Mystery Mini Vinyl Figure Display Box
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

The Red Shirt Diaries Episode Five
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

Shatner In Trek 3? Well Maybe
By: T'Bonz on Sep 28

Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Site Forums > TrekToday News Items

TrekToday News Items Discussion of TrekToday news items

Old November 17 2008, 07:47 PM   #1
TrekToday
Rear Admiral

'Star Trek XI' Teaser Official Release

A short time ago, the official trailer for Star Trek XI was released online, several days after it debuted with the new Bond movie, Quantum of Solace.

As seen at The official Star Trek movie site, the new teaser for Star Trek XI is officially available online.

Going to the official site and clicking "view the new trailer" will take one to Apple.com's site, where the trailer is hosted and can be seen in high definition.

As expected, fans arrived early, waiting for the trailer. About fifteen minutes after the announced time, the wait was finally over and eager fans were able to view the teaser on their computers, Ipod or Iphone.

The trailer starts off with a Corvette convertible racing along a dusty road chased by a police officer. The driver stops suddenly at the edge of a cliff and dives out of the car, almost going over the cliff himself. The youthful Corvette driver is none other than James Tiberius Kirk.

Kirk as a young adult is then seen riding a motorcycle as a voiceover says that "You've always had a hard time finding your place in this world, haven't you?"

The scene changes to Vulcan, where Spock, a young boy is seen. The voiceover in this scene says, "You will always be a child of two worlds." There is a flashback to shortly after Spock's birth. His parents are together with Amanda resting with the baby in her arms. She reaches up to caress Sarek's face. A young adult Spock is shown before a council and in a Starfleet ship hangar and the voiceover asks, "Which path will you choose?"

After that, the trailer speeds up. There are shots of ships, a space station, Amanda and others being taken off of Vulcan, Nero, Kirk and Spock arguing, freefalling, a scene in which the red alert klaxon is blaring and people are running through the corridors of a ship, Captain Pike, Lieutenant Uhura changing clothes, Doctor McCoy, some sort of monster, more fights, ship battle damage, an ice planet, a bit of intimacy, and damage to the USS Kelvin. The trailer ends with Nero saying, "The wait is over."

To see the video, go here. Or watch the embedded version below.

Old November 17 2008, 08:05 PM   #2
SamwiseToeJam
Cadet

Re: 'Star Trek XI' Teaser Officially Released

Why is there a Corvette?
What's with the stupid dialogue/fighting between Kirk and Spock?
Those painted landscape screens are terrible.
Why is it so fast paced?
Why is the camera sideways?
What's with the MTV cutaways?
What's with the thumping techno beat?
If that's supposed to be Kirk narrating, why does it sound like he smokes 3 packs a day?

This may be great for the kids, but it does nothing for me. It's a shameful rape of the Star Trek franchise.
Old November 17 2008, 08:18 PM   #3
NewHorizon
Captain

SamwiseToeJam wrote: View Post
Why is there a Corvette?
There are such things as antiques.

They fought in TOS...in several episodes. We don't know what context this is in.

You're opinion. I think they look fine.

Why is it so fast paced?
It's an action/adventure trailer.

You're joking right?

This trailer isn't made to appeal to us old fuddy duddys, it's trying to introduce Star Trek to a wider audience. Don't judge it on a fast clipped trailer...it's just trying to hook people in.

Techno beat? lol You're joking right? That's a fully orchestrated score. It's from Children of Dune and different selections from Children of Dune have been used in many recent trailers.

If that's supposed to be Kirk narrating, why does it sound like he smokes 3 packs a day?
There are TWO different narrators. PIKE and SAREK!

This may be great for the kids, but it does nothing for me. It's a shameful rape of the Star Trek franchise.
You haven't seen the film yet. The trailer shows great promise. The movie isn't going to move along at quite that clip.

If Leonard Nimoy agreed to be in it, then I have faith it's going to be quite amazing.

