RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 137,906
Posts: 5,330,783
Members: 24,558
Currently online: 604
Newest member: laurah2215

TrekToday headlines

Retro Review: Inquisition
By: Michelle on Jul 12

Cubify Star Trek 3DMe Mini Figurines
By: T'Bonz on Jul 11

Latest Official Starships Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Jul 10

Seven of Nine Bobble Head
By: T'Bonz on Jul 9

Pegg The Prankster
By: T'Bonz on Jul 9

More Trek Stars Join Unbelievable!!!!!
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Voyager

Voyager There's coffee in this forum!

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old November 20 2008, 01:54 PM   #1
Boy Wonder
Lieutenant
 
Kes on Acid

I'm curious to know why rumours started spreading that the reason why Jennifer Lien left the show was due to substance abuse and was fired as a result. I think I read about it on IMDB. Also, were these rumours specifically around her departure or after she left or did people hear rumours even before they knew she was going to be fired.
Boy Wonder is offline  
Old November 20 2008, 02:51 PM   #2
exodus
Fleet Admiral
 
Location: The Digital Garden
Re: Kes on Acid

You're stirring up a pot of trouble.
__________________
A Tiger doesn't loose sleep over the opinion of sheep.
exodus is offline  
Old November 20 2008, 03:03 PM   #3
Boy Wonder
Lieutenant
 
Re: Kes on Acid

Why is it a pot of trouble? It's just a rumour. So did it start long before her departure or was it some vicious smear campaign on Jennifer Lien?
Boy Wonder is offline  
Old November 20 2008, 04:18 PM   #4
exodus
Fleet Admiral
 
Location: The Digital Garden
Re: Kes on Acid

Boy Wonder wrote: View Post
Why is it a pot of trouble? It's just a rumour. So did it start long before her departure or was it some vicious smear campaign on Jennifer Lien?
Because certain Kes fans are very sensitive about the issue.

Many can't distinguish "rumor" doesn't equal "fact", not to mention Kes post are always controversial being that Jen Lien has been the only actress to be "let go" from Trek.

There have been many rumors on why Lien was let go, unfortunately nobody knows for sure what the exact reason is. Everybody just has a theory.

There is no confromation on the drug rumor. All I can say having met Lien myself along with many others that have and agree, that Mrs. Lien does behave rather "oddly" in person. I think that's what fueled the rumors. Lien is also rumored to be very nervous in crowds, so she could be taking something to help her anxiety which causes her to come across as loopy.

However once again, I can't confirm or deny the rumors. Jen Lien's personal life isn't my business.

I will say this, posting the title "Kes on Acid" just might get you allot of negitive attention.
__________________
A Tiger doesn't loose sleep over the opinion of sheep.
exodus is offline  
Old November 20 2008, 05:42 PM   #5
kimc
Coffee Mod
 
Location: Minneapolis, MN USA
Re: Kes on Acid

exodus wrote: View Post
Many can't distinguish "rumor" doesn't equal "fact", not to mention Kes post are always controversial being that Jen Lien has been the only actress to be "let go" from Trek.
Tone it down. Personally, I have more faith in our resident Kes fans.

As far as the rumor goes I've yet to see anyone prove it.
__________________
I'm certainly less inclined to bash Voyager now, it is not nearly as bad a show as many people make it out to be. - TheGodBen

Avatar by B'Elanna.
kimc is offline  
Old November 20 2008, 06:08 PM   #6
billcosby
Commodore
 
billcosby's Avatar
 
Location: billcosby
Re: Kes on Acid

I had just assumed that the Kes character didn't resonate as the producers had liked, and replaced with Seven of Nine which was a retooling attempt to help sagging ratings.

Personally, I find Seven more exciting than Kes. But the argument for drug abuse makes it rather ridiculous when you consider Kes appeared in one or two flashback-y episodes afterwards. Didn't she? One where she was "evil" and another when the ship was split into different timezones?
__________________
My 1st Edition TrekCCG virtual expansion: http://billcosbytrekccg.blogspot.com/

billcosby is offline  
Old November 20 2008, 06:10 PM   #7
RoJoHen
Awesome
 
RoJoHen's Avatar
 
Location: QC, IL, USA
Re: Kes on Acid

kimc wrote: View Post
exodus wrote: View Post
Many can't distinguish "rumor" doesn't equal "fact", not to mention Kes post are always controversial being that Jen Lien has been the only actress to be "let go" from Trek.
Tone it down. Personally, I have more faith in our resident Kes fans.

As far as the rumor goes I've yet to see anyone prove it.
Jennifer Lien is one of my friend's cousins, and she says it's false.
__________________
I am the Quintessential Admiral.
RoJoHen is offline  
Old November 20 2008, 06:26 PM   #8
Plecostomus
Commodore
 
Location: Official forum sex god
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Plecostomus
Re: Kes on Acid

I love how anytime anyone acts a little outside "the norm" people automatically assume it's drugs.

People cannot have quirky personalities anymore just on their own "there must be drugs involved" hmm?

I have a friend who has a bit of a nervous condition triggered by social settings. Makes him fidget and shake. Great worker, helped train me. New supervisor got ahold of him and let him go for "suspected drug use" because he wouldn't stop fidgeting in a tense situation.

