Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: Grade "Abyss"
SUPER 8 32.00%
Above Average 10 40.00%
Average 2 8.00%
Below Average 2 8.00%
BIZARRO 3 12.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Old November 16 2008, 07:03 PM   #91
Kryton
Admiral

Re: Smallville 8x09 "Abyss" - Discuss/Grade <SPOILERS>

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
About that.

A terrible gap in my Latin.

I was watching Sliders the other day and John Rhys Davies is getting sauced in a pub, when he proclaims that reasons why all their friendships had been falling apart of late by issuing the maxim In Vino Veritas, which of course means "In wine truth"... OH!!

Did i miss the episode of Smallville where they defined the word for those of us without a first grade education?

Of course later on there's another episode of Sliders called IN Dino Veritas. They battle Dinosaurs.
Back in the '70s there were a series of Star Trek kiddie records voiced by unknowns (I have these digitized but am prohibited from posting them online by copyright restrictions). One of the episodes was about a diplomatic meeting where the accompanying beverage had the effect of being a truth serum...on Kirk and crew as well as the ambassadors.

The title was, of course, "In Vino Veritas".
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17 2008, 12:02 AM   #92
nx1701g
Admiral

^ I remember seeing that. I picked it up at a Yard Sale for a quarter.
Old November 17 2008, 04:31 AM   #93
TGTheodore
Writer

Hermiod wrote: View Post
TG Theodore wrote: View Post
Hermiod wrote: View Post
Chloe losing her memory of Clark's abilities is a dumb, dumb move.
Patience, grasshopper ... patience ...

--Ted
I'm too old for that, I demand instant gratification!

I'm with ya!

--Ted
Old November 17 2008, 02:18 PM   #94
LaxScrutiny
Commodore

I can't see how Chloe could have such large gaps in her memory and not notice. Like, who is this Oliver Queen person? Was she involved with the League or not? Does she remember having Brianiac powers? Does she remember being in the Luthorcorp prison at the start of the season? Does she remember saving Lois from being stabbed, and does she remember why she was there in the first place?

Up to a point, I don't remember everything that happened to me in detail over the last 5 years, I don't think about the events of each day, and if she was "programmed" to avoid thinking about things like that, she might not notice, but that's a huge violation.

Clark is also not realizing, if Chloe didn't know his secret, she couldn't have helped him all those times, he'd be dead from kryptonite several times over, and many other people wouldn't have been saved. He is putting "protecting" her ahead of all the good she has done the past years, because she won't be able to do more good over the next few years.

She's no dope. What happens if she figures it out again? Another mind wipe? And another?

There's no ethics or logic to this move at all. Which makes it a really bad reset.

So making the reset, what does this accomplish for the story? Does it make it better? Does the rest of the season improve because Chloe doesn't know? It takes her out of the role of Clark's sidekick. Presumably this is to give Lois more screentime, Clark won't be running to Chloe for the magic information he needs every episode, he'll have to find it out himself.
LaxScrutiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17 2008, 04:17 PM   #95
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

I finally got around to watching this episode on my TiFaux.

(On SEVERE time-shift this week!)

Awesome, awesome episode. I mean, WOW!

Great, great stuff.
Old November 17 2008, 05:02 PM   #96
theenglish
Rear Admiral

I don't watch this series anymore (lack of time demands that my guilty pleasure quotient has been sacrificed) but still read the synopses. I am glad that they are starting to work with a reset and bring Clark into his Superman years.

Lex and Chloe have both lost their memories of Clark (I am speculating on Luthor here). Now we just need the same to happen for Pete and then for some Smallville Style SciFi explanation for why nobody in the world will connect Clark to Superman when he dons the cape and we're set.
theenglish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17 2008, 07:17 PM   #97
TGTheodore
Writer

theenglish wrote: View Post
Lex and Chloe have both lost their memories of Clark (I am speculating on Luthor here). Now we just need the same to happen for Pete and then for some Smallville Style SciFi explanation for why nobody in the world will connect Clark to Superman when he dons the cape and we're set.
I don't remember Pete ever losing his knowledge about Clark in the comic books. When did that happen? I thought he always knew once he found out.

And if they DO bring Pete back before the series ends, it better be a LOT better than that last incredibly stupid episode he returned for.

--Ted
Old November 17 2008, 07:19 PM   #98
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

TG Theodore wrote: View Post
theenglish wrote: View Post
I don't remember Pete ever losing his knowledge about Clark in the comic books. When did that happen? I thought he always knew once he found out.

And if they DO bring Pete back before the series ends, it better be a LOT better than that last incredibly stupid episode he returned for.

--Ted
You mean the hour-long Stride Gum commercial?

Old November 17 2008, 07:22 PM   #99
nx1701g
Admiral

^ I'm waiting for Clark to buy that new Suzuki Pickup Truck. I saw one the other day and it has a large S as its emblem.
Old November 17 2008, 07:34 PM   #100
CorporalClegg
Vice Admiral

Meh. Clack only buys American.
Old November 17 2008, 08:29 PM   #101
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Um. This is the last season.

We're half way through the last season.

So why erase Chloe's memory and possibly Lex's, an maybe Lana's again if she blips on his radar if we are almost with in range of there being no need for it being easier for them to tell stories because there will be no more movies to tell...

Surely this is when they don't have to worry about confusing and losing a thick audience who can't handle COMPLICATED shows like Smallville...

Unless they think they're going to get some movies just because Star Trek did, or this isn't the last season? I mean certainly i had thought it was the last seaosn fo rthe last three years now. it's like you're running a marathon barefoot over broken glass and the administrator adds some surprise laps when ou thought you could see the finish line.

bastards.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17 2008, 08:48 PM   #102
the Dagman
Commodore

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
Um. This is the last season.

We're half way through the last season.

So why erase Chloe's memory and possibly Lex's, an maybe Lana's again if she blips on his radar if we are almost with in range of there being no need for it being easier for them to tell stories because there will be no more movies to tell...

Surely this is when they don't have to worry about confusing and losing a thick audience who can't handle COMPLICATED shows like Smallville...

Unless they think they're going to get some movies just because Star Trek did, or this isn't the last season? I mean certainly i had thought it was the last seaosn fo rthe last three years now. it's like you're running a marathon barefoot over broken glass and the administrator adds some surprise laps when ou thought you could see the finish line.

bastards.
Actually, no one outside of reporters have said this is the last season. And they have been saying that since season 4 started, thinking the show would end with Clark and Co.'s high school graduation.

Given that this is one of the CW's highest rated shows I would say that if anything is in danger of the axe of cancellation, it is the CW itself. If it survives, and with the demise of The Graysons (Smallville's potential replacement) in it's planning infancy, Smallville will survive for at least another season.
Old November 17 2008, 08:57 PM   #103
CorporalClegg
Vice Admiral

^
I think the only thing preventing a season nine at this point is Welling.

As long as he's on board, the show will keep going. However, this is the end of his contract.
Old November 17 2008, 08:58 PM   #104
Hermiod
Admiral

^As with this season, if they don't re-sign Allison Mack then that's it for me.
Hermiod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17 2008, 09:20 PM   #105
CorporalClegg
Vice Admiral

Ditto.