TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old November 16 2008, 12:56 AM   #31
Ugly Sweater
Trekker4747

Re: Mythbusters 11/12: Idioms

Christopher wrote: View Post
Yeah, Kari's the straight man in a sense, but a funny straight man. I quite like her wit.
I like her wit and her ti...

Er, nevermind.

Old November 16 2008, 09:11 AM   #32
GalaxyX
Rear Admiral

I agree with the guy that said Kari tends to stay away from the "physical" stunts more than the other guys. Whether this is something that the network insists on, or whether she protects herself from it on her own I'm not sure.

It's clear that her main job on the show is to play the "spunky cute red haired chicky" that nerds can gawk over. I don't say that with animosity toward her at all, she does the job that brings her the paycheck, just like the other people on the show.
Old November 16 2008, 12:55 PM   #33
Ugly Sweater
Trekker4747

Kari particpated in the "brace position" myth. Where it was tested whether the brace-position in airline crashes was designed to do more harm than good (as it's cheaper to settle death suits than to pay-out/for injuries over a life time.)

They had built a rig where they dropped a simulated airline cabin and after several tests with Buster and Simulaids they tested it on Kari, Adam, and I believe also Scotty.

I don't recall the reasons behind the test with the live people, but anyway..

After the rig dropped the seats collapsed and Kari suffered a severe injury and fracture to her leg. (I suspect this myth is one of the reasons why we often now hear about Adam and co. grousing over the insurance company's restrictions.)

In following episodes Kari is many times seen with a legbrace, crutches and even one or two following myths she's used to test things during her hospital visits. (IIRC more myths involving MRIs, X-Rays or things of that nature.)

So, Kari particpated in a physical myth test and suffered severe injury for it. I can't blame her for being a bit more cautious.

There's also probably a pound or more of "chivalry" in it too.

There also, have indeed been times where Kari has particpated in the "more physical" myths. The myth centered around tricking/evading a gaurd dog springs to mind.

And, again, remember her "character" as well as the "characters" of the other "Junior Mythbusters" she's often grouped with (Tori and Grant) and that this is a TV show with directors and producers behind the camera. It's very likely she's been directed to not participate in the more physical aspects as it's more entertaining to see Tori or Grant try (Grant being the "un-physucal "nerd" and Tori being the clutz). Also the blueprint sessions and discussion sessions are also likely filmed after the tests have taken place.

There's a lot going on here for Kari's health reasons and for TV production reasons. I think it's unfair to claim that Kari is opting out of the more physical myths because she's the "girl who doesn't want to do the boy stuff." Her demeanor over the course of this series, I think, would strongly suggest she's no problem doing "boy stuff"; her 'tude is very much (in my eyes) that of a tomboy who just happens to still dress and act like a girl.

If you want to criticize the behind the scenes persons of the show for treating Kari like this, go ahead. But calling her "Red Tits" or demeaning her because of the role she's been put in in the show is insulting to her and she's shown her worth many times over and none of it includes her wearing a flesh-toned body suit and having her ass scanned.

I want to apologize to Christopher as this thread has strayed way off topic from the myth discussion and more over to Kari's (and other's) role on the show.

With luck, the next episode will have more substansive myths to discuss.
Old November 16 2008, 04:41 PM   #34
Christopher
Writer

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
After the rig dropped the seats collapsed and Kari suffered a severe injury and fracture to her leg. (I suspect this myth is one of the reasons why we often now hear about Adam and co. grousing over the insurance company's restrictions.)

In following episodes Kari is many times seen with a legbrace, crutches and even one or two following myths she's used to test things during her hospital visits. (IIRC more myths involving MRIs, X-Rays or things of that nature.)

So, Kari particpated in a physical myth test and suffered severe injury for it. I can't blame her for being a bit more cautious.
I found this assertion questionable, since I recall her being on camera after the plane drop and showing no sign of serious injury. So I researched it online, and I have to say this myth is busted. According to Kari Byron herself on her Myspace blog, she injured her knee when she slipped on ice: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1671108/board/flat/81604188

I did find a post where someone wondered if it might've been connected to the plane drop, but that was pure guesswork. This seems to be one of those rumors that crops up when a speculation gets repeated often enough that it gets mistaken for a fact. She did hit her shin against the seat in front of her in the plane drop, which is probably the source of the confusion, but it was only a 5-foot drop so there was little risk of serious injury.