*shakes head* Jenifer Lien could have been "let go" for any number of reasons and honestly it just doesn't matter. I'm not a big fan of her work on Voyager but honestly this sort of speculation is... pointless.
Plecostomus is offline  
Old November 20 2008, 06:48 PM   #9
exodus
Fleet Admiral
 
Location: The Digital Garden
Re: Kes on Acid

kimc wrote: View Post
exodus wrote: View Post
Many can't distinguish "rumor" doesn't equal "fact", not to mention Kes post are always controversial being that Jen Lien has been the only actress to be "let go" from Trek.
Tone it down. Personally, I have more faith in our resident Kes fans.
We shall see.
__________________
A Tiger doesn't loose sleep over the opinion of sheep.
exodus is offline  
Old November 20 2008, 06:50 PM   #10
propita
Rear Admiral
 
Location: fresno, ca, us
Re: Kes on Acid

Gee, for someone who might "fidget" or whatever in tense situations, she did one sweet job on the show. Kes was usually a pretty-under-control character (well, except for "Fury" and that episode where Kes was taken over by that despot--and she was fan-tas-tic in that).

I think the studio and/or producers and/or writers really screwed over the show in general and many cast members in particular.
propita is offline  
Old November 20 2008, 09:01 PM   #11
Miss Chicken
Little three legged cat with attitude
 
Miss Chicken's Avatar
 
Location: Howrah, Hobart, Tasmania
Re: Kes on Acid

I have an intense dislike of the character Kes (because I think she is sickly sweet) but I have nothing personally against the actress Jennifer Lien. There used to be one poster who was very upset over Lien's "brutal firing" but I suspect that Lien got over her dismissal a great deal quicker than that member did - at least I hope she did otherwise I would say she had emotional issues that needed to be redress.

I can't say all that much about Jennifer's acting ability. I don't think she really had enough skill to pull the character of Kes off as well as a more experience actress would have but this was her first major acting role so I can give her a little leanway. I thought she was OK in American History X which is the only other role I have seen her in.

I don't care if Lien had a drug problem or not. Plenty of people in the business have substance issues and to me it is a non-issue if she did. I don't care about actors personal lives , all the matters to me is how they come across on the screen.

All that said I must admit I found Lien's voice annoying and I can't understand why other people liked her voice so much.
Miss Chicken is online now  
Old November 20 2008, 09:01 PM   #12
davidant32
Commodore
 
davidant32's Avatar
 
Re: Kes on Acid

billcosby wrote: View Post
...when you consider Kes appeared in one or two flashback-y episodes afterwards. Didn't she? One where she was "evil" and another when the ship was split into different timezones?
She was "evil" in Fury, but that episode was a bit controversial because many folks felt the character already had a good send-off in The Gift. The other episode you refer to, Shattered, didn't have Kes, although it probably should have (or at least we can assume she was somewhere on Voyager).
__________________
Space, time, and thought are not the separate things they appear to be.
davidant32 is offline  
Old November 20 2008, 09:19 PM   #13
Unicron
Continuity Spackle
 
Unicron's Avatar
 
Location: Cybertron
Send a message via ICQ to Unicron
Re: Kes on Acid

I seem to recall that Kim was originally supposed to die in "Scorpion," and they had a choice between Garret Wang or Jennifer Lien leaving the cast to make room for Seven. So Kes was written out instead, not very well in either "The Gift" or "Fury."
__________________

"My dream is to eat candy and poop emeralds. I'm halfway successful."


Catbert, Evil Director of Human Resources
Unicron is offline  
Old November 20 2008, 09:27 PM   #14
exodus
Fleet Admiral
 
Location: The Digital Garden
Re: Kes on Acid

Unicron wrote: View Post
I seem to recall that Kim was originally supposed to die in "Scorpion," and they had a choice between Garret Wang or Jennifer Lien leaving the cast to make room for Seven. So Kes was written out instead, not very well in either "The Gift" or "Fury."
I disagree, I think "The Gift" & "Fury" were good send offs for the character. It would have been much easier to simply kill her off much like Yar & Jadzia Dax but they didn't take the easy road. They allowed a character that was falling into the background to have an epic exit by becoming a powerful being and still remain alive, giving the writers and Kes a chance to return in another series, film or to continue in stories.
__________________
A Tiger doesn't loose sleep over the opinion of sheep.
exodus is offline  
Old November 20 2008, 09:43 PM   #15
Unicron
Continuity Spackle
 
Unicron's Avatar
 
Location: Cybertron
Send a message via ICQ to Unicron
Re: Kes on Acid

The problem with "The Gift" is that Kes' mental abilities, which weren't used consistently to begin with, were arbitrarily made a huge leap more powerful just so there was a reason to get her off the ship. They were a plot device for that purpose, not a real problem that was central to the character. "Fury" is another matter entirely. Yar and Jadzia were both killed in the line of duty, so their departures were more fitting to me.
__________________

"My dream is to eat candy and poop emeralds. I'm halfway successful."


Catbert, Evil Director of Human Resources
Unicron is offline  
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:43 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.