Two New Starships Collection Releases
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

Giacchino Tour Arrives In North America
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

IDW Publishing October Star Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Jul 16

Cho As Romantic Lead
By: T'Bonz on Jul 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old November 18 2008, 08:51 PM   #286
Vonstadt
Captain

Re: New ST:XI trailer

Edited cause some folks responded before I could :P

Wow, I really can't believe that people are defending this garbage.. This trailer makes Enterprise look like a classic.
sorry if you thought I meant the two that followed :P

I disagree, I think this could very well be an exciting new take on the old series.

And believe me I am as stubborn as they come with my childhood. The more I see, the more intriqued I am becoming.

For example if those are Klingons, I love the idea of HELMETS! lol Didn't Hugh the Borg once say that a good whap into the ridges would kill a klingon?

About time we saw a warrior race with proper headgear for combat!

I do not intent to jump to concusions however and say it will be a great film or a bad one. I am able to say I am looking forward to this new one as much as I did TWoK when I was a kid!

Vons

Last edited by Vonstadt; November 18 2008 at 08:53 PM. Reason: some folks post really fast :P
Vonstadt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18 2008, 08:55 PM   #287
Thespeckledkiwi
Vice Admiral

Location: TheBolianChef is no more! It's theSpeckledKiwi now!

I like Scotty Just the little wordage is great from him.
Thespeckledkiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18 2008, 10:42 PM   #288
cooleddie74
Fleet Admiral

View cooleddie74's Twitter Profile

I think most fans will dig Simon Pegg as Scotty. I remember when he was first signed to be in the movie detractors whined and moaned he'd drag Nick Frost along for cameos in the film and his scenes would end up being too campy or tongue-in-cheek, but it seems Pegg worked hard to nail down some of Scotty's classic body language and mannerisms.

-Captain Jonathan Archer, 2151
cooleddie74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18 2008, 11:41 PM   #289
Guartho
Rear Admiral

I just re-watched it starting with the paramount logo and skipping Anikirk Skywalker. It was much better.

(AKA "Mr. Donkey Kong King" for no apparent reason)
Guartho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18 2008, 11:46 PM   #290
cooleddie74
Fleet Admiral

View cooleddie74's Twitter Profile

Guartho wrote: View Post
I just re-watched it starting with the paramount logo and skipping Anikirk Skywalker. It was much better.
"Someday...I will be the most virile space captain EVER! I will even learn to stop people from climaxing too early!"

-Captain Jonathan Archer, 2151
cooleddie74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19 2008, 12:06 AM   #291
Sharr Khan
Rear Admiral

View Sharr Khan's Twitter Profile

Yawn... why is it any teen in a scifi piece becomes "Aniken Skywalker" or "the whiny kid" - Scifi fans can't seem to handle children, and he didn't in the least remind me of any Skywalker.

I notice you're preference was for the flashy rather then "Earth born" stuff...

Not that I don't like the space/battles/alien worlds - but you need some grounding to get people to give a hoot!

Sharr
Sharr Khan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19 2008, 12:32 AM   #292
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Sorry, RAMA, but get over yourself - what makes your seal of approval more valid than someone else's concern that we're getting yet another commercial "epic" with little effort being made to create something that is worthy of the title? I don't give a damn about re-popularizing Star Trek - I'm not in the "even bad Trek is better than no Trek" crowd that thinks as long as it has those two words in the name, then life continues. And I'm not so arrogant to "know" that the movie is going to be either good or bad - I just don't see Star Trek in that trailer except for the most superficial aspects of it - the story and the characters that that trailer presents (and let's not argue on the one hand that a trailer tells a story when we agree with it and doesn't when we don't) don't show me that anyone involved has a clue about what Star Trek means, only what spaceships look like.
Personally if I like something, and only 20 people see it, doesn't matter to me, Nemesis is a decent movie and I don't care what the naysayers say. If Star Trek is to survive it needs to do a lot more than satisfy me and the personal predilections of a few hundred thousand trekkers, INCLUDING yourself. If the movie includes elements that satisfy most Trekkers, and also gains the viewership of casual fans and complete non-fans, it will be good for the future of the franchise. I don't slavishly need the film to adhere to 40 years of Trek history. There is precedent that a movie series can have the trappings of the originals, and still be successful, ST is simply doing this now because it has lasted longer than any of those other series in it two original incarnations (TOS and post STNG Trek).