There also, have indeed been times where Kari has particpated in the "more physical" myths. The myth centered around tricking/evading a gaurd dog springs to mind.
Indeed. This idea that "Kari avoids physical experiments" is another myth. The only times this is the case is where what's being tested involves physical strength and they need to find out who can exert the most strength. Naturally, that always turns out to be Tory. But when maximum strength isn't a factor, you'll usually see Kari as involved as anyone else.

Also the blueprint sessions and discussion sessions are also likely filmed after the tests have taken place.
That's true.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16 2008, 10:15 PM   #35
Ugly Sweater
Trekker4747

My mistake on her leg. Like others, I guess I just connected the wrong dots together on what we saw on TV.

On the blueprint sessions. It's obvious in a few episodes that they're filmed at very different times than the myths themselves. The biggest tell in some episodes is Kari's hairstyle. She's a bigger pain in the butt in that area than Gates McFadden.
Old November 16 2008, 10:52 PM   #36
Christopher
Writer

I really wish Kari would let her hair grow long again...

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16 2008, 10:57 PM   #37
Roger Wilco
Admiral

I wish Mythbusters' ratings got so bad that the network decides to force Kari to wear a bikini at work.
Old November 16 2008, 11:36 PM   #38
Marc
Fleet Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Marc

[quote=Christopher;2298582][quote=Trekker4747;2298235

I did find a post where someone wondered if it might've been connected to the plane drop, but that was pure guesswork. This seems to be one of those rumors that crops up when a speculation gets repeated often enough that it gets mistaken for a fact. She did hit her shin against the seat in front of her in the plane drop, which is probably the source of the confusion, but it was only a 5-foot drop so there was little risk of serious injury.

[/quote]

However she did break one thing on the crash test - the underwire on her bra

As for her doing physical work - she was slated to do the launch in the water bottle rocket one (that could of been scripted and they knew from the start she wasn't going to get on).

think she also did an attempt with the 360 degree swing.

Pres. Merkin P. Muffly
Marc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 17 2008, 12:03 AM   #39
Ugly Sweater
Trekker4747

Christopher wrote: View Post
I really wish Kari would let her hair grow long again...
Indeed, but she's ones of the few women I find irresistable with short hair. I think her spunky/punky attitude helps sell it.
Old November 17 2008, 08:26 AM   #40
Hermiod
Admiral

My mistake on her leg. Like others, I guess I just connected the wrong dots together on what we saw on TV.

On the blueprint sessions. It's obvious in a few episodes that they're filmed at very different times than the myths themselves. The biggest tell in some episodes is Kari's hairstyle. She's a bigger pain in the butt in that area than Gates McFadden.
A bigger giveaway is Adam's T-shirts which change randomly. Jamie, on the other hand, is a continuity dream. The guy never changes. He never even allows his shirt to get dirty.

Kari's hair also explains the parasol I've seen her using a lot lately. Redheads burn in the sun easily.

Another good example of Kari participating in the physical side - I watched "Chinese Invasion Alarm" yesterday. After they were finished, she clearly helped manually fill in the hole they'd dug.

Marc wrote: View Post
Yes, she did. Both on their rig and at the circus they visited. On their own rig I believe she was able to get the best swing as well.
Hermiod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17 2008, 03:48 PM   #41
Ugly Sweater
Trekker4747

Hermiod wrote: View Post

A bigger giveaway is Adam's T-shirts which change randomly. Jamie, on the other hand, is a continuity dream. The guy never changes. He never even allows his shirt to get dirty.

Kari's hair also explains the parasol I've seen her using a lot lately. Redheads burn in the sun easily.

Another good example of Kari participating in the physical side - I watched "Chinese Invasion Alarm" yesterday. After they were finished, she clearly helped manually fill in the hole they'd dug.

Marc wrote: View Post
Yes, she did. Both on their rig and at the circus they visited. On their own rig I believe she was able to get the best swing as well.
Jamie is like a comic-book or cartoon character when it comes to his "outfit".

Clean white shirt, brown pants, beret.

Old November 18 2008, 09:57 AM   #42
Hermiod
Admiral

Jamie is like a comic-book or cartoon character when it comes to his "outfit".

Clean white shirt, brown pants, beret.

Jamie is a legend.

I think I've been watching too much of this show, though. On Guitar Hero World Tour I made a red haired female rocker named Kari.
Hermiod is offline   Reply With Quote