The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Saldana In The Book of Life

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

View Poll Results: Grade "Star Trek: Destiny: Mere Mortals"
Excellent 98 77.78%
Above Average 15 11.90%
Average 10 7.94%
Below Average 1 0.79%
Poor 2 1.59%
Voters: 126. You may not vote on this poll

Old October 30 2008, 07:29 AM   #61
JeremyW
Commander

Re: Star Trek: Destiny: Mere Mortals - SPOILER Thread

^ I personally don't think it is Natima Lang. Everything I've read about Natima Lang from the post DS9-R to Terok Nor suggests that she has more of an open attitude to positive foreign relations with other societies. Natima Lang I found went against the grain when it came to Cardassian territorialism, and in reading Garak's description of the Castellan (and Bacco's personal revelations), it doesn't jive with Lang.
Old October 30 2008, 01:53 PM   #62
William Leisner
Scribbler

View William Leisner's Twitter Profile

Corran Horned wrote: View Post
JeremyW wrote: View Post
Interesting that there's a female castellan in charge of Cardassia now.
I wonder if it is Natima Lang.
Steve Mollmann wrote: View Post
My totally unsubstantiated guess is Iliana Ghemor. But I'm not sure which one.
Actually, the next book will reveal that...
William Leisner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30 2008, 02:03 PM   #63
ScottDS
Captain

David Mack wrote: View Post
ScottDS wrote: View Post
But I do have to say, after reading from the lower half of page 180 through the upper half of page 185, my first thought was, "If Ingmar Bergman made a Trek movie, it would be like this."
I have to say, as a recovering film major, I take that as a compliment.
As a fellow recovering film major, I meant it as one. I mean, I could've said it reminded me of Woody Allen-style imitation Bergman (see Interiors) but I went for the real thing.

And I also echo the sentiments of my fellow posters when I say it's always disappointing to go to the bookstore and see two feet of Trek novels followed by four shelves of Star Wars novels. I hope that situation changes when the new film comes out.

I just finished the book last night, 100 pages in one shot (which I never do). I can't wait for the next one! You've done a man's job, sir.
ScottDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30 2008, 02:13 PM   #64
David Mack
Writer

View David Mack's Twitter Profile

ScottDS wrote: View Post
You've done a man's job, sir.
Nice Blade Runner nod.

Thanks, glad you liked the book.

Join me on Facebook & Twitter
David Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30 2008, 03:00 PM   #65
Stephen!
Captain

Aranamac wrote: View Post
when Fletcher is needing a good shag, Hernandez mentions something like "going into your room and being your own best friend" or such like that.
Maybe Fletcher was hoping to get some from Hernandez
Stephen! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30 2008, 03:58 PM   #66
Dayton Ward
Word Pusher

View Dayton Ward's Twitter Profile

"tlhingAn HoL, Mother F*cker! Do you speak it?!"
Dayton Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31 2008, 12:14 PM   #67
Chi'pok
Lieutenant

Dayton Ward wrote: View Post
I agree!

Loved the world building; wish we could have seen more about the first light galaxy...

the Caeliar are one of the most interesting races I've read about; also the name reminds me of my Latin studies. Caeli means heavens in Latin; so I take Caeliar to mean the Heavenly Ones or something like that; David, is that a reasonable guess? Also, I liked how confident Dax became.

overall, I loved it!!!

can't wait for Lost Souls! More, more!
Chi'pok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31 2008, 05:01 PM   #68
David Mack
Writer

^ Not a bad guess on the Latin. Thanks for your comments, and I hope Lost Souls continues to meet or exceed your expectations.

Old October 31 2008, 06:28 PM   #69
Stephen!
Captain

casey wrote: View Post
One more thing that I forgot to add to my mini review is how I felt about the Borg invasion. It was absolutely chilling. 7,000 cubes! This is what I have been waiting for forever.
Somewhat overkill with the number of cubes committed to the destruction of the federation, but I guess the Borg aren't taking any chances. Or perhaps it's a slow day in the collective and most of those cubes aren't needed elsewhere in the galaxy.
Stephen! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31 2008, 06:53 PM   #70
David Mack
Writer

^ Well, the Borg aren't just trying to destroy the Federation; they also intend to eradicate or subjugate all the Alpha and Beta Quadrant powers in proximity to the UFP, which incluides the Romulans, Klingons, Cardassians, Gorn, Breen, etc. A decisive win would give the Borg a major presence in previously troublesome part of the galaxy and serve as a springboard to further expansion.