Open your mind. That's what Star Trek is about.
Old November 17 2008, 08:22 PM   #4
T'Cal
Commodore

Startrekmovie.com lists the trailer as being available in 1 Day, 2 Hours, and 23 Minutes: TOMORROW! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH!

I saw it at the theatre with QoS but didn't see Nimoy in it. Did I miss him? My son and I thought it was great, BTW. We didn't realize it was the trailer for STXI until the kid said his name. I've seen the Youtube bootleg but can't wait to see it bigger and in higher definition.
Old November 17 2008, 08:23 PM   #5
DorkBoy [TM]
Captain

Well, I liked it. A lot.

Hope the movie is good, but this shows a ton of promise.

There's still a lot of stuff I've heard / read that I am unsure about, but I am still looking forward to opening night. I've always been a fan of JJ Abrams and Star Trek. And there's no question given the last few Trek movies that Trek needs to reinvent itself to stay relevant to current audiences.

Who knows, it could still be not-my-cup-of-tea when I finally see it.

(Wonder when someone is going to ask how it is that Kirk knows how to drive a car, given his ignorance in "A Piece of the Action"? )
Old November 17 2008, 08:33 PM   #6
NewHorizon
Captain

T'Cal wrote: View Post
Startrekmovie.com lists the trailer as being available in 1 Day, 2 Hours, and 23 Minutes: TOMORROW! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH!
Clear your browsers cache and cookies. That's what I had to do to see the updated site...otherwise, you'll just get the cached, broken version.
Old November 17 2008, 08:40 PM   #7
SamwiseToeJam
Cadet

This trailer isn't made to appeal to us old fuddy duddys, it's trying to introduce Star Trek to a wider audience. Don't judge it on a fast clipped trailer...it's just trying to hook people in.
You're right and I realize that, but it's still disappointing...

Techno beat? lol You're joking right? That's a fully orchestrated score. It's from Children of Dune and different selections from Children of Dune have been used in many recent trailers.
Thanks for that into, I didn't know there was an actual score. Still, if that's part of the score, I don't like it. They didn't use the theme except for 5 seconds at the very end.

Open your mind. That's what Star Trek is about.
Good point. You have rebutted each of my concerns with a legitimate point. However, it still feels too much for me. For goodness sake, I am only 32...but I felt the same thing when Transformers came out. It's a true childhood icon for me (TNG, not really TOS, but a little there too), and trying to enjoy this (the same with Transformers) takes me out of my comfort zone. It's not as enjoyable when you have to work at watching it, trying to say to yourself, "This isn't designed for me, it's made for 14 yr old kids." For me it's hard to see everything on the screen...hard to appreciate the music at the same time as the action...hard to follow the action from one view to another view with fast cuts...and in something I really want to enjoy, such as Star Trek, it seems even more disappointing then if it was just an original movie I have no vested interest in and I know whatever I get out of it is a plus.
Old November 17 2008, 08:55 PM   #8
NewHorizon
Captain

Thanks for that into, I didn't know there was an actual score. Still, if that's part of the score, I don't like it.

It's not part of the Star Trek movie score, it's just being used for the trailer. Lots of movies do that these days.

They didn't use the theme except for 5 seconds at the very end.
A very clever thing to do. That theme is recognizable to almost everyone, even people who dislike Star Trek. The goal of this movie is to attempt to introduce Star Trek to a new audience, while balancing the existing audience. We're going to know what this Trailer is as soon as we hear James Tiberius Kirk, but the average movie viewer isn't going to catch it that quickly. This way, the film makers gave themselves more time to hook the viewer and at the very end...we, the fans, get our nod with a very subtle hint of the theme. If they threw the theme in at the beginning, instant turn off for the average movie watcher...they would just go..."oh, it's STAR TRACK"...and tune out the rest of the trailer. lol

I think we have to be mindful that this is just a trailer to 'reach the wide audience' but that the movie itself will honor what Trek is.

