Voyager Bridge Via The Oculus Rift
By: T'Bonz on Apr 21

Miles Away Glyph Award Nominations
By: T'Bonz on Apr 21

Q Meets NuTrek Crew
By: T'Bonz on Apr 18

Pine In Talks For Drama
By: T'Bonz on Apr 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

View Poll Results: Grade the movie...
Excellent 31 22.30%
Above Average 58 41.73%
Average 32 23.02%
Below Average 12 8.63%
Poor 6 4.32%
Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

Old November 19 2008, 05:28 PM   #196
MyCylon
Rear Admiral

Re: Quantum of Solace - Grading & Discussion

Lonemagpie wrote: View Post
Michelle Yeoh *was* asked back to play Wai Lin in Die Another Day (she would have combined the role Chang and the Chinese girl have in the hotel in Hong Kong) but wasn't available on the filming dates.
Interesting. I didn't realize that. That's a mixed bag for me. On the one hand, I really love the character of Wai Lin (one of the best Bond girls IMHO). On the other hand, I can't stand DOD. And I doubt her inclusion would have made that much of a difference to the film as a whole since it would have been a relatively small part the way you describe it IIRC.
Old November 19 2008, 08:08 PM   #197
Sheliak
Commodore

So, did we ever find out what the secret organization was?

I mean other than a cheap rip-off of Munich.
Sheliak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19 2008, 08:38 PM   #198
I Grok Spock
Fleet Captain

CorporalClegg wrote: View Post
trevanian wrote: View Post
so McClory had EVERY right to SPECTRE and Blofeld.
But I just don't see how. All third party accounts and evidence over the years have suggested Witthingham and McClory's actual contribution was limited and that all the parts in question (SPECTRE and Blofeld, for instance) were part of Fleming's original short story. If it had been dragged out in court, there's little doubt Fleming would have one. He was simply too ill to bother and acquiesced.

Really, it was nothing more than piss-ant of a man trying to take advantage of an unfortunate situation and make a career for himself.. In fact, I'll even put it to the court that had Fleming been younger and of better health, McClory would've just stayed home--or gone back to holding the microphones.

In any case, the issue is really over the Thunderball property itself which, by default, includes SPECTRE. However, one could easily argue Blofeld is not conclusive.

He isn't actually called "Blofeld, nor had he been on film to that date.

All there was was a couple of hands and a cat. Hell, people can't even agree on who provided the voice. So, if EON were to go ahead and make him the King of Quantum, I don't think there'd be anything anyone could say about it. And, it's not as if McClory is going to come back from the afterlife.
I love Fleming's Bond novels, and have great respect for his inimitable style. However, I think your bash of McClory is unfair, and Fleming really did make a tremendous mistake in not acknowledging or compensating him for his contributions to what became the Thunderball novel. The 1959-1960 effort in developing the Thunderball screenplay as the first Bond film was a collaborative effort between Fleming, McClory, Whittingham and Cuneo. The Thunderball script was shelved in favor of Dr. No, and Fleming made a decision that was to haunt him for the rest of his sadly short life: publishing the book with no compensation or acknowedgement of McClory or Whittingham's contributions. If he had done the right thing and bought out McClory and Whittingham's rights to Thunderball prior to publishing the novel he would have saved himself and EON much future grief. I do think McClory & Sony overreached in their final lawsuit by trying to sue for compensation for McClory having created "the cinematic Bond" and asking for payment from profits of the entire series. But, it should also be noted that the suit was dismissed on the grounds that he took too long to bring it to court, not that it had no merit.

Of course, EON still owns the celluloid of Thunderball, and now MGM owns Never Say Never Again. It seems that there is ambiguity if the McClory estate still owns rights to the Thunderball script and its contents. Sony settled with MGM (and in a twist worthy of Hollywood, ended up owning Bond's distribution rights via MGM) and so it appears McClory's renewed claim of rights to yet another remake of Thunderball was never decided. It also seems that EON/MGM/Sony do not want to run the risk of opening a can of worms to resolve this ambiguity as they have repeatedly declined to ever use SPECTRE or Blofeld again, even in the recent video game version of From Russia With Love. As an epilogue, it should be noted that Sony's distro rights to Bond ended with Quantum of Solace (see, on topic!) so who knows what the future holds.

Links of interest:

A good summary of events from Universal Exports.

