RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,721
Members: 24,211
Currently online: 802
Newest member: dmhp32

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old November 18 2008, 01:30 AM   #31
theenglish
Rear Admiral

Re: The Death of Superman: 16 Years Later

msbae wrote: View Post
Trent Roman wrote: View Post
Uh, Iron Man didn't kill Captain America.

Fictitiously yours, Trent Roman
I was told something different by a comic-loving former friend. I haven't seen the issue myself. It did seem kinda weird that another one of the Avengers would kill Captain America, though.
In fairness to your friend, it was Iron Man's fault that the opening existed to take out Captain America and Cap died as an enemy of the state and Tony as well. So IM feels guilt-ridden over the whole thing. (BTW, you can find the whole synopsis by googling a little).
theenglish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18 2008, 01:31 AM   #32
msbae
Commodore

theenglish wrote: View Post
msbae wrote: View Post
Uh, Iron Man didn't kill Captain America.

I was told something different by a comic-loving former friend. I haven't seen the issue myself. It did seem kinda weird that another one of the Avengers would kill Captain America, though.
In fairness to your friend, it was Iron Man's fault that the opening existed to take out Captain America and Cap died as an enemy of the state and Tony as well. So IM feels guilt-ridden over the whole thing. (BTW, you can find the whole synopsis by googling a little).
Well, that explains how Iron Man was involved...
msbae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18 2008, 06:18 AM   #33
GalaxyX
Rear Admiral

Wow...I take that as a great compliment.

If you're interesting in taking the plunge, even if only to read "The Death of Superman," here are some options:
Yeah definitely, those are some good prices, less than $30 for a good read. I will definitely try them out.

I've always hated all these comics because of all these "extra dark/sinister" super antiheros. Superman as a character I've always liked though because he's a being who truly helps humanity out of the goodness of his own heart (I guess the fact that his character was based on the story of Jesus has to do partly with that )

Too bad your interest wasn't "piqued".
Wasn't sure of the correct spelling lol
Old November 18 2008, 06:40 AM   #34
broberfett
Vice Admiral

Superman was made by two Jewish guys. I doubt they would have based it on Jesus in anyway.
Old November 18 2008, 07:03 AM   #35
Trent Roman
Rear Admiral

broberfett wrote: View Post
Superman was made by two Jewish guys. I doubt they would have based it on Jesus in anyway.
Because a person is of one religion (or none) doesn't mean they can't borrow elements from other faiths in their storytelling, particularly when you're dealing with a cultural myth as pervasive as the story of Christ. Besides, the Messiah is a Jewish story - they only differ from Christians as to whether or not it's happened yet.

Old November 18 2008, 07:47 AM   #36
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

Starship Polaris wrote: View Post
I remember enjoying "Superman" quite a bit at the time - I even really liked the long hair when he came back. It was, of course, a passing style and sensibly changed after a while.
It looked ok when he was Superman but no one could figure out how to make it look good on Clark Kent. I was glad when he finally got a haircut.
Savage Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18 2008, 12:30 PM   #37
theenglish
Rear Admiral

broberfett wrote: View Post
Because a person is of one religion (or none) doesn't mean they can't borrow elements from other faiths in their storytelling, particularly when you're dealing with a cultural myth as pervasive as the story of Christ. Besides, the Messiah is a Jewish story - they only differ from Christians as to whether or not it's happened yet.

Well, both stories share a number of mythic elements that also appear in hundreds of other hero tales around the world, many of which were invented before the time of Christ or by peoples who would have had no knowledge of it.
theenglish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18 2008, 01:45 PM   #38
Lindley
Moderator with a Soul

I was never really into comics, but I do recall something about "The Death of Superman" being mentioned on television when I was little.

Although that may have been in reference to a TV show, I recall a character talking. And something about the mid-Atlantic, I think.
Lindley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18 2008, 03:21 PM   #39
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

I may have to check them out sometime, I've never read the story because at that point I was really fed up with comic gimmicks and I never thought this was anything more than a really blatant one.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18 2008, 08:50 PM   #40
Trent Roman
Rear Admiral

theenglish wrote: View Post
Well, both stories share a number of mythic elements that also appear in hundreds of other hero tales around the world, many of which were invented before the time of Christ or by peoples who would have had no knowledge of it.
Yes, but whereas it seems likely that two people in 1932 America/Canada could be influenced by the most popular story of the last two millenia, it's rather less likely they were inspired by the cult of Osiris or Mithraism, or else came up, wholly independantly, with a character that so closely cleaves to one of the most pervasive mythical stories of their time. Superman does correspond to a broad heroic archetype, particularly since (to keep this vaguely on topic) he has also undergone death and rebirth, but he is also more specifically an archetype of Christ within that broader category.

Old November 18 2008, 11:04 PM   #41
msbae
Commodore

Superman = modern-day version of Hercules.
msbae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18 2008, 11:53 PM   #42
Trent Roman
Rear Admiral

^ Not really. Apart from the 'only/last son' thing (and Zeus, as we all know, knocking up anything with a pulse), Superman is presented as a moral paragon whereas Herakles was... rather not.

Old November 19 2008, 12:28 AM   #43
Spaceman Spiff
Intrepid Explorer

But they're both strong, Trent. They're both strong.
Old November 19 2008, 12:37 AM   #44
Misfit Toy
Caped Trek Mod

^But I've seen them fight each other.
Old November 19 2008, 12:53 AM   #45
A beaker full of death
Vice Admiral

Skywalker wrote: View Post
God, was that really sixteen years ago? I feel old now.
You can really start feeling old when 16 years seems like a very short period of time.
A beaker full of death is offline   Reply With Quote