Good point. You have rebutted each of my concerns with a legitimate point. However, it still feels too much for me. For goodness sake, I am only 32...but I felt the same thing when Transformers came out. It's a true childhood icon for me (TNG, not really TOS, but a little there too), and trying to enjoy this (the same with Transformers) takes me out of my comfort zone. It's not as enjoyable when you have to work at watching it, trying to say to yourself, "This isn't designed for me, it's made for 14 yr old kids." For me it's hard to see everything on the screen...hard to appreciate the music at the same time as the action...hard to follow the action from one view to another view with fast cuts...and in something I really want to enjoy, such as Star Trek, it seems even more disappointing then if it was just an original movie I have no vested interest in and I know whatever I get out of it is a plus.
I'm 33...hehe. I've had my reservations, but I just had to put everything I knew aside and say...'this is different...and this is change". Change is inevible, and it can be good if we allow it to. I honestly don't think this movie is aimed at 14 year old kids, it's aimed at the general public. One of the writers, Bob Orci, posts over at www.trekmovie.com and speaks to us all the time. He is very honest, and I believe they put their heart and soul into this film. It will be different, but I think it will still be Star Trek.

On that note though...I really disliked a lot of Transformers, but that was mostly due to Michael Bay and his ability to water a film down to it's dumbest form. I don't think JJ will do that. He did great character work in Mission Impossible 3, and his TV shows are very well written character pieces.

Don't let the trailer fool you, I think there will be substance here.
Old November 17 2008, 08:56 PM   #9
T'Cal
Commodore

NewHorizon wrote: View Post
Clear your browsers cache and cookies. That's what I had to do to see the updated site...otherwise, you'll just get the cached, broken version.
Thanks!

Still, my work computer lacks the most current version of Quicktime and won't play Youtube vids. AAARGH again. I am able to see the teaser (trailer 1) though.

The site layout is pretty cool. The corridors look like those in the trailer but I don't remember seeing the doors with the large deltas on them. Very nice touch.
Old November 17 2008, 09:05 PM   #10
KDoug
Lieutenant Commander

Re: 'Star Trek XI' Teaser Official Release

Just saw the trailer a little while ago! Overall, I liked it, but I still have mixed feelings. I dislike glitz for the sake of glitz and change for the sake of change, so I don't like the way they re-designed the Enterprise (inside and out). I don't mind them adding additional detail, but they've changed it to such an extent that I just can't believe it's an earlier version of the same ship that we saw in the original TV series.

But regardless, I'm looking forward to seeing this movie! I'm willing to put my preconceptions aside and I hope they make such a good movie that I stop cringing at visual inconsistencies.
Old November 17 2008, 09:07 PM   #11
NewHorizon
Captain

Still, my work computer lacks the most current version of Quicktime and won't play Youtube vids. AAARGH again. I am able to see the teaser (trailer 1) though.
Do a google search for Quicktime Alternative and install that from 'free codecs'. It's a light weight, free, open source version of the quicktime codec, and it plays the videos on a lightweight version of media player called "Media Player Classic".
Old November 17 2008, 09:20 PM   #12
Data Holmes
Admiral

To paraphrase Team America....

STAR TREK... FUCK YA!
Old November 17 2008, 10:02 PM   #13
Capt.April
Lieutenant Commander

I thought it looked great!
Old November 17 2008, 10:11 PM   #14
Gaoth Istoiche
Cadet

Re: 'Star Trek XI' Teaser Official Release

Saw the trailer. The Enterprise looks a lot different. I can't help but think that if Gene was still alive he would use the latest special effects to bring his dream alive. I may hate the movie, but I'll wait until May 9th to decide that. I did see and hear a lot in the clip that makes me think J.J. is trying to be true to the basics of Gene's original vision. I really hope the suits at Paramount doesn't screw this up
Old November 17 2008, 10:54 PM   #15
ancient
Vice Admiral

SamwiseToeJam wrote: View Post
Why is there a Corvette?
Why is it so fast paced?

And where the hell am I?

Sorry, this post just reminded me of Naked Gun for some reason.

BTW, if this is a shameful rape, I guess I'm a pervert, 'cause it's turning me on!