TV Alert: Shatner TNG Documentary
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Forbes Cast In Powers
By: T'Bonz on Aug 22

Dorn To Voice Firefly Character

No ALS Ice Bucket For Saldana

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Old November 22 2008, 02:39 AM   #61
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral

Re: Just watched Star Trek V The Final Frontier

Anticitizen wrote: View Post
The Old Mixer wrote: View Post
Ward Fowler wrote: View Post
Well, if you would take the time to actually read my post, you'll see that I pointed out that the ideas might seem weighty to the general summer movie audience, not "go over their heads." Nor did I say that the ideas were "profound".
Ah, semantical quibbling...my biggest turn-off on the Net.
This is not 'semantical quibbling'. This is a case of different words having different meanings. You, however, have twisted the meaning of a word (semantics) to describe something other than its own definition. You have played the semantics game, and therefore are your own biggest turn-off on the net. How's it feel?
Ah, indignant, pseudo-intellectual necro-posting...my new biggest turn-off on the Net.

It's pure luck that I even noticed this post from the main page, I probably haven't been on this forum since around when this thread died. Was that post really only two months ago? Feels like at least six....Ward Fowler took it in stride...give it a rest.
Old November 22 2008, 10:08 PM   #62
Maurice
Vice Admiral

Finnegan wrote: View Post
I remember reading an interview (possibly with Nimoy), and he said that the effects were shoddy because there was some kind of strike/job action going on with the FX people, and they had to make too many compromises in order to get the film to a completed state.
There was no strike that affected the visual effects crews specifically. The shoddy effects were due to the fact that ILM was too busy to take on the project and Paramount gave the gig to Brian Ferren who didn't have a shop already set up to do the kinds of motion control photography required. Add a short schedule and you've got a recipe for crap.
—Glen Larson, 2010
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22 2008, 11:46 PM   #63
DWF
Vice Admiral

trevanian wrote: View Post
Good points, but remember that the earliest Sybok versions had him carrying off a bloody attack, not a casualty-free one, and THEN they started turning him into less of a Khan-type.

As for the laughing ... If they'd cast Max Von Sydow as Sybok (which I think was an early intention), I think he'd have put across the oddness of a vulcan laugh (he can make almost anything effortless, but if you look at his King in CONAN, when that guy laughs it rings false, though that may be the work ethic faltering under the size of the paycheck.)

Klaus Maria Brandauer was I believe another early choice, and while he is awesome in MEPHISTO and keeps NEVER SAY NEVER from disintegrating completely, I don't know that his dimensions would have put across a Vulcan (a Luckinbill problem as well.)

Luckinbill has one moment that works for me (it is the key one) ... when Kirk calls him mad and he reflects a moment ... luckinbill really channels Sean Connery there, and it is unfortunate in a way because it always makes me see how it could have worked with Connery, because Connery is a good actor with star charisma, whereas Luckinbill is a good actor without it, playing onscreen against western world icons.
They meant the role for Sean Connery they even named the planet of Sha Ka Ree was supposedly taken from his name.

http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/Star...nd_Information

The name "Sha Ka Ree" was taken from "Sean Connery", the actor Star Trek producers originally wanted to play Sybok.
--- Harlan Ellison, from his introduction
to the PINNACLE series of Doctor Who books
DWF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23 2008, 01:20 AM   #64
ncc-1017-e
Captain

I love the captains chair in trek 5
Old November 24 2008, 01:44 AM   #65
dave_R_treker
Captain

Overall Star Trek V wasn't a bad movie, it has its problems.
One thing that I didn't like was when Kirk, Spock and McCoy were in the turpo lift shaft. They appeared to be on the lowest deck. But it was saying Deck 1. This can't be so since Deck 1 is the highest deck not the lowest. Another thing that bothered me was during the same scene where the three of them accelerate upwards. They climb many decks reaching all the way to the top of the deck. This really could not happen. It would be impossible to get from the lowest deck to the highest deck without going horizontal down on of the turpolift shafts first.
dave_R_treker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24 2008, 02:57 AM   #66
Kronos
Admiral

I've always thought there was a turbo shaft that ran from the engineering hull straight up the dorsal into the saucer.

