IDW Publishing January Comics
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

View Poll Results: Grade "Star Trek: Destiny: Mere Mortals"
Excellent 98 77.78%
Above Average 15 11.90%
Average 10 7.94%
Below Average 1 0.79%
Poor 2 1.59%
Voters: 126. You may not vote on this poll

Old November 17 2008, 07:44 PM   #181
ronny
Fleet Captain

View ronny's Twitter Profile
Re: Star Trek: Destiny: Mere Mortals - SPOILER Thread

Finished this a few days ago but haven't been near a computer. What a great book. I'm really looking forward to the next one. I can't think of any weak parts but I think my favorite was the Enterprise/Avantine visiting the other ends of the worm holes, all good stiff in different ways.

On a totally unrelated note I'm bummed I can't see who voted how in this poll like I can for the first book, I just want to verify who thinks it's awful. And I'm really looking forward to the third book, so many cliff hangers.

My Star Trek reading progress.
ronny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17 2008, 08:04 PM   #182
Dayton3
Admiral

To me the introduction of the race that apparently wiped out thousands of Borg ships in the past and still hate the Borg is setting up a classic
"deux ex machina" I think it is called.

Some way in book #3, this previously unheard of power is going to annihilate the Borg force invading the Alpha and Beta Quadrants.
Dayton3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17 2008, 08:47 PM   #183
David Mack
Writer

View David Mack's Twitter Profile

ronny wrote: View Post
Finished this a few days ago but haven't been near a computer. What a great book.
Thanks!

The answer had best be coded as a spoiler, too, methinks:

And I'm really looking forward to the third book, so many cliff hangers.
Then I've done my job.

Dayton3 wrote: View Post
To me the introduction of the race that apparently wiped out thousands of Borg ships in the past and still hate the Borg is setting up a classic "deux ex machina" I think it is called.

Some way in book #3, this previously unheard of power is going to annihilate the Borg force invading the Alpha and Beta Quadrants.
Two words: EPIC FAIL.

Join me on Facebook & Twitter
David Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17 2008, 09:42 PM   #184
Rosalind
TrekLit's Dr Rose Mod

On a totally unrelated note I'm bummed I can't see who voted how in this poll like I can for the first book, I just want to verify who thinks it's awful. And I'm really looking forward to the third book, so many cliff hangers.
That's because I'm too lazy to fix it for this thread, since it took a few steps to do it for the first thread. I like having the votes visible too, so there's no way people can vote 'terrible' before the book comes out.
Rosalind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17 2008, 11:01 PM   #185
ronny
Fleet Captain

View ronny's Twitter Profile

Rosalind wrote: View Post
I like having the votes visible too, so there's no way people can vote 'terrible' before the book comes out.

And thanks David for the answer, I was pretty sure I more or less had, just wanted to make sure and it helped seeing it summed up in a couple of sentences.

I kind of stopped reading this thread a couple pages in since there seemed to be a alot of thought about how things are resolved in the final book and I don't want to go into the last book with any pre-conceived ideas about how it's supposed to end, except for my own.

My Star Trek reading progress.
ronny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18 2008, 03:23 AM   #186
Dayton3
Admiral

David Mack wrote: View Post
Finished this a few days ago but haven't been near a computer. What a great book.
Thanks!

The answer had best be coded as a spoiler, too, methinks:

And I'm really looking forward to the third book, so many cliff hangers.
Then I've done my job.

To me the introduction of the race that apparently wiped out thousands of Borg ships in the past and still hate the Borg is setting up a classic "deux ex machina" I think it is called.

Two words: EPIC FAIL.
Then I shall look forward to the resolution.
Dayton3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18 2008, 04:54 AM   #187
KRAD
Keith R.A. DeCandido

View KRAD's Twitter Profile

To me the introduction of the race that apparently wiped out thousands of Borg ships in the past and still hate the Borg is setting up a classic
"deux ex machina" I think it is called.
Close: it's "deus ex machina," which is Latin for "god from a machine." It derives from Greco-Roman theatre where a god would be introduced into the play to resolve the entanglements.

It has come to refer to "any artificial or improbable device resolving the difficulties of a plot," as defined by Dictionary.com.

"Even when you turn your back, you're facing something."
KRAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23 2008, 02:43 AM   #188
foravalon
Fleet Captain

Christopher wrote: View Post
Sto-Vo-Kory wrote: View Post
The Tholian ambassador mentioned something about the Taurus reach -- is this a New Frontier reference?
No, Vanguard. The turbulent history between the Federation and Tholians in the Taurus Reach is spelled out in that series.
This scene was a little disheartening. I wanted to be caught up on my D-Mack readings before beginning Destiny so I made sure to read Reap the Whirlwind immediately before starting the epic. Being a peace-nik my heart was warmed by the events of Whirlwind regarding the Tholians and Starfleet. The fact that Tholians maintained embassies at places like Deep Space Nine well into the 24th century, in my eyes, leaned in the direction of better relations between the UFP and the Tholians. Having the "sins of the Taurus Reach" brought up so far in the future doesn't really bode well for events in the intervening years.
foravalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23 2008, 10:20 PM   #189
My2tailwaggers
Lieutenant

As a lurker who ususually just hides and reads everyone elses great posts... I just had to come out of hiding to express how much I am enjoying this series! I enjoy reading all of the Star Trek books.. very much so.. but this series is just exceptional! I love the Erika Hernandez storyline, the flashbacks, Dax, Titan.. well, just everything. I also think the Borg make great villians for such a large cast in these books. Great work! I cant wait for the third installment due out soon.. but not soon enough!
My2tailwaggers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23 2008, 10:32 PM   #190
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

foravalon wrote: View Post
Having the "sins of the Taurus Reach" brought up so far in the future doesn't really bode well for events in the intervening years.
Not necessarily. Some cultures today have long cultural memories, where the slights and evils of the past centuries gone are still present for them today. Look especially at Middle Eastern cultures, where a schism over a millennia ago still causes trouble between Shia and Sunni. Just because the Tholians, as a whole, may have made peace with the Federation (hence, embassies), individual Tholians may still harbor grudges and resentments against the Federation that go back centuries.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24 2008, 02:54 AM   #191
foravalon
Fleet Captain

/\ Now That I can totally buy. It seems a lot more plausible too that Tezrene maight be a special sort of case, much like Lt. Stiles from "Balance of Terror" holding on to centuries-old enmities for fairly personal reasons.
foravalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24 2008, 03:42 AM   #192
Stevil2001
Rear Admiral

Or he(?) might not even actually care, but likes bringing it up to score points.
Old November 24 2008, 05:34 AM   #193
KRAD
Keith R.A. DeCandido

View KRAD's Twitter Profile

Tezrene is a she.

"Even when you turn your back, you're facing something."
KRAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24 2008, 05:42 PM   #194
Luminus
Fleet Captain

Strider wrote: View Post
What a cool book. I caught the references to the starships Saladin and T'Kumbra toward the end there. Guess it's probably curtains for Captain Solok and the Logicians. I'm also really liking this Captain Dax all the sudden. With everything going to hell, she basically told Picard that she was going to head straight into the worst of it and go after the Borg Queen and he can try and keep up. Pretty badass.
Pretty stupid, you mean. There's nothing badass about taking a rusty knife to a machine gun fight.

All in all, I don't understand why people keep saying that they're tired of the Borg. Why aren't you tired of the Kilingons? Why aren't you tired of the Vulcans? Why aren't you tired of the Romulans? It just makes no sense to me at all.

This book was so damn good, the second I finished it Sunday, I went to Amazon.com and ordered the third one. This is the kind of thing we should have seen on television. A full scale Borg invasion.

What I want to know though, is who is the Child of the Storm? Is that a throwaway species or are they relevant to the story?

By the way, that scene with the green-skinned Takaran woman taking out the 2 Hirogen warriors was sick-cool!

"The Face of Boe they called me."
Luminus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24 2008, 06:01 PM   #195
Christopher
Writer

Luminus wrote: View Post
I'm also really liking this Captain Dax all the sudden. With everything going to hell, she basically told Picard that she was going to head straight into the worst of it and go after the Borg Queen and he can try and keep up. Pretty badass.
Pretty stupid, you mean. There's nothing badass about taking a rusty knife to a machine gun fight.
"Rusty knife?" What are you talking about? The Aventine is Starfleet's most advanced vessel, even more so than Titan and considerably more so than Enterprise. It's a test bed for prototype technologies nobody else has. It's also a large ship, smaller than Enterprise but considerably bigger than Titan (at least going by its crew capacity, which is twice Titan's).

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote