TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old November 11 2008, 06:50 PM   #46
Twilight
Vice Admiral

Re: Call of Duty 5 SUCKS! Dont waste your money!

On the release day for a fairly major game, I'm able to find ONE review. One.

http://www.gamedaily.com/games/call-...iew/7264/2186/

What's up?
Twilight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11 2008, 06:50 PM   #47
Lookingglassman
Admiral

I bought it because I read a review of it in the XBOX magazine awhile back. The way review sounded it seemed like ti was going to be a great game, but all it is is more of the same like COD 3. One thing I heard was you had more paths in order to attack something like in COD 4, but in reality you are really stuck going down endless trenches and halways in order to get to your objective.

Well anyway, it is good to have friends in high places. I work with a guy whose wife works at the local gamestop and I did him a favor once so she took it back and gave me a full refund instead of making me exchange it for another copy.

If you really want to play it I say wait until the price goes down or play COD 3 since it is essentially the same game. It is not worth 60 bucks.
Lookingglassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11 2008, 06:54 PM   #48
Lookingglassman
Admiral

Pkerr, I started out on easy to get a feel for the game then switched to the hardest setting and it still was stupid. The other characters get in the way, always seem to be standing behind you when you are trying to move to escape a gernade or enemy fire.

I got it yesterday because I pre-ordered it from gamestop.
Old November 11 2008, 09:35 PM   #49
Twilight
Vice Admiral

Found another review - very positive - here:

http://cheatcc.com/xbox360/rev/callo...warreview.html

One note about multiplayer: some possible balancing issues in kill streak rewards:

All is not rosy with the Multiplayer mode, however. Kill-Streak Rewards are too powerful and stay with you after you die. Achieving five kills is challenging but certainly attainable. As such, lots of players will be unleashing overly-intense mortar strikes and the resulting series of 'earthquaking' death is annoying. Once you've gotten five kills, getting seven is a no brainer, especially with a well-placed artillery strike. Moreover, because rewards don't disappear after death, players are best served to hold onto the reward until they die. When they respawn, they can then 'Unleash the Dogs' and have their puppies take out another seven victims, restoring the power and fueling a vicious cycle of broken mayhem. Players should lose the reward if they're killed; use it or lose it, I say!

Fortunately, a patch has been developed by Treyarch that addresses the overpowered artillery strike and a number of map hole exploits found in the beta on day one, so the retail online game should be quite smooth.
My experience in the Beta is that the 5 kill mortar strike is VASTLY more powerful (in that it covers more surface area) than the airstrike in COD4 ... that might get annoying.
Old November 11 2008, 10:11 PM   #50
The Evil Dead
Vice Admiral

View The Evil Dead's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to The Evil Dead

http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/call-of-duty-5/928937p1.html

Gamespy gave it a 4 and a half.

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/927/927055p2.html

IGN threw it a 9.2!

Starting to get pretty optimistic here!
Old November 11 2008, 10:12 PM   #51
firehawk12
Fleet Admiral

Twilight wrote: View Post
On the release day for a fairly major game, I'm able to find ONE review. One.

http://www.gamedaily.com/games/call-...iew/7264/2186/

What's up?
Activision embargo, probably.

"How do you trust a nation that's invented Karate? They're standing there in their pajamas... then they kick you in the balls!"
firehawk12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11 2008, 10:13 PM   #52
Mistral
Vice Admiral

Found another review - very positive - here:

http://cheatcc.com/xbox360/rev/callo...warreview.html

One note about multiplayer: some possible balancing issues in kill streak rewards:

All is not rosy with the Multiplayer mode, however. Kill-Streak Rewards are too powerful and stay with you after you die. Achieving five kills is challenging but certainly attainable. As such, lots of players will be unleashing overly-intense mortar strikes and the resulting series of 'earthquaking' death is annoying. Once you've gotten five kills, getting seven is a no brainer, especially with a well-placed artillery strike. Moreover, because rewards don't disappear after death, players are best served to hold onto the reward until they die. When they respawn, they can then 'Unleash the Dogs' and have their puppies take out another seven victims, restoring the power and fueling a vicious cycle of broken mayhem. Players should lose the reward if they're killed; use it or lose it, I say!

