To Be Takei Review by Spencer Blohm
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Mulgrew: Playing Red

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments

Funko Mini Spock
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Site Forums > TrekToday News Items

TrekToday News Items Discussion of TrekToday news items

Old November 6 2008, 07:39 AM   #1
TrekToday
Rear Admiral

Trek-like Hologram Makes TV Appearance

It's no longer necessary to be interviewed in a certain location, instead one can be "beamed in" via hologram from distant places.

As reported by Dailypress.com, Capitol Hill correspondent Jessica Yellin, in Chicago for the Barack Obama rally, was able to speak to CNN's Wolf Blitzer as if she were in the CNN studio via a holographic projection.

Yellin was filmed in a specially constructed tent, so that there was no interference from other people around her. She explained the technology behind the hologram to Blizter, saying that it involved thirty-five HD cameras.

Another person joined CNN during coverage of the election returns. Performer and Obama supporter Will.I.Am appeared via hologram beamed to the CNN studio to speak with Anderson Cooper. ""Let's see if we can beam him in now," said Cooper, as the image of the performer appeared. Cooper went on to say that "It looks exactly like in 'Star Trek' when they would beam people down. That's what it looks like right here."

To read more, head to the article located here.

Old November 6 2008, 09:37 AM   #2
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile
Re: Trek-like Hologram Makes TV Appearance

It looked more like Star Wars than Star Trek. Trek never had any of the blue outline, did it?
Old November 6 2008, 10:53 AM   #3
Dale
Vice Admiral

I think CNN's ugly little secret is that the "hologram" is virtual and the anchor does not see it. It's a composite image that can be viewed from multiple angles because the camera movements in the studio are telemetry-linked to the computer receiving the shots from the 35 HD cams and generating the image, which is composited into what we see on TV. No 3D image is projected onto the red dot on the CNN studio floor. Blitzer and Cooper were acting (which is in and of itself troubling). Calling it a "hologram" is just a bit of marketing sophistry.
For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear. - 2 Timothy 4:3
Old November 6 2008, 12:40 PM   #4
Admiral Bear
Captain

Dale wrote: View Post
I think CNN's ugly little secret is that the "hologram" is virtual and the anchor does not see it. It's a composite image that can be viewed from multiple angles because the camera movements in the studio are telemetry-linked to the computer receiving the shots from the 35 HD cams and generating the image, which is composited into what we see on TV. No 3D image is projected onto the red dot on the CNN studio floor. Blitzer and Cooper were acting (which is in and of itself troubling). Calling it a "hologram" is just a bit of marketing sophistry.
Agreed, but it did look good.
Old November 6 2008, 12:59 PM   #5
Dale
Vice Admiral

Not saying it wasn't clever... just saying it wasn't a hologram.
For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear. - 2 Timothy 4:3
Old November 6 2008, 02:02 PM   #6
jongredic
Fleet Captain

Yeah, I'm not convinced it's a true hologram either... there's a couple of moments in the first couple of minutes the camera jiggles, but the hologram doesn't move in relation to the background. Also... how exactly is he being 'projected'?

On the other hand, it's a pretty snazzy gimmick, and I'd like to see more of it. Just not on the news. Remember when news used to be about the facts, and not who had the best graphics and LOUDEST REPORTERS?!

I honestly thought Cooper was the hologram at first... Does anyone else think he's got a Max Headroom quality to him?
Old November 6 2008, 02:30 PM   #7
Lindley
Moderator with a Soul

jongredic wrote: View Post
Yeah, I'm not convinced it's a true hologram either... there's a couple of moments in the first couple of minutes the camera jiggles, but the hologram doesn't move in relation to the background.
That's just image stabilization. Combine it with a good initial approximation of the camera's true location, and you can generate a novel view without much trouble if you're got the source material.
Old November 6 2008, 04:18 PM   #8
Blip
Fleet Captain

Admiral Bear wrote: View Post

Also agreed, but: It did not look good.
For those determined to contort yourselves into knots so as to include every minor production flub as gospel, and shoehorn it into "cannnonnnnn": STOP. I don't have all day to waste on here; I quite like enjoying real life thankyouverymuch.
Old November 6 2008, 05:18 PM   #9
Agent Richard07
Admiral

Here's another clip where the Capitol Building along with some election stats are being "projected" onto a table. When I saw them live, I thought they were somewhat cool, but I also found them really distracting because I was trying to figure out how they did it and I couldn't pay attention to the actual coverage. And yeah, it is a bit odd to have news anchors acting in a news piece. If they do keep using this gimmick though, I think we'll get used to it.
Old November 6 2008, 07:04 PM   #10
22 Stars
Commodore

The tech was fine but CNN, a news organization calling it a hologram isn't right. If they report science as innacurately I worry for the future of our society.
Old November 6 2008, 07:10 PM   #11
Admiral Bear
Captain

Blip wrote: View Post
Admiral Bear wrote: View Post

Also agreed, but: It did not look good.
I'm sure I've got Miles O'Brien's phone number somewhere. Maybe if you ask nicely enough, he'll rig you up a Defiant-esque holographic comm system that will look good.
Old November 6 2008, 08:59 PM   #12
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

jongredic wrote: View Post

I honestly thought Cooper was the hologram at first... Does anyone else think he's got a Max Headroom quality to him?
I think he's had that all along, to some extent. I used to watch him years ago on ABC's World News Tonight (if I couldn't get back to sleep at 3 in the morning) and he had it then, too.
Old November 6 2008, 11:09 PM   #13
Basil
Fleet Captain

tomalak301 wrote: View Post
It looked more like Star Wars than Star Trek. Trek never had any of the blue outline, did it?
Yeah, much more like Star Wars. But holographic projections like these are a wave of the future -- I doubt 25 years from now we'll be looking at flat screens anymore.
Old November 7 2008, 12:22 AM   #14
rmkwebdesign
Commander

tomalak301 wrote: View Post
A different article I read on CNN.com today said that the Blue Outline was actually unneccessary, and that they INSERTED the blue outline so that people would really believe it was digital (implying that without the blue outline, the projected image would be nearly impossible to determine).
Old November 7 2008, 03:23 AM   #15
Lindley
Moderator with a Soul

It's fairly easy to do these kinds of effects on TV. When I see one of these in person I'll be impressed.