Another summary of events.

McClory's side of the story (via the Internet Archive, as the site is now defunct).

"The Battle for Bond" an excellent book on the creation of the Bond film series, sadly in printing limbo as evidently anything that even touches Thunderball is cursed (e.g. the newspaper strip). Copies may still be available out there somewhere.
Old November 19 2008, 09:33 PM   #199
Orac Zen
Mischief Manager

Dream wrote: View Post
[...] there was way TOO much action and not enough plot.
Pretty much what I thought. Not a terrible movie by any means but nothing outstanding, either. I consider CR overrated but it's much better than this.

Judi Dench is marvellous as usual (then again I'd watch her reading a phone book so that's not saying much), and she and Craig work well together.

That's about all I have to say about QoS.
Old November 19 2008, 09:35 PM   #200
Good Will Riker
Admiral

Indysolo wrote: View Post
Sheliak wrote: View Post
Where is the Martini, shaken not stirred?
He had 6 of them on the airplane.

And just for the record, Roger Moore, though he was in seven Bond adventures, never once ordered that drink.

Neil
Actually, Agent XXX ordered a martini for Roger Moore's Bond in The Spy Who Loved Me while delivering the line "Vodka martini. Shaken, not stirred."
Good Will Riker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19 2008, 09:51 PM   #201
Indysolo
Fleet Captain

Thus, he didn't order it, which is what I said.

He ordered a "Bacardi on the rocks" for her.

Neil
Old November 19 2008, 11:20 PM   #202
Sheliak
Commodore

Quantum of Solace Bond is more like a Russian Agent.

Forgive me Commrade.
Sheliak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20 2008, 12:16 AM   #203
RoJoHen
Awesome

Neil
Bacardi on the rocks?

That sounds absolutely disgusting, and something no woman would ever order.
Old November 20 2008, 01:33 AM   #204
trevanian
Rear Admiral

I Grok

"[URL="http://www.007magazine.co.uk/battle_for_bond.htm" wrote:

The Battle for Bond[/URL]" an excellent book on the creation of the Bond film series, sadly in printing limbo as evidently anything that even touches Thunderball is cursed (e.g. the newspaper strip). Copies may still be available out there somewhere.
I read it was being reissued but with certain parts deleted due to legal decree ... which I guess means it is even more essential to find the original edition by whatever means possible.
trevanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20 2008, 01:53 AM   #205
LightSith
Lieutenant Commander

RoJoHen wrote: View Post

Neil
Bacardi on the rocks?

Well, I dated a latina... and I've gotta say you'd be surprised. Those girls are made of fire and would drink that without blinking.
LightSith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20 2008, 04:24 AM   #206
RoJoHen
Awesome

LightSith wrote: View Post
RoJoHen wrote: View Post

Neil
Bacardi on the rocks?

Well, I dated a latina... and I've gotta say you'd be surprised. Those girls are made of fire and would drink that without blinking.
Perhaps.

I am usually impressed with any woman who orders alcohol without a mixer. I can't even do that without gagging.
Old November 20 2008, 09:22 PM   #207
TheArsenal
Rear Admiral

I enjoyed this a great deal. It misfired in places; the editing of some of the actions shots has been discussed at length, but it is a solid follow up to the excellent CR. What we're getting is Bond, the realized character, instead of Bond the Action Quip Machine. Don't get me wrong, I own every film, and throw them in when I'm bored; I like the Action Quip Machine a lot. This, however, is better.

"F*** you! That's my name. You know why mister? 'Cause you drove a Hyundai to get here tonight. I drove an eighty thousand dollar BMW. That's my name."
TheArsenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21 2008, 01:10 AM   #208
Barbados Slim
Rear Admiral

And just for the record, Roger Moore, though he was in seven Bond adventures, never once ordered that drink.

Neil
He had six Vesper's. The bartender quoted the recipe and was peeling lemons.
Barbados Slim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21 2008, 02:16 AM   #209
RoJoHen
Awesome

I hope he drinks a different martini in each movie. I like talking about bar recipes.
Old November 21 2008, 02:55 AM   #210
Indysolo
Fleet Captain

Barbados Slim wrote: View Post

Neil
He had six Vesper's. The bartender quoted the recipe and was peeling lemons.
Which is a martini, so again, I'm correct.

Neil