Old November 1 2008, 12:22 AM   #71
Chi'pok
Lieutenant

Hi David; thanks for your reply. Much appreciated. I also wanted to mention regarding Axion (a very cool idea) that I was pleasantly reminded of James Blish's Cities in Flight stories from way back. I loved those stories also; similar world building going on.

again, thanks!
Chi'pok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1 2008, 03:19 AM   #72
JD
Admiral

This isn't actually about Lost Souls, not Mere Mortals, but it's really not big enough to get a whole thread to itself.

Has anyone else here read the Lost Souls excerpt in Star Trek Magazine yet? I just did, and now I am more certain than ever that the Caeliar tie into the origin of the Borg.
Old November 1 2008, 04:16 AM   #73
casey
Lieutenant Commander

Just Died wrote: View Post
This isn't actually about Lost Souls, not Mere Mortals, but it's really not big enough to get a whole thread to itself.

Has anyone else here read the Lost Souls excerpt in Star Trek Magazine yet? I just did, and now I am more certain than ever that the Caeliar tie into the origin of the Borg.
I haven't yet, so I will have to go out tomorrow and find it.

While I am still convinced that the Caeliar be related to the Borg, I did stumble upon something when I was going through the book again that might be problematic. On Page 110, second full paragraph from the bottom, Inyx explains to Hernandez: "Because the passage of our cities and the others in the past has resulted in no detectable change of the timeline, we have deduced that these events must have occurred in the timeline that we consider standard."

Now, I find it hard to think that the Caeliar hadn't noticed the huge difference in the timeline that there are suddenly millions of Borg running about assimilating everyone.

But, actually as I have been typing this, I am realizing that it isn't so problematic, because, after all, the book is Destiny. It does make sense that the Borg existed in the timeline before the city left, so perhaps the Caeliar didn't realize that they themselve were responsible. . . Which of itself seems odd as well. But the description of Lost Souls does use the term "Inescapable final destiny" or something like that.

Anyhow, just some possibly incoherent ramblings. . . But I think tying "destiny" into time travel makes sense. In Star Trek we often see the timeline before the change, and then after the change--but honestly does the "before" ever really happen?? (Yes, I watched Generations today, and am still hung up on the whole paradox).
Old November 1 2008, 04:33 AM   #74
DGCatAniSiri
Captain

David Mack wrote: View Post
^ Well, the Borg aren't just trying to destroy the Federation; they also intend to eradicate or subjugate all the Alpha and Beta Quadrant powers in proximity to the UFP, which incluides the Romulans, Klingons, Cardassians, Gorn, Breen, etc. A decisive win would give the Borg a major presence in previously troublesome part of the galaxy and serve as a springboard to further expansion.
Let me just say, just the mere image of 7000 cubes pouring out of the tunnels was enough to make me fear the Borg once again, even if I hadn't already returned to that position in the previous book. It really hits home the idea that the Borg previously didn't consider the Federation a threat, just an annoyance.
DGCatAniSiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1 2008, 04:49 AM   #75
Christopher
Writer

casey wrote: View Post
While I am still convinced that the Caeliar be related to the Borg, I did stumble upon something when I was going through the book again that might be problematic. On Page 110, second full paragraph from the bottom, Inyx explains to Hernandez: "Because the passage of our cities and the others in the past has resulted in no detectable change of the timeline, we have deduced that these events must have occurred in the timeline that we consider standard."

Now, I find it hard to think that the Caeliar hadn't noticed the huge difference in the timeline that there are suddenly millions of Borg running about assimilating everyone.
But that's the whole point of Inyx's statement -- that the event didn't alter the timeline, it recursively caused the events that were already part of the timeline. It's a "predestination paradox," like how the Enterprise going back in time and intercepting Gary Seven was just a part of how events in 1968 had "always" happened.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote