CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Saldana In The Book of Life

Cracked’s New Sci-Fi Satire
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Fiction

Fan Fiction Other forums talk about Trek. We make it.

Old October 30 2008, 08:21 PM   #46
SLWatson
Captain

Send a message via AIM to SLWatson
Re: ST:TOS - General Fanfic

Nerys Dukat wrote: View Post
That's funny! For some reason, I would've pegged Chekov as the messy one, not Sulu!

I love how you repeat the "facts of the case" to drive home Chekov's indignation.

"Chekov just stared. He had a galley stove in his quarters. He had goo on his table. There was white powder on his floor."

You can just feel him getting more and more steamed!
With Sulu's characterization, I always really liked how the L.A. Graf team wrote him, Chekov and Uhura, and usually go with that interpretation. That's where Sulu's fifty-million hobbies came from. Thanks so much for the comment! My sister is a Chekov-devotee, and this was all for her.

Mistral wrote: View Post
*snicker* This would have been good for our humor challenge a few months back.
Thanks! Had I been here, I doubtless woulda been in on it. I'll keep an eye out for the next!

Last edited by SLWatson; October 30 2008 at 08:22 PM. Reason: clarifying
SLWatson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31 2008, 01:56 AM   #47
DavidFalkayn
Commodore

I can sympathize completely with Kirk--I hate tax time! Also liked the Sulu and Chekov scene with Chekov as the long-suffering buddy.

These are really very nice vignettes, but can we coax you into a longer project?
Old October 31 2008, 02:34 AM   #48
SLWatson
Captain

DavidFalkayn wrote: View Post
I can sympathize completely with Kirk--I hate tax time! Also liked the Sulu and Chekov scene with Chekov as the long-suffering buddy.

These are really very nice vignettes, but can we coax you into a longer project?
You poor thing. When I start posting my long storyline, you're probably gonna cry for me to please go back to writing short little stories.

Thank you for the comment!
Old October 31 2008, 07:07 AM   #49
SLWatson
Captain

Title: A Little Sympathy
Rating: Barely PG; one very mild cuss word
Prompt: 'Scruffy' by InfiniteViking
Timeline: 2267
Words: 878
Disclaimer: All Paramount's, not mine.
Notes: This is a bit of kind of silly, fluffy humor. It also may explain why Spock was so zen later on with the space hippies.

--

Shore leave had been surprisingly pleasant. McCoy wasn't sure that he would enjoy it, but it had surprised him. It was a routine stop, in this case -- an average Earth colony on a nice world called Chara II. The planet's original ecology had been pretty much wiped out by Earth native species, a mistake made when colonization was still in its fledgling steps well more than a century ago, and so going down there was a good deal like going home.

Jim and Spock had both gone, but Jim ended up having to return to the Enterprise early to handle the subspace calls about their last mission, most of them looking for an explanation for his actions then. Spock, on the other hand...

If someone would have told McCoy that he would have been able to spend that kind of time in Spock's company and not lose his mind, he wouldn't have believed them. But that was exactly what had happened.

Of course, the fact that Spock had been arrested might have had something to do with it.

Chara II had likewise somehow become home to a good number of alternative lifestyles. Put more succinctly... hippies. The planet was crawling with hippies. Whole towns full of them had sprung up and had established their own little governments... well, McCoy wasn't sure there was anything particularly government about them, but he had to call them something. And Spock had broken the law.

"I fail to see the logic in singing songs to the sun as it rises. The sun isn't sentient, and therefore cannot possibly react to the gesture."

The group of people had looked at the Vulcan with an incredible amount of pity and understanding. McCoy had wisely kept his mouth shut. He was a human... well, really, tried to be an 'anythingitarian' and so long as the people were healthy, happy and not committing any atrocities or causing anyone pain, he saw no problems with their lifestyle. Sure, he personally thought that the amount of singing, dancing and otherwise was a little silly, but everyone in the community was there by their free will, and they really were healthy and happy.

