Trek 3 To Being Shooting Next Year
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Trek Messenger Bag
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

Star Trek Live In Concert In Australia
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

IDW Publishing December Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Sep 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Battlestar Galactica & Caprica

Battlestar Galactica & Caprica This forum was created by man. It rebelled. It evolved. And it has a plan.

Old October 29 2008, 04:29 PM   #31
David cgc
Vice Admiral

Re: How could they evac Pegasus?

Exactly. The basic idea is that the cylons could hack any system with external inputs they wanted to any time (DRADIS, communications, and so on). It's just pointless because there are so many easier was to confound those systems than cyber-warfare. But if one of those is plugged into another, inaccessible system (navigation, engines, fire control, and so on), then hacking in suddenly becomes worth doing.
Old October 29 2008, 04:36 PM   #32
Kaijufan
Rear Admiral

Yeah but according to the dialog in the episode the networked computers weren't networked to DRADIS or the communications systems. I would think that at most the fire control and navigation computers have something similar to sensors, but I doubt it's something the Cylons could use to plan a virus (or they would of a long time ago to destroy the Galactica by preventing their weapons from working or having them jump into a planet or star).

Old October 29 2008, 05:18 PM   #33
Scout101
Admiral

It's not about the 'network', it's about the wireless, and they really even ignored that in the 3 page explanation as to how it could have worked. Here's the thing:

If I'm running a wireless network in my house (not even to the internet, just computers networked wirelessly to each other), a skilled enough hacker sitting in my driveway can get in. passwords, encryption, firewalls, with enough skills and time, they get through. If instead, I've got those same 4 comptuers hard-wired to each other (and still no internet access), and there's no wireless component, that guy is shit out of luck.

It's the ACCESS that is the key, not that they are talking to each other. If it's wired and shielded, no one else gets in. If the Cylons can hack THAT, they could have hacked every single system individually in a much shorter time (because Gaeda installed the extra firewalls himself just for this, he said), and accomplished the same goal.

ANd it's NOT a pointless goal for the Cylons. Fire Control was one of the systems they were able to get into when it was networked. If they can get into that system, they prevent Galactica from firing their weapons. KInd of an advantage, don't you think? And if it only cost a couple raiders to try, they'd have done that EVERY time.

Whole thing was just bad writing, and then the writer coming up with bad justifications for the bad writing, making it worse...
Perhaps, if I am very lucky, the feeble efforts of my lifetime will someday be noticed and maybe, in some small way, they will be acknowledged as the greatest works of genius ever created by man. ~Jack Handey
STO: @JScout33
Old November 2 2008, 03:53 PM   #34
solariabsg25
Captain

View solariabsg25's Twitter Profile

The problem is, we're dealing with a tech that operates similar to, but differently, to us.

We have never fought an enemy that could over-ride our computer programmes, ordering our weapons to open fire on our own side, or opening us into space.

The Colonials fought the Cylons for over a decade, and it stands to reason that their computer-systems are designed resistant to Cylon interference. We just haven't had someone sit down for a episode explaining how different their computer systems are to ours. DRADIS would appear to be the weak-link, as it has to accept incoming data or it would not work, but shutting off DRADIS, while giving the Cylons an advantage, would not be as devastating as taking power or weapons off-line. From the experiences of the Pegasus in Razor it would seem that weapon stations have their own individual control so could continue firing on manual, even without DRADIS, as engagement appears to be mainly at visual range anyway.

The Colonials were going back to a wholly-networked system, hence the CNP back-door that enabled the Cylon Virus and Logic Bombs to swiftly move from system-system. The CNP could even over-ride any normal virus-warnings that they have (in the Mini Starbuck's Viper systems appeared to give some kind of warning of an incoming virus).

However Galactica's computers may be arranged, they are resistant to the virus infiltration, as evidenced in the Mini. But, as I said, no-one's sat down to explain why.