Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old October 29 2008, 03:49 PM   #181
ST-One
Vice Admiral

Re: Empire Magazine pics!

The God Thing wrote: View Post
GilmourD wrote: View Post
You can tell that from the pic in what you quoted? I really don't think there's enough detail there to tell.
They are ridged pipes attached to flat panels mounted on spacecraft components that presumably generate by far the greatest amount of waste heat when operating. What else could they be?

TGT
Bits and pieces glued to a filming-miniature to give a sense of scale, detail and functionality?
ST-One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29 2008, 03:50 PM   #182
GodThingFormerly
A Different Kind of Asshole

ST-One wrote: View Post
Bits and pieces glued to a filming-miniature to give a sense of scale, detail and functionality?
Why can't they be both?

TGT
GodThingFormerly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29 2008, 03:53 PM   #183
GilmourD
Lieutenant Commander

You can tell that from the pic in what you quoted? I really don't think there's enough detail there to tell.
They are ridged pipes attached to flat panels mounted on spacecraft components that presumably generate by far the greatest amount of waste heat when operating. What else could they be?

TGT
What I meant was that you can tell that the new Enterprise has things in those positions that now have different functions? We can barely tell how big anything is or any details, so I'd hold off on assuming that those are no longer heat pipe radiators.
GilmourD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29 2008, 03:56 PM   #184
Jackson_Roykirk
Commodore

Starship Polaris wrote: View Post
Women's rank is tattooed across the lower back.

...With shoes that cut, and eyes that burn like cigarettes
With fingernails that shine like justice and a voice that is dark like tinted glass...
Jackson_Roykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29 2008, 04:02 PM   #185
GodThingFormerly
A Different Kind of Asshole

What I meant was that you can tell that the new Enterprise has things in those positions that now have different functions? We can barely tell how big anything is or any details, so I'd hold off on assuming that those are no longer heat pipe radiators.
Oh. I suppose I let myself be swayed by PixelMagic's interpretation/extrapolation of the teaser design he posted in his thread.

TGT
GodThingFormerly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29 2008, 04:11 PM   #186
Cryogenic
Lieutenant Commander

Does anyone else get a bad feeling about any of this?

I mean, OK, it's got that nice 'n' shiny, slick, touchy-feely, see-your-stubble, expensive feel about it ....... and then what?

Even that nice 'n' shiny, slick, touchy-feely, see-your-stubble, expensive feel is inherently troubling. By overextending with extraneous details, they have not merely gummed up the magical Trek mythos, but actually regressed it:

1) A curved window with internal reflections is a poor "improvement" on a flat, unreflecting viewscreen. I'm sure that that's going to be a big help in tricky, think-fast situations. "Wait, what is that Bird of Prey doing? Oh, it's .... AARGH! Sulu, turn your f*cking console off. I just got blinded, again!"

2) Deep-hued, lycra-based uniforms give the illusion of progress, but they are also a step backwards from the pastel-coloured cottons of the original uniforms. The new uniforms are harsh and cold, while the odd are warm and inviting. Because he's employed newer fibres, I'm sure Abrams thinks that he's "updated" Trek, but he clearly isn't aware of artistic concepts like subtlety and understatement. The old uniforms implied higher technology that was mimicking older, more familiar fabric for psychosomatic comfort, while secretly possessing new, vastly beneficial properties (such as improved heat insulation, greater tensile, non-ripping strength, biometric field generation etc.).

Just two examples of how bone-headed this jazzed-up version is. The bridge itself is also a major eyesore: gaudy, unrelenting, in-yer-face. British posters will know what I mean when I say it reminds me of walking round the high street chemist "Boots".

Then there is everything else, which may be uniquely summed up by the new "Empire" promotional shot (hence my posting in here). Not only is the lighting in the 40+ year old photo of Shatner and Nimoy ten times better, not only do Shatner and Nimoy have more defined faces with vastly better skin tone, not only was the photo taken from a more compelling angle with Shatner and Nimoy looking up, but the older actors themselves simply convey their personalities, and, hence, their characters, and the series they represent, better. Who was it, pray, who told Christopher Pine (haha!) and Zachary Quinto to lean against each other like lovers, rather than commander and confidante? So, so, so stupid.

And that's this Trek endeavour in a nutshell, I feel. 'Course, I could be unkind and rip on 101 other things -- like the casting, like the use of CG, like the villain (Nero? F*cking NERO???) -- but maybe I shouldn't. Then again, maybe these people shouldn't be meddling so egotistically, needlessly and pathetically with something beyond their combined powers of conception. The villain is a brilliant example. He just seems like exactly the sort of 2-bit antagonist, serving the purposes of exactly the sort of 2-bit action-adventure format, that Trek has been heinously dumbed-down, and more or less killed-off, by. Gee, this is gonna be a swell motion picture.
Cryogenic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29 2008, 04:16 PM   #187
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Cryogenic wrote: View Post
Does anyone else get a bad feeling about any of this?
Nope, it all looks great.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29 2008, 04:21 PM   #188
GilmourD
Lieutenant Commander

Oh. I suppose I let myself be swayed by PixelMagic's interpretation/extrapolation of the teaser design he posted in his thread.

TGT
As absolutely gorgeous as his model is, there are actually some noticable differences between the official picture and his model.

For instance, look at the placement of the registry numbers in comparison to hull plates on both.

Also, the section of the upper hull underneath the bridge dome above the highest part of the hull curve proper has a different shape. The section I'm talking about is clearly marked with a red line on his model while it looks like it could be the division between plates on the official pic.

Also, the taper of the top of the bridge dome appears to be different in both.

And finally, what appear to be "air intake openings" on the front part of the thing located where the heat pipe radiators are/were appears to be a MUCH LARGER opening on his picture compared to the official.

Here's his.

Here's the official pic.
Old October 29 2008, 04:24 PM   #189
SonicRanger
Rear Admiral

. . . 'Course, I could be unkind and rip on 101 other things -- like the casting, like the use of CG, like the villain (Nero? F*cking NERO???) -- but maybe I shouldn't. Then again, maybe these people shouldn't be meddling so egotistically, needlessly and pathetically with something beyond their combined powers of conception. The villain is a brilliant example. He just seems like exactly the sort of 2-bit villain, serving the purposes of exactly the sort of 2-bit action-adventure, that Trek has been heinously dumbed-down, and more or less killed-off . . .
Yeah, I know what you mean. That first scene with Nero was terrible! I just couldn't believe the writing and characterization in that scene! It just rips the heart out of Trek! Erica Bana is no Ricardo Montalban! Bring back Klaa! And that name for a Romulan! Didn't they watch TOS? Decius isn't a Roman name! They just screwed up like VOY did and called Romans names like R'Mor and Rekar. And CG? WTF? They didn't have CG in the 1960s! Fuckers.
Old October 29 2008, 04:29 PM   #190
StCoop
Commodore

Then again, maybe these people shouldn't be meddling so egotistically, needlessly and pathetically with something beyond their combined powers of conception.
On a miserable day thanks for giving me a laugh.

It's Star Trek we're talking about here. People in silly costumes shooting (and shagging) people in sillier costumes and makeup.
StCoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29 2008, 04:31 PM   #191
ST-One
Vice Admiral

1) A curved window with internal reflections is a poor "improvement" on a flat, unreflecting viewscreen. I'm sure that that's going to be a big help in tricky, think-fast situations. "Wait, what is that Bird of Prey doing? Oh, it's .... AARGH! Sulu, turn your f*cking console off. I just got blinded, again!"

Never mind the fact that each console, work station whatever has its own displays, monitors, readouts... Rembember that cool little targeting scanner-thing Sulu had at his station?

The bridge could do very well without that viewscreen. It is (and always was) just eye-candy for us viewers (the audience). In actuality such a big screen serves no practical purpose (other than maybe for the weekly screening of 'Orion Slaves go DIRTY')
ST-One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29 2008, 04:34 PM   #192
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

There's no real functionality to that great big main viewer on Federation ships anyway. It's a storytelling device for the benefit of the audience.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29 2008, 04:37 PM   #193
GilmourD
Lieutenant Commander

StCoop wrote: View Post
Then again, maybe these people shouldn't be meddling so egotistically, needlessly and pathetically with something beyond their combined powers of conception.
On a miserable day thanks for giving me a laugh.

It's Star Trek we're talking about here. People in silly costumes shooting (and shagging) people in sillier costumes and makeup.
I wonder if Shatner had ever gotten green makeup on him from snogging with an Orion.
Old October 29 2008, 04:41 PM   #194
EnsignJulka
Captain

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to EnsignJulka

Well just bought my copy of Empire and just saw a picture of Quinto in his Spock garb flicking through a copy of a magazine...
Old October 29 2008, 04:45 PM   #195
Captain Robert April
Vice Admiral

Location: In selfless service to fandom, on the road to becoming a Star Trek trivia god...

137th Gebirg wrote: View Post
ancient wrote: View Post
I don't see any window on the model in the trailer. I think they're just putting in the saucer edge to help the audience figure out where the bridge is, and make it seem more a part of a bigger whole.
I'm thinking it might be an homage to the pilot variant of the Enterprise bridge, which seemed to have an immense rectangular light on the front of the bridge dome, almost implying that the viewscreen was always thought of as a window back then:

Yeah, "Viewer on, Mr. Kelso," sure implies it's a window...
Captain Robert April is offline   Reply With Quote