Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old October 30 2008, 11:47 PM   #16
The Wormhole
Admiral

Re: The Kelvin's uniforms

JuanBOOlio wrote: View Post
I hope they'll be similar to those from The Cage. Actually, I would've liked to see design in general (of the Enterprise bridge and the uniforms we've seen) be more like those from The Cage, but I guess they were shooting for familiarity with the main run of TOS.

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
...Abrams and his cohorts don't know what they are doing. The Kelvin with its one nacelle and registry starting with zero are proof of that.
There's nothing inherently wrong with either one... and we don't even know for a fact yet that the Kelvin has one nacelle.

Where the hell could a possible second nacelled be hiding?
Old October 30 2008, 11:47 PM   #17
Procutus
Admiral

M'Sharak wrote: View Post

given the real-world tendency for uniform styles to undergo drastic change, often in non-linear fashion, over relatively short periods (let alone such changes seen in the Star Trek universe, such as the one from TMP to TWoK) the uniforms we see worn by Robau's crew could just as logically be completely different from the uniforms worn by Pike's crew as they could be closely similar.

This isn't likely to happen, but I wouldn't mind seeing unis that resembled the ENT ones, with modification. However, in 70 plus years, I'm relatively certain they would've changed, especially after Starfleet became attached to the UFP once it formed.
Old October 31 2008, 01:50 AM   #18
Basil
Fleet Captain

I really don't anticipate seeing any variations of the uniforms beyond what we've seen -- TOS-ish ship's uniforms and cadet pajamas. This film isn't really sticking carefully to "canon," so the thinking will probably reveal a monolithic aesthetic, even in scenes taking place in the past of the story proper.
Basil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31 2008, 02:06 AM   #19
Squiggy
LORD SHIT SUPREME

View Squiggy's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Squiggy

If Abrams and his cohorts knew what they were doing, than yes, they would be Cage inspired. But Abrams and his cohorts don't know what they are doing. The Kelvin with its one nacelle and registry starting with zero are proof of that.

Yes, I am going to keep driving this issue into the ground.
Indeed. Nothing says "future" like sweaters.
Old October 31 2008, 07:25 AM   #20
-Brett-
Rear Admiral

From the sound of it, the Kelvin crew doesn't get much screentime. Not alive, anyway. Sounds like they get attacked by Romulans in the first scene or two. I kinda doubt there'd be a drastically different uniform that would only be used for a few scenes.
-Brett- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31 2008, 07:37 AM   #21
davidant32
Commodore

I think it would be cool if the Kelvin crew was wearing ENT-style uniforms, or at least ENT-inspired ones from after TATV. It'd be fun for fans, although they may look too different from the XI uniforms.
Old October 31 2008, 07:44 AM   #22
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

M'Sharak wrote: View Post
Given that the events involving the Kelvin may take place a decade or more prior to the events seen in "The Cage", and given the real-world tendency for uniform styles to undergo drastic change, often in non-linear fashion, over relatively short periods (let alone such changes seen in the Star Trek universe, such as the one from TMP to TWoK) the uniforms we see worn by Robau's crew could just as logically be completely different from the uniforms worn by Pike's crew as they could be closely similar.

I'm not seeing this as a huge deal, one way or the other, so long as they're not glaringly out of place like something belonging to a Star Wars or BSG universe.
A decade or more before The Cage? The Cage was more than a decade before TOS, and Kirk was 34 (+/-) in TOS. Doesn't really add up.
Doesn't it?

Though it's admittedly not an ironclad source, the EW article gives the time of the attack on the Kelvin (with George Kirk, Sr. aboard) as being "before Kirk is even born". Even giving EW a reasonable margin for embroidery in the interest of selling magazines and ad-views, it seems in the ballpark to me.
Old October 31 2008, 08:16 AM   #23
wamdue
Admiral

NCC-1967 wrote: View Post
As we all know by now, the USS Kelvin is "from a generation before the Enterprise".
So that means that the uniforms worn by Capt. Robau & Co. will be very (or slightly) different from the ones Quinto, Pine and the others are wearing in this recent batch of photos.
Any thoughts on how they'll look like?
"The Cage" inspired, maybe?
hang on im confused, why just becasue the ship is old, does that mean its crew would not wear the new uniforms supplied by starfleet, unless this part of the movie is set before most of it, or they have been lost in space for a few years so they crew have not had chance to take on new uniforms, ala Voyager.
Old October 31 2008, 09:02 AM   #24
Devon
Fleet Captain

wamdue wrote: View Post
unless this part of the movie is set before most of it,
Bingo. It's "before Kirk's time."
Devon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31 2008, 09:03 AM   #25
JuanBolio
Admiral

Devon wrote: View Post
Yeah, the EW article mentioned the attack on the Kelvin happening before Kirk is even born.

This has been an official JuanBolio post. You are now stronger, smarter, and a better human being for having read it. Congratulations.
JuanBolio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31 2008, 09:08 AM   #26
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

If Abrams and his cohorts knew what they were doing, than yes, they would be Cage inspired. But Abrams and his cohorts don't know what they are doing. The Kelvin with its one nacelle and registry starting with zero are proof of that.
I seem to recall an interview where they said that by the end everything would be closer to the way TOS fans remembered, and I thought this was in reference to uniforms and the bridge. I won't be surprised if Kirk's Dad wears an older style uniform.

In any case, Enterprise NX-01 and Columbia NX-02 had zeros in them, so why not Kelvin's number? If JJ didn't have a "0" people would claim he was ignoring ENT canon.
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31 2008, 09:30 AM   #27
Timo
Admiral

I could see Starfleet thinking "we'll have more ships than nine!" when giving the registries to the Enterprise and the Columbia, but correspondingly not thinking "we'll have more ships than 999!" when registering the Grissom...

Then again, if people don't like the idea of NCC-0514, they can always say the Kelvin is NCC-O514. No character on screen is likely to pronounce the "zero" or "ough" anyway, so the verbal form of registry will still be simple 514; whether one adds the TAS-style definer "O for Observation" would be a matter of personal preference, and perhaps George Kirk doesn't prefer to.

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31 2008, 09:52 AM   #28
wamdue
Admiral

Devon wrote: View Post
Yeah, the EW article mentioned the attack on the Kelvin happening before Kirk is even born.
before Kirk was born, very well I say they use uniforms from Enterprise, and give a slightly aged T'Pol a quick cameo,
Old October 31 2008, 09:54 AM   #29
JuanBolio
Admiral

Uniforms from Enterprise almost 100 years after that show took place? Dunno about that. A T'Pol cameo? Why???

This has been an official JuanBolio post. You are now stronger, smarter, and a better human being for having read it. Congratulations.
JuanBolio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31 2008, 11:20 AM   #30
SalvorHardin
Rear Admiral

View SalvorHardin's Twitter Profile

Yes, I am going to keep driving this issue into the ground.
It was driven into the ground about 50 of your posts ago....You are now approaching Earths core....

I hope they'll be similar to those from The Cage. Actually, I would've liked to see design in general (of the Enterprise bridge and the uniforms we've seen) be more like those from The Cage, but I guess they were shooting for familiarity with the main run of TOS.

...Abrams and his cohorts don't know what they are doing. The Kelvin with its one nacelle and registry starting with zero are proof of that.
There's nothing inherently wrong with either one... and we don't even know for a fact yet that the Kelvin has one nacelle.

Where the hell could a possible second nacelled be hiding?
That's where the 0 in the registry comes into play. It retracts and the second nacelle springs out of there.
Mass shifting is involved.

SalvorHardin is offline   Reply With Quote