New Star Trek Funko Pop! Vinyl Figures
By: T'Bonz on Nov 26

QMx Mini Phaser Ornament

Stewart as Neo-Nazi Skinhead

Klingon Bloodwine To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Site Forums > TrekToday News Items

TrekToday News Items Discussion of TrekToday news items

Old November 5 2008, 12:30 AM   #1
TrekToday
Rear Admiral

Blu-ray Star Trek In 2009?

2009 may very well see the release of most of the Star Trek movies in the Blu-Ray Disc format.

As reported by The Digital Bits, now that the HD-DVD/Blu-ray wars are over, fans are eagerly awaiting the release of the Star Trek televised series and the movies in the Blu-ray format of the winner of the DVD format wars.

The word is that in addition to some familiar movies such as Chinatown, Deep Impact, The Ten Commandments, Apocalypse Now, Saturday Night Fever and others, some of the Star Trek feature films are in the planning and/or production stages for release on Blu-ray disk in 2009.

Before the HD-DVD format was discontinued, some Star Trek was offered for sale in that format, such as the first season of the Remastered original series. Now that the Blu-ray format has emerged as the dominant format, it is expected that future releases will in time be offered in the Blu-Ray format.

To read more, head to the article located here.

Old November 5 2008, 03:00 AM   #2
Photoman15
Fleet Captain

Re: Blu-ray Star Trek In 2009?

And so it begins. Paramount once again dips it's greedy little hands into the well.
Old November 5 2008, 03:40 AM   #3
jbrinegar
Lieutenant

Thank goodness the greedy hands are in the well.

I cant wait for some high def Trek.

Hopefully there greed will never reside so we can keep getting improved releases. And if one doesnt like that, then they dont have to buy it.
Old November 5 2008, 04:15 AM   #4
Aragorn
Admiral

If Paramount were greedy, they'd release high def Star Trek bare bones (like with Top Gun HD-DVD), then release a special edition later on with all the bells and whistles. Then they'll release a third edition with even more bells and whistles, but leave out a bunch that were on the second release.
Old November 5 2008, 05:20 AM   #5
Broccoli
Vice Admiral

Photoman15 wrote: View Post
And so it begins. Paramount once again dips it's greedy little hands into the well.
Yes, you said it. We fans should FORBID Paramount/CB$ from releasing the Trek movies in what is sure to become the standard video release format. In fact, I plan to burn my DVDs and only watch my Trek films on my beat-up old VCR recording off television taped before the days of commercial video!
Old November 5 2008, 08:20 AM   #6
jumanji
Ensign

i demand ds9 + tng in bluray! the dvd quality of ds9 is so terrible!
Old November 5 2008, 06:56 PM   #7
ialfan
Fleet Captain

jumanji wrote: View Post
TNG and DS9 wouldn't be much better. The effects were done on video which is much less than full HD resolution or even 720p HD. Every episode would have to be redone to be presented in HD quality.
Old November 5 2008, 08:33 PM   #8
Mr. B
Vice Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. B Send a message via AIM to Mr. B Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Mr. B Send a message via Yahoo to Mr. B

ialfan wrote: View Post
TNG and DS9 wouldn't be much better. The effects were done on video which is much less than full HD resolution or even 720p HD. Every episode would have to be redone to be presented in HD quality.
I wonder what they would have to charge to offset the obscene cost of rescanning the dailies and redoing all the effects.
Old November 5 2008, 09:53 PM   #9
ChristopherPike
Rear Admiral

Mr. B wrote: View Post
I wonder what they would have to charge to offset the obscene cost of rescanning the dailies and redoing all the effects.
Just doing Special Edition versions of selected episodes perhaps? Even then I'm not 100% certain how that would be marketed. Maybe a 24th Century Greatest Hits season. The Top 25 shows culled from TNG, DS9 & VOY, offered as a package like TOS-R, then try to recoup losses thru Blu-ray sales.
Old November 6 2008, 12:58 AM   #10
Chindogu
Commander

Has anyone watched any TNG or DS9 DVDs with an upconverting DVD player on an 1080p HDTV? I'm just wondering how the quality is when doing that.

It seems that when upconverting technology gets to a certain quality level that Paramount/CBS will remaster all the film footage for HiDef and just upconvert the video portions of each episode to match. I'm sure in the long run it would be cheaper and easier for them to do it this way. But I really know very little about upconverting and what the effect would be in the end.
Old November 6 2008, 01:52 AM   #11
James Bond
Rear Admiral

Honestly, I'm just jonesing for TOS-R Blu-Ray right now. I want all the other series as well; but seriously: TOS.On.Blu-Ray.Now.Please.F-F-S.
Old November 6 2008, 02:25 AM   #12
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

Chindogu wrote: View Post
Has anyone watched any TNG or DS9 DVDs with an upconverting DVD player on an 1080p HDTV? I'm just wondering how the quality is when doing that.
It's okay, not great.

It seems that when upconverting technology gets to a certain quality level that Paramount/CBS will remaster all the film footage for HiDef and just upconvert the video portions of each episode to match.
Not possible. Upconverting doesn't work that way.

Whenever you watch TNG, DS9 or Voyager on an HDTV, you are already upconverting (if you weren't, you'd see a small box in the center of the screen which is the actual content, surrounded by wide swathes of black on all sides). Doesn't look that good, does it? Upconverting doesn't make video footage into HD, it just makes it airable *on* an HDTV (but in standard def).
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Old November 6 2008, 05:56 AM   #13
jumanji
Ensign

ialfan wrote: View Post

Exactly.. and it should be done that way. The prices for the current DVDs are insane.. the quality is just terrible! Babylon 5 was around the same time and is significantly better.. and widescreen!

No way i'd ever pay that much money for such a poor quality dvd. If they could sell a remastered set for $500 i'd be game.. but no way i'm paying anywhere near $300 for that terrible set.
Old November 7 2008, 06:25 AM   #14
grabthars hammer
Captain

I will never buy anything blu-ray unless there is no DVD equivalent available. VHS to DVD was a big leap, but DVD to Blu-Ray does not justify the cost of conversion. I became a Trek fan without ever having seen any episodes or films on blu-ray and plan to keep it that way.
Old November 7 2008, 09:20 PM   #15
Timelord Victorious
TARDIS Janitor

No, but I bet you have seen some of the films in the theater and you can't tell me it wasn't a much better experience. Bluray offers a chance to approach that quality if you use a really big screen oder HD beamer and a good surround set up.