Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Star Trek Pop-Ups Book Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Cho: More On Selfie
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old November 24 2008, 08:12 AM   #31
Stevil2001
Rear Admiral

Re: The Map of the 'Verse

Homeworld is a space RTS computer game. I bought it but never got around to playing beyond the first level, but it looked as slick as anything, and I still listen to the soundtrack on occasion.
Old November 24 2008, 03:38 PM   #32
Christopher
Writer

Judging from the text in the map itself, it seems to be from a computer game called Homeworld.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 24 2008, 03:44 PM   #33
Deckerd
Fleet Arse

Except it's not a 'verse. It's not even a 'laxy.
Old November 24 2008, 05:22 PM   #34
Christopher
Writer

Deckerd wrote: View Post
Except it's not a 'verse. It's not even a 'laxy.
It's a 'verse of discourse.

Old November 24 2008, 05:52 PM   #35
Borg451
Captain

is this a proper map? i mean is it it authorised by the Serenity people.. will it be countered in future FF productions? like comics and such?

could someone PM me the answer
Borg451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24 2008, 06:42 PM   #36
Lindley
Moderator with a Soul

Steve Mollmann wrote: View Post
Homeworld is a space RTS computer game. I bought it but never got around to playing beyond the first level, but it looked as slick as anything, and I still listen to the soundtrack on occasion.
Still haven't played the original Homeworld, but Homeworld 2 was a lot of fun. Only RTS I've ever played where you keep the same set of units between levels, *and* (except in the case of forced jumps) automatically collect all resources on a level before moving on.

It's awesome sending a core of Ion Beam Frigates against an enemy Carrier, supplemented by bomber squadrons and a wing of fighters to fly cover for the whole operation.
Lindley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24 2008, 07:13 PM   #37
Stevil2001
Rear Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
Judging from the text in the map itself, it seems to be from a computer game called Homeworld.
Old November 24 2008, 07:19 PM   #38
Christopher
Writer

Borg451 wrote: View Post
is this a proper map? i mean is it it authorised by the Serenity people.. will it be countered in future FF productions? like comics and such?
Does that matter? I don't understand the attitude that there's something wrong with a work of fiction if it isn't consistent with another work of fiction. It's all equally made-up anyway. And it's not as if the FF-verse is particularly consistent within itself, especially where cosmology and physics are concerned. The map is an imaginative and beautiful interpretation of something that's totally imaginary to begin with, and it's a whole lot more self-consistent than its source material. Who cares whether it's "proper" or not? All that should matter about something fictional is whether it's well-done and enjoyable. It's not like you're studying for a test and have to make sure your texts are accurate.

The only "future productions" likely to exist are RPG updates and further comics. It's been stated that future RPG updates will be consistent with this map. As for the comics, if there are any more, it'll be up to their creators whether they want to acknowledge the maps, but I doubt it will become an issue, because the stories in the comics are likely to focus on characters and action, not cartography. As with everything in fiction, they should be free to contradict the maps if that's what the story requires.