USS Vengeance And More Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Trek 3 To Being Shooting Next Year
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Trek Messenger Bag
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

Star Trek Live In Concert In Australia
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

View Poll Results: Grade Lost Souls
Excellent 130 72.22%
Above Average 35 19.44%
Average 12 6.67%
Below Average 1 0.56%
Poor 2 1.11%
Voters: 180. You may not vote on this poll

Old November 21 2008, 06:27 AM   #76
David Mack
Writer

View David Mack's Twitter Profile
Re: Star Trek: Destiny: Lost Souls - Discuss/Grade

Julio Angel Ortiz wrote: View Post
The captain of the other ship (the one named after the samurai... can't remember right now)... had we seen him before?
Yes, Captain Alex Terapane and his ship, the U.S.S. Musashi, appeared in the second book of my A Time to... duology, A Time to Heal.

Gods of Night also made other allusions to Heal and its predecessor, A Time to Kill; e.g., the mention of the loss of the U.S.S. Amargosa.

Also, the incident in Gods of Night with the U.S.S. Ranger was a nod to my New Frontier short story, "Waiting for G'Doh..."

Join me on Facebook & Twitter
David Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21 2008, 06:36 AM   #77
Julio Angel Ortiz
Fleet Captain

^ Gracias, amigo!
Old November 21 2008, 07:05 AM   #78
FrontLine
Nekkid Hedonistic Ethical Slut

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to FrontLine

KRAD wrote: View Post
FrontLine wrote: View Post
Oh and I have a few days to burn while stuck in frigid Utah, anyone have any recommendations as to what to read?
I recommend my own Articles of the Federation, which shows the first year of the Bacco Administration. (Which ends on a hopeful note, something I did not knowing what Dave was going to do to her during the first two months of her second year.... )
Been there, done that, bought the t-shit (and thoroughly enjoyed it too). In fact I am currenlty recycling my book collection and read it again a few weeks ago.

casey wrote: View Post
Thanks for the good read and for keeping me busy during my travels. Oh and I have a few days to burn while stuck in frigid Utah, anyone have any recommendations as to what to read?
Funny, I was just thinking how surprisingly warm it had been here during the last week.
I'm from Florida. Unlike a certain Florida ex-pat author, if the temps dip below 76 I start to whine. Oh while Im up here, any hints of stuff I should do instead of dying of boredom in my hotel room?

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "Holy shit, what a ride!"

"Im happier than a tornado in a trailer park" - Tow Mater - Cars
FrontLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21 2008, 07:10 AM   #79
David Mack
Writer

View David Mack's Twitter Profile

KRAD wrote: View Post
I recommend my own Articles of the Federation, which shows the first year of the Bacco Administration. (Which ends on a hopeful note, something I did not knowing what Dave was going to do to her during the first two months of her second year.... )
Been there, done that, bought the t-shit
QFT!

Join me on Facebook & Twitter
David Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21 2008, 08:28 AM   #80
bennyrex
Lieutenant

A review... well... a response. I don't trust myself to write any sort of critical review the way I'm feeling right now. Before I get into spoilers, I want to share a story with anyone who isn't sure whether they want to read this trilogy or not. Now, I *am* an emotional person, but I've never experienced anything like this while reading a book.

I was reading a key sequence of the book on the subway. It was the sequence involving five planets. I was drawn into the book so intensely and so violently, I have no memory whatsoever what was going on in the real world. I got to the end of the sequence where there was some breathing room. I felt myself physically coming back into the real world from the Star Trek world I was experiencing. As this was happening, I heard someone near me say. "Wow. That was so cute". I looked up, and everyone I looked at was either staring at me, or darting their eyes away so that they wouldn't look like they were staring at me. I have no idea whatsoever what I did while I was reading to garner such attention. No clue. But I've never been the centre of attention on the subway before either consciously or unconsciously like that... that's how affected I was. Go read this book! It's one of a kind.

Alright, that's my emotional written outpouring. OH!

I almost forgot!

David - You got to talk to Geddy Lee? AWESOME! And he's reading/read the trilogy? (at least that's what I got from the acknowledgments...) AMAZING!

I can not WAIT to read all the follow-ups that are coming out over the next year. I'm watching the Star Trek world grow and change, and I love what I'm seeing, the directions things are going in. This is a world I know I'm going to continue to be amazed by as more and more adventures unfold.