Spock, who did believe in IDIC, was still not very good at keeping his logical conclusions to himself and proceeded to elaborate on exactly why he found these rituals to be illogical and a waste of energy and resources. So, the hippies arrested him.

Spock also happened to believe in respecting the law. He was stuck good.

For the next three days, the Vulcan had to adhere to the laws of the community. No bars or cells, he simply had to serve out his sentence by being a participant in the community and obeying the laws of it. Those laws insisted that he bathe in a stream, not shave or otherwise defile his natural appearance, wear clothing that was drawn respectfully from the land, and sing and dance in accordance to community law. He worked in the community's gardens. He went with the aura-readers to look for trees that could be harvested for lumber. And even though McCoy knew that it probably rankled him, under his calm exterior, Spock sang right along with the rest of them.

McCoy, of course, could not help but stick around. He might have gone and visited other places on Chara II, but Spock living the hippy lifestyle was too much for him to resist. He didn't even have to say anything -- after a few hours of Spock looking up to see his grinning face, Spock had done a very good job of not making eye contact with McCoy thereafter.

After three days where Spock had lived the hippy lifestyle, he was released with a full-pardon and many warm hugs. That was almost as good as the initial arrest.

They beamed back to find a rather harried looking Jim Kirk waiting for them in the transporter room.

The captain took a long look at his first officer in sandals, and a five o'clock shadow that was just starting to really come in good, wearing brightly colored woven clothing and flowers around his neck. "You're..."

McCoy beamed a smile. "Looks pretty peaceful, huh, Jim? Sure, he's a little scruffy, but I think this shore leave was an enlightening experience for Mister Spock here."

Spock cleared his throat, quietly, a sure sign of his discomfort. "I am... relieved to be back aboard. If you would excuse me, I would like to change into my proper duty attire."

"Sure," Jim said, though he was still staring at Spock like he couldn't quite believe it. It was only after the vulcan left that he looked at McCoy. "Do I want to know what that was all about?"

McCoy took a deep breath and let it out in a happy sigh. "You don't wanna miss it."

And as they left, and McCoy proceeded to tell the whole story, the thought occurred to him that the next time Spock encountered hippies, he might be a little more sympathetic, or at least appear to be. Of course, when he thought that... he never did realize that it would come back to bite him in the ass.
Old October 31 2008, 04:07 PM   #50
Nerys Ghemor
Vice Admiral

Hah, what an image! Now remind me, what episode was the one involving the space hippies?

(I'm afraid I know most TOS episodes by summary, not by having actually seen them.)
Old October 31 2008, 04:22 PM   #51
SLWatson
Captain

Hah, what an image! Now remind me, what episode was the one involving the space hippies?

(I'm afraid I know most TOS episodes by summary, not by having actually seen them.)
That would be The Way to Eden, which is not exactly the best and brightest TOS has to offer. There were a lot of things that kinda sucked about it, and Spock having a jam session with the hippies was a little wince-worthy.
Old October 31 2008, 06:16 PM   #52
Gibraltar
Rear Admiral

SLWatson wrote: View Post

That would be The Way to Eden, which is not exactly the best and brightest TOS has to offer. There were a lot of things that kinda sucked about it, and Spock having a jam session with the hippies was a little wince-worthy.
True, but at no point did someone cock their head and ask, "Brain, brain... what is brain?"
Old October 31 2008, 06:20 PM   #53
SLWatson
Captain

Gibraltar wrote: View Post
]True, but at no point did someone cock their head and ask, "Brain, brain... what is brain?"
Oh, absolutely. LOL! I adore TOS into the very bottom of my heart, but there was plenty of bad to go around. Space hippies or Spock's Brain, there were definitely moments of wince-worthy material.
Old October 31 2008, 06:33 PM   #54
SLWatson
Captain

Title: Rituals
Rating: G
Timeline: 2267
Words: 420
Disclaimer: They belong to Paramount, not me.
Notes: For my friend Gumnut -- Kirk, Spock and McCoy share a ritual, but it's not the one you may think. Kinda grim, but not. Last of my 'general' short stories.