Fortunately, a patch has been developed by Treyarch that addresses the overpowered artillery strike and a number of map hole exploits found in the beta on day one, so the retail online game should be quite smooth.
My experience in the Beta is that the 5 kill mortar strike is VASTLY more powerful (in that it covers more surface area) than the airstrike in COD4 ... that might get annoying.
Those issues were already fixed a couple of weeks ago, including the on-going KillBonus thing. As for the strike power-yeah, it covers a big area but once you realize there's a pattern to the shells landing you can (sometimes) escape. I've actually stood in the middle of one, watching my panicking teammates die and shells land all around me without being touched. You just have to remember the final shell comes a bit late and off-angle from the rest...

I'm waiting to see how long it takes Treyarch to fix the dog glitch. I found it on my own and haven't really seen anyone else use it so I'm staying mum, but there is a way to survive a direct dog attack without killing the beasties.

If you go to the link Twilight (?) posted that I quoted here, there are a number of different reviews in the bottom left column.

Last edited by Mistral; November 11 2008 at 10:23 PM.
Mistral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11 2008, 10:16 PM   #53
Twilight
Vice Admiral

The Evil Dead wrote: View Post

IGN threw it a 9.2!

I'm gonna pick it up today after work!

My feeling is this: it's probably not much more than a heavily skinned COD4. But I fuckin' adore COD4, so if it's just more COD4 in a different setting, fine with me!

Competitive coop sounds brilliantly fun, too.
Old November 11 2008, 10:55 PM   #54
unimatrix7
Rear Admiral

PKerr wrote: View Post
Enjoy Gears 2, it's effin top notch stuff.
I am so far.
I finished it last night, and it was incredible. Just when I was getting to the point where I'd had enough and was ready for it to end, it changed things up in a big way and I was cackling like a lunatic right through to the end.

Bring on Gears 3. Now.
unimatrix7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11 2008, 11:22 PM   #55
apostle83
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to apostle83 Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to apostle83 Send a message via Yahoo to apostle83

Me loves it. Me orgasms.
Old November 11 2008, 11:51 PM   #56
Mistral
Vice Admiral

The Evil Dead wrote: View Post

IGN threw it a 9.2!

I'm gonna pick it up today after work!

My feeling is this: it's probably not much more than a heavily skinned COD4. But I fuckin' adore COD4, so if it's just more COD4 in a different setting, fine with me!

Competitive coop sounds brilliantly fun, too.
Yeah, I've got 3 hours until its in my hands-but I have to wait until like 3-4 hours later to play. Gotta feed the family, put the kid to bed, etc. GRRRRR.

Mistral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12 2008, 12:18 AM   #57
Arrqh
Vice Admiral

View Arrqh's Twitter Profile

Skywalker wrote: View Post
NX_01 Mark wrote: View Post
Some news on what would be the 6th COD game (IW) it has been pushed back from Q4 2009 to Q1 2010 to allow extra work though don't expect it to be called COD 6 my guess is something with Modern Warfare in the title again.
Wow, Activision can't be happy about that. What are they going to do without a big COD release at Christmas time?
Guitar Hero: Call of Duty edition, obviously!
Old November 12 2008, 12:58 AM   #58
Lookingglassman
Admiral

I went out and bought a copy of Far Cry 2 and I like this game MUCH better than COD 5.
Old November 12 2008, 02:51 AM   #59
Sephiroth
Vice Admiral

goddamned dogs man, atleast with the COD 4 helicopter, i could break out the RPG or my M-60 and drop it as soon as i see it, but the dogs continually respawn for a whole minute
No, you clearly don't know who you're talking to, so let me clue you in. I am not in danger, Skyler. I am the danger. A guy opens his door and gets shot and you think that of me? No. I am the one who knocks!
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12 2008, 03:49 AM   #60
jkladis

I'll have to check with my brother. The guys at work were lining up today.

And...

Lookingglassman wrote: View Post
As for shooting through walls. I dont expect my rifles to penetrate concrete, but in many cases the japs or nazis are hiding behind wooden crates or a couch and you have to wait for them to appear in order to shoot them.
Don't forget that these days "Jap" is offensive, especially to Japanese-Americans. We actively discourage that language here. Thanks.
jkladis is offline   Reply With Quote