Certainly not 78 decks though.
Old November 24 2008, 04:18 AM   #67
FalTorPan
Vice Admiral

The Trekkie Techie in me loathes the turbolift scene, but I can understand its comedic intent. The idea of the deck numbers increasing as you ascend was probably a deliberate decision on Shatner's part, with the rationalization that most theater-goers don't know about the reversed deck numbering scheme used aboard ships.
Old November 24 2008, 04:50 AM   #68
ncc-1017-e
Captain

dave_R_treker wrote: View Post
Overall Star Trek V wasn't a bad movie, it has its problems.
One thing that I didn't like was when Kirk, Spock and McCoy were in the turpo lift shaft. They appeared to be on the lowest deck. But it was saying Deck 1. This can't be so since Deck 1 is the highest deck not the lowest. Another thing that bothered me was during the same scene where the three of them accelerate upwards. They climb many decks reaching all the way to the top of the deck. This really could not happen. It would be impossible to get from the lowest deck to the highest deck without going horizontal down on of the turpolift shafts first.
So true but on real ocean going vessels deck 1 is the lowest deck on the ship! Just a thought! It builds from deck 1 and goes up!
Old November 24 2008, 05:10 PM   #69
Peach Wookiee
Cuddly Mod of Doom

I watched TFF the other night and I remembered why I love this movie. It was fun.
Peach Wookiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24 2008, 10:55 PM   #70
RobertScorpio
Pariah

Peach Wookiee wrote: View Post
I watched TFF the other night and I remembered why I love this movie. It was fun.
You just nailed it, Wookie...It was "FUN". Can anyone say the same of INSURRECTION or NEMESIS? I have Nemesis on DVD but I haven't watched it once. I don't want to waste two hours of my life watching it again..twice in the movies was torture enough...

But, every few months or so, I'll break out STAR TREK V for the family, and we all like it because it is...fun. And I don't care what anyone else says, I think Lukinbill nailed it as Sybok because he doesn't seem like a Vulcan...at all...Which is, to me, the point of his character...

Good fun...and for that I rate it above NEMESIS and INSURRECTION

Rob
scorpio
RobertScorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25 2008, 05:01 AM   #71
gomtuu20
Commander

If you ignore the childish, insultingly stupid script, the half-brother who magically appears, fire extinguisher anti-gravity boots, bad acting, cheesy fx (just how far can a shuttle slide while going 2mph?), a loyal crew that immediately muntinied just because someone helped them with a little bit of their psychic pain (last time they were at least under the influence of spores), a fat woman in her sixties supposedly seducing with a fan dance (did she just happen to have a pair of fans in her cabin?) and Spock camping then this is a great movie. Several years ago I asked Tekei if Paramount had ever considered doing an Area 51-style cover up and pretend the movie didn't exist. He said that V:FF shows how Paramount thought they could put any cheap piece of garbage out and still make money from it if they stamped "Star Trek" on it. This was not only the worst of all the Trek movies, it was one of the worst movies ever made. Of any genre. It's like the Uncle that takes his pants off when you have a group of friends over. It's embarrassing when it is aired and people know you're a Trekker. It was just such a disapointment.
gomtuu20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25 2008, 06:13 AM   #72
Lowdarzz
Captain

While TFF is not my favorite Trek film I still enjoy it immensely because it is one of the best character pieces that Trek has produced.

On the other hand I really wish paramount had give Shatner the money to do his directors cut back when the special edition came out. Surprisingly the effects are the only thing in the film that really bug me.
Lowdarzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25 2008, 06:13 AM   #73
Peach Wookiee
Cuddly Mod of Doom

Those were palm leaves, gomtuu20 and Uhura is not fat.
Peach Wookiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25 2008, 06:40 AM   #74
Nebusj
Rear Admiral

View Nebusj's Twitter Profile

gomtuu20 wrote: View Post
This was not only the worst of all the Trek movies, it was one of the worst movies ever made. Of any genre.
I know that the Internet is a high-capacity means of transmitting outrage from one person to another, but, could we have the hyperbole trimmed down to merely absurdly excessive, please? It's not even in the bottom quartile of movies; if you think it is, you need to watch more movies.
Nebusj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25 2008, 06:41 AM   #75
FalTorPan
Vice Admiral

Star Trek V is better than Insurrection and Nemesis.