--

McCoy rarely joined them while they were playing chess; Kirk supposed that the doctor didn't want to intrude on the ritual. Neither he nor Spock minded when crewmen would come up to speak with one or both of them while they played, but mostly they were left alone. It was something Kirk didn't fail to appreciate, either -- the relative peace with which to play a game, and have a conversation with his friend. He usually felt more centered and calm after, even when the hours or days before they sat down to share a game had been difficult.

But McCoy was with them tonight, sitting on the side and keeping quiet. It had been one of those times; a mission that went bad, cost lives. They'd come through the other side and salvaged the objective, but that didn't make the loss of life just vanish into the haze of history.

No matter how much Kirk wished that it was that easy.

Spock seemed the most unruffled of the three, which was no surprise. Both of them, even McCoy, knew that it was more facade than fact. The science officer had lost two crewmen, in ways that would have never happened had they been given the right information, and after this game, Spock would be going back to his quarters to compose letters to their families. Kirk knew that, because he knew he would be doing the same.

McCoy would also be writing letters as the CMO; for anyone who died on this mission, and then yet more letters to those who were wounded badly enough for their families to be notified.

As he pondered his next move, in the silence of the rec hall with his two closest friends keeping silent company, Kirk realized that the ritual they were sharing now wasn't the game of chess, but the solemn duty and sad honor of writing letters to families. That in their silence, they were quietly looking for the words that they would hopefully use to explain and even try to comfort those they were writing to. That in their silence, they were quietly looking to each other -- not for words, not for sympathies, but for the simple knowledge that they all needed: That they wouldn't be performing this solemn duty alone tonight.

Deep down, unbidden, he thanked whatever good power there was in the universe that neither man would have to write a letter to his family for him.

His home was already with them.
Old October 31 2008, 06:41 PM   #55
Nerys Ghemor
Vice Admiral

Very good...this is something we don't always get to see, except in written stories most of the time: the aftermath of the battle, and how that must weigh on the commanders involved. No matter how important your cause is, it still hurts.
Old October 31 2008, 06:53 PM   #56
Gibraltar
Rear Admiral

Very good...this is something we don't always get to see, except in written stories most of the time: the aftermath of the battle, and how that must weigh on the commanders involved. No matter how important your cause is, it still hurts.
Amen to that. Very nice work on this SLWatson. Brief, yet very poignant.
Old October 31 2008, 07:03 PM   #57
SLWatson
Captain

It does hurt, I'm certain of it. I take a really eye-level view of the characters in Trek. If you end up reading the Arc of the Wolf, you'll see what I mean. I love a good battle scene, but really am not so good at writing them; love action and adventure, but still struggle with it. So, most everything I write, even with battles and adventure, tends to be character-driven above all.

Thanks so much for the comment!

Amen to that. Very nice work on this SLWatson. Brief, yet very poignant.
Thank you. I wasn't too sure of this one, and still am not perfectly thrilled with it, but if it hit a chord then I've done my job.
Old October 31 2008, 07:11 PM   #58
Gibraltar
Rear Admiral

This is the kind of thing my characters would struggle through alone, without even the cold comfort of knowing their friends shared the same burden. It's nice to know Kirk, Spock, and McCoy had this outlet, even though it wasn't spoken of aloud.
Old October 31 2008, 07:16 PM   #59
SLWatson
Captain

This is the kind of thing my characters would struggle through alone, without even the cold comfort of knowing their friends shared the same burden. It's nice to know Kirk, Spock, and McCoy had this outlet, even though it wasn't spoken of aloud.
Yeah? Got some stoics in your cast?

And yeah, I'm kinda glad for it too. I've written my share of emotional stoics, and the more isolated they are, the more they tend to suffer.
Old October 31 2008, 07:18 PM   #60
Gibraltar
Rear Admiral

SLWatson wrote: View Post
Yeah? Got some stoics in your cast?

And yeah, I'm kinda glad for it too. I've written my share of emotional stoics, and the more isolated they are, the more they tend to suffer.
They've suffered their share, to be sure.