I started this debate. My memory of watching them for the first time was that the effects were good. Hell, that scene in the Terminator where Arnold cuts his eye out and slices up his arm was down-right unwatchable to me back then (very graphic). Now, it's a joke.

Some people just see more problems with effects than others. Hell, some people think Nemesis has bad effects. I, for one, can't understand why.

"The Face of Boe they called me."
Luminus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27 2008, 03:40 AM   #93
gomtuu20
Commander

Luminus wrote: View Post

I thought you guys were criticizing from Today's point of view. I've been re-watching old 80's movies and they just all suck in terms of effects, that's why I started this debate. My memory of watching them for the first time was that the effects were good. Hell, that scene in the Terminator where Arnold cuts his eye out and slices up his arm was down-right unwatchable to me back then (very graphic). Now, it's a joke.

Some people just see more problems with effects than others. Hell, some people think Nemesis has bad effects. I, for one, can't understand why.
Except for some CGI of ship that Picard and Data were in while trying to escape, I thought the Nem fx were pretty good. The movie itsself was lacking, but the fx were done very well.
gomtuu20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27 2008, 05:39 AM   #94
Nebusj
Rear Admiral

View Nebusj's Twitter Profile

Well, there's the moment when the Death Balustrade of Death is supposed to impale Shinzon, but instead it just lightly bounces around his chest, and Stewart and Hardy look around as if Mom is going to yell at them for roughhousing.
Nebusj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27 2008, 07:28 AM   #95
RobertScorpio
Pariah

If the FX were good, then they would not have been an issue as much as they were in some of the reviews of the time...INSURRECTION and NEMESIS just look to flat with their CGI. I'll take the FX of WRATH OF KHAN/THE MOTION PICTURE, even with their flaws, over the flat CGI of the last two TNG movies...

Rob
RobertScorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27 2008, 08:35 AM   #96
Anticitizen
Fleet Captain

RobertScorpio, I am very much in agreement about the CGI vs. models. I think FX believability went sharply downhill when CGI replaced the models. The word you used to describe the CGI is perfect... flat. The shots from TSFS of the Enterprise entering Spacedock with its battle damage, under scrutiny of spotlights, just looks so goddamn REAL. Because it is. They filmed a real, large model of that ship. I can never put my finger on what makes the CGI so lackluster but there's some factor that takes away from the realism.

That said, effects aside, I'll take the story and characterization from The Final Frontier over any of the TNG movies.
Anticitizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27 2008, 08:37 AM   #97
Luminus
Fleet Captain

Geesh! Impossible crowd. I liked the effects for Nemesis. I even like the strange-looking FX of Insurrection (not the animal).

EDIT: And the Final Frontier has NOTHING on First Contact.

Old November 27 2008, 01:20 PM   #98
Haggis and tatties
Rear Admiral

STV might not have lit the Trek movie world on fire but its a fun movie at its core, and i think the shat did well on giving the movie a very TOS feeling about it in its interaction between the cast and characters, yes the effects are not great but they do the job, and i would rather have a character filled and flawed Trek story then the Picard and Data show that we had in Nemesis when all our fave other character took backseats and my as well have been cardboard cut outs in the back ground.

Not that Nemesis is not a watchable movie, and to be honest i think Trek wise we have all been really lucky as all the Trek movie are at least very watchable over and over again....

Haggis and tatties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27 2008, 05:58 PM   #99
Luminus
Fleet Captain

Haggis and Tatties wrote: View Post
STV might not have lit the Trek movie world on fire but its a fun movie at its core, and i think the shat did well on giving the movie a very TOS feeling about it in its interaction between the cast and characters, yes the effects are not great but they do the job, and i would rather have a character filled and flawed Trek story then the Picard and Data show that we had in Nemesis when all our fave other character took backseats and my as well have been cardboard cut outs in the back ground.

Not that Nemesis is not a watchable movie, and to be honest i think Trek wise we have all been really lucky as all the Trek movie are at least very watchable over and over again....
I can't watch Nemisis without analyzing and disecting it. It just has too many flaws. Insurrection is not a movie. It's a 2-hour episode and a weak one at that.