I didn't say the movie is good at all, I said fans complain when the trailer LOOKS THIS GOOD! Meaning the trailer and nothing else. There's a difference.

The only thing that makes my seal of approval more valid than yours is that I am more open minded about the new movie. In my case I have seen enough people involved with ST(2008) who do like it's past and want it to create a similar but different future. I'm satisfied that the writer wants to keep what we do like and that you are not seeing all of that in the teaser yet.

RAMA
Old November 19 2008, 12:35 AM   #293
donners22
Commodore

My first reaction was "ugh", but I'll try and keep an open mind for the real thing when it comes around...
Janeway: Ha! Good one, Ensign. Take us in, Mr. Paris.

http://www.fiveminute.net/voyager
donners22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19 2008, 01:56 AM   #294
seigezunt
Vice Admiral

Location: Splashing on some Tiberius before a night on the town

Ok, watched it again, and I keep smiling at the McCoy quote about 'space is disease and danger wrapped in darkness and silence.' I love that. And I love that this looks like it will be exciting, at least by the looks of the trailer. That's what's important. All the whining about spoiled "canon' is just coming across to me as increasingly sad. Again, I'm and "old" fan, steeped in the inter-testamental period before there where any ST movies, and I'm still excited about this. The franchise was dead, and this looks to be a re-visit of the original mythic characters. There's a lot of age-ism ('this will only appeal to stupid kids' --a lot of us were 'stupid kids' when we made ST a phenom) and oddly placed snobbery flying around in criticism of the movie. If it sucks, I'll be the first to cry foul. But not because they omit Gary Mitchell or the number of years that Spock served with Pike, or the arm braids, red nacelles, or Nyota. It's our myth, and it's survived all the twisty turns from novel to comic book to screen to fan flick. I say, make it so (and here's to the TNG reboot!).
I am constantly surprised by the close-mindedness of some fans...this means change as well as a positive attitude. Without those things, how can we ever achieve that Trek future we enjoyed so much on TV? --Bjo Trimble
seigezunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19 2008, 02:55 AM   #295
Guartho
Rear Admiral

Sharr Khan wrote: View Post
Yawn... why is it any teen in a scifi piece becomes "Aniken Skywalker" or "the whiny kid" -
Hard to say... I suppose it's because most kids are bad actors. In this case the kid is also blond, operating a very fast piece of machinery, and saying lines in a "wink wink foreshadow" way that seem, to me anyway, to break the 4th wall.

he didn't in the least remind me of any Skywalker.
Behold my envy

I notice you're preference was for the flashy rather then "Earth born" stuff...
Not at all. Earth born young-adult Kirk shots and Vulcan born scenes were great. It really is just the kid. Ok, and the cop. Enviro-suit cop is pretty lame too.

Not that I don't like the space/battles/alien worlds - but you need some grounding to get people to give a hoot!
absolutely.

(AKA "Mr. Donkey Kong King" for no apparent reason)
Guartho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19 2008, 05:00 AM   #296
Sector 7
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Sector 7

First commercial on Fringe tonight was... ta da!... the new Star Trek trailer. It starts after the Corvette incident... ends with Nero, "The wait is over."
Old November 19 2008, 05:16 AM   #297
T J
Commodore

Let the saturation begin!
Old November 19 2008, 05:31 AM   #298
datas_cat_spot
Captain

I really don't get all the hate for the kid. We don't know what the conversation is at all between him and the cop. The delivery of the cop's line is actually the one that sounds bad. He says it like he's coming onto a girl at a bar. I swear, just add "baby" to the end.
Old November 19 2008, 05:38 AM   #299
JuanBolio
Admiral

I dunno - it sounds like a synthesized version of a cop's voice who cannot believe what he just saw: "WHAT is your NAME?"

This has been an official JuanBolio post. You are now stronger, smarter, and a better human being for having read it. Congratulations.
JuanBolio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19 2008, 05:43 AM   #300
datas_cat_spot
Captain

The kid does have a stupid face. I have no problem with how he says the line though.