Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Takei Has Growth Removed

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old November 3 2008, 05:29 AM   #1
Lapis Exilis
Rear Admiral

Need Help with a Bit of Batman Lore

Has there ever been a story that describes how Alfred came to work for the Waynes, or why he was close enough to the family to have been left custody of Bruce?
Old November 3 2008, 06:30 AM   #2
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Re: Need Help with a Bit of Batman Lore

Lapis Exilis wrote: View Post
Has there ever been a story that describes how Alfred came to work for the Waynes, or why he was close enough to the family to have been left custody of Bruce?
Pre-Crisis he showed up after Bruce became Batman. I think his father worked for the Waynes previously. Batman Year One introduced Alfred as the "old family retainer". (IIRC) I don't recall if Alfred was ever established as Bruce Wayne's legal guardian. At best he was just a father-figure and confidant for the young Bruce Wayne.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 3 2008, 06:39 AM   #3
Small White Car
Rear Admiral

View Small White Car's Twitter Profile

The cartoon "The Batman" made a big deal out of the fact that he was an army medic before becoming a butler.

Does that come from any other source or did that 'toon just make that up?
Small White Car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3 2008, 06:40 AM   #4
nx1701g
Admiral

I seem to remember aspects of Alfred's backstory being covered in No Man's Land. It mentioned his army history, his time as an actor, and that he became the Wayne's butler at the request of his dying father.
Old November 3 2008, 06:49 AM   #5
Norrin Radd
Vice Admiral

Spoiler:

He's actually Bruce's real father.
Norrin Radd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3 2008, 06:56 AM   #6
nx1701g
Admiral

^ [cue ominous music]
Old November 3 2008, 09:45 AM   #7
CommanderTrip
Captain

in the 90's TAS, he was a dashing super secret spy who came to work for the Waynes after he and his old partner - who i think also became a butler - parted ways.

Alfred then became Michael Caine. You may have seen him in a recent film. The Dark Knight. Michael Cain is pretty cool.

and then you have "Can I persuade you to take a sandwich with you sir" Alfred. He was kind of the same thing as TAS Batman. Maybe just a tad more emo-er in Batman & Robin. Ok, maybe a lot more emo-er. Especially when he was programmed in the ba-ba-ba-ba-batcomputer.
Old November 3 2008, 02:16 PM   #8
Gojirob
Rear Admiral

Small White Car wrote: View Post
The cartoon "The Batman" made a big deal out of the fact that he was an army medic before becoming a butler.

A story set during Year 1, but written and published years later, related how Alfred, who was ready to leave Wayne's employ, was drawn back in when he had to keep him alive following his injuries during that first costume-less foray. It was then his skills as a medic were intro'd.
Old November 3 2008, 02:21 PM   #9
Christopher
Writer

Small White Car wrote: View Post

Definitely from the comics. I have a 1982 book called The Untold Legend of the Batman, reprinting a comic-book story by Len Wein, John Byrne, and Jim Aparo that summarized everything the pre-Crisis comics continuity had established about Batman's origins and those of his associates. According to it, he was a soldier in the late days of WWII, helping to free refugees from the Nazis. After the war, he swore off violence and returned to his first love, the stage, but then his dying father made Alfred swear to follow the family tradition of butlering.

I think Alfred's medical skills are post-Crisis, though, to explain how Batman gets his injuries patched up.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3 2008, 06:52 PM   #10
Mike Farley
Commodore

Original Pre-Crisis Alfred came to the service of Bruce Wayne after he had long since become Batman. Even Robin was already around. He was the son of Jarvis who had served the Wayne family and came to Wayne manor at the dying wish of his father.

Alfred started off fat and clean shaven but his appearance was altered to match that of the Alfred who appeared in the 40's Batman serials.

In the 60's Alfred was killed off and a few years later revived but transformed into the villainous Outsider. Eventually he was cured and returned as the Wayne Butler.

Post COIE Alfred was retconned to have been the Wayne family butler for Bruce's whole life and raised Bruce after his parents were killed.

Time as a stage actor and in millitary intelligence have been the in the backgrounds of both versions of Alfred right from the beginning.

Alfred possibly being Bruce's biological father is recent stupidness from the mind of Grant Morrison.
Mike Farley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3 2008, 07:14 PM   #11
Kryton
Admiral

But WHOSE AUNT was Harriet?
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3 2008, 07:24 PM   #12
Mike Farley
Commodore

Harriet was Dick's aunt. She came to the manor during the period that Alfred was believed dead.
Mike Farley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3 2008, 07:28 PM   #13
Lapis Exilis
Rear Admiral

Mike Farley wrote: View Post
Original Pre-Crisis Alfred came to the service of Bruce Wayne after he had long since become Batman. Even Robin was already around. He was the son of Jarvis who had served the Wayne family and came to Wayne manor at the dying wish of his father.

Alfred started off fat and clean shaven but his appearance was altered to match that of the Alfred who appeared in the 40's Batman serials.

In the 60's Alfred was killed off and a few years later revived but transformed into the villainous Outsider. Eventually he was cured and returned as the Wayne Butler.

Post COIE Alfred was retconned to have been the Wayne family butler for Bruce's whole life and raised Bruce after his parents were killed.

Time as a stage actor and in millitary intelligence have been the in the backgrounds of both versions of Alfred right from the beginning.

Alfred possibly being Bruce's biological father is recent stupidness from the mind of Grant Morrison.
I know the history of Alfred (i.e. Pre and Post crisis versions and all), but I'm looking for any stories that actually reveal these bits of his current backstory, particularly any Post-Crisis stories about his history with Thomas and Martha Wayne.

Thanks for all these bits, folks!
Old November 3 2008, 10:28 PM   #14
Corran Horn
Vice Admiral

nx1701g wrote: View Post
I seem to remember aspects of Alfred's backstory being covered in No Man's Land. It mentioned his army history, his time as an actor, and that he became the Wayne's butler at the request of his dying father.
Some of that is Silver Age.
Old November 3 2008, 10:33 PM   #15
nx1701g
Admiral

^ True, but I remember aspects of it from that comic - or it may have been in the novelization. I have both.