Old November 28 2008, 05:18 PM   #100
Kryton
Admiral

Ugh...I just watched TFF with Rifftrax and even THEY couldn't save it. I'm one step closer to suicide now. Bleah.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28 2008, 11:26 PM   #101
Kirk1980
Fleet Captain

Send a message via AIM to Kirk1980 Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Kirk1980 Send a message via Yahoo to Kirk1980

Kryton, you know androids have no sense of humor...what were you thinking?!

Kidding, Red Dwarf is excellent.

Let's see what's out there...
Kirk1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28 2008, 11:45 PM   #102
Joker
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Joker

Interestingly enough, I was about to add a topic with the exact same subject as this one.

In the past few days, I've... uh, acquired all the Trek movies in 720p HD, and have been watching them one at a time.

When I came to Star Trek 5, I was stunned by how much better it is than how I remember it from a few years ago. Moreover, I have a crushing disappointment that Shatner & Co. weren't permitted to make the movie without interference from upstairs.

Strip away the nonsense comedy, the atrocious ending, the subpar effects work, and you have the seeds of what I'd consider to be a very good entry in the franchise, better in my eyes than the lazy and uninspired Genesis trilogy.

The opening with Sybok laughing, the idea of a planet of peace and paradise being a forgotten wasteland with no passion or feeling about it, a well-intentioned but misguided man on a quest to find God and Heaven, the idea that God exists in each of us... it's some great stuff.

The musical score is grand, the direction and cinematography are solid throughout. Far more interesting to look at than the muddy brown TWOK, the sound-stage TSFS, and sitcom TVH. Performances were great, Luckinbill's Sybok was great.

The pain scene? Absolutely superb. McCoy's euthanising his father, Spock facing a prior pain of being rejected by his father, yet in the years since, finding his place with his human friends.

I only wish the idea of a man seeking Heaven, but finding Hell instead, only realising it after he gets there, was kept intact, and properly realised with some real and artistic special effects.

In short, I thoroughly enjoyed the good parts, and lament would could have been.
Old November 29 2008, 12:02 AM   #103
Kirk1980
Fleet Captain

Send a message via AIM to Kirk1980 Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Kirk1980 Send a message via Yahoo to Kirk1980

elton wrote: View Post
Interestingly enough, I was about to add a topic with the exact same subject as this one.

In the past few days, I've... uh, acquired all the Trek movies in 720p HD, and have been watching them one at a time.

When I came to Star Trek 5, I was stunned by how much better it is than how I remember it from a few years ago. Moreover, I have a crushing disappointment that Shatner & Co. weren't permitted to make the movie without interference from upstairs.

Strip away the nonsense comedy, the atrocious ending, the subpar effects work, and you have the seeds of what I'd consider to be a very good entry in the franchise, better in my eyes than the lazy and uninspired Genesis trilogy.

The opening with Sybok laughing, the idea of a planet of peace and paradise being a forgotten wasteland with no passion or feeling about it, a well-intentioned but misguided man on a quest to find God and Heaven, the idea that God exists in each of us... it's some great stuff.

The musical score is grand, the direction and cinematography are solid throughout. Far more interesting to look at than the muddy brown TWOK, the sound-stage TSFS, and sitcom TVH. Performances were great, Luckinbill's Sybok was great.

The pain scene? Absolutely superb. McCoy's euthanising his father, Spock facing a prior pain of being rejected by his father, yet in the years since, finding his place with his human friends.

I only wish the idea of a man seeking Heaven, but finding Hell instead, only realising it after he gets there, was kept intact, and properly realised with some real and artistic special effects.

In short, I thoroughly enjoyed the good parts, and lament would could have been.
I completely agree. I wish it had done well enough or had a decent enough reputation (ala TMP) to warrant a special director's cut.

But alas, I don't think that'll happen.

Let's see what's out there...
Kirk1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29 2008, 01:40 AM   #104
Kryton
Admiral

Um...VULCAN NECK PINCH ON A HORSE!

Sorry...there are lots of reasons to dislike this film. Once in a while, one just slips out and forces me to post it.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29 2008, 03:00 AM   #105
Joker
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Joker

That was one element of humour that was actually well done, didn't feel shoe-horned in, and didn't draw attention to itself.

There were other similar instances, McCoy's "I liked him better before he died" was humourous as well. Underplayed, quite funny.