Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Takei Has Growth Removed
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

New Wizkids Attack Wing Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: Grade the movie
Excellent 2 10.53%
Above average 3 15.79%
Average 6 31.58%
Below average 2 10.53%
Poor 6 31.58%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old November 24 2008, 03:42 AM   #16
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Re: Twilight - Movie Discussion and Grading

The thing's already made enough money in the first weekend that sequels are virtually assured.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24 2008, 04:37 AM   #17
FalTorPan
Vice Admiral

It was okay -- not great, but okay. It was far better than I had anticipated. My fiancee had read the books, and she didn't seem to enjoy the movie as much as I did.
Old November 24 2008, 03:36 PM   #18
OmahaStar
Disrespectful of his betters

View OmahaStar's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to OmahaStar Send a message via Yahoo to OmahaStar

I went in with very low expectations. It didn't even meet them. The room was packed, and the audience was laughing almost constantly.

The movie isn't a comedy. They are laughing because it's so bad. It was almost like they took the scene from Star Wars 2 where Ani is saying stuff like "I killed them. I killed them all. They're dead." added in with "Your skin is soft. Not like the sand." and expanded that shit to two hours plus.

In a scene that is supposed to be completely, deadly serious with Eddie glowing, the entire room broke out in hysterical laughter, which continued for the next several minutes.

I'm not sure how anyone can call this "excellent" as it was horrible. There were no redeeming qualities to it. Nothing at all.
Old November 24 2008, 04:56 PM   #19
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

OmahaStar wrote: View Post
The room was packed, and the audience was laughing almost constantly.

The movie isn't a comedy. They are laughing because it's so bad.
I feel inclined to agree with you. My date, 31yr old woman, asked me not once but twice why there were giggles and snickering. She was enjoying the movie.

There was an 11-12yr old girl about 3 seats down and she was giddy the whole time. My answer to my date was that some were likely snickering cause of the cheesiness and some were giggling, like the 11yr old just down from us, because it was just what they imagined.

Personally I was laughing on the inside for just how bad the acting and dialoge was.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24 2008, 09:59 PM   #20
Dream
Admiral

I didn't have any problems with the acting. I wasn't expecting academy award level performances obviously.

I'll admit many of the supporting cast were better then the two leading actors though. The older adult actors that played Charlie (Bella's dad), Billy and Carlisle were the best out of the cast.
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24 2008, 10:27 PM   #21
Thrall
Commodore

Anyone remember when Vampires were scary? Say what you will about Anne Rice, but her vamps were at least evil. I blame Joss Whedon for this. He's the one who invented the cuddly, heroic Vampire in love with a social outcast human(who also happens to be special). I mean, the dude even has Angel's hair! This dynamic has been copied a million times over now, from Underworld to Tru Blood. But at least with those I get to see Rogue's titties and Kate Beckinsale's ass out of it. This movie is to Buffy what Nickelback is to Metallica. It's the watered down, mediocre version of the same damn thing.

And considering how the two lead actors were slagging off the books in interviews, it doesn't surprise me how bad this movie was. My favorite quote was that the books were "The romantic fantasy of a bored Mormon housewife, who is clearly substituting herself for Bella". Or something like that.
Old November 24 2008, 10:50 PM   #22
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

Is this an american thing? I've never heard of it or the books? I saw some posters for it at the Cinema today and it looks like something for the 9-14 crowd? is that the intended audience?
JoeZhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24 2008, 11:04 PM   #23
Dream
Admiral

JoeZhang wrote: View Post
Is this an american thing? I've never heard of it or the books?
It's kind of popular in america. The books are aimed at teens. It's mainly romance with vampires thrown in.
Old November 24 2008, 11:09 PM   #24
Stevil2001
Rear Admiral

io9 has a hilarious compilation of reactions to the books and the movie. My favorite was a list of reasons that the movie was better, most of them being dumb things from the book that didn't make it into the movie.
Old November 24 2008, 11:12 PM   #25
Dream
Admiral

Steve Mollmann wrote: View Post
My favorite was a list of reasons that the movie was better, most of them being dumb things from the book that didn't make it into the movie.
Yeah, I saw that list a few days ago. I agree with it for the most part. There were way too many "EDWARD IS HOT!" paragraphs in the book and the movie managed to cut out much of that. Also the movie has a better climax compared to the book.
Old November 24 2008, 11:14 PM   #26
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

Dream wrote: View Post
It's kind of popular in america. The books are aimed at teens. It's mainly romance with vampires thrown in.
Well its what Stephanie Myers is calling vampires.
No fangs
See their reflection
Can walk in daylight

I've been told that garlic, crosses and silver aren't a factor either.
Meant to ask if a stake in the heart is involved in the Myer-verse regarding "vampires".

I prefer to think of the Cullens and any other "vamps" as really immortal hemophagiacs(blood lusters/drinkers). It's really more applicable.

I am tired of hearing people defend the "vampires" as saying there are no rules for vamps. Sorry but there are some rules. Love it all you like but there are certain rules for vampires. Some flexibility on some lore but the "vamps" here are not vamps...except in name.
Old November 25 2008, 12:24 AM   #27
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

Captain Craig wrote: View Post
Dream wrote: View Post
Well its what Stephanie Myers is calling vampires.
No fangs
See their reflection
Can walk in daylight

I've been told that garlic, crosses and silver aren't a factor either.
Meant to ask if a stake in the heart is involved in the Myer-verse regarding "vampires".

I prefer to think of the Cullens and any other "vamps" as really immortal hemophagiacs(blood lusters/drinkers). It's really more applicable.

I am tired of hearing people defend the "vampires" as saying there are no rules for vamps. Sorry but there are some rules. Love it all you like but there are certain rules for vampires. Some flexibility on some lore but the "vamps" here are not vamps...except in name.
That's a joke right? the "rules" and myths about vampires vary from country to country. There aren't any set rules.
JoeZhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25 2008, 12:30 AM   #28
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

^^^^
No. I'm serious. I understand that from culture to culture the lore has variances. I said as much. I said I understand the flexibility that various incarnations show. Did you take that into account?

By and large however, vampires, do have some fairly "set" rules when portrayed in tv, books and film ever since Bram Stokers. Those have been toyed with and tweaked but largely vamps have in all portrayals had commonality. Frankly the vamps of Twilight barely appear to be branches of the same family tree from other vamps of the last 150yrs in culture reference.
Old November 25 2008, 12:34 AM   #29
ancient
Vice Admiral

Well, these are the Gary Stu Vamps, who are perfect and awesome and HOT and have no weaknesses.

So they're appropriate for this kind of self-insert romantic stuff for the kids.
Old November 25 2008, 02:25 AM   #30
Dream
Admiral

ancient wrote: View Post
Well, these are the Gary Stu Vamps, who are perfect and awesome and HOT and have no weaknesses.
All the female vampires in this series are also supposed to be hot too. It makes me wonder why the vamps haven't taken over everything yet.