Last edited by bennyrex; November 21 2008 at 09:43 PM. Reason: grammar error.
bennyrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21 2008, 03:38 PM   #81
JD
Admiral

I have a quick spoilery question, and I'm just looking for a general answer here, nothing to specific. Is the huge impact this has simply the amount of destruction the Borg cause, or is there something big that happens in the story, other than what's been mentioned here?
Old November 21 2008, 03:41 PM   #82
Dimesdan
Rear Admiral

Location: The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Dimesdan

Would I be right in thinking that my prediction several months ago that the entire Sol System would be destroyed was a bit off base?
Dimesdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21 2008, 04:09 PM   #83
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

Dimesdan wrote: View Post
Would I be right in thinking that my prediction several months ago that the entire Sol System would be destroyed was a bit off base?

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21 2008, 04:35 PM   #84
Christopher
Writer

bennyrex wrote: View Post
I had been looking forward to 'Greater than the Sum' ever since I learned Bennett would be writing a book with the Borg, because I thought that would be how Christopher would tackle the Borg. That he'd find the creative peacemakers solution. When the ending to that was essentially destroying the Borg threat, I thought "Man, if Chris can't find a non-violent way of handling the Borg, no one can."
Well, keep in mind that I already knew what Dave was doing in Destiny, so I had to do something different. Plus,

I will say that writing the combat scenes was a very unpleasant experience for me; I don't like getting into the heads of protagonists who are killing people. So it's not an experience I'm eager to repeat anytime soon. I think you'll find Over a Torrent Sea a sufficiently nonviolent reading experience.

JD wrote: View Post
I have a quick spoilery question, and I'm just looking for a general answer here, nothing to specific. Is the huge impact this has simply the amount of destruction the Borg cause, or is there something big that happens in the story, other than what's been mentioned here?
There are a number of major developments aside from destruction, both on a galactic and a personal level.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21 2008, 04:41 PM   #85
casey
Lieutenant Commander

I'm from Florida. Unlike a certain Florida ex-pat author, if the temps dip below 76 I start to whine. Oh while Im up here, any hints of stuff I should do instead of dying of boredom in my hotel room?
Ah, that explains. I lived in Florida for a while and it took forever to adjust when I came back here.

I believe some of the ski resorts are open now if you are into skiing.

Everyone is talking about how awesome the body worlds exhibit in Salt Lake is: http://www.bodyworlds.com/en.html, if you want to look at dead bodies.

When I am in Salt Lake I always have to make a point of visiting The Bayou http://www.xmission.com/~bayou/home.php for live Jazz and great food.

Then there is always hanging out in Park City. It is worth the trip to hit the restaurants and galleries on main street, not to mention that it is a beautiful setting. But very cold!

And if you like football I believe today is the huge BYU/U of Utah game.

Finally, you could always visit down town Salt Lake and see all of the historical things there.

All of this assumes, of course, that you are on the Wasatch front.

ANYHOW so that I don't get accused of derailing this topic, I will answer JD's question:
I think it is a combination of the massive destruction and death--particularly for the main characters who have lost loved ones--and

EDIT: And apparently I took too long typing this as Christopher beat me to JD's question. . .
Old November 21 2008, 05:11 PM   #86
Lonemagpie
Writer

Christopher wrote: View Post
I will say that writing the combat scenes was a very unpleasant experience for me; I don't like getting into the heads of protagonists who are killing people.
I always find it cathartic to fictionally slaughter hordes of whoever.

But then, I've worked in retail...

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21 2008, 05:53 PM   #87
Dimesdan
Rear Admiral

Location: The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Dimesdan

Lonemagpie wrote: View Post
Christopher wrote: View Post
I will say that writing the combat scenes was a very unpleasant experience for me; I don't like getting into the heads of protagonists who are killing people.
I always find it cathartic to fictionally slaughter hordes of whoever.

But then, I've worked in retail...
Yes. Retail does do that to people!
Dimesdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21 2008, 06:02 PM   #88
Ace Of Hearts
Cadet

First time poster, long time lurker. Hi all. Help a fellow fan out?

I plan on buying Lost Souls. However, I have to wait three weeks until I get paid again to buy it. There is only one thing I really can't wait that long to know about it. I've had a favorite TNG character for quite some time, and all I want to know is what happens to her/with her in this book.

Spoil me about Beverly, please?
Ace Of Hearts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21 2008, 06:05 PM   #89
casey
Lieutenant Commander

After she is assimilated she comes to an unfortunate end after Picard is forced the shoot her with a machine gun as in First Contact.

Actually
Old November 21 2008, 06:44 PM   #90
Stephen!
Captain

What was the reason for the change in the Borg, to go from assimilation to killing and mass murder of entire populations?
Stephen! is offline   